New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

Default (3.5 IC) End of Fate

Tension fills the air as your Mayor Normand called forth a town meeting in the central plaza. Hundreds of people gather almost the entire town. There is nervous chatting amongst themselves stating that the only times they have gathering like this is always for bad news...

The mayor speaks "Last night our Town Guard Captain Gerald left in the middle of the night. His daughter Evelyn was taken. We are unsure how, but Gerald left as soon as he found out. As he left more guards followed him to help search for his kin...they haven't returned yet Normand says as he solemnly looks up into the day sky a few hours left until nightfall. Getting down onto his hands and knees he starts to beg. We don't have enough guards left to cover the northern and eastern walls. I beg of you to help us go after Gerald and bring him and the men back. We can't hold out longer than a day without them. At the very least can you help us guard the walls until they return...I beg of you. We cannot make it without your help! Norman finishes. Barely holding back from fully sobbing at the end.

The crowd mixed with shock, anger and despair towards the information they received. Knowing fully well volunteering for this is practically a death sentence. Some start to try sneaking away. While others hold their heads down in shame and cowardness not willing to step forward. The plaza filled with hundreds of people is now quiet. The silence deafening as their hopes for the future start draining away. Some look into the sky seeing as the sun is a few hours (5) away from setting.

Nobody is saying anything. As the mayor's face is still faced down in his bow tears coming down his face his hoping leaving him with his tears.

(What are you all doing?)

Last edited by Forsaken; 2024-03-08 at 04:47 PM.
    Spoiler: Avatar’s picture
    Show

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: (3.5 IC) End of Fate

"Idiots." Eria muttered quietly under her breath. "The captain going is one thing, but his men should have known better."

"I have some confidence in my ability to survive outside the walls for a short while, but I'm no tracker." She spoke up more loudly now, making sure her voice carried over the crowd. "Do you have any more information about where the captain might have gone?" A seemingly selfless offer, but in truth there was a more selfish side to it. If things where going to come crashing down, Eria reckoned her chances of survival where better trying to make it to another town than standing and fighting here. So if the guard captain and his men where dead or gone, she probably wouldn't return to this town either.
    Jasnah avatar by Zea Mays

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

The display in front of him was louder than he’d have liked and the emotions weren’t ones he knew how to handle, but if the town was going to fall, Ekkehardt would either have to accept one of the two requests or set out to find another town. The latter would probably require more effort than the other two, but he also had no wish to be stuck as a guard, seeing as if the guards that left never returned, the job would be extended. However, he had no clue how to approach in the meantime, so he just watched until something about the situation changed.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Firbolg in the Playground

Bryanthe shakes herself, as though rising from a dream when the silence of the crowd is doubly broken, by the words of the Half-Drow woman and the eerie sobbing of the Mayor seemingly… All regressed into the crying, crawling image of infancy. She tries to collect her thoughts; much of the guard is gone, apparently, and it's getting dark and that bodes ill. Oof. She shuffles out of the assembled tangle of people, shooting a cautious smile towards… Eria? Yes, that should be the name (that's one good thing about how small everything's these days, she'd get lost between getting up and breakfast some twenty times over in the cities as they say they were, and here, she even knows the names!).

Her awkward Sorry…, repeated with each instance of bumping into people and slipping past them seem to go mostly unanswered, but that's not the worst she can imagine, given the circumstances. At least she reaches Normand in due time, to grab the man by the arm and try to helpfully pull him up. Please don't do that, Sir, that's not good to watch. she murmurs, very aware of how far from comforting she likely sounds. I'm… I'm here, alright? Just tell me where you need me more.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show

Diplomacy to make the mayor feel safer and in helpful friendly company: (1d20+12)[27]

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

Among the volunteers, a dark haired elf in an oversized coat remains quiet as a tomb for the duration of the poor Mayor's display. While not particularly fearsome in appearance, she has nonetheless been given a considerably wide berth, in general, for as long as she's been in town. She's rarely caught speaking, almost never takes on any extra work or tasks other than the one thing she's good at: violently killing monsters.

Which is probably why she's avoided; having seen her work, the townsfolk clearly don't want to provoke her less she start killing them next, even if she's displayed no such provocations. Few even know her name other than referring to her as "Red Blade" or "that psycho elf," but everyone in the crowd with sense moves out of her way as she stomps forward towards the mayor.

"Do you know wat took the daughter, starting this mess?" her common is heavily accented, bordering on atrocious, and she doesn't seem to acknowledge Normand's distraught state. "How did a monster get in the town to begin with? Did someone let it in?" She waits between each question, in a basic back and forth etiquette; despite the accent she remains collected, "And who do you want back more? The captain, his daughter, or the soldiers to guard the walls?"

Spoiler: OOC/Rolls
    Show

Diplomacy: (1d20+1)[3]
    Sense Motive: (1d20+1)[14]
    The Sense motive is to pick up any potential lies/falsehoods in case the mayor isn't on the level.
    Last edited by tonberryking; 2024-02-18 at 12:15 PM.
    <BananaPhone> Stop sniveling worm! You think something as petty as "oh boo hoo my house is collapsing!" should stop you from posting in an online fantasy game where people pretend to be werewolves?

"Let me get this straight. Some guy dressed up as Batman to fight the guys dressing up as clowns scaring people. Maybe this planet aint so bad after all."

6. - Top - End - #6

NinjaGuy

A large man, skin an unnatural mottled granite grey and ever-shifting lines of ember light steps up next to Eria. Whisps of flame rise from his otherwise bald head, quickening with his evident frustration on hearing from the Mayor.

Idiots indeed," He mutters, before speaking loudly enough for the Mayor to hear. I'll go after the Captain. If they haven't tried to cover their tracks I may be able to follow them, but then again I may not. Anyways, someone needs to bring them back before the town falls, and I'm not afraid to head into the wilds." Indeed, Cyndred was more than just not afraid; he had been itching to make it out past the walls, and this was an excellent opportunity to do so.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

With a snort, the large man steps forward. His tusks stand out the most as he looks through the crowd and settles on those who are stepping forward instead of stepping back.

"Porky can track, porky will help.

The one farmhand whose always stayed on the outskirts... the one who slept with the pigs, he was volunteering to help.
    Festival of Heroes:
    Umbear: 14 ft tall Ogre, Odd assortment of Clothing and Armor. Greenish/Grey Skin. Tusks.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Orc in the Playground

The crowd murmurs a small spark of life seems to be forming. As some men volunteer to guard the wall while some are dragged away with their families escaping the crowds. Going from hundreds to around near 50 in a dozen minutes as Normand gets some of his bearing back from Bryanthe's tone.

Seeing Normand in full view and up close; He is in surprisingly good shape and is generally well dressed albeit a few years behind the times. Kneeling and crying made him look untidier than normal. He has wavy chestnut hair. He has a dull look in his brown eyes.

Thank you! Thank you! He says with beat red eyes with tears threatening to fall at any time. We don't know for certain what happened. A child said he heard a call and was heading out to follow it. But stopped by his mother breaking him out of his wondering. He still said he saw Evelyn leaving the city but couldn't stop her as "Red Blade" approached he took a half step back before answering what seemed like more intimidation than diplomacy. I've said all that was known. The rest of the details are unknown. As for who we need back more that's harder to say. Captain Gerald is an Elite Veteran warrior by himself he might be able to hold the wall. But we need both walls covered so we also need the guard back! His eyes give a slightly harder tone the daughter was the cause of this mess. If it comes to saving her or the guards. Save the guards.

As Porky volunteers the farmers around him reach out and grab him trying to stop him.

"Don't go porky! Thats suicide! Stay on the farm and help us. As long as the walls hold tonight, we can escape. We will need your strength to move! We can always make a new farm, but we can't lose our friends!" The farmers clamored in agreement trying to persuade him to stay.
    Show

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

Eria cast her red eyes over the others volunteering to look for the guard. An eclectic bunch, but they seemed capable at least.

She approached the group gathering around the large tusked man. "Given how few clues we have we definitely need your help." she addressed Porky. "The sooner we leave, the better our chances of pulling this of before sundown. So if you're not certain yet, please make your mind up quickly." she gestured at the others trying to talk him out of it.
    Last edited by DeTess; 2024-02-18 at 03:06 PM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Porky looked back to the farmers, patting them on hands and shoulders comforting.

"Farmers give porky good slop to eat. Farmers let porky sleep on warm straw. Porky even sleep under shed. Porky give sweat from brow, work from dawn til Dusk. Porky can you time. Time to move, time to hide. Porky do this for you.

He turns after giving them thier answer. He begins to move to begin his tracking.

"which direction did they go?"
    Festival of Heroes:
    Umbear: 14 ft tall Ogre, Odd assortment of Clothing and Armor. Greenish/Grey Skin. Tusks.

11. - Top - End - #11

Seeing that the situation has now changed for the better, Ekkehardt wordlessly got closer to the gathering as he glanced around at them. Shortly after, he gave a satisfied nod and simply stared at Porky expectantly with a look of curiosity. He’s waiting for him to find the trail so he can follow.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ettin in the Playground

"I've got a horse. Do the rest of you have means of travel? And are you going on foot...Porky?" Loba bluntly asks. If the mayor's responses, in particular laying blame on the Captain's daughter mean anything to her, she keeps it to herself, but she's already accepted the half orc as being the official tracker, as a matter of factly as a beekeeper would trust the denizens of his hives to make honey.

"Actually. We should bring wagon. Not just for our tracker but in case we need the space to bring back soldiers. Who can provide us with one?"
    Last edited by tonberryking; 2024-02-18 at 03:16 PM.
    <BananaPhone> Stop sniveling worm! You think something as petty as "oh boo hoo my house is collapsing!" should stop you from posting in an online fantasy game where people pretend to be werewolves?

"Let me get this straight. Some guy dressed up as Batman to fight the guys dressing up as clowns scaring people. Maybe this planet aint so bad after all."

13. - Top - End - #13
    Orc in the Playground

The farmers very hesitant to let porky leave walk away with tear-stained sleeves wishing him good luck and hope that he will return soon.

The mayor hurriedly leads you northeast of the village. Your group large group attracts a bit of attention as you reach the edge of the village. What greets you are tall walls for a village of this size towering up 25 feet by 10 ft thick. Leading you towards a doorway that has two men holding pitchfork nervously eyeing the door. Normand says. Here is the door that she left from. Rumors have it that the Gerald followed her out.

As you arrive towards the gate the villagers nervously arm themselves while they look at the wall with terror etched into their faces. Only a few guards man the gates. They give a different air to them. More powerful than these ragtag militia group.

(What are you all doing?)
    Show

14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

(1d20+12)[19] Survival + Track

Porky began looking around on the ground, his snout like nose snorting and sniffing towards the ground. He kneels down to get even closer as if a pig were seeking a truffel. He snorts and his ears wiggle as he considers the various scents before he starts moving. Though he does have on some links of chain armor visible, This man does not carry any weapons as he leaves the safety of the town walls.

"Porky think this is best way to go first."
    Last edited by Darius Vibrtrar; 2024-02-18 at 03:20 PM.
    Festival of Heroes:

15. - Top - End - #15
    Troll in the Playground

"I've got my own two feet." Eria replied to the dark haired elf. "A wagon might be a good idea, but..." she cast a glance around. "I don't think it's worth the time it'd take to get ready at this point."

She started hurrying over yo catch up with Porky. Much like the tusked man she seemed underequipped for an expedition beyond the wall, with neither armor nor weapon in sight.

16. - Top - End - #16

NinjaGuy

Cyndred follows the others out the gates, urgency lending speed to his stride. "Alright, let's go save these idiots.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

Upon hearing the news, Maynard talks briefly with his mother, then hurries off, the hurrying of need, not fear, while his mother remains to hear of any more news. Shortly after, Maynard returns with his gear, gives his mother a hug, and will briefly talk to the mayor before going to help.

Of course I will help as much as I can mayor. It is my duty as my father would have. I will help search beyond the walls for a couple hours, but I will be sure to return by nightfall. My death outside would do no good, and we will hold better at the walls. If there's a horse to borrow I could ride it passably, and cover more ground. If not, I'll do as best I can on foot.

The glaive will be left behind, to be used once guarding the wall.
    Last edited by zlefin; 2024-02-18 at 07:23 PM.
    A neat custom class for 3.5 system
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=94616

A good set of benchmarks for PF/3.5
    https://rpgwillikers.wordpress.com/2...y-the-numbers/

An alternate craft point system I made for 3.5
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...t-Point-system

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Ja remained silent, she knew what she was going to do from the moment the news spread around the town. Evelyn was a sweet girl, and Ja liked to watch her practice swordmanship with the captain. Ja was going to help, she said that much to her grandma moments before she left to the assembly, and Ka had given her blessing to the young Skarn.

While the others talked about transportation, she found the conversation unimportant.

You can't track anything from horseback or from the comfort of a wagon, unless you neck twists like a displacer's beast tentacles, and you can't be discrete with the hoofs of a horse letting anyone know you are coming... We are wasting precious time...

She strode to the gates, her steps covering twice the distance of a man's.

She started looking foe tracks switching her essentia into her Hunter's Circlet.

Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Adopt Running Hunter's Stance gaining Scent and then locate 1 essentia into Hunter's circlet to boos the bonus to survival to +4 (1d20+11)[18] to track by smell.

19. - Top - End - #19

Unsure who's even staying and leaving in all the bustle, Bryanthe decides to stick with the mayor, and Porky (of course), happy to blend somewhat in the background once more. And that she didn't offend Normand. Having to work with the Weird Red Elf… Is there. She'll figure out how to feel about it. Eventually.

As the gate is reached, she peeks out with somewhat hesitant curiosity. She hasn't been out there much, ever since she's ended up stuck within these walls. She's not exactly been missing that out there either. Not much, no. And… The others are, naturally, already filing out at top speed, with Porky taking the lead. And they look like they want to go breakneck fast too, naturally. This will be… Something. Please scream if you need healing! she, for lack of a better term, calls after them, tentatively, as she tries to pick up the pace. I'll be right here behind you, somewhere? She even forgets to wave to Mayor Normand. A pity. The man still looked like he needed some encouragement.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Orc in the Playground

Porky picking up the trail slightly faster than Ja leads the way going towards the forest. Traveling at a rapid pace Porky's endurance almost supernatural can maintain a quick and rapid pace. The mayor shouts after you wishing luck. As Maynard passes by him, he says quickly I wish you luck. May your father be with you.

After traveling about 30 meters past the village the warmth provided by the town's totem vanishes replaced with an eerie silence as you move forward. A strange chill lingers in the air. As you move further and further away from the village you notice the footprints of guards spread out. One clearly moving at a far faster pace following close by a little girl's steps.

As the sun continues to lower roughly an hour passes. The dense forest getting lesser as it starts getting to a rockier nature. Making tracking footprints harder...but your two trackers notice the smell of dense blood in the air ahead of them. The rocky outcrop blocks your sight of where the smell is but if you continue to track you can still follow it. You have roughly 4 hours of daylight left.

(What do you choose to do?)
    Show

21. - Top - End - #21
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Porky gives a much louder snort and a low squeal.

"Porky has track, and can smell blood. Porky go fast now. If need be carried, shout."

Porky turns back to the trail, on two legs now he takes off at his normal speed of 40, rather than his tracking speed of 20. His focus and concentration are on finding those who are lost, but it willing to carry a slow comrade who can not keep up.
    Festival of Heroes:

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Ja respects Porky, the large one has always pulled his weight in the survival of the town. She nods in silence to him and moves to follow the scent of blood as one of the mystical Leskylor, her grand mother told her about, sharpening her sight.

She moves faster than Porky, but she is smart enough to keep a safe distance, and do not rush into danger.

Spoiler: OoC
    Show

Ja will always try to find a reference to a Magical Beast, since that's the whole totemist gimmick. Her speed is currently 50'
    Last edited by Auranghzeb; 2024-02-19 at 06:30 PM.

23. - Top - End - #23

NinjaGuy

Cyndred follows along after Porky and Ja, pleased that someone else has taken on the task of tracking the missing girl and guards. This way he can just focus on keeping up and, inevitably, fighting anything and everything that gets in their way. Embracing the quickness of Fire, Cyndred hurries after, keeping an ear cocked for trouble.

Spoiler: OOC: Cyndred Ariangar
    Show
    Listen: [roll0]
    Current Elemental Binding: Fire
    Speed = 40'
    Last edited by RaiKirah; 2024-02-19 at 07:32 PM.

24. - Top - End - #24

Considering he wouldn't have the time to whip up anything before the party reached the scene, Ekkehardt followed along, but he also had no interest in running head first into the scene where the dangerous monster probably was; he wasn't particularly worried about keeping up with their superior speed. In the absence of an opportunity to take a careful approach, he intends to use the distance to at least briefly access the scene before whatever caused the scene takes notice of him.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ettin in the Playground

Loba just shrugs and abandons any pretense of getting her horse and wordlessly follows after the others for the first hour. She was always a loner on the walls, protecting the town as savagely as possible so it's no surprise she's not very talkative, but she stands in place for a moment after Porky rushes ahead.

The footprints bother her, though not that was apparent to the others. Presumably the distraught father is the one following the footsteps of the presumed child, but she wonders why none of the soldiers tried to overtake their captain if he was running ahead so haphazardly. Any answer why this is playing out this way she can think of doesn't help the pervasive sense of unease.

She hates unease.

Refusing to play into it, when the others charge ahead, Loba ducks through the trees, taking a slower path over the outcropping, but a hidden one.

She's no coward. She can't be. But Loba isn't stupid, and she would much rather prefer to get the drop on anything she plans to slay rather than the other way around.

Spoiler: OOC/Rolls
    Show

I'mma have Loba sneak up after the others, hidden as best she can, even if it means arriving on the scene after the rest of the group.

Move Silently (1d20+6)[24]
    Hide (1d20+5)[24]

26. - Top - End - #26
    Troll in the Playground

"Wait!"Eria suddenly appears ahead of Porky, seemingly stepping out of a rock's shadow when moments before she'd been trailing behind. She kept her voice low, but insistent and spread out her arms to indicate the large man should stop, though he could easily brush past her if he wished.

"If you're smelling blood, we might be coming up on something dangerous. Let me scout ahead, it's what I'm good at. Which direction do you smell the blood from?

Show

Used shadow jaunt maneuver to get ahead.

Prepared maneuvers:
    Shadow Jaunt
    Cloak of deception
    Burning blade
    Mighty throw
    Counter charge

27. - Top - End - #27

Havig had to run for most of the time, just to mostly keep up with the rest, Bryanthe comes to a precariously balanced, stumbling stop half a pace behind Porky, Eria and Cyndred, thoroughly unsure whatever became of the Weird Red Elf in the meantime, announcing her presence with a uniquely inane I'm here. between huffs. Did you say blood? If there's injured I need to… [huff] I need to tend… [huff] Tend to their, uh, their injuries.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

Maynard will keep with the accelerated pace as best he can. (rules-wise I think this means using hustle 1/3 of the time to maintain a 40' pace).

When the branching footsteps occur:
    Perhaps some of us should branch off to see if any of the other guards might be found, but splitting is risky, and we can't afford to have too many groups, even separating at all carries risk. Since we do not all move at the same pace, perhaps the faster could search for the captain, while the rest search for other guards, who're likely to not have gotten as far.

[how hard to track are the other branches? is it possible to follow them at all without a proper tracker?]
    A neat custom class for 3.5 system
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=94616

A good set of benchmarks for PF/3.5
    https://rpgwillikers.wordpress.com/2...y-the-numbers/

An alternate craft point system I made for 3.5
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...t-Point-system

29. - Top - End - #29
    Orc in the Playground

(Assuming that Loba and Eria both move ahead towards the location pointed out by Porky)

You come across a shattered terrain bodies lay down none moving. About a dozen guards bodies lay still. Claw marks litter the battlefield. The number of guards smaller than what was told. Loba's nose picks up a slight brimstone smell coming off the blades of the guards. As corpses lay of their foes. Devils. A wide variety at that. These guards clearly fought hard as they slain roughly sixty+ demons while only losing a dozen. With the thick smell of blood you cannot accurately tell the location of where they are going. Tracking by smell doesn't seem to be possible right now.

Show
    You can see the guards bodies moving in a forward manor heading deeper into the rough rock outcropping.

(You can all move forward to this location and freely discuss your next plans of action)
    Last edited by Forsaken; 2024-02-20 at 12:55 PM.
    Show

30. - Top - End - #30
    Troll in the Playground

Eria took a moment to mentally review what she knew of devils after looking over the battlefield, and compared that with the tricks she'd learned during her time at the monastery. It wasn't much, but the moment of focus helped her be prepared if a fight occurred. she then quickly headed back to the others.

"There was a fight, but it's over now. About a dozen or so guards died, and a lot more devils did. it should eb safe to proceed, but take care if you want to inspect the bodies of the dead, Just in case one of those monsters is only faking it." She gave a quick report, then led the way back to the battlefield.

Show

full-round action to refresh and re-assign maneuvers

Prepared maneuvers:
    Shadow Jaunt
    Cloak of deception
    mountain hammer
    Counter charge
    shadow blade technique