New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default Why are some spells not on DNDbeyond?

On Wikidot, I find wizard spells like Puppet, Mind Thrust, and Ego Whip. However, these spells don't appear to be found on DNDbeyond (which my campaign is using for character building). Does anyone know the reason for that?

Also, I note that Wikidot lists Divination as a wizard/cleric/druid spell whereas according to DNDbeyond it's cleric only. Again, why is that?
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

Default Re: Why are some spells not on DNDbeyond?

Those spells are all unearthed arcana and do not appear in any of the books available in dndbeyond.
    Black text is for sarcasm, also sincerity. You'll just have to read between the lines and infer from context like an animal

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

BardGuy

Divination is added to the Druid and Wizard spell lists by optional rules (from Tasha's Cauldron of Everything). Those rules, being optional, aren't assumed to be in effect by D&D Beyond. (Although I bet most DMs are perfectly fine with them.)

Wikidot is the type of resource which is incorrect just infrequently enough to be dangerous. There is another similar, much, much better site that I will only ask you find for yourself.
    Last edited by meandean; 2024-02-17 at 11:29 AM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Spamalot in the Playground

In the character builder, if you have Optional Class Features enabled, Divination will correctly show up as a spell option for your 7+ Wizard or Druid character to select - but the spell entry itself doesn't take Tasha's optional class features into account. Yes, it's annoying.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

5. - Top - End - #5
    Orc in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Create the spells as Homebrew. Spells are pretty easy to make. Find a similar spell as a template and change it to suit, rename it and save.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Barbarian in the Playground

HalflingWizardGirl

Post Re: Why are some spells not on DNDbeyond?

In addition to what Mastikator said about those being unpublished UA spells, ego whip in particular was renamed to Tasha’s mind whip and published in Tasha’s Cauldron of Everything.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by P. G. Macer View Post
    In addition to what Mastikator said about those being unpublished UA spells, ego whip in particular was renamed to Tasha’s mind whip and published in Tasha’s Cauldron of Everything.
    ...are you sure it wasn't Mind Thrust (a 2nd-level spell that limits the target to one action) that was changed to Mind Whip? Because Ego Whip is a 4th-level spell that gives the target disadvantage on everything.
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!

8. - Top - End - #8
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by meandean View Post
    Divination is added to the Druid and Wizard spell lists by optional rules (from Tasha's Cauldron of Everything). Those rules, being optional, aren't assumed to be in effect by D&D Beyond. (Although I bet most DMs are perfectly fine with them.)

Wikidot is the type of resource which is incorrect just infrequently enough to be dangerous. There is another similar, much, much better site that I will only ask you find for yourself.
    Hmm, I use Wikidot a lot. Didn't realize it is dangerous. And what site are you talking about? If you don't want to talk publicly, you could send me a private message. If it's not too much bother, of course.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Barbarian in the Playground

HalflingWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Kurald Galain View Post
    ...are you sure it wasn't Mind Thrust (a 2nd-level spell that limits the target to one action) that was changed to Mind Whip? Because Ego Whip is a 4th-level spell that gives the target disadvantage on everything.
    You are correct, I got the two confused in my head.