New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Halfling in the Playground

MindFlayer

Default 5e-New Barbarian Subclasses-PEACH

Path of the Sun Warrior

For countless generations the sun has shown over countless battlefields. It is no coincidence that summer is the season of war, and that summer is when the sun shines it’s brightest. It is also no coincidence that many cultures across the material plane associate the sun with deities of war. As a Sun Warrior you are this ancient warrior gods champion. You bring light to the darkest places, and the edge of your blade to those that hide in it.

-Sun Scoured: When you choose this path at 3rd level, your body has hardened under the light of the punishing sun. You become resistant to Fire and Radiant damage.

-Blinding Rage: At 3rd level, your rage channels the blinding light of the high sun. While raging, you shed bright light for 20ft and dim light for an additional 20ft. This dispels magical darkness. All enemies within 5ft of you are treated as having the Sunlight Sensitivity trait. Enemies that already possess this trait must succeed on a Wisdom saving throw (DC 8+your Proficiency Bonus+your Constitution modifier) or be frightened for the duration of your rage. The enemy may make an additional save at the beginning of each of their turns to end this effect early. Enemies that succeed on this save are immune to your rage’s fear effect for 1 hour.

-Burning Clarity: Starting at 6th level, your light banishes impurity and falsehood. While raging, you are immune to being magically charmed, frightened, or made to sleep.

-Eyes Of Revealing Light: At 10th level, your eyes take on a heavenly light. You gain the following benefits:

-You are treated as always being under the effect of the See Invisibility spell.

-You have advantage on all saves against spells of the Illusion school of magic.

-You may cast Zone of Truth a number of times equal to your Proficiency Bonus. You regain all uses of this ability upon completing a long rest.

-Sun Flare: At 14th level, the same light that fills and guides you also lashes out at your foes. While raging, when you take damage from a creature within 5ft of you, you can use your Reaction to force them to make a Dexterity saving throw (DC 8+your Proficiency Bonus+your Constitution modifier). The target takes 4d6 Radiant damage on a failed save, or half as much damage on a successful one.

Path of the Undying

Those that follow the path of the undying have somehow been corrupted by the necrotic influence of the hungry dead. Some find themselves following this path after a traumatic experience coming back from the dead, the exposure to a necromancer’s machinations, or even a curse from a God of death. No matter the cause, these damned warriors gradually become something other than mortal as the rage of the dead builds within them.

-Grave-touched: When you choose this path at 3rd level, your body becomes infused with the cold touch of death. You become resistant to Cold and Necrotic damage.

-Necrotic Rage: At 3rd level, you can channel Necrotic corruption into your weapon strikes. While raging, the first creature you hit on each of your turns with a weapon attack takes Necrotic damage equal to 1d6 + half your Barbarian level.

-Undead Taskmaster: At 6th level, your Necrotic Rage infects those you kill with animating fury. If you kill a beast or humanoid with a melee attack while raging, you can use your reaction to animate it. The creature uses the Zombie stat block in the Monster Manual, and remains animated for 1 minute before collapsing back into death.

-Undead Corruption: At 10th level, Death’s corrupting touch worms it’s way further into your flesh. You no longer need to breathe, eat, or drink. You do not require sleep, but must remain inactive for 4 hours in a semi-conscious state to benefit from a long rest.

Additionally, you may cast Speak With Dead a number of times equal to your Proficiency Bonus. You regain all uses of this ability upon completing a long rest.

-Banshee’s Wail: At 14th level, you gain the debilitating cry of the Banshee. While raging, you can use a Bonus Action on your turn to shriek at an enemy within 10ft of you. That creature must succeed on a Constitution saving throw (DC 8 + your Strength bonus + your Proficiency Bonus) or be knocked prone and take 1d12 psychic damage.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

MindFlayer

Default Re: 5e-New Barbarian Subclasses-PEACH

Sun warrior.

I like the theme. I think it carries it well. The resistances at 3rd level seem a bit odd as they are totally pssive and not tied to rage. Two damage resistances is significant, especial given you can pick up more by race and by raging.

Blinding rage seems thematically strong but mechanically a little confused. Giving enemies sunlight sensitivity could be interpreted as interacting with "channels the blinding light of the high sun" so might benefit from clarification. So any enemy within 5ft gets disadvantage which is huge. On the other hand there is a save, an if they fail... then they also det disadvantage on their attacks which does nothing... and they can't move closer to you, though they are already within 5ft. I would be tempted to switch this to a simple Con save vs being blinded. A zero-save debilitating condition is too strong sometimes and mandating additional saves to determine a new effect that probably won't be relavent seems a bit of a faff.

Burning Clarity - not sure about this. Its better than Mindless Rage from Berserker and thats one of its best abilities. I also don't quite feel he sunlight theme here.

Eyes of revealing light - love the see invisibility. It feels unique, it feels like it adds to the class and is thematic. Advantage on saves vs illusion... I can see it. Its not huge given a number of illusion spells need ability checks. Zone of truth I don't see as a great fit (though you do have a divination sub-theme going on) but I lov the out of combat addition the the class. Spell DC 8+con modifier +prof?

Sun Flare. Its good. Its a fine ability. At this level its not a game breaking amount of damage.

All in all I think I would allow something like this at my table, though I might want to tidy up level 3 a bit and might even remove the fire resistance. I do like the idea of a Con Barbarian with that as the primary stat and this delivers that quite well.

Path of the undying. Again I love the theme and it feels like I can envisage the barbarian.

Resistances, same as before (and like fire, necrotic damage is not uncommon). Its quite contextually powerful. Necrotic rage feels like a zealot copy.

Undead Taskmaster - I don't really like this. Its not average power or theme really (though a little for each I guess). Its just that sometimes it will do nothing for whole campaigns. There is the risk of it being so disapointing. I wasn't realy getin reanimator vibes from the class either. Necromantic, yes but less so that (which doesn't mean it shouldn't be a reanimator class). Even when it works, this is likely to be weak. If enemies are dying, you are probably quie far into a fight and there just isn't time for these summons to make much of a difference.

Tenth level brings a ribbon and speak with dead (which is cool). Not a powerful level, but thats OK.

Banshee's wail. Not sure about the theme for this. The whole dread banshee thing doesn' scream strength save to me. And banshee I think is Charisma save? It feels like it could be a more generic battlecry ability but nothing tie to undeath. Its not a bad ability, even at this level. D12 damage is no much, but getting advantage on atacks or stopping them from reacing allies to fight them as they need to stand up is pretty good.

I think this subclass could use a bit of a boost. It also doesn't feel as powerfully unique in its mechanics as the the concept/theme and almost like the Zealot does it better (same bonus damage, comes back from the dead easier, rage beyond death feels undead-y). I would use Zealot as a benchmark, not just for power but for flavour - if a player were to read the class abilities (not fluff) could they tell which was the
    undying one.

Both very cool ideas though.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Halfling in the Playground

MindFlayer

Default Re: 5e-New Barbarian Subclasses-PEACH

Undying and Sun Warrior 2.0!

Path of the Undying

Those that follow the path of the undying have somehow been corrupted by the necrotic influence of the hungry dead. Some find themselves following this path after a traumatic experience coming back from the dead, the exposure to a necromancer’s machinations, or even a curse from a God of death. No matter the cause, these damned warriors gradually become something other than mortal as the rage of the dead builds within them.

-Grave-touched: When you choose this path at 3rd level, your body becomes infused with the cold touch of death. You become resistant to Cold and Necrotic damage.

-Necrotic Rage: At 3rd level, a necrotic miasma leaks from your form while raging. When you enter a rage this corruption forms a sickly aura extending 10ft from you in all directions. This does not extend through total cover.
    Upon entering into rage, and on each of your turns as a bonus action, a target within 10ft of you must make a Dexterity saving throw (DC equal to 8 + your Constitution modifier + your Proficiency Bonus). The target takes 1d6 Necrotic damage on a failed save, or half as much damage on a successful one.
    This damage increases when you reach 5th level (2d6), 10th level (3d6), and 15th level (4d6).

-Undead Taskmaster: At 6th level, your Necrotic Rage infects those you kill with animating fury. If you kill a beast or humanoid with a melee attack while raging, you can use your reaction to cast Summon Undead using Constitution as your spell casting ability. When cast in this way the spell requires only a corpse as material components, does not interrupt your rage, and does not require concentration. The undead lasts for 1 minute before falling dead once more. At 10th level you can cast this as a 4th level spell, and at 15th level you can cast it as a 5th level spell.

-Undead Corruption: At 10th level, Death’s corrupting touch worms it’s way further into your flesh. You no longer need to breathe, eat, or drink. You do not require sleep, but must remain inactive for 4 hours in a semi-conscious state to benefit from a long rest.
    Additionally, you may cast Speak With Dead a number of times equal to your Proficiency Bonus. You regain all uses of this ability upon completing a long rest.

-Vitality Siphon: At 14th level, your Necrotic Rage feature can leave your enemies exhausted or stunned. An enemy damaged by your Necrotic Rage feature must succeed on a Constitution save (DC 8 + your Constitution modifier + your Proficiency Bonus) or take 1 level of exhaustion. This ability ignores immunity to exhaustion, but any enemy can only gain 1 level of exhaustion from this feature per rage.

Path of the Sun Warrior

For countless generations the sun has shown over countless battlefields. It is no coincidence that summer is the season of war, and that summer is when the sun shines it’s brightest. It is also no coincidence that many cultures across the material plane associate the sun with deities of war. As a Sun Warrior you are this ancient warrior gods champion. You bring light to the darkest places, and the edge of your blade to those that hide in it.

-Sun Scoured: When you choose this path at 3rd level, your body has hardened under the light of the punishing sun. You become resistant to Fire and Radiant damage.

-Celestial Rage: At 3rd level, your rage channels the blinding light of the high sun. While raging, you shed bright light for 20ft and dim light for an additional 20ft. This ability dispels magical darkness.
    Additionally, you learn the Sacred Flame cantrip. While raging you may cast this Cantrip using a Bonus Action. Constitution is your spell casting ability for this Cantrip.

-Phoenix Fire: Starting at 6th level, you gain the ability to heal yourself by burning your wounds shut. While raging, your abdomen burns like a furnace and produces a pool of healing fire. As an action, you can heal hit points equal to 5 x your Barbarian level. This healing can only be used on yourself, and only while raging. Your healing reserve can be used up all at once, or split between multiple healings. This pool replenishes upon completing a long rest.

-Eyes Of Revealing Light: At 10th level, your eyes take on a heavenly light. You gain the following benefits:
    -You are treated as always being under the effect of the See Invisibility spell.
    -You have advantage on all saves against spells of the Illusion school of magic.
    -You may cast Zone of Truth (DC equal to 8 + your Constitution modifier + your Proficiency Bonus) a number of times equal to your Proficiency Bonus. You regain all uses of this ability upon completing a long rest.

-Sun Flare: At 14th level, the same light that fills and guides you also lashes out at your foes. While raging, when you take damage from a creature within 5ft of you, you can use your Reaction to force them to make a Dexterity saving throw (DC 8+your Proficiency Bonus+your Constitution modifier). The target takes 4d6 Radiant damage on a failed save, or half as much damage on a successful one.