New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: (3.5 OOC) End of Fate

Does Maynard have a source of light or some other way of seeing in darkness other than darkvision? Just wondering if you can see me right now.
    Jasnah avatar by Zea Mays

2. - Top - End - #242
    Ogre in the Playground

No, I've no light source. Even if it's night there should be some ambient light though, very dim but some.
    A neat custom class for 3.5 system
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=94616

A good set of benchmarks for PF/3.5
    https://rpgwillikers.wordpress.com/2...y-the-numbers/

An alternate craft point system I made for 3.5
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...t-Point-system

3. - Top - End - #243
    Troll in the Playground

@forsaken, can you give me some ideas on exactly what nights are like in this world? How many monsters will appear, how do they react to other monsters, etc.

I see two lines of action. One is to turtle down somewhere, for example using spiderform to weave a web high up in some trees and wait for dawn there, but uf there are lots if flying monsters who can somehow tell the precense of humanoids that might not work.

The other approach is Eria using her superior stealth to scout a path for the both of us, but depending on monster density that might not work.

4. - Top - End - #244
    Ogre in the Playground

One thing I'm sure of: anyone who lives in this world would have knowledge of what to do if you're outside the town at night. Knowledge so common that, at least at a basic level, one wouldn't need a knowledge check. Certainly at least between the basic choices of whether it's better to just make a run for the nearest town or find somewhere to hide and wait out the night.

5. - Top - End - #245
    Firbolg in the Playground

Stop being reasonable about it, you two! How are we going to mount an Ill-Fated Rescue Mission if you just rescue yourselves?!

6. - Top - End - #246
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DeTess View Post
    @forsaken, can you give me some ideas on exactly what nights are like in this world? How many monsters will appear, how do they react to other monsters, etc.

I see two lines of action. One is to turtle down somewhere, for example using spiderform to weave a web high up in some trees and wait for dawn there, but uf there are lots if flying monsters who can somehow tell the precense of humanoids that might not work.

The other approach is Eria using her superior stealth to scout a path for the both of us, but depending on monster density that might not work.
    An all manner of monsters. Some are ghosts as you seen. So spectral undead, Demon and ghouls. Normally if you just look over the town gates you see mini hordes of monsters. If without the totems protection in the wilds you are like a beckon to undead and fiends and they will try to actively hunt you down. That's why its near suicide to be without a totem's protection at night.

So yep flying monsters are present and expect roughly 50-100 monsters probably targeting you and the numbers increase the darker it gets at night.

Quote Originally Posted by zlefin View Post
    One thing I'm sure of: anyone who lives in this world would have knowledge of what to do if you're outside the town at night. Knowledge so common that, at least at a basic level, one wouldn't need a knowledge check. Certainly at least between the basic choices of whether it's better to just make a run for the nearest town or find somewhere to hide and wait out the night.
    Yep yep generally its always better to make a run for it for town. But by the time you get there its gonna be close to midnight. But thats if you were able to see clearly and not be attacked along the way. You know from the info that you have learned that you have maybe 30-45 minutes before the minor monsters start appearing. The longer you wait the stronger ones that appears.

Quote Originally Posted by Metastachydium View Post
    Stop being reasonable about it, you two! How are we going to mount an Ill-Fated Rescue Mission if you just rescue yourselves?!
    lol they gotta use everything they can to their disposal! I dont want them dying either
    Spoiler: Avatar’s picture
    Show

7. - Top - End - #247
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Porky is done for the night
    Festival of Heroes:
    Umbear: 14 ft tall Ogre, Odd assortment of Clothing and Armor. Greenish/Grey Skin. Tusks.

8. - Top - End - #248
    Ogre in the Playground

I'll start taking non-lethal from the persistent hustling we've been doing. I'll just keep the hustle pace going regardless, as the loss of ability to run due to fatigue seems less important than trying to get near town ASAP.

9. - Top - End - #249
    Troll in the Playground

@forsaken, I think we've settled on a plan. Eria will go about a hundred feet ahead of Maynard (keeping him within 120 feet darkvision) and try to guide them around any monsters.

Do you need any rolls from me?
    Last edited by DeTess; 2024-03-26 at 04:31 AM.

10. - Top - End - #250
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

I'm bowing out, I really admire the fast pace and your style, but I just lost track and I'm not feeling Ja anymore.

11. - Top - End - #251
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Auranghzeb View Post
    I'm bowing out, I really admire the fast pace and your style, but I just lost track and I'm not feeling Ja anymore.
    You sure? Due to synching issues, most of the A Thread characters will be asleep for some time now.

12. - Top - End - #252
    Orc in the Playground

I'll start taking non-lethal from the persistent hustling we've been doing. I'll just keep the hustle pace going regardless, as the loss of ability to run due to fatigue seems less important than trying to get near town ASAP.
    Gothca gotcha

@forsaken, I think we've settled on a plan. Eria will go about a hundred feet ahead of Maynard (keeping him within 120 feet darkvision) and try to guide them around any monsters.

Do you need any rolls from me?
    Ah not that I can tell I'll just be giving some updates mainly a generally hide, move silently and a spot just in case.

Quote Originally Posted by Auranghzeb View Post
    Sad to see you go but I understand sorry for not keeping you as well informed. Hope all your other games go well though!

Quote Originally Posted by Metastachydium View Post
    You sure? Due to synching issues, most of the A Thread characters will be asleep for some time now.
    Yep. But its about time that they will be waking up soon lol. Since porkys all set.
    Show

13. - Top - End - #253
    Orc in the Playground

Some dms rolls.

(1d100)[73] Y-N
    (1d100)[27] D-L
    (1d100)[67] E-T
    (1d20)[15] S-H
    Show

14. - Top - End - #254
    Troll in the Playground

Hide: (1d20+11)[31]
    Move silent: (1d20+11)[28]
    Spot: (1d20+3)[19]
    Listen: (1d20+10)[11]

15. - Top - End - #255
    Orc in the Playground

Hide: [roll0]
    Move silent: [roll1]
    Spot: [roll2]
    Listen: [roll3]
    lol insane like always
    Show

16. - Top - End - #256
    Orc in the Playground

New ics are up
    Show

17. - Top - End - #257
    Ogre in the Playground

Eria's the scout so I'll go with what she chooses.

Generally speaking our best bet is to pick things we can outrun and run past rather than trying to fight at all. I imagine I've started taking non-lethal by now? as such I can no longer take the run action.

Any rough estimate how close we are to town?

I'll also look to pick up a few small rocks for a questionable trick I may need to try out as a desperation measure, that shouldn't slow us down in general at all.

18. - Top - End - #258
    Troll in the Playground

So, the umbrella with the tree, any other indications if anything is going on there?

I'm thinking between that one and trying to sneak past the distracted giant.

19. - Top - End - #259
    Barbarian in the Playground

I don't think I have anything to say or do; will just trudge along

20. - Top - End - #260
    Orc in the Playground

Eria's the scout so I'll go with what she chooses.

Generally speaking our best bet is to pick things we can outrun and run past rather than trying to fight at all. I imagine I've started taking non-lethal by now? as such I can no longer take the run action.

Any rough estimate how close we are to town?

I'll also look to pick up a few small rocks for a questionable trick I may need to try out as a desperation measure, that shouldn't slow us down in general at all.
    Correct you are about halfway to the village currently. Due to the hard march. If it was clearer to see you would have been closer. Or if you had darkvision. Also gotcha gotcha just rocks? Or anything else like branches dirt etc?

So, the umbrella with the tree, any other indications if anything is going on there?

I'm thinking between that one and trying to sneak past the distracted giant.
    Nope the one with the umbrella by the tree is just that. Its just leaned up on a tree. Its almost as big as a parasol though. So big umbrella lol. As for the giant its seems to be mining a resource and thats keep the other monsters away.
    Show

21. - Top - End - #261
    Orc in the Playground

Since two hours have passed Maynard should have recovered 2 barrier hp hopefully it helps.

Vs maynard surprised
    Init roll if you beat this you guys go first the next round. (1d20+4)[17]
    Attack (1d20+7)[9]
    Damage (2d10+4)[21]
    Attack (1d20+2)[12]
    Damage (2d10+4)[16]

If you beat his init feel free to act against the demon sword umbrella
    Show

22. - Top - End - #262
    Troll in the Playground

initiative: (1d20+5)[25]

23. - Top - End - #263
    Troll in the Playground

In hindsight it might have been better to try our luck with the giant. Though Eria wouldn't have made the assumption that every route had some form of encounter.

24. - Top - End - #264
    Orc in the Playground

In hindsight it might have been better to try our luck with the giant. Though Eria wouldn't have made the assumption that every route had some form of encounter.
    Tbh it probably would have been. That one was mainly if you got greedy. Swampy one had stuff as well and the undead were kinda beastly. The umbrella was more waiting in wait for prey. Luckily, it's not the strongest of the would be encounters. It's just I don't think Maynard is able to run anymore so Eria is dipping out lol. Also, the umbrella didn't know that she was there. You are practically invisible without any extra help if you would have changed your action with new info feel free. Don't want ya locked into something you wouldn't want due to me not letting you know you were still unseen to him.
    Show

25. - Top - End - #265

Actually, now that I remembered it, I think I’ll just figure out if the onyx ring has some magical effect without detect magic while I wait for things to unfold. If it shows no passive effect I can roll umd to check for an active one

26. - Top - End - #266
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dakrsidder View Post
    Actually, now that I remembered it, I think I’ll just figure out if the onyx ring has some magical effect without detect magic while I wait for things to unfold. If it shows no passive effect I can roll umd to check for an active one
    What would you be trying to do to see if it has magical effects in nature exactly? Depending on what happens it could be fun :333
    Show

27. - Top - End - #267

Is there anything etched on the ring or any hint towards its usage? Because the possible effects on rings and wonderous items are too varied for me to do any comprehensive tests without divination or some other hint towards its usage. If not, at best I can just walk around with it equipped while hoping it's not cursed and/or make a blind umd check to see if it has an active ability.

28. - Top - End - #268
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Forsaken View Post
    Tbh it probably would have been. That one was mainly if you got greedy. Swampy one had stuff as well and the undead were kinda beastly. The umbrella was more waiting in wait for prey. Luckily, it's not the strongest of the would be encounters. It's just I don't think Maynard is able to run anymore so Eria is dipping out lol. Also, the umbrella didn't know that she was there. You are practically invisible without any extra help if you would have changed your action with new info feel free. Don't want ya locked into something you wouldn't want due to me not letting you know you were still unseen to him.
    If I was unseen then Maynard might be able to get out with the potion of invis.

I won't change my action because this thing can one-shot me on a slightly above average roll, and I have no ranged attacks yet

29. - Top - End - #269
    Troll in the Playground

No wait, I'm being dumb. There is one thing I can do from range to give Maynard a chance of running away. Editing now.
    Last edited by DeTess; 2024-03-28 at 01:49 AM.

30. - Top - End - #270
    Ogre in the Playground

ok, my init roll then i'll see whether i'm acting before or after the monster for the 2nd round

(1d20+5)[10]

acting after, which means the monster has one more action before I'm up if I understand the situation right.
    Last edited by zlefin; 2024-03-28 at 12:42 PM.