New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

Default Re: The Royal Artificery Society - IC II

Aiden laughs. "Well, then, I'd love to meet her and ask her about the angling, if you don't mind me following along. And goodness, I wouldn't mind if some other time I could ask you some things about seacraft just more generally - I'm delighted this first foray has gone so well, but I'm sure I can learn a lot from someone so learned. And I'll certainly help your friend as best I can - I have some work coming up already, but I've found I can squeeze other projects in if I try!"

2. - Top - End - #92
    Troll in the Playground

Once the final formalities were handled the sun was already setting as afternoon turned to evening. Ulrik led the way to the restaurant he'd mentioned before. It was a large wooden building near the waterfront. A large sign above the door proclaimed the place's name to be 'Bluefin's Rest'.

the Bluefin's rest
    When Aiden and Ulrik entered the restaurant business was already picking up with the dinner crowd. The clientele seemed to consist of merchants, ship officers and well-off craftsmen and women, and the restaurant was rapidly filling up. Ulrik got the two of them a table near the door, underneath a wooden carving depicting a three masted ship made from driftwood.

"I'll check if my sister is around once the firs rush fot eh evening is done. For now, order whatever you want, it's my treat." Ulrik explained. "And once the friend I mentioned arrives... Ah, speak of the devil." Ulrik waved over a familiar looking Drow that had just entered the restaurant.

"Aiden, this is Shandara, an enchantress with the Royal artificer society. Shandara, this is Aiden Sorveaux, the expert woodworker I had mentioned before." Ulrik handled the introductions, quite unaware that the two knew each other already.
    Jasnah avatar by Zea Mays

3. - Top - End - #93
    Titan in the Playground

Default Bluefin's Rest

"Oh.. I didn't know you'd be bringing someone else along," Shandara said, a bit confused at first. Though Aiden's name WAS on the design for the model, so...

"Pleasure to meet you Aiden," she says, daintily extending a hand and attempting to mask a smile.

She turns to Ulrik and says, "Well, perhaps you'll be happy to know I've already found someone who could take care of my little problem. He's quite good. In fact, he's already sitting next to you."

Shandara has a flurry of emotions, all expressed by an awkward laugh, and sighing and looking down. "Truthfully, I have already met Aiden and was aware of his skill. At first, I just wanted a different wood worker for.. silly reasons I suppose. But when you had mentioned the person who made the model, I went and found out who it was. And strangely enough, it was Aiden again." She shrugs sheepishly. "Sometimes it feels like a small world, huh?"

4. - Top - End - #94
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

It is, quite possibly, the funniest situation Aiden has ever been a part of. He laughs, and the only reason it is a moderate laugh and not an uproarious one is because of a great deal of restraint that leaves his face red with the effort. Unable to compose himself to speak, he makes vaguely agreeing hand gestures toward the much more poised Shandara. The idea that she had been seeking out an alternative woodworker during their brief collegial dysfunction had already been declawed, and its revelation now didn't seem to bother him. Indeed, if anything, the fact seemed to enhance its quality as an anecdote he would tell for years to come.

Once Ulrik is emancipated from the situation to seek after his brother-in-law and sister, and Aiden has settled to a periodic flutter of chuckles, he sags into a chair and sighs contentedly. "It does seem that way sometimes. I suppose it's a reminder that so few people can work and create at the level we can; how much of a privilege it is to be a member of this society at all. You saw the model for the Hexfold Recovery System? The navy just picked it up for production, and we're all just tickled pink. Oh! But on the subject of boats... That transparency enchantment you developed - can I ask how long it lasts? What the expense of casting it happens to be, and so forth? My head's spinning with another idea launching off it, but I want to make sure I understand it a little better."

5. - Top - End - #95
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DeTess View Post
    the Fernhal Courier compound
    From his position next to the carriage Bolten could not make out much more of the ballista's function. There were iron rungs set in the side of the carriage that would allow the dwarf to climb up to the carriage's top, but before he had the chance to do so he was addressed by a dwarf. The dwarf appeared about middle-aged, and was dressed as a smith. a badge on his apron showed the symbol of a carriage wheel with a thorny vine wrapped around it, the insignia of the Fernhal courier guild. The dwarf carried with him a klong metal rack filled with large bolts, likely meant for the ballista Bolten had been admiring. "Can I help you with anything?" the dwarf asked. He did not sound unfriendly exactly, but Bolten did get the feeling from the blacksmith's tone he might be getting in the way of his work.
    Not missing the other dwarf's tone, Bolten backs away from the contraption. "Oh, er, I apologize! Didn't mean to get in the way of the operations! I was just admiring the automated loading system on the ballista here. Quite handy, I am sure.

Anyway, to the point... I was referred here by a book from the Artificer Society Archives. It made some mention of 'extraplanar shortcuts' and cited your organization as something of a reference. I'm trying to help a fri- an acquaintance with a project of his. He's on a bit of a time crunch and we were hoping that one of these shortcuts would help us cheat some time. I just... don't know exactly who I should be talking to, kinsman."

6. - Top - End - #96
    Troll in the Playground

"You could talk to the guildmaster." The dwarf nodded in the direction of the large central building. "But a word of warning. If one of your questions would be asking how much we charge, it means you can't afford us." The dwarf added that matter of-factly, no arrogance to his voice whatsoever. "If you wonder why we would charge that much, you should go up there." He gestured towards the stone-walled enclosure. "Just tell them Farsmith said you could observe, and stay out of everyone's way. Things should pop off in half an hour or so."

7. - Top - End - #97
    Titan in the Playground

Default Bluefin's Rest

Quote Originally Posted by MrAbdiel View Post
    Once Ulrik is emancipated from the situation to seek after his brother-in-law and sister, and Aiden has settled to a periodic flutter of chuckles, he sags into a chair and sighs contentedly. "It does seem that way sometimes. I suppose it's a reminder that so few people can work and create at the level we can; how much of a privilege it is to be a member of this society at all. You saw the model for the Hexfold Recovery System? The navy just picked it up for production, and we're all just tickled pink. Oh! But on the subject of boats... That transparency enchantment you developed - can I ask how long it lasts? What the expense of casting it happens to be, and so forth? My head's spinning with another idea launching off it, but I want to make sure I understand it a little better."
    "I did see the model," Shandara says. "Can't say I understood much of what I saw at first glance, but as always, the wood work was impeccable."

Shandara hmms a bit and then says, "Well, it would depend on the skill of the caster, but I believe I could cast it on someone else and it lasts for about two minutes. It would be considered a.. spell of complexity one, and so the cost of putting a charge in a potion or wand would be around fifty gold pieces. Or perhaps, much cheaper, were you able to find a person willing to cast it." The drow smiles faintly at Aiden, with a smug impishness.

Then she sighs. "Alright, let's hear it. What is this idea of yours?"
    Last edited by WindStruck; 2024-04-23 at 02:40 AM.

8. - Top - End - #98
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

Aiden pulled a face that suggested a mixture of surprise at the cost of a single casting - and some amused self reproach and being unfamiliar with how expensive even simple castings can be. Honestly, money and its value had never been the most pronounced element of his learning.

"Well, nothing too serious. I mean... Well, if it's remarkably cheaper to make wood transparent than to make objects genuinely invisible, there's all kinds of applications. My thought was to install a nice, solid panel in the bottom of this boat the lads are fixing. If they could toggle transparency on and off, why... They'd be able to see when they were right over the fish, for the casting of the net, without all the watershimmer or the waterblur and trouble of sticking your head under. But you could make windows that don't expose a building to intruders or weather; or some kind of... semi-permanent structures to be deployed into the sea, for observation of the creatures down there, without the fear of a glass porthole cracking and bursting inward. I'm sure there's many military applications, though admittedly my mind for those things is less sharp. But a shield that permits a soldier to shelter from arrows without peeking around the edges.. or even an ironwood helm with no vulnerable eyeslot. Things like that."

And then, with a burst of excitement, he adds again.

"You could grow flowers in a box, with the sun still nourishing them, without ever worrying that the grasshoppers would get at them!"
    Last edited by MrAbdiel; 2024-04-22 at 11:34 PM.

9. - Top - End - #99
    Titan in the Playground

Shandara gives Aiden that look again. Not spiteful, scornful, or dismissive. Just a bit weary.

"Hrm, well... if you're surprised about the costs for a single casting of the spell, I suppose I'll need to impress upon you how much vastly more expensive such a thing would cost if the enchantment is made permanent. This is not to mention the extra complexity involved with making the effect suppressible, and certain volume and weight limitations..."

"Also bear in mind, that it is a divination spell: which means although you might be able to see within the contents of a wooden box protecting a plant, the plant is still very much confined in darkness."

"All fun and interesting ideas, but they either don't work or likely have far too much cost that outweigh any potential benefits. Hm, that helmet idea, though. That might be something. The Ranger's Guild does seem to have deep pockets that might spare large expense for a marginal benefit. But this isn't an idea I would try pitching to them. I would rather try to solve problems people currently have or fill existing needs, rather than create some wondrous item and then scrabble around trying to find someone who actually wants it."
    Last edited by WindStruck; 2024-04-24 at 09:38 PM.

10. - Top - End - #100
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

"Well, it would need to be permanent, but not necessarily suppressible. I'm sure a mechanical shutter would do in most situations, just like with a glass window..."

It's a minor defense and he offers a sheepish smile. He knows the kind of dream-headed craftsman he is; how much better he is, for having a more concretely focused friend like this.

"Wait... if the divination doesn't allow real light through, then how..."

What follows is short exchange justifying the nature of divination in the face of an understanding of how light is required for sight. The specifics are less important than where Aiden lands, at the end.

"Well, that's fair enough. It was just a curiosity. But all the same, if I could bring over a wooden panel of a certain size and grain and leave it with you, could you - in an off moment when you've nothing better to do - compose a quote on what it would cost me to make it functionally transparent permanently? Even if just for a novelty project. If it's not a wild number, I'll commission you. I'd consider it a favor."

11. - Top - End - #101
    Titan in the Playground

Shandara blinks and asks, "Is there some reason glass wouldn't work?"

Sheepishly, she turns to Ulrik with an awkward smile. "Well, what do you think of all this? Also, should we get an appetizer? Hm, what's good..."

Spoiler: ooc
    Show
    craving calamari!

12. - Top - End - #102
    Troll in the Playground

Ulrik had returned sometime during the conversation, and had quietly informed Aiden that his sister would be stopping by the restaurant later that evening.

He mulled over Shandara's question for a moment, before answering her second question first. "For appetizers the squid is good this time of year. They come down from the north as the temperature drops, so they're far fresher. My brother-in-law fries strips of the creatures up in a light batter which makes the whole very tasty." Ulrik took a quick glance over the menu to refresh his memory. "Soup of the day is probably something salty this time of year. As a main I'd recommend Tuna or Crab."

Having finished the recommendation the shipwright turned back to the initial topic. "I can think of a few applications in shipbuilding where transparent wood could be useful, provided it isn't too costly. We avoid using glass because of its fragility, but you have to use it for some situations, and then you need to design around it, probably include heavy shutters or budget for enchantments. If transparent wood is cheaper than magically reinforced glass it could see quite a bit of use in my line of work."

13. - Top - End - #103
    Titan in the Playground

"Divination simply imparts knowledge onto the affected creature or person directly. You can see something no one else can, or through a solid object for instance.. but that does not change the physical state of the world in any way. It's the same with illusions. They will trick a creature or another person into perceiving this or that, but they don't actually alter the state of the world. And so, a plant confined in such a box would wither and die without sunlight, even though we may be able to see it perfectly fine. This is also why I suggested glass, as that is a fine deterrent for keeping insects out," Shandara says.

"As for the much more intensive boat applications, I wouldn't think there's anything wrong with a bit of magically reinforced glass, plus a cover.. for instance on a small portion of the bottom of a boat. It is, of course, far less sturdy than normal wood still, but you wouldn't want to take such a boat into dangerous applications like navy battles, navigating areas with dangerous hazards, and the like..."

She continues, "Now, I probably could give an estimation on enchanting a sizeable slab of wood in such a way, but do keep in mind that what I am thinking of, with the current spell I have developed, it only affects one person at a time. In other words, only one person could see through the wood at any given time. But, in order to let it affect more than one person, that makes it significantly more expensive, to the point where permanent invisibility is likely a superior option. And that would probably cost, oh.. say.. at least six thousand gold pieces?"

Spoiler: some rolls
    Show
    arcana: (1d20+17)[31]
    appraise: (1d20+11)[21]

let me know if there's some tweaks I could make to what Shandara says
    Last edited by WindStruck; 2024-04-29 at 03:40 PM.

14. - Top - End - #104
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DeTess View Post
    "You could talk to the guildmaster." The dwarf nodded in the direction of the large central building. "But a word of warning. If one of your questions would be asking how much we charge, it means you can't afford us." The dwarf added that matter of-factly, no arrogance to his voice whatsoever. "If you wonder why we would charge that much, you should go up there." He gestured towards the stone-walled enclosure. "Just tell them Farsmith said you could observe, and stay out of everyone's way. Things should pop off in half an hour or so."
    Bolten struggles to keep a polite expression in the face of such pride. Such a sentiment would have been considered the height of rudeness back home! Instead, Bolten bows his head to excuse himself and heads toward the walled compound. He's already paid for the carriage to wait and come out all this way. Might as well see what the literal fuss is about.

Upon finding one of the sentries, Bolten informs him of Farsmith's instructions. The dwarf then finds a place where he can get comfortable for the wait.

15. - Top - End - #105
    Troll in the Playground

Within the enclosure was a flat area paved evenly with large slabs of stone. Large sections of the ground and wall had soot and scorchmarks on them, but apart from those there was nothing remarkable in there at all. The guards patrolling the wall kept an eye on the yard nonetheless, but they seemed quite unworried.

All that changed when, about 15 minutes after Bolten ascended the wall, a loud bell rang across the compound. It tolled twice, then fell silent again, though the silence spread over the entire compound, as all activity seemed to halt for a moment. The silence only lasted for a second, before the noise resumed, though there seemed to be a greater urgency to it now.

The few watchers on the wall became more alert, and soon enough more guards carrying heavy looking bows and crossbows joined them, as well as several men and women carrying staves and other spellcasting implements. Bolten could hear the enclosure's one gate being opened, and a large metal portcullis was winched up, dropped down with the pull of a lever and then winched up again. Farsmith and several of his colleagues made a circuit of the wall, handing glowing bolts and arrows to the guards, and then setting up five magical contraptions, one at each corner of the enclosure, and the fifth above the gate. Each consisted of a long metal staff and a tri-pod to hold it up. After setting them all up, the ones at the corners started glowing red, and the one at the gate started glowing green.

Several minutes later the bell rang again, this time tolling three times. A hush settled over the guards on the wall, all of them looking into the enclosure. Several moments later an elderly human in flowing purple robes arrived on the wall, flanked by two more guards carrying shields. The man held two staves in his hands, one made from black metal, the other carved from grey wood in a twisted shape.

Two minutes of silence passed, as everyone in the wall stared fixedly at the enclosure. Then someone called out as a tiny purple mote of light appeared near the wall opposite the gate. It grew in radiance and size, then with a tearing noise a large rent in the fabric of reality opened up, bleeding a purple radiance.

Moments later a large creature came running through the rent. It was the size and general shape of a bear, but its body was covered in feathers and it had the head of an owl. It was covered in armor and four sturdy ropes stretched back from the armor and disappeared behind it into the rift. It was quickly followed by a second, third and fourth specimen, all running towards the open gate, and moments later a large carriage of the same model Bolten had seen before was dragged out of the tear by the ropes leading back to the owlbears. The carriage was heavily damaged, several of its eight wheels where missing, and great gouges were torn in the amor plating on the carriage's side. There was no sign of the ballista Bolten had seen on the other carriage. At the front of the carriage was a sorceress holding a staff shining a purple light ahead of her and a harried looking coachman holding the reins of the owlbears, and several guards where hanging on to the sides of the carriage of the carriage as they fought of a number of long-limbed, eyeless, grey-skinned creatures that were clinging to the back of the carriage.

A horde of the grey-skinned creatures started pouring out of the tear in space and chased after the carriage, but the purple robed wizard on the wall slammed his iron staff against the ground while shouting a phrase in a language unknow to the dwarf, and a wall of fire sprung up, bisecting the courtyard and halting the monster's advance. The carriage quickly disappeared through the gate, and moments later the portcullis came down, locking the monsters in.

The guards, meanwhile, had started firing their bows and crossbows at the creatures below. First came a volley of enchanted bolts, the arrowheads exploding on impact in gouts of fire and bursts of electricity. These where followed by mundane arrows, as well as spells from the spellcaster on the wall. The purple-robed wizard continued chanting and brandished his wooden staff. Green strands of energy leapt forth from the staff, twisting themselves around the tear in the air and slowly closing it up, even as more monsters tried to claw their way through, straight into a hail of bolts, arrows and spells.

16. - Top - End - #106
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

Quote Originally Posted by WindStruck View Post
    "Now, I probably could give an estimation on enchanting a sizeable slab of wood in such a way, but do keep in mind that what I am thinking of, with the current spell I have developed, it only affects one person at a time. In other words, only one person could see through the wood at any given time. But, in order to let it affect more than one person, that makes it significantly more expensive, to the point where permanent invisibility is likely a superior option. And that would probably cost, oh.. say.. at least six thousand gold pieces?"
    Aiden whistles a low, swooping note as his eyebrows shoot up.

"That's a pricey window. I think you might be right. Better off getting a... a rod that can cast it a couple of times per day. Or a wand of Detect Fish! Haha! But like Ulrik says, it may end up with some value in a military shipbuilding field. Indeed, especially the divination instead of the invisibility - perhaps you want to be able to see out, but not be seen in."

He profits from Ulrik's dining recommendation, and orders the soup to begin and the crab to follow (after a brief misunderstanding about 'crab soup', and revelation that he might never have been in a circumstance where a two-course meal was standard). Theoretically, he's mostly waiting for Ulrik's sister to arrive to pick her brain about fishing, but in the time between he tries to steer the conversation towards novel enchantments in the field of shipbuilding, and then sits back and lets the expertise radiating off the other two wash through him.