New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Let's use the Monster Manual

Long, long ago, there was a very popular thread on this site that went through the Monster Manual, commenting on the various monsters found within. (It can be found at https://forums.giantitp.com/showthre...onster-Manual! for anyone looking.) I want/plan to do another thread in its spirit.
    Rather than just redoing what was done, I am going to be focusing on something new, ways to use each monster within a campaign. (The original post did plot ideas, but that assumes that the monster is the focus of at least a sub-plot. I plan to suggest interesting encounters, both combat and not, that can be slotted into a campaign not focusing on the monster. Basically, ways to use.)
    If anyone else wants to contribute at any point, go right ahead. I don't mind if they want to take on a different angle of the monster that I'm not discussing (plot ideas, lore, whatever), or if they want to continue what I'm doing. I plan to do 1 monster a week (I have limited time, sorry) but I don't mind skipping to whatever monster the thread is up to.

(If anyone likes my ideas and wants more, I have a blog doing this at https://dragonencounters.com/. I'm doing this thread partially to get feedback, partly because I want to, and I guess also partially to promote myself. The blog is also a free resource.)

With all that out of the way, let's get started.

6 Ways to use… aaracockra

1) Given that they fly, they can keep the players updated with what's going on the in the world, letting your quest have proper scale.
    2) The enemies have an army. Can the PCs hold them off long enough for the aaracockra to complete the ritual?
    3) The enemy at the top is too powerful for the aaracokra. It also has ranged capabilities. Can the aaracockra help the players reach the top, where they can fight it, without exposing themselves suicidally.
    4) The enemy in the dungeon is too powerful for the players. The aaracockra won't fight indoors. Lure the enemy outside to claim victory. You'll still have to stop it from retreating, of course.
    5) The aaracockra are hostile. If you don't want to climb the mountain while being sniped, you'll have to do it while the aaracockra are grounded on account of a storm. Of course, storms aren't exactly ideal climbing weather.
    6) Yan-C-Bin [prince of elemental evil. Air] has corrupted the ritual. Stop the aaracockra before they summon a corrupted air elemental that will lay waste to the entire area.
    DM, writer, and blog master of dragonencounters.com, a blog dedicated to providing unusual, worthwhile encounters for each monster, making each one unique.

Also, suggestions for which monsters might be found together (for people tired of dungeons full of one humanoid race, and perhaps a few beasts and undead.)

2. - Top - End - #2
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Re: Let's use the Monster Manual

can someone contact the moderators for me. I didn't see it on the forum, I decided that I must have forgotten to post it, and so I reposted it. Then I saw that I had already posted it.
    (I'm asking the moderators to remove the double thread.)
    DM, writer, and blog master of dragonencounters.com, a blog dedicated to providing unusual, worthwhile encounters for each monster, making each one unique.

Also, suggestions for which monsters might be found together (for people tired of dungeons full of one humanoid race, and perhaps a few beasts and undead.)

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Alexander Atoz View Post
    can someone contact the moderators for me. I didn't see it on the forum, I decided that I must have forgotten to post it, and so I reposted it. Then I saw that I had already posted it.
    (I'm asking the moderators to remove the double thread.)
    If you want the mods to delete it, it's probably best to use the Report post button (the little triangle at the bottom left of the post).

4. - Top - End - #4
    Sheriff in the Playground Administrator

Sheriff: Closed in favor of the original one: here.
    Forum Rules

Sheriff Roland by Chris the Pontifex