a long while ago when i first joined i posted my idea for the Grab Bag of Madness, a homebrew item that was essentially a list of tables of items that were of variable use, from epic super gear to monsters to electronics appliances to magic items that you would have to really work at to get any use out of, etc. (link to the original: https://forums.giantitp.com/showthre...7#post23161247 )

but recently I've been thinking about re-making the bag to be less "Lol so random" in energy and a bit more applicable, generally, as well as re-brand it as an ominous thing linked more to the forces of chaos, an ancient thing, a wretched and wonderful thing. The Grab Bag of Chaos, or the Pale Blooded Bag (this idea came around when i was planning to restructure it around a Bloodborne game). TO THIS END, i would like some feedback on the planned changes. suggestions on mechanics is welcomed.

here's the planned alterations:
First i plan on reducing the number of items per list from 100 to about 20 or so, so that the finished list can fit inside a spiral bound notebook that's 6" by 10", since i have that specifically lying around the house; but more importantly so it can be arranged into themes or categories. these would be loose categories, mind, not strictly what all could be on there. you might still get a clam shell bra or a toaster, but generally when you roll on a list you will also know you got the list themed around disease, parasites and parasitic symbiotes. This serves the purpose of hedging character expectations during dice rolls, and allowing players attuned to the Bag to intentionally pull from lists they specifically want to. it's long been a goal of mine that if a player really likes a specific item on the GBoM that they can improve their chance to pull out that item in particular. the problem is that the lists were truly random (and untitled) so players had to just say which item they wanted specifically and make a roll to see if they just GET that item. the DC was high for balancing purposes and it was always a bit of a pain, frankly, and carried the chance of disappointment. by making the lists themed and titled, I can ensure the players still have to roll on that table specifically and might get something else, but by attuning to the bag they have a more consistent chance to get a specific thing. it reduces the chances from 100% OR .0001% to a chance of 1 in 10 or 20. the attunement would only be required for pulling from specific lists though, meaning any member of the group could still use the bag without attuning.
The next change was to when a player could pull from the bag, specifically making it require a sacrifice of at least 5 pounds of organic matter or something of material value. it never gets "full" and is always able to be pulled from, but failing to "feed" the bag results in it biting the person reaching in for some minor damage. this is to make sure that if the players want to consistently use the bag they have to either sacrifice a ration or something, or they need to get into a combat encounter. at the very least the local wildlife population needs to be prepared to run away from the party. i was debating on whether or not to allow the players to store charges by regularly feeding the bag, up to a set number. on one hand it's relatively harmless, so the players don't have to constantly carry extra food/carcasses/valuables, but i could also see it being slightly abusable.
finally a minor change was to make it a sickly horror rather than a simple mundane bag. it would be an octopus like creature whose tentacles cling to the bag bearer, with clammy, unhealthy looking flesh, a multitude of eyes, mostly human but mixed in are some animal kinds, many looking cloudy or cataract. the opening is a sphincter like maw lined with teeth, tooth like shearing plates, or a four part scissoring beak. i feel that this appearance telegraphs that this is no mere trinket, but an unholy thing, something that is to be regarded cautiously by the brave and abhorred by good decent common folk. it may be coerced by one who attunes to it to disguise itself as a simple bag, but those who know will be able to see through the disguise.

that's all the changes i have planned, i know i plan to categorize the lists by themes such as parasites, healing, epic gear, madness (for a nod to the original), disease, filth, friendly creatures, unfriendly creatures, etc. but i don't have a definitive list of categories yet. please let me know what you think about this project!