New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRogueGirl

Default Re: Role play heavy game

I'll go ahead and post Siobhan Sullivan, then - but let me know if there's any issue with the format.

Backstory:
    Have you ever looked at the moon? Like REALLY looked at the moon? It's beautiful. Especially beautiful if you've lived most of your life underground and never seen it until your thirtieth birthday. It was a formative experience for young Siobhan. Made a refugee from her home by an incursion of drow and driders, she found herself separated from her family and lost on the surface. But emerging out into the night sky after the terrors of the Queen of Darkness' followers below... Siobhan was an instant convert to Selûne.

Nowadays, nearing eighty, Siobhan has found connection with others of her kind on the surface, sure, but hasn't settled down yet. She spent several years married to a forest gnome named Liam, but they parted ten years ago on good terms since he wanted kids and she didn't. Instead, she travels with her trusty mastiff, Clancy, and tries to do good wherever she goes. She often travels at night in the light of the moon. Eventually, Siobhan may return to see what remains of the village she grew up in, but she has decided that living in the past isn't for her.

Her items: Gloves of Ogre Power and Half-Plate of Gleaming (never gets dirty).
    Last edited by Archemist; 2024-02-24 at 10:28 PM.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Barbarian in the Playground

I don't care where the sheets are hosted. MW, D&DB, GoogleSheets, whatever is fine. @samduke, no worries, I've seen your sheet, so you're in the running.

The characters are looking great!
    Spoiler: Chult game links
    Show

3. - Top - End - #63
    Titan in the Playground

PirateWench

Quote Originally Posted by agignac View Post
    I don't care where the sheets are hosted. MW, D&DB, GoogleSheets, whatever is fine. @samduke, no worries, I've seen your sheet, so you're in the running.

Well problem that sheet does not exist anymore. It will take me a day to re create it , I'm going to see if I can cobble a google sheet as im not a fan of dndb
    Last edited by samduke; 2024-02-25 at 01:39 AM.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Ogre in the Playground

Kobold

Alright, here's Ennius so far: half elf tome pact warlock of the archfey. He's definitely weight to be carried in a fight, but he is 1) an expert on magic and a variety of other topics, 2) fun at parties, and 3) generally a useful guy to have around. I kind of hate to add another warlock scooped from death by his patron (only mostly dead in Ennius's case), but they should be very different besides that shared experience.

Quick question: as a ritual caster, is there an amount of money I can pay to start with more spells in my Book of Ancient Secrets?
    Coach and Owner of Hellbug's Heroes, Sneak Kings, Sultans of Slaughter, and Commercial Cast-Offs. Season II and III runner-up. Season IV league champion. Season VII division champion.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Ogre in the Playground

I’m going to try and complete an Aberrant Mind Sorcerer by the cut off tomorrow. Sounds like a fun game.
    “It's like everyone tells a story about themselves inside their own head. Always. All the time. That story makes you what you are. We build ourselves out of that story.”
    ― Kvothe, The Name of the Wind

Spoiler: personality test results
    Show

6. - Top - End - #66
    Titan in the Playground

PirateWench

Quote Originally Posted by agignac View Post

okay I think I have gotten all the information that is needed onto this google sheet, let me know if you need information

Elise

7. - Top - End - #67
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Hellbug View Post
    Alright, here's Ennius so far: half elf tome pact warlock of the archfey. He's definitely weight to be carried in a fight, but he is 1) an expert on magic and a variety of other topics, 2) fun at parties, and 3) generally a useful guy to have around. I kind of hate to add another warlock scooped from death by his patron (only mostly dead in Ennius's case), but they should be very different besides that shared experience.

Quick question: as a ritual caster, is there an amount of money I can pay to start with more spells in my Book of Ancient Secrets?
    Well I changed a few things around just to make them a little more mechanically unique, mainly in the invocations department. They both had Ghostly Gaze and Sculptor of Flesh, so I swapped both out for Eldritch Smite and Agonising Blast to reflect that Rafe is more of a damage oriented Warlock with solid ranged options.
    "Don't think of it as dying," said Death,
    "Just think of it as leaving early to avoid the rush."

8. - Top - End - #68
    Bugbear in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Got to be done by tonight, huh? Well.. doable in 5e. But I still need to figure out what concept I want to play.

One idea is an Aasimar Paladin - one totally devoted to the cause of good, to the point where she doesn't see herself as having free will - nor does she want it. Being able to choose evil has no value to her. She has a duty and she will do it. And that happens helping out with these heists.

The other is almost the opposite - someone who grew up in very rough conditions, in a place with poverty and violence so widespread that she's grown up without a sense of empathy or any real sense of right and wrong, and she doesn't shy away from evil. She does, however, have a need for family that has gone unfulfilled for too long, after her first crew was wiped out and the boss of the second betrayed her. She's fallen in with this particular group and is indebted to Golden Vault, who helped her out when they (and she) were unaware of her moral failings. She's extremely grateful to her new "family" and would do anything for them, but also knows on some level that she isn't quite up to their standards somehow, and doesn't know how to change that. Her teammates might, though.

...I think I'd have more fun with the second, and it's certainly a concept I've had for longer, but I don't know how I'd make her in 5e except as some bizzare Barbarian/Rogue hybrid, and I can't make that work with standard array. Might be able to make Swashbuckler or Scout Rogue alone work, or maybe just multiclass with Fighter.
    Quote Originally Posted by Potato_Priest View Post
    Honestly, most players would get super excited about Zenob the god of crabs because it's eccentric. I know I would.
    Quote Originally Posted by Paragon View Post
    But a friendly reminder that, by RAW, this game is unplayable

9. - Top - End - #69
    Ettin in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A couple of different rogue iterations might be fun.
    I like the globe warm...

If you live for people's acceptance you will die from their rejection.

Remember, no matter how hot she is, someone, somewhere is tired of her crap.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

I have my mechanics ready, but I’m still working on the backstory.
    For every battle lost, there is a battle won.

11. - Top - End - #71

Player Character name Race/class
    Lioslaith Fenris Pallid Elf Inquisitor Rogue
    Auranghzeb Tedras Human battlemaster fighter/rogue
    JNA Productions Leaf Half-elf Moon Druid
    samduke Elise Kender beastmaster ranger
    Infernally Clay Rafe Dhampir Hexblade warlock
    Archemist Siobhan Rock gnome cleric
    Dusk Raven Jane Doe Human rogue fighter
    the hellbug Ennius Half-elf warlock

We've got some great submissions, this will be a tough choice.

As of the cut-off, tonight I'm going to post here with a scene request for everybody, to help me choose wisely.
    Last edited by agignac; 2024-02-26 at 12:48 AM.
    Show

12. - Top - End - #72

NecromancerGirl

All right, still don't know the exact cutoff, but I do have a character sheet ready. I just need a name (difficult since I'm totally unfamiliar with Forgotten Realms)... and nonmagical equipment. For the magic items, though, I'm taking the Goggles of Night for uncommon and the Pole of Collapsing for common.
    Honestly, most players would get super excited about Zenob the god of crabs because it's eccentric. I know I would.

13. - Top - End - #73
    Ogre in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Infernally Clay View Post
    Well I changed a few things around just to make them a little more mechanically unique, mainly in the invocations department. They both had Ghostly Gaze and Sculptor of Flesh, so I swapped both out for Eldritch Smite and Agonising Blast to reflect that Rafe is more of a damage oriented Warlock with solid ranged options.
    We can talk about it if both our characters make it. There are some other invocations I had my eye on as well, and we could negotiate how to split those up if you're interested. Like I said, I'm not worried about them playing similarly; Ennius is a bit of an odd duck. Speaking of which, he's done!
    Coach and Owner of Hellbug's Heroes, Sneak Kings, Sultans of Slaughter, and Commercial Cast-Offs. Season II and III runner-up. Season IV league champion. Season VII division champion.

14. - Top - End - #74
    Titan in the Playground

PirateWench

[QUOTE=agignac;25970697

We've got some great submissions, this will be a tough choice.

As of the cut-off, tonight I'm going to post here with a scene request for everybody, to help me choose wisely.[/QUOTE]

Ate you going to give a scene topic , ie tavern, forest, ect or do you want what ever

15. - Top - End - #75

Okay folks, time is up for new submissions. Everybody that sent in a character sheet is in the running.

Everybody, please submit the following 2-3 paragraph scene on this thread. The 8 of you are in your headquarters, relaxing and chatting. Please include the following. 1) a brief bit of description about your character. 2) a brief bit of description about the room (doesn't need to mesh with each other, you're not actually together yet) 3) tell another character about a near miss you had in the pass (however you choose to interpret that), and 4) ask them a question based on what you know about them.

I'd also like each of you to send me a DM with a list of which other characters you'd be most interested in playing with, and why (just a line or two, it's not an essay).

Thanks!!

EDIT: I've updated the table a few posts below with the 8 finalists.
    Last edited by agignac; 2024-02-26 at 12:48 AM.
    Show

16. - Top - End - #76
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

I can't possibly post the paragraphs any time before evening US time today. Hope it's fine.

17. - Top - End - #77
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRogueGirl

In front of the guild hearth, Siobhan Sullivan leans back against her massive dog, who's stretched out on the floor to enjoy the warmth. Siobhan sits with her knees up, gripping a normal-sized mug of tea as though it were comically large. The others all have spots on the nicely-upholstered furniture, but she seems to prefer the stone floor.

She's a quiet gnome, very religious, and a bit naive. She's much better with animals than people. Which is odd, perhaps, since she's hardly young - she'd be an old woman if she were human. But she always has a smile, even when times are tough, and her skill as a healer has made her welcome in many places. Siobhan's appearance is certainly very ordinary: dark hair, a reddish sandstone skin, and grey eyes. She often goes around with a beret instead of a helmet with her shiny plate armor, in an effort to seem less threatening. Not that anyone is going to be intimidated by a 3'4" gnome, but she likes to show her face and finds helmets stuffy.

Spoiler: Image - Siobhan and Clancy mini
    Show

She sips her tea and continues her story: "So I could tell Clancy was afraid. He had his ears back and a soft growl going. I made sure he knew he was a good dog for alerting me. I took my shield, crept forwards, parted the brush with my sickle, and lo! A skunk!

"They're surprisingly un-smelly... until they're not, you know. Anyhow, I beat a quick retreat and we had a good laugh, me and Clancy."

Siobhan pauses for a moment and almost drifts off into her own thoughts, but then gives her head a little shake. She looks over at Tedras, and jokingly asks the tall, rakishly-charming half-elf, "How would you have handled that, I wonder! A skunk must be the worst enemy of someone who smells as nice as you always do."
    Last edited by Archemist; 2024-02-28 at 05:13 PM.

18. - Top - End - #78

Quote Originally Posted by Auranghzeb View Post
    I can't possibly post the paragraphs any time before evening US time today. Hope it's fine.
    That's fine, I'll give folks about 48 hours.
    Show

19. - Top - End - #79
    Titan in the Playground

PirateWench

Backstory
    Elise a kender ranger whose black hair. With eyes as black as the midnight sky. she possesses a boundless curiosity and an unwavering sense of adventure. Her lithe frame moves with the grace of a dancer, and her keen senses are finely tuned to the whispers of the wilderness. Armed with a trusty bow slung across her back and a quiver of arrows at her side, she roams the lands with a determination to protect its beauty from any threat. Though her spirit is free as the wind, her loyalty to her companions and her sense of duty are as steadfast as the roots of the ancient oaks she called home.

Headquarters:
    The headquarters room where Elise, finds herself engaged in discussion with seven others is a place of rustic charm and practicality, perfectly suited to accommodate their diverse group.

Located within the room exudes an atmosphere of warmth and camaraderie. Sunlight filters through large windows, casting dappled patterns of light and shadow upon the polished wooden floor. The walls are adorned with maps depicting the surrounding wilderness, marked with trails and points of interest discovered during their many adventures.

A crackling fireplace dominates one corner of the room, its comforting glow providing both light and warmth to the gathering. Overhead, wooden beams crisscross the ceiling, adorned with hanging lanterns that cast a soft, golden light upon the scene below.

In the center of the room, a large oak table serves as the focal point of their discussions. Carved with intricate patterns and symbols of nature, it bears the scars of countless meetings and strategy sessions. Around the table, sturdy wooden chairs provide seating for Elise and her companions, each one worn with the marks of frequent use.

As she tells one of them of her latest conquest

One fateful morning, as the sun painted the horizon with hues of gold and amber, I embarked on a routine scouting mission. Little did I know that this day would mark the beginning of a grand battle.

Deep within the dense foliage of the forest, I stumbled upon a clearing bathed in eerie moonlight. There, I beheld a sight that made my heart skip a beat a pack of fearsome wolves, their snarls echoing through the stillness of the night.

Instinct kicked in as I nocked an arrow and took aim. With a swift motion, I let it fly, the arrow finding its mark with deadly precision. But the wolves were relentless, charging at me with bared fangs and primal fury.

Ducking and weaving through the trees, I fought with the grace of a dancer and the ferocity of a lioness. My arrows sang through the air, finding their targets one by one until they were all dead.

Spoiler: Caveat
    Show

if chosen please know that I write as much or as little as I think I need to convey what it is that the character might be doing at the moment
    Last edited by samduke; 2024-02-26 at 09:47 AM.

20. - Top - End - #80
    Colossus in the Playground

Spoiler: Vignette
    Show
    Leaf settled into the chair, her tunic with embroidered flowers wrinkling a little as she did. She took the mug of cider she had just filled, and downed it in one fell swoop. "Man, this stuff is good,"
    she said, eyeing the barrel of cider next to the other, more alcoholic beverage barrels. "Rafe, you want... Oh, right," she caught herself before she asked if the man who had the tastebuds of a rock wanted some cider. "Er, Rafe," she continued, standing up and heading towards him across the carpeted floor. "Did I ever tell you about the time with the Enclave that I almost burned down a forest?"

Rafe shook his head, turning from the weapons rack adorned with well-maintained, but simply made swords and hammers and axes, to face Leaf.

"Yeah... It was one heck of an embarrassing time. It's kinda why I stopped practicing pyromancy for a bit! So, I was working on my orisons, and I had made a little fire in a stone circle," she narrated, "and, once I had the fire, I was practicing shapes with it. You know, squares, circles, then more advanced things! Like little birds of fire, flitting around the fuel. And, me being me, I tried to push it further and further, until I made this HUGE dragon! Okay, maybe not huge huge," the five foot tall half-elf said with a chuckle, "but I wasn't even a teenager at that point. It looked big to me! And I was making it fly around the fire, fun and such, and then I tried to move it further away. The whole dragon and the fire it was based on exploded when I tried to push it that far, and the little circle of stones I had prepared was NOT enough."

Rafe leaned forward a little, accidentally looming over the short Leaf. She didn't care much, though-she knew Rafe was a friend, even with his menacing aura. "So I'm freaking out-desperately trying to put out the fires, and doing... Well, not the best, but it was progress. Just not enough. I'm tossing dirt and trying to stop it, but it just keeps going, and eventually, I realize the best way is to smother it with my own body. I leap onto the fire, and! Vines shoot out and catch me, before a small flood of water extinguishes the flame. I didn't notice, but Velguardr-I've told you about them before, right?-so Velguardr had followed me to make sure I didn't cause trouble. Thank the gods they did, because, well, fire. They change out of their animal shape, and I'm expecting a huge admonishing about responsibility and being careful and all that. But... All they said was 'You messed up. But you were trying your best to fix it. Just remember, you're never alone,' and left."

"That... You know, that left an impact. I stopped working on fire magic just to be safe, but they had a good point. My whole life up till then, I'd tried doing things on my own, and I usually succeeded! But... I had support. I had friends, I had family, I had support from the Enclave... I needed to work with them, not just on my own," Leaf said. "So... I guess the end of the story message is-thanks Rafe. You've been there for me too."
    I have a LOT of Homebrew!

Spoiler: Former Avatars
    Show
    Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Linkele
    Show

Spoiler: Individual Avatar Pics
    Show

21. - Top - End - #81
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

As the dice spins, Tedras knows how to make a dice spin, Tedras concentrates on a number.
    Five, five, five Before spinning the dice, Tedras had called a six, and whatever called on the magic dice, always came true. But Tedras was now working on the ultimate hustle: changing the call mid-roll to avoid people getting too suspicious and to nag the pot now and then with an accomplice.
    Six, came the dice... that was the last attepmt, Tedras thought.

Besides it was getting damp this side of the hall, where Tedras kept a little desk with all the document forgery kit across the foyer, Siobhan and Clancy enjoying the fireplace drew Tedras' attention. Closing and locking the desk -as if locking anything in this den of thieves helped at all- Tedras crossed the hall and sat pleasantly next to the gnome and the big dog.

No, not the face, Clancy, not the face!

Tedras tried to prevent Clancy from landing a wet warm licking in Tedras' face. The fireplace cracked gently and was a great soundtrack to Siobhan's story. The little gnome always had good stories and the skunk one was one of her best -even if she loved re-telling it now an then. Tedras listened with the same attention as ever and then the question came.

How would I handle it? Well, you'd be surprised! Skunks are not half as stinky as Troglodytes! Do you remember that place near Cauldron? Oh, maybe you don't, it was right after the Vanderborren Heist, I think you and Clancy left town soon. I just wanted to hang around and spend some money right. Tedras says squatting in front of the fire, both hands extended. The ember lights making shadows with the almost too perfect facial features. A human Tedras was, but too many thought Tedras was an elf, or half-elf. But if Tedras was soft looking, that was all a faccade! Part of the charm.
    So after asking around I find this place a few miles into the woods, a lodge where people made weird bets and good amounts of money was exchanged. There I'm rolling high on the 4 Dragon game and ready to call it a night, when a patron, a Troglodyte fellow by the name of Irk, tells me I can double my platinum coins if I bet with him. Confident, I say yeah, let's do it. Without even asking the bet! Well, the guy says, If you can stay concious with me in a closed room while this candle burns out, you'll double your gains.
    Sure, say I, easy money!

Tedras turns around to look at Siobahn and makes a horrible grimace!

Once inside, this Irk just starts seeping a horrible liquid! I'm telling you, it was the most offensive smell you can imagine! It pierced my nosetrils and poked holes in my clothes, so sharp it was! The candle is burning, not even half of it, and I'm about to explode, but I'm not losing all that platinum! Not this way! But now my eyes are burning like a Cornugon demon had pulled them out with fiery fingers! I'm actually crying tears of pain and the candle is not burning so painfully slow, I'm about to collapse a lung from the effort! And now the candle is two thirds out! And I'm just thinking about how well Lady Silverspoke smelled last time I saw her, and Lousy Roger pies in Applethorn Inn... you know all sort of things! Finally the candle goes Puff!
    I had to scrub so hard I peeled my shoulders!

Tedras rises, now warm, and takes comfident strides towards the other side of the room.

Say, Siobhan, want to take Clyde for a stroll? There's a nice moon today, and we may be able to roll some bones at Old Art's Lodge

Tedras grabs an overcoat and heads out.
    Last edited by Auranghzeb; 2024-02-26 at 02:36 PM.

22. - Top - End - #82
    Troll in the Playground

Rafe hears the gentle patter of rain on stone, the dark clouds dulling the sun's harsh light. Barely visible in one of the corners, Rafe sits with his hands crossed and his chin resting upon them. He is deep in thought, remembering the man he used to be. His eyes, once a vibrant green, are now a dull red and even his hair has lost its lustre, now a black that almost seems to be darker than the shadow it casts. Rafe can't quite get over his ears, though. They're so much larger than they used to be and he doesn't know how elves put up with it.

The room itself is nothing remarkable to look at. Bookshelves lined with journals and tomes detailing up to date information on the movements and whereabouts of groups and individuals of special interest. Rafe, too, was on one of these pages, he was sure. He certainly had made a name for himself and to some it wasn't a very nice one either. In the centre of the room is a large table adorned with a map of the region, notes and markers strewn across it, surrounded by velvet chairs - one of which Rafe had moved to the corner of the room to sit on in quiet contemplation. No doubt this table was to provide the people here with a medium to discuss the most urgent developments. Rafe didn't care about that, though. It's not how he hunted. He always preferred to have his boots on the ground, to pursue his quarry personally. It was almost like a very intimate game to Rafe and the most thrilling games were the ones that lasted him the longest, allowing him to savour them.

It was then that Rafe noticed Fenris enter the room. Much like himself, Fenris seemed to be an excellent tracker although Rafe assumed they had a different kind of quarry. Even so, Rafe respected talent all the same. So he decided to tell Fenris a tale, a warning to a follow hunter of the dangers of becoming the hunted.

"Some years ago a bounty was placed on a brutal murderer. They operated out of the Jiridae Wastes and they knew the land so well that anyone who traversed those dead lands to capture them never returned. By the time I had offered to handle things myself I think they had claimed three score lives, that anyone knew about anyway.

It took me three weeks to narrow down where in the Wastes they operated out of and two more before I first laid eyes on them. They knew I was hunting them and they allowed me to see them, an invitation to play a game. An invitation I gladly accepted, but one I was not prepared for.

They had trapped the entire canyon. I was cautious as I tracked them down but apparently I was not cautious enough. Before I knew it I had fallen into one such trap, which engulfed the area in an explosion of flame and shrapnel. Then I heard the sounds of people shouting out, a caravan of merchants who had seen the commotion and sought to help. My quarry left me to bleed out and disappeared to toy with their newfound prey. I gave chase and my quarry and I were locked in battle, but I knew I was too injured to succeed. Before the killer could land a fatal blow upon me, however, a young lady from the caravan commanded him to sleep and he fell unconscious immediately."

"To think, one of the worst killers this side of the Giant's Scar was ultimately brought low by who would have been his next victim. Had she not done what she did, I would be dead. Or should I say I would have died much sooner than I did."

"Ever since then I've never left home without a spell or two. Even steel as skilled as ours has its limits."

Before Fenris bade farewell, Rafe just had to ask "How do you manage these ears? Mine are so large now if it gets too windy they practically turn inside out."
    "Don't think of it as dying," said Death,
    "Just think of it as leaving early to avoid the rush."

23. - Top - End - #83
    Ettin in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Fenris started a bit when Rafe started talking to him, he was unused to casual conversation and always taken aback a little when it ensued. He continued into the room quietly, hoping to draw little attention and found a spot in a corner so he could see the room. He tried to nod and affirm at the appropriate points in the story but noticed about halfway through that Rafe was staring just a tad off to the left of where he actually was. A habit he had picked up over the years he spent under his old masters thumb, the need to not be noticed.

When Rafe was done telling his story, Fenris made a throat clearing noise and shifted himself upon his chair to draw Rafe's attention back to him. The simple sleeveless leather vest and breeches he wore creaked a bit as he moved, helping to break the habitual stealth. He answered quietly, his oddly deep for his stature voice pitched so hopefully only Rafe could hear it. "That was indeed fortunate. I rarely seem to have any type of good luck like that."

"In fact, the best I can muster was when I was able to escape captivity and strike out on my own. Finding a place with the local guild, they have given me ... tasks for which I seem to be uniquely suited. Much like yourself, a hunter of men."

All the time he talked, which was odd in itself, Fenris was taking in the positions of everyone in the room, from the gnome with her dog sitting on the floor by the fire, to the human playing with the dog, to the half dead Rafe engaging in unwanted conversation, to the half elves, etc. Watching them move about the room, people always fascinated him, then, abruptly, he remembered Rafe had asked him a question. "The ... ears? They just are, I don't actually think much about them."
    I like the globe warm...

24. - Top - End - #84
    Ogre in the Playground

Kobold

Sorry if y'all are just waiting on me; I won't be able to get something up until tomorrow night.

25. - Top - End - #85
    Ogre in the Playground

Kobold

Ennius, who has so far been reading comfortably in a high-backed chair not far from the fire, lowers his book and speaks up. "Old Art's a cheat, you know," the half elf warns over the rims of his reading glasses. He sets the spectacles and book aside. Neither is strictly necessary, the book being only a collection of entertaining tales and the glasses merely to reduce the stress on his eyes in the dim light--they had been a tip from an elderly scholar and Ennius fancies them, imagining that they make him look academic and dignified, which he further imagines he needs to impress the present company.

"An enchantment on the dice, I believe," he continues, "harmless most of the time but able to be invoked to force them to land the house's way at the critical moment. Or--" Ennius pauses and smirks "--his patrons are just extremely unlucky. Funny that all that winning can be undone in one moment--or done again, in your case." The warlock tips his head respectfully towards Tedras. "I don't know how you managed that. I've never personally met a troglodyte, but every account I've heard is that the stench is absolutely unbearable."

"I'm afraid my luck's always been towards the former." Ennius shifts in his seat, clears his throat, and takes a sip from the goblet of wine on his side table. It's obvious from anyone who's spent any amount of time with him that there's a story coming. "I was involved in a scheme once, not strictly a gamble but not so far off, to swindle of man out of a large amount of money. I had a plan for the money at the time, but it clearly wasn't important since I can't recall it. Regardless, the target was a lord as miserly as a dragon--he loved his coin so much that he had each of his servants wear a pair of them on a necklace so that he could hear them cling cling as they went about their work--so that was reason enough. And friend of mine had found her way into his service, not by choice, mind, and had covertly sent a letter asking for help escaping. We had worked together before and there were some bad feelings about how it had ended but we were still acquaintances. That's another story."

Seeing that his long-winded table-setting is beginning to lose the room's attention, Ennius forges ahead. "Anyway, there were good reasons for me to be there. So, the stealing. First, I called in a favor from a wizard who owed me to cast a spell over the lord's manor, a subtle one that wouldn't do anything. Yet. Then, I snuck in and started a fire in the stables, which spread to the the manor. The lord panics. His servants are fleeing--remember that each of them has the two coins around their neck so they'll be well enough off for a while--and there's no one to fight the fire and his riches are at risk. Enter Ennius." The half elf spreads his arms and bows his head magnanimously. "I suggest that the house is already ruined, but that, if he were to smash the wall of the levy, the water could save his wealth. Coins are waterproof, after all. He gets to paying some onlooking peasants--you should have seen the looks on their faces when he handed them the bags of gold--to do just that. The water races in, the fire goes out, and, just like that, when it touches the coins my owed spell is activated!"

He pauses for dramatic effect and enjoys the anticipation of each listener for just a moment but, inevitably, continues. "Every one of them turns into a fish! So there are gold and silver and copper fish swimming around in the pond around the burned house. All that's left is to meet up with my friend, wait for the magic fade at dusk and collect the coins in the shallows!"

The triumphant conclusion is undercut, though, by how the telling had begun. "Oh, my friend drugged me, took the money, and ran off," he explains matter-of-factly when it's mentioned that that sounds like a lucky ending, "or should I say wife? Later. Another story. It was days before I got the lord's goons off my tail." As usual, at the tale's end it's impossible to tell from the warlock's face if it's true, a fabrication, a delusion, or all three.
    Last edited by The Hellbug; 2024-02-28 at 02:02 PM.

26. - Top - End - #86

NecromancerGirl

Ugh, I don't think I'm going to manage an entry before the deadline. I've been tired and... adversely affected by medicine today, and that's not a great state to write in. If I wake up before the deadline, I'll try to get something out, but I'm not optimistic on that front. I want to, but...
    Last edited by Dusk Raven; 2024-02-28 at 02:08 AM.

27. - Top - End - #87

It was a tough choice, but seven characters is just too many. The submissions were all excellent, and I thank everybody for their hard work. For those not chosen, if we have any attrition I will see if you're still interested.

The new party is as follows:

Player Character name Race/class
    Lioslaith Fenris Pallid Elf Inquisitor Rogue
    Auranghzeb Tedras Human battlemaster fighter/rogue
    JNA Productions Leaf Half-elf Moon Druid
    Archemist Siobhan Rock gnome cleric
    the hellbug Ennius Half-elf warlock

Party members, please report to the IC thread.
    Show

28. - Top - End - #88
    Ettin in the Playground

AssassinGuy

I think the discord link is messed up?
    I like the globe warm...

29. - Top - End - #89

I think I fixed it.
    Show

30. - Top - End - #90
    Ettin in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Unless you are a friend of mine from Arkansas I didn’t know was on gitp then it’s still not taking me to the right place
    I like the globe warm...