New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Nobody in the Playground Moderator

Default 5th level spell for 9th level Pyro Sorcerer

My Pyromancy Sorc just hit 9th level and I have decision paralysis about which 5th level spell to take. I figure surely somebody would point out something I haven't considered.

Dex 16, Con 18, Cha 20

Fey Touched*
    Metamagic Adept

Subtle, Quicken, Twinned, and Extended

Green Flame Blade
    Prestidigitation
    Gust
    Firebolt
    Mind Sliver

Mage Armor
    Burning Hands
    Silvery Barbs*

Scorching Ray
    Mirror Image
    Misty Step*

Fireball
    Haste
    Counterspell

Wall of Fire
    Greater Invisibility

?

Dominate Person, Hold Monster, Far Step, and Synaptic Static all have my attention so far. Dominate Person and Hold Monster are extra intriguing since they can be quickened after Mind Sliver and they're also eligible to be twinned as well. Concentration is a drawback though. I like Far Step, and think I would make use of it, but also concentration. I've never seen Synaptic Static in play before, but it sounds pretty decent especially targeting Int.

Other spells I've considered are
    Bigby's Hand. Sounds neat, but uses concentration.
    Cone of Cold. I could switch Extended Spell for Transmute Spell and use this for some fun effect. Deal fire damage while freezing them?
    Telekinesis. This can be pretty strong in the right hands. Too bad it can't be combined with Wall of Fire. Again, I'm trying not to get too overloaded with concentrations spells.

Playstyle is typically hiding in back blasting while twin hasting the Fighter and Barb. As with most Sorcerers, I don't have a whole lot to offer outside of combat. I used to have Disguise Self, but traded it out a level or 2 ago. As much as I'd like a little more utility, I'm not sure I want to spend a 5th level slot on it. Having said that, Creation, Seeming, or Teleportation Circle could be useful.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: 5th level spell for 9th level Pyro Sorcerer

So, sticking to what you've said so far about how you play, synaptic static should be your go to. It compresses blasting, debuffing and no concentration in a single spell and sorcerers are really keen on compressing niches with their limited spells. It also happens to be good, so there's that.

Far step is a no, way too situational for something that takes your concentration. Better drop two casts on misty step. And if you're out of combat, might as well climb or fly.

Hold monster's repeat saves kill it for me. I don't want my 5ths to have so many chances to fizzle while spending my concentration on top of it.

Dominate person is the only other option from those you've presented that I'd consider, though primarily for outside combat, as it's also extremely unreliable in a fight. If anything, it's in the same category as creation, telekinesis or seeming and of these, I'd personally go with telekinesis unless you want to pull off shenanigans with creation.

For some additional options, I have animate objects, summon draconic spirit and wall of stone. A summoning option is always good to have and the objects are very damaging, blowing most blasts out of the water, while the spirit is less so, but is also less fiddly to operate and roll for, is decently tanky, offers good damage still and a number of utility effects, namely flight (and it's large, so you or someone else can ride it), swimming, blindsight and a damage resistance for you. Plus, flavor, unless you can't think of ways to tie in a dragon spirit with pyromancy.

As for wall of stone, it's no wall of force, but it's still a solid wall, it's not exactly easy to break either (180hp on a standard configuration takes a while to chip through) and outside of its many and useful combat applications (solid wall spells are just good), it also packs great out of combat utility due to its shaping flexibility and ability to become permanent. Create bridges, divert or dam rivers, build fortifications... the possibilities aren't endless, but they are certainly more than a few. As long as there's stone around, which isn't unlikely.

Oh, and flavor-wise... there's immolation. But it's decidedly not a good spell, so only take that if you wanna lean fully into being Chandra.

Side note, nice spell selection. I would suggest shield over mirror image though.
    Last edited by Chaos Jackal; 2024-02-21 at 05:59 AM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

HalflingWizardGirl

I recommend seeming from the last sentence of your post. One of its potential uses is a mass version of disguise self, and it doesn’t require concentration. Barring that, I think swapping in Transmuted Spell and picking up cone of cold is also a very fun option.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Immolation from XGE seems fitting for Pyromancer.
    Please be mindful of what you say in public; sadly not all can handle sarcasm or The Internet Credibility.
    My Homebrew:
    Base Class: Warlord | Roguish Archetype: Inquisitor | Roguish Archetype: Thug | Primal Path: Rage Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Anon von Zilch View Post
    Words actually mean things, people!

Ongoing game & character:
    Sajan Uttam, human Monk 6/Fist of Irori 3 (Legacy of Fire)

D&D/Pathfinder CV of sorts
    3.0 since 2002
    3.5 since 2003
    4e since 2008
    Pathfinder 1e since 2008
    5e since 2014

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

Summon Draconic Spirit, always use the fire options. Since it's a large flying creature you should be able to use it as a mount. You can decide how it looks, you could make it look like a phoenix or burning red dragon.
    Black text is for sarcasm, also sincerity. You'll just have to read between the lines and infer from context like an animal

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mastikator View Post
    Summon Draconic Spirit, always use the fire options. Since it's a large flying creature you should be able to use it as a mount.
    ^^^^This
    or animate objects. Yes, synaptic static is good, but the summons improves the action economy, as do the animatee objects.
    Unless you are tired of concentration spells, in which case ...synaptic static hard to beat.
    Last edited by KorvinStarmast; 2024-02-21 at 09:16 AM.
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

7. - Top - End - #7

Ok I kinda almost feel obligated to take Immolation as a Pyro sorcerer. I was not familiar with that spell, and have never seen it in play before. It should be eligible for Twinning too which makes it even better. I can spam Mind Sliver to help the target fail the saves. I'll definitely have to take this at some point whether it be now, or next level. May even have to trade out a lower level spell for it.

Summon Draconic Spirit seems pretty good too. I'll probably have to take that at some point.

I have Wall of Fire of course so I don't want another 'Wall of' spell even though admittedly Wall of Stone does have some utility to it.

The Bard has Animate Objects so I've ruled that out.

Good call out on Hold Monster's repeat saves. Still a good spell, but it does drop a bit.

I'm still considering Dominate Person, Synaptic Static, and Seeming. Hard to find any faults with any of them.

I still think I'd get use out of Far Step, but I doubt I'd choose it over some of the others mentioned.

Mirror Image has worked out great for this character so I'll keep it over Shield. I did have Absorb Elements until level 7 so I kinda want to get that back at some point.
    Last edited by CTurbo; 2024-02-21 at 05:24 PM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by CTurbo View Post
    My Pyromancy Sorc just hit 9th level and I have decision paralysis about which 5th level spell to take. I figure surely somebody would point out something I haven't considered.

Dex 16, Con 18, Cha 20

Fey Touched*
    Metamagic Adept

Subtle, Quicken, Twinned, and Extended

Green Flame Blade
    Prestidigitation
    Gust
    Firebolt
    Mind Sliver

Mage Armor
    Burning Hands
    Silvery Barbs*

Scorching Ray
    Mirror Image
    Misty Step*

Fireball
    Haste
    Counterspell

Wall of Fire
    Greater Invisibility

?

Dominate Person, Hold Monster, Far Step, and Synaptic Static all have my attention so far. Dominate Person and Hold Monster are extra intriguing since they can be quickened after Mind Sliver and they're also eligible to be twinned as well. Concentration is a drawback though. I like Far Step, and think I would make use of it, but also concentration. I've never seen Synaptic Static in play before, but it sounds pretty decent especially targeting Int.

Other spells I've considered are
    Bigby's Hand. Sounds neat, but uses concentration.
    Cone of Cold. I could switch Extended Spell for Transmute Spell and use this for some fun effect. Deal fire damage while freezing them?
    Telekinesis. This can be pretty strong in the right hands. Too bad it can't be combined with Wall of Fire. Again, I'm trying not to get too overloaded with concentrations spells.

Playstyle is typically hiding in back blasting while twin hasting the Fighter and Barb. As with most Sorcerers, I don't have a whole lot to offer outside of combat. I used to have Disguise Self, but traded it out a level or 2 ago. As much as I'd like a little more utility, I'm not sure I want to spend a 5th level slot on it. Having said that, Creation, Seeming, or Teleportation Circle could be useful.

I know this is a little off-topic, but what exactly is a Pyro sorcerer? It sounds interesting. Is it homebrew, from a third-party, from some book I don't know of? Thanks.

9. - Top - End - #9

Quote Originally Posted by TheHalfAasimar View Post
    I know this is a little off-topic, but what exactly is a Pyro sorcerer? It sounds interesting. Is it homebrew, from a third-party, from some book I don't know of? Thanks.
    It's a subclass introduced in Plane Shift: Kaladesh

It's been a fun character to play for sure.

https://media.wizards.com/2017/downl...t_Kaladesh.pdf

10. - Top - End - #10
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by CTurbo View Post
    It's a subclass introduced in Plane Shift: Kaladesh

It's been a fun character to play for sure.

https://media.wizards.com/2017/downl...t_Kaladesh.pdf
    Wow! Thanks!