New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

ClericGirl

Post Retraining the "Additional favored class" feat

Hi everyone,

I was wondering what happens if a character, at the end of their build, retrains the Additional Favored Class feat.
    Additional Favored Class is a feat from Unearthed Arcana that's pretty much intuitive, and it also specifies:

Normal
    Without this feat, if any class other than your race's favored class is two or more levels lower than your highest-level class, you take a -20% penalty to XP earned for each class that is not within one level of your highest-level class.
    Now, what would happen if you retrained such a feat? Would you only have to worry about the XP that you earn from that point on, or would you also retroactively lose 20% of XP for each class that is not within one level from te highest-level class?

Thank you for the insight

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Default Re: Retraining the "Additional favored class" feat

Looking at the feat, I'm pretty sure that you would be able to retrain it with no penalty or anything. I don't see any special clause stating that you would apply the effects of not having the feat retroactively.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

A lot of feats can be retrained using the PHBII retraining rules while, strictly RAW speaking, retaining some or all of their benefits. A great example is one of those feats like mercantile background that gives you gold directly.

These occupy a continuum of cheese. The cheesiest readings I've been able to justify in the rules include the feats Obtain Familiar (which allows you to call a familiar and specifies its attributes, but is not strictly required for that familiar to function) and open minded (which grants skill points - a transient resource - and the ability to trade them in for a permanent resource).

Would I allow these at a table I ran? No. Would I try to pull this on most DMs? Hell no. Would I try these exploits using a chameleon's floating feat? Not most of them, no.

RAW is silly, and the rules are more a framework for the social space where the game actually "exists." If you're ever in doubt, explain those doubts to your DM and reach a solution together.

But to answer your question, RAW this totally works. It won't don't up often because most enfranchised players don't use the favored class rules.
    Last edited by bekeleven; 2024-02-20 at 08:38 AM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

RogueGuy

I mean how big of an xp hit can really get if you’re blowing this feat maybe -60%?