New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Default Aurangh's Savage Tide IC: There's no Honor

Savage Tides:

Earlier today everyone of you recieved this note:

"Greetings, and I trust this missive finds you well.
    My name is Lavinia Vanderboren and I humbly request your attendance at dinner at my state on Festival Street and Blue Skink Lane tomorrow evening. I think that I can present you with an opportunity uniquely suited to your skills. Please inform the carrier of this note of ou response to this invitations, and I hope to be speaking to you soon.

L.V."

**Aron and Brannick:**

Inside Aron Meravanchi's Cauldron of Suplies, an alley in the Merchant District.

**Aron Meravanchi:**

Your family bought this shaggy shop for you, you know they hope you fail at this endeavour and fall in line. But it is also a good if you suceeed and leave your brother in charge of the administration of the family lands.

There's no small amount of talk about the demise of the Vandenboren patriarchs, Larissa and Verik. Burnt alive on board of their ship under suspicious circumstances.
    Spoiler: K.Local/nobility DC 15
    Show
    Lavinia came back to Sasserine after their parents death not a month ago. She came from the free city of Greyhawk where she had been living for the past four years. Rumors say her younger brother, Vanthus, hasn't been seen since she came back.

Now, you receive this little note. Why you? Why would a Vanderborren call on a Merivanchi for help? And, ultimately, why not your older brother, Avner, who is roughly the same age as Lavinia?

**Brannick the Bold**
    Since you came to Sasserine under the employment of Aron Meravanchi, you have been mostly idle. Other than dealing with smugglers whose manners had to be corrected, Sasserine has not delivered the expected excitement.
    But earlier this morning a halfling came with a note for your employer and Aron has been visibly tinkering with the note. He called you to his shop office.

Walking towards Eli's tavern
    **Tefkros**

Shortly after leaving town for Cauldron a couple days ago your long-time friend Tolin Kentai, a member of the Jade Ravens, asked you to keep an eye on the smuggling activity in port. He mentioned the fire that killed the Vanderboren was bad news, the Jade Ravens had long been employees of the family, and things were about to change.
    Now, only two days later, you get this note summoning to the Vandenboren Mansion.

Leaving the Whirling Fury Church

**Eli**

This evening communion had been special. You couldn't take your eyes off the beautiful face of Lady Silvermane as she spoke deliriously.

Then, as you came back to your tavern, this halfling was waiting for you at the door with a note from no other than Lavinia Vanderboren. Though luck what happened to her parents.

Spoiler: k.local OR bardic Knowledge DC20
    Show
    Besides the well known facts, you have heard about Vanthus having some dark deals with the Lotus Dragon. Bad news those folks who had been slowly gaining power in Sasserine's underworld

You have confirmed assistance and have around 16 hours to the appointment.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Aurangh's Savage Tide IC: There's no Honor

Tefkros

Tefkros had been feeling restless the last few weeks. The jobs have been menial and beneath his skills. Even the recent trip to Cauldron did not do much to calm him. The smuggling, now this would be a fitting job! Hunting outlaws, stalking through land and water, it would be glorious.

And now an important family is reaching to him. He would meet with them, of course. It would be good for them to see what an elven hunter can do.

Walking straight, his face stoic and proud. Tefkros walks in the tavern of Eli. He scans the crowd for Eli. It would be good to exchange news about the Vanderboren. He takes his pipe out, sits and orders a biter ale.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Not sure if he finds Eli. If he does, assume that he is sitting next to him and greets him with the elven greeting "Mae Govannen"

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Aron

Aron fiddled with the note, hands rubbing the smooth writing as he paced up and down the tiny shop space. "She is wealthy, a young lady a few years older than myself, more of an age with Avner really. But I wonder if its to do with her parents' death, they burned in accident a season ago." He offers the note to Brannick to read as well, "I assume you can read Brannick? You can accompany me, if thee is ay trouble I'll need you arm to help deal with it."

Glancing around he looks out at the busting streetm "Shall we close up early, business is slow today ahead of the Wormfall Festival. Lets be having a drink and a lizard on a stick before we meet Lady Vanderboren?
    Thanks to Emperor Ing for the nice Avatar

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

Flumph

Eli gives the halfling messenger a quick — if a bit confused — acceptance of the invitation, then rereads the letter twice as he heads into the Silverlode. He makes Emma, an elderly woman who spends most of every morning in the bar, read it, too, in case he'd misunderstood something. Eli had just learned his letters recently; there hadn't been much call for it as a fisherman, but his uncle insisted he learn how to handle orders and accounts. "Last thing I need is somebody taking delivery of six barrels of grout 'cause they don't know any better."

He spends the next few hours trading ideas with the regulars as to what a Vanderboren would want with him. The leading theory was a proposal of marriage. The leading sober theory was she just needed a strong back to move furniture around as she settles into her role as head of the estate. But you don't usually ask someone to dinner for that.

One customer quietly warns him not to go, telling of the Vandorboren's possible link to the Lotus Dragons; Eli doesn't share that with the other customers, but it is a bit worrying.

"Mae Govannen." The language is easy to recognize among the usual chatter. Eli soon spies Tefkros, the mariner he'd known since he was a boy, at a table with an ale, pipe … and a familiar-looking letter. Eli tilts his head curiously, and instead of a wave holds up his own copy of the letter in greeting.

"Something to talk about over your drink?"
    Last edited by Rilem; 2024-03-03 at 06:50 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Brannick was in the back toying with one of his daggers, he was bored, the famous city 'Sasserine' was not living up to it's namesake, but that may have just changed as he watched the halfling deliver his missive to his new master, eyebrow raised, he stood up and entered the front of the shop, taking the note with a grin "Read, oh no, I forgot last night sometime between all the drinks...." he paused when he saw Aron was not in fact in the mood for jokes, with both eyebrows furrowed now, he reads the note.

He nods at the trouble part "Aye, I can do that, do you think there will be trouble with another noble-person like yourself? I would have thought any trouble like that would be a dagger in the back in some lone alley way." he stopped when he realized the Noble he was talking to had an alley just like it.

He smiles though at the mention of food, slapping his hands together he nods in agreement "Which one though, Varrick's stand has been closed down ever since the town guard busted his shop up."
    Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A

“Take but degree away, untune that string, And, hark, what discord follows!” -Shakespeare
    “Gnyðja mundu nú grísir, ef þeir vissi, hvat inn gamli þyldi” -Ragnar Lodbrok

"I have a high art; I hurt with cruelty those who would damage me." -Archilochus

Discord -Now with a recruitment bot!

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

Tefkros

Tefkros watches as Eli quickly catches up on things. He was always quick that way. His father, too. Though the letter was a surprise.

"You are in the truth, shaalafi." Tefkros even now regresses to mistranslated elven expressions, but shaalafi means friend, and he has called Eli that for some time now.

"And I see you got a letter, too. This perhaps explains why you are serving so many questions to your customers. I would have said less, myself.

But you know best. For me, I am content. I will go and see what the lady wants. But some conversation among shipmates, I think that would be a good thing. I have heard the name Vandorboren mentioned in the same sentence with smuggling. That the fire made things worse. Some friends are afraid of losing work.

And you? Will you be going?"

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

Flumph

"I think I should," Eli replies, and waggles a finger toward the bar crowd behind them. "They've got a … pool going. But if you've been invited, too, that's going to disappoint some of them."

He glances over his shoulder, and sure enough, the "marriage proposal" bettors were looking glum, with one trying to hedge their bets on "hired muscle."

Eli turns serious as Tefkros mentions the blaze that killed the Vandorborens. "Bad way to go, fire," he murmurs. His father had died the year before; it wasn't clear exactly how, his boat had been found smashed against the rocks a half-day out from port. Regardless, the sea had his body and would keep it. But to be burned? Who knows where you'd go?

He lowers his voice. "Her brother, name of Vanthus, I heard something about him and a gang called the Lotus Dragon, if you know of them. Don't know why a noble would want to be mixed up in that."
    Last edited by Rilem; 2024-03-05 at 12:15 AM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

Tefkros

Tefkros needs a moment to understand what the pool is about. A brief smile crosses his face which he hides behind his pipe. But he then pays special attention.

"I had not heard that, about the Lotus Dragon. So rumors fly, it seems.

But it is a good thing that you are going to be there tomorrow. I value a crewmate I can trust more than ten I do not know."

Tefkros cheers Eli and buys him a round, making small talk and reminiscing about old days. he takes the opportunity to have food served. He usually avoids eating out, since a hunter should be able to provide for himself. This is a special occasion, though. Unless something happens, he retires early to get ready for the next day.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BelGareth View Post
    Brannick was in the back toying with one of his daggers, he was bored, the famous city 'Sasserine' was not living up to it's namesake, but that may have just changed as he watched the halfling deliver his missive to his new master, eyebrow raised, he stood up and entered the front of the shop, taking the note with a grin "Read, oh no, I forgot last night sometime between all the drinks...." he paused when he saw Aron was not in fact in the mood for jokes, with both eyebrows furrowed now, he reads the note.

He nods at the trouble part "Aye, I can do that, do you think there will be trouble with another noble-person like yourself? I would have thought any trouble like that would be a dagger in the back in some lone alley way." he stopped when he realized the Noble he was talking to had an alley just like it.

He smiles though at the mention of food, slapping his hands together he nods in agreement "Which one though, Varrick's stand has been closed down ever since the town guard busted his shop up."
    Aron

Aron shrugs as he straightens his cloak and arranges the fall neatly. "I don't know here well, she is more of an age with Avner than with me. She had a brother as well, although I did not know him well. I'm not sure what she needs aid with although with her parents a month dead from a blaze she has my sympathy." He heads to the door and locks up as they leave, "I was thinking the little pie shop down Stinkgutter Lane, the one with that red head, she was all smiles last time and the food I think was even meat rather than the usual rat or water grunter."

If Brannick agrees they'll head down to the pie stall then onto the Vandboren manor

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Brannick and Aron.
    The subtropical evening brings a soft breeze from the port while you walk to the pie stall. The warm smell of Cresilda's meat and figs pie is unmistakable, and as you approach, the wench throws a smile at Brannick and stares with her intense black eyes as she displays a hefty slice of pie.

Sirs, sris. What does the tide bring. Care for some pie.

Some folks standing around and eating with their hands, look at the both of you. They clearly know the heir of the Meravanchi. One of them whispers something to the other's ear.
    Then he rises and speaks out so you can hear him.
    Oh Lads, have I told ye about the time I whipped Avner's around because he lost a game of three dragons? Ye can't trust a Meravanchi, those fellows will lay with a hag, but they never pay their gambling

Eli, Tefkros offers to buy you supper in your tavern, to what one of the busboys reacts by looking at you as if waiting for permission.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Brannick nods and follows at Aron's suggestion, walking next to the man, but slightly behind as to not raise eyebrows, and the minimal amount of deferment to his noble heritage. Brannick was of noble blood after all, and no one cared.

He smiled broadly at Cresilda, about to return a flavorful welcome, but then his eyebrows raised in surprise at the sudden provocation. He turned around, hand resting on the weapons at his belt in an obvious yet subtle move, signaling his readiness while maintaining the facade of calm.

"Ah, well met, friend," Brannick began, his voice dripping with a honeyed venom, as he addressed the loudmouth with a sly grin. "Your words, they dance like fireflies in the dusk, full of sound, yet signifying nothing. But let's indulge in your little farce, shall we?"

Taking a casual step closer, Brannick's presence commanded the silent attention of the onlookers. "You speak of dragons and debts, of hags and follies, yet here you stand, casting stones from a house of cards. Tell me, when last did you wager against fate and win, hmm? For while you jest at my ward's expense, know this - it is under his banner that I stand, a shield against the tide, a whisper in the shadow that keeps the likes of you at bay."

His smile widened, but his eyes hardened, a stark contrast to his jovial tone. "And as for laying with hags, I'd wager careful where you tread, for in this city, one man's hag is another's queen. And as for debts," he paused, letting the silence hang heavy, "well, let's just say, in the game of dragons, it's wise to know whom you're playing against. For while you jest about three dragons, remember, even a single dragon, when cornered, is more than a match for a hundred jesters."

He finished with a polite nod, turning slightly to acknowledge Aron with a respectful gesture, "Now, if you'll excuse us, the tide brings hunger, and we've pies to attend to. Good evening to you." With that, Brannick turned back to Cresilda, his dismissal of the heckler as smooth as silk, leaving the man with food for thought as surely as the pies provided sustenance.

Spoiler
    Show

Intimidate - (1d20+8)[12]
    Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A

“Take but degree away, untune that string, And, hark, what discord follows!” -Shakespeare

"I have a high art; I hurt with cruelty those who would damage me." -Archilochus

12. - Top - End - #12
    Dwarf in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Auranghzeb View Post
    Brannick and Aron.
    Eli, Tefkros offers to buy you supper in your tavern, to what one of the busboys reacts by looking at you as if waiting for permission.
    Generally staff doesn't eat until much later in the day, but it's still fairly quiet. Eli doesn't want to offend an old friend of his father's, plus he guesses that the regulars would be fascinated with Tefkros, who knows stories older than any of them.

So he shrugs at the busboy and eats — but standing up, so he can keep serving, and trading jokes, and deflecting drunken questions on whether this Lavinia would be prettier than the women at that church he's always hanging around.

"You know, the swirly one," said Jonah, one of the evening regulars, pirouetting a dainty finger in the air.

"No, the furry one," said his drinking buddy, the dwarf Luki, running his hands through his long, braided beard.

They both knew the real name, though nothing more — for that matter, even Eli didn't know much more than that — and they both knew how far they could good-naturedly push him on the subject.
    Last edited by Rilem; 2024-03-12 at 06:52 PM. Reason: Thought of Whirling Fury jokes

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

The group loses some of it's bravado. They are not really up to a fight with a Meravanchi nor with his bodyguard, they part laughing and throwing some more veiled references to the Meravanchi's reputation as sour losers.

Griselda serves you some pie and throws another smile to Brannick.

The subtropical night is fully upon you, short evenings in these latitudes.

The patrons leave the tavern in a constant drip, there's some unusual activity with the festivities coming in the next weeks, but still, fishermen have to get back to their homes and get a few hours rest before dawn.

Tefkros and Eli have supper.

Spoiler: OoC
    Show
    I know this is stalling, lets put some tempo. I truly want this adventure to work.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

Aron

Aron enjoyed the pie and beer, as the locals make comments on his family name, he feels a tension in his hand as he grasps at the hilt o the blade then relaxes as Brannick manages diffuse the situation. Leaving the pies with a nod and a blown kiss to Cressida he'll nod to Brannick, "My thanks. It would have been rude to have a scuffle over a pie. Also... I guess he's true. My brother would indeed lay with a hag if the money were right and does not pay his debts."

Looking into the night he suggests that they head home and prepare for the meeting with Lavinia the next day

15. - Top - End - #15
    Dwarf in the Playground

Flumph

Eli

Eli looks at the two regulars and shakes his head in mock sadness. ”I know the two of you are just jossin’, don’t mean nothing by it,” he begins.

”But if the Lady were to overhear you, I’d have to knock you both on your asses and throw you out, and I wouldn’t mean nothing by that, either.”

He turns back to Tefkros. ”And really they should thank me for doing it. Lady Silvermane would be a lot less gentle, I’d think. She’s got a temper — never seen it, but I know it’s there.”

“She’s Elven too, though not sure where from. She’s been in the city a lot shorter time than you, I’m sure.”

They spend the rest of the evening chatting about sailing and Eli’s father, and whether the coastline had changed any in the past few years.

Spoiler: ooc
    Show

Sorry for lack of color text; on mobile device and not seeing the buttons for that for some reason.

Am happy to post IC for trip to estate as well.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Vanderboren Manor is located in the eastern section of the Merchant District; the seven-foot-high stone wall that surrounds the estate is impossible to miss, as is the towering, gothic, three-story house that dominates the grounds within. Leering gargoyles and capering nymphs festoon the eaves of the manor's roof, and several trees give the manor grounds a nice buffer from the bustle of the city. The front gates have been left open and unguarded for you. Immediately this draws you attention, there are no visible servants, no guards, and the garden looks as if it had seen better times.

When you reach the double doors across the pink marble stoop you can admire the wealth of one of Sasserine's most powerful families, but the house itself announces the decay. Before you can knock, the same halfling that delivered the notes yesterday opens the heavy doors tugging with some trouble.

Excuse me, I was locking the dogs away, they get nervous with visitors these days. Please, follow me.

The halfling takes you into the house. Aron, you have been here before, during times of thrift, the magnificent hall that opens to the double grandstair, and the windowed wall that leads to the patio, the true mark of a noble house in Sasserine: the inner patio with exotic plants and animals. Korra, the halfling takes you to the private dinning room, a more modest room but still impressive.

The private dining hall is comfortable and cozy, softly lit by wall-mounted lanterns. A window overlooks the manor's central courtyard and the carpet is thick and soft. A large portrait hangs on the wall, a fine work depicting a handsome young man with a short beard. Aron recognizes him as Vanthus Vanderboren, looking healthier and sharper than the last time you saw him.

Lady Vanderboren will be here presently. Please, help yourselves, I left some food and beverages on the side table under the window.

Here you are, the four of you finally reunited. What do you do?
    Last edited by Auranghzeb; 2024-03-18 at 07:22 PM.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ettin in the Playground

Tefkros

Tefkros has taken care to groom and tie his hair, and he has washed and mended his clothes. He still looks ready to hunt something, but it is obvious he is here to talk business.

He knows many of the people here. Eli, he expected, and he nods his head to him. The others, he knew less. Aron ;s presence was a surprise. Straightening his archer's gloves, he offers the shady, but powerful, human a courteous greeting.

"Well met, Aron. It is good to see you again. I was not expecting to see you here. This has become an even more interesting meeting"

He also gives a slight nod to the other human accompanying Aron.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Dwarf in the Playground

Flumph

Eli

Eli sat in one of the studier-looking chairs, dressed simply with a leather vest over a tunic, an Olman-made club resting on his lap. The club, about the size of a long walking stick but considerably stouter, was perhaps the nicest thing he owned. It was of bronzewood, with four rows of riverstones cunningly inlaid lengthwise along the barrel. It had come to the tavern by way of an Amedio logger who used it to pay his tab; Eli had won it a few months ago in a barback contest.

It made for an impressive threat when confronting rowdies, but it was most often used on music nights: The bronzewood gave a sonorous thonk when struck, while the stones made for an effective rasp when scraped with a wooden stick.

Though he’d scarcely even visited the Noble District before, he’d been a bit underwhelmed by the condition of the Vanderboren Manor. “Land’s the only real wealth,” a customer once told him. “Oerth’s not getting any bigger.” It had made sense, but in this case land seemed to be all the Vanderborens had.

For a moment he considered that Lavinia might simply be looking to hire a new servant staff — but that thought was dispelled by a look at the others as they walked in. Tefkros was no gardener, nor was the gray-haired man. Eli doesn’t know Aron, but can recognize money when he sees it.

He stands and greets Tefkros as the Elf enters, and turns to the others. “I'm Eli Sarcern,” he introduces himself, smiling. Tefkros, I know -- he knows almost everyone in Sasserine, I'm sure -- but I'm happy to meet the two of you … for whatever this turns out to be.

Spoiler: ooc
    Show
    note that this assumes Aron is dressed as a noble, rather than for his role as a magic-shop owner. Seemed like a good bet, though it'd be easy to replace "magic" for "money" in the text above."
    Last edited by Rilem; 2024-03-19 at 06:21 PM.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

Aron

Garbed in a short blue top, long trousers with a shirt furred cape hanging from a shoulder her looks every inch the young Merivanchi. As he arrives and waits with Brannick. As Tefkros arrives he offers a short bow, ”Days blessing upon you Tefkros, I’ve not clapped eyes on you for a while.”

Helping himself to a glass of light beer he looks about the patio, “Good to see Lady Lavinia is doing well, I was worried her tragedy would sink such a noble house.”

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

As you are doing some small talk, the dinning room opens and an attractive human woman wearing a long, flowing blue dress, comes in, her beauty overshadowed by apparent concerns. She smiles at you.

Aron, Eli, Tefkros, and Brannick, was it? Her charm is fascinating, she walks firmly as one that understands her position but also one that has seen the world. The education of the Sasserine aristocracy only Aron fully understands. She takes her seat at the head of the table and grabs as the halfling Korra hurriedly pours her some cold white wine.

Aron, you have not seen Lavinia since she was 17 and ready to leave overseas. You were around 14.
    Tefkros, you saw her once or twice with her parents when she was barely an infant.

I made you come all the way over here, so I'll be straight and direct, as I see no other way around it. You can see the situation my family house is plainly.

As you may have heard, I recently inherited my parents estate
    She pauses to collect herself. . Along with this fine
    house. But there's also a an acrued owed to the Dawn Cou ncit, the harbormaster, and qüite a few guild hals. It seems
    for all their success and adventures they were not as skilled at finance as one might expect. In order to pay this debt, I need access to my parents patrimony at Castle Teraknian.

She puses a minute to let the information sink, and takes a sip of her wine.

And that is the problem. As you know, Aron, the gates are magically locked keyed to special isignet rings. Both of my parents had these rings, until very recently, my mother lost hers a few.months ågo. She arranged for replacehent, but be done for another fornight, too late for me. Which leaves my father's ring. He never wore it. He kept it hidden Somewhere on his ship, the Blue Nixie. The problem there is that the harbor master's seized the ship until some one paysfor the last four months of mooring. i've paid the fines to the man ther harbormaster's put in charge of my ship, a brute named Soller Vark. Yet when I went to claim my ship, Vark's me
    wouldn't let me board, claiming that I hadn't yet paid the fines. I spoke to Vark again and he denied ever receiving my payment. My complaints to the harbormaster have fallen on dead ears.

Where do you fit, and why? Well, I need to take a different approach, and I have heard you may be the ones to help me. Tolin Kentai personally recomended you Tefkros, and he mentioned the nephew of the tavernkeeper, that is you right Eli as someone who coul have the skills and interest. Then there's you Aron, I heard you are venturing in business as your own man, away from family money. I respect that, I would have loved to continue my on career as a scholar in Greyhawk, but my parents tragic demise brought me back. I also heard you and your bodyguard here understand a few things of how people like Vark operate.

Woul you help me?

Spoiler: knowledge checks Local
    Show

Spoiler: DC10
    Show
    Vrak is widely known in the low-lifes of Sasserine, a smuggler of exotic animals and substances and a man of rude manners.

Spoiler: DC15
    Show
    Someone overheard Vrak was prepraing a shipment of exotic creatures and other goods and ready to leave Sasserine

Spoiler: DC20
    Show
    It is rumored Vrak has connections with the Lotus Dragon, a dangerous organization.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Dwarf in the Playground

Flumph

Eli

Eli nearly spits in disgust as Lavinia details Vark's brazen theft, but remembers where he is. Stealing from an orphan! He thought. A rich orphan, and one beautiful enough to marry her way out of a real jam, but still. Even pirates had better scruples than that, or so the story went.

He knew what the crowd at the Lodestone would say. She was stupid to let her gold out of her sight before she got what she was paying for. But he remembered his mother after his father was lost; she could scarcely feed herself for weeks. She'd have been an easy mark, too.

"I'm sorry for your parents, Lady Vanderboren," he says. "The sea took my father last year. It's a hard thing, putting things together after. It's cruel these louts are making it harder."

He looks around at the others. "I don't know this Vark, but I've met plenty like him. A hundred faces and a hundred names, and one black heart between them. And they understand only one thing."
    Last edited by Rilem; 2024-03-22 at 09:16 PM.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ettin in the Playground

Tefkros

Even after all those years, Tefkros is sometimes taken aback by how quickly humans mature. It is easy when he sees them day by day, but when if a decade or two have passed, Tefkros gets surprised.

So it was with Lavinia. The years have treated her very kindly. The names she mentions mean little to him, though he should have known some of them. He knew Tolin, for sure. But a hunter never rushes. He takes a deep breath and tries to see if there are signs of stress or duplicity in Lavinia's stance. Without making obvious his scrutiny, Tefkros gets up and replies. This is how elves speak important business, standing up.

"Thank you, Lady, for the invitation. Excuse this hunter's bluntness, but I am an uncomplicated man. You seek for us to go into the ship, regardless of who guards it and why, and find your father's ring, whatever that takes. Am I correct? Or do you also need Soller Vark to be taught a lesson?

Also. What kind of payment are we to receive?"

With a bow, he sits down.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

Brannick nods to Aron as he complements on his crowd dissuading abilities, he smiled for a second, the thought of a street brawl playing out in his mind for a moment, shame. "Definitely, you don't fight over pie." he smirked as he besmudged his brother, but didn't say another word and merely enjoyed his pie in piece as he eyed the crowd for any retaliation, egress routes, and other potential threats.

Once at the manor, he regards the house in a silent calculating demeanor, not surprised but merely passive, he nodded to the halfling host and thanked them as he eyed the food, looking to Aron to make sure he wasn't breaking some kind of verboten protocol of the local nobility. Once done, he finds a chair in the corner, so he can watch everything unfold, keeping as close to Aron as possible, he nods in return to the hunter who entered the room as well as Eli once he introduces himself to Aron.

As Lady Lavinia walked in, Brannick almost dropped his food, and forgot himself, he was not expecting such a radiantly beautiful woman to be in his presence, he hadn't even bathed recently! He smiles at her with his most winsomeness smile, a small flirtatious wink as she sits down.

He was obviously in for the request, but officially, that would be up to his current Master Aron, but he thought he knew the answer well, and nodded at the comments being made, he had one himself, but waited for the others and leaned into Aron whispering "If the payment was official, documentation would make this easier if the anyone comes running."

Spoiler
    Show

Diplo - (1d20+5)[11]

Brannick the Bold M LN Human Suel Savant (dragon shaman)
    Level 3, Init 3, HP 23/23, Speed 20
    AC 18, Touch 13, Flat-footed 15
    Fort 4, Ref 4, Will 3
    Abilities Str 16, Dex 16, Con 13, Int 11, Wis 10, Cha 15
    Condition None
    Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

Aron

Aron looks at Brannick with a grin as Lavinia enters, although he thinks much the same. He leans in to whisper to Brannick, “A rare beauty, and if rumours are true the brains to match it.” Listening to Lavinia’s problems she nods.

“we grieved for your loss dear Lady. Now to have this indignity and brazen theft by a villain like Vark added to that insult is unacceptable. I shall help in whatever way I can. As will Brannick here.” He adds a gentle push to Brannick’s back to push him a step closer to Lavinia.

”Ive heard of Vark, he is known as a low life scum and also a peddler of exotics beasts. Some for the houses of the nobility, my own father probably included, some for the arena. So I would be not surprised if the Nixie is being used as a cover for this. One that shall we take away from him.”

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Lavinia keeps silence for a minute, nodding at your words, especially at Aron's comment about her parents death.

Tefkros, I appreciate your direct approach. I need that ring, It is my most immediate concern. But the Blue Nixie is a fine ship and part of my family wealth, I would hate to lose it to scum like Vrak. The less I know about how you got it, the better, but it would also serve my purpose if people understood that I have resources even with Tolin and the Jade Ravens running errands away from Sasserine. And yes, Aron, this involves you too. I can be blunt about it, I must blunt about it. My parents had businesses with your family, and I need to bring some of the families to fold.

She takes a small leather bag from under a fold in her garments and places it on the table.

I was saving these for a rainy day. But the wealth of the family is in the vault. Take this and you can also keep any treasure you may find on the Blue Nixie, including the money I already paid to Vrak. Once the ring is back with me, I'll see that you are properly rewarded.

Spoiler: Gems
    Show
    There's 300 gp in gems of different sizes and shapes. Roughly, you could split the value into 75gps bunches

There's some urgency in this. And a dark night like tonight's would aid any adventurers.

Aron, a word in private.

She opens the glass door to the private garden and motions Aron to follow her.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

Aron

Aron nods at the gems to Brannick, before looking out the window, "As you say m'lady. A good night for mischief, though now probably not what Brannick here and I had planned initially." As she opens the doors ad heads out to the private garden Aron follows, pausing only to refresh his glass and bringing another one for her.

As he joins her he offers her the glass, "Please Lavinia, I'm never a fan of drinking alone." As he looks around the garden he smiles, "Its a beautiful manor here. Your parents have a more restrained style than my Father. What is it that you wish from me Lavinia. I will help with the Nixie of course, even if it were not for you I would do it to stop this Vark getting above hi station."

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ettin in the Playground

Tefkros

Tefkros waits until the hostess leaves the room with Aron. He edges closer to Eli and makes a nod of inclusion towards the man Brannick. He then says in a voice close to a whisper.

"I do not know this lady very well. However, you all seem ready to believe her. You know her to be trustworthy?

I do not like to rush any hunt, of man or beast. And yet, we are asked to do this tonight. Do we have time to verify her story or will we walk into a ship rightfully seized, and then get denounced by our employer? Stranger things have happened.

Finally, it was not exactly a secret that we were summoned here, by a known associate of the Lady. Perhaps we were being shadowed here. Perhaps we will be expected, tonight.

If you all agree to do this, I will too. But I suggest we do not blindly trust the Lady. I will certainly leave here unseen. And if one of you can learn more about Soller Vark, any associates he may have or any resources he may command, that would be far better. As for me, I can keep watch on the ship until we meet to climb aboard it.

You agree?"

28. - Top - End - #28
    Dwarf in the Playground

Flumph

Eli

"Even if the if the Harbormaster was right to seize the Nixie, it makes no sense to keep the owner off if what she needs to pay the fine is on the ship," Eli replies. "My father said Keltar was too old for that job, and that was five years ago."

"Still, I suppose it's good to be wary," he continues. "A pretty face and a sad story — well, that's a recipe for trouble, isn't it? And who knows, she could be in the same line as her brother."

Eli motions to the garden where Lavinia and Aron were speaking. "Maybe the Meravanchi would have a better idea of her character. He knows her after all, and those families all make it a point to learn each other's business. I'll see if I can learn anything about Vark."
    Last edited by Rilem; 2024-03-24 at 08:24 PM.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Once outside, the tropical night brings the smells of exotic flowers. Your words are not empty, the Vanderboren's taste is truly impressive.

Lavinia accepts the glass, but doesn't drink.

You were only a kid last I saw you Aron. And I don't want to insult you pretending that you would do this work for a petty coin when your family's wealth cannot be measured. But I also know your path and your family has not been the same. You'll forgive me, but I did my due diligence before calling you in.
    You must also believe me, I understand what it is to try and become something else instead of just a noble born. If it weren't for the tragedy, I'd leave everything for Vanthus and remained at Greyhawk. My future there was bright.

If I called on you is because I trust the adventuring spirit spurs you more than simple gems.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

Brannick nods at Aron's gesture and stands to take the bag of gems, not to quick mind, just slow enough that the other folk would be ok with it. He hefts the bag as he reviews the contents with a cluck of his tongue "Oh Aye, not bad." he says quietly doing the mental math.

Hearing the others speak as Aron leaves with the lovely Lady Livinia, he nodded at the points of logic "Tefkros has the way of it, but I trust Master Aron with my life, not only his coin. If he trusts this Lady, " he nods to them as they walk off "Which I'm thinkin he does right now, and she just dumped a bunch of gems for our pay, I don't think this is a scam." he says pointedly "You lot should join us and see." he says with a grin.

Spoiler
    Show

Brannick the Bold M LN Human Suel Savant (dragon shaman)
    Level 3, Init 3, HP 23/23, Speed 20
    AC 18, Touch 13, Flat-footed 15
    Fort 4, Ref 4, Will 3
    Abilities Str 16, Dex 16, Con 13, Int 11, Wis 10, Cha 15
    Condition None
    Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A