New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: Hexadin build

1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Hexadin build

Heya guys, new to posting to the forum though i've read a decent amount of guides here, recently joined a irl 5e game and I wanted some feedback on my hexadin build. The overall goal is to be mostly hexblade with 6-7 levels in paladin.

Currently my character is a half-elf oathbreaker paladin, I am starting out at level 8 as its an ongoing campaign, and I was given 1 +1 item (i chose +1 full-plate)
    stats I was thinking of was PB at 15 8 14 8 12 17, and picking up elven accuracy at level 4, and other then that we get one feat at level 1 as per AL rules ( so either magic initiate, tough or skilled)

Would love any feedback, my main worry is class split/paladin oath. I got the DM to okay an oathbreaker, but i'm unsure if its a good play or not. The 7th level aura seems nice but also means I wont really start doing much in hexblade untill level 9 or 10.

i went 7/1 for the aura of hate. I could go 6/2 for aura of protection or 5/3 for pact of blade
    Last edited by Osan; 2024-02-17 at 04:20 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Hexadin build

Understand that Oathbreaker is intended as a NPC/Enemy subclass. It doesn't really do much for a player, unless you're playing specifically an Evil campaign. Importantly, its 7th level Aura of Hate can actively hurt you and your party, as it boosts the damage of all fiends and undead. That's right... All fiends and undead. Note that it doesn't say anything about "friendly" or "of your choice" or similar.

So absent some niche benefits in situations like having any ally bring in a friendly undead or fiend pet by casting Summon Undead/Animate Dead/Summon Fiend/etc., it's more apt to hurt you than help you. Therefore there's basically no reason for you to go 7 levels of Oathbreaker.

You could stick to just 6 levels of Oathbreaker, but the Oath spells aren't anything to write home about, and the Channel Divinity options are only situationally useful. The Control Undead portion is reliant on the DM making level-appropriate undead accessible to you, and also runs the risk of losing control after 24 hours and having a pissed-off undead rampaging around, alongside the usual Necromancer-style issues of traipsing through civilization with an undead minion in tow. The other AoE fear effect is potentially handy, but if that's what you're after than just play a Conquest Paladin and be able to do even more with Fear effects.

As a result, I'd recommend steering clear of Oathbreaker altogether. If you want an "edgy" or morally gray Hexadin, either Conquest or Vengeance makes a considerably better oath option for a player character.

As for level split, the usual route is start Paladin 1 or 2 (to get Heavy Armor and potentially Smite online ASAP), then take Hexblade to start using CHA to attack and grab Eldritch Blast for a ranged option, then back to Paladin until Level 6 (or 7 depending on oath) to get Extra Attack and Aura of Protection (and potentially a beneficial Paladin 7 oath ability). From Hexblade 1/Paladin 6 or 7, decide if you want to continue on as mostly Paladin with just a Hexablde dip, or continue as a Hexblade Warlock from there.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by RogueJK View Post
    Understand that Oathbreaker is intended as a NPC/Enemy subclass. It doesn't really do much for a player, unless you're playing specifically an Evil campaign. Importantly, its 7th level Aura of Hate can actively hurt you and your party, as it boosts the damage of all fiends and undead. That's right... All fiends and undead. Note that it doesn't say anything about "friendly" or "of your choice" or similar.

So absent some niche benefits in situations like having any ally bring in a friendly undead or fiend pet by casting Summon Undead/Animate Dead/Summon Fiend/etc., it's more apt to hurt you than help you. Therefore there's basically no reason for you to go 7 levels of Oathbreaker.
    I was taking oathbreaker primarily for the stacking of oathbreaker and lifedrinker late game, but yea i suppose it could just end up hurting my party more than it helps it.

You could stick to just 6 levels of Oathbreaker, but the Oath spells aren't anything to write home about, and the Channel Divinity options are only situationally useful. The Control Undead portion is reliant on the DM making level-appropriate undead accessible to you, and also runs the risk of losing control after 24 hours and having a pissed-off undead rampaging around, alongside the usual Necromancer-style issues of traipsing through civilization with an undead minion in tow. The other AoE fear effect is potentially handy, but if that's what you're after than just play a Conquest Paladin and be able to do even more with Fear effects.
    Hellish rebuke and inflict wounds seem both pretty good, but i suppose if I'm not quickening inflict wounds I probably wont use it very much, and i wasnt going to be using the undead bit very much.

As a result, I'd recommend steering clear of Oathbreaker altogether. If you want an "edgy" or morally gray Hexadin, either Conquest or Vengeance makes a considerably better oath option for a player character.
    Tbh, I wasnt really wanting to make a "morally grey" or "edgy" character. This was more for the mechanical benefit of crunching Oathbreaker's aura together with hexblade to get 3x charisma to damage

I probably could swap off oathbreaker entirely, and with your level split, it seems like you want me to be 2/6?

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Osan View Post
    with your level split, it seems like you want me to be 2/6?
    Paladin 1 or 2 -> Hexblade 1 -> Paladin 6 or 7

Once you're at Paladin 6 or 7/Hexblade 1, then either shoot for:

Paladin 6 or 7/Hexblade 13 or 14
    or
    Paladin 18 or 19/Hexblade 1 or 2

Quote Originally Posted by Osan View Post
    This was more for the mechanical benefit of crunching Oathbreaker's aura together with hexblade to get 3x charisma to damage
    Since Lifedrinker requires 12 levels of Warlock, that wouldn't be available until Level 19 at the earliest (Paladin 7/Hexblade 12). D&D only goes to Level 20, and nearly all campaigns don't make it that far. So that's a really long time to wait for it to come online and then not much time to enjoy it, if you even ever get that far.

Not to mention that at Level 19/20, a mere +5 extra CHA damage on a hit is not really that impressive, compared to all the powerful and universe-bending stuff that your buddies will be up to with their super high level capstone abilities and Level 9 spells.
    Last edited by RogueJK; 2024-02-17 at 06:03 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Pixie in the Playground

As for level split, the usual route is start Paladin 1 or 2 (to get Heavy Armor and potentially Smite online ASAP), then take Hexblade to start using CHA to attack and grab Eldritch Blast for a ranged option, then back to Paladin until Level 6 (or 7 depending on oath) to get Extra Attack and Aura of Protection (and potentially a beneficial Paladin 7 oath ability). From Hexblade 1/Paladin 6 or 7, decide if you want to continue on as mostly Paladin with just a Hexablde dip, or continue as a Hexblade Warlock from there.
    By the way, For conquest paladin, would you recommend going to level 7? Or what oath would you take in general for a 14/6?

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Some oaths have better/more generally useful 7th level abilities than others, which means it's worth going that extra level before multiclassing out of Paladin.

For example, with Conquest going to Level 7 is a must. It's what builds upon your existing fear effects, and it gets even stronger if you go all the way to 9 and gain access to the 3rd level Fear spell.

Similarly, the 7th level Ancients aura is quite strong.

For a Hexblade 14/Paladin 6, I'd likely go with Oath of Vengeance. Their 7th level ability isn't as strong, so you'd be fine ducking out at 6 there. You've already gotten the best of what it has to offer: Vow of Emnity, Aura of Protection, Extra Attack, Smite, 1st and 2nd level spell slots, and a few additional useful Oath spells like Misty Step and Hunter's Mark.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Starting at 8th level, go paladin 6/warlock 2. You need Extra Attack and +CH to saves is paramount. Warlock 2 is to have two invocations and two smites per short rest. Being melee focus you don't necessarily need Agonizing Blast. If you want it sure take it, but you have good options. Save Paladin 7 as a later treat when you're ready for its Aura if you even want it. Paladin 8 is then there for the ASI/Feat. For levels 9, 10, 11 go warlock 3/4/5. 3 for the Pact, 4 for the ASI/Feat, 5 for 3rd level spells and another invocation. Blade Pact is fine, but you don't necessarily need it. Do take it if more cantrips or a cool familiar isn't thrilling.

You're 6/5 paladin/warlock. For level 12 and beyond now you have your interesting choices. Paladin Aura at 7. Warlock feature at 6. ASI, invocation, spells, take what suits your fancy.
    Quote Originally Posted by OvisCaedo View Post
    Rules existing are a dire threat to the divine power of the DM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Barbarian in the Playground

Oathbreaker is one of the strongest Hexadin builds, but its really more for advanced players.

The CDs are extremely powerful, maybe the strongest amongst all paladins. The 7th lvl feature is also very strong (allowing some crazy builds with undead hordes just outscaling everything), but it does require a great deal of positional awareness if your party is mixed and can and will get you killed if you aren’t aware of what you are doing (its important to have wizard/bards in your party to properly scout/divination before hand).