New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

Zombie

Default Libris Mortis vampire spawn class

I'm starting the game as a vampire spawn monster class from Libris Mortis. Everyone gets starting ability scores of 2 20s 2 16s and 2 14s. I get unholy toughness so hp won't be a problem. What should I do after level 8. Available books are PHB, DMG, LM, CA, RoS, LoM, ToB, CW, MIC, and SpC

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Libris Mortis vampire spawn class

No HoH means no infinite healing probably, which is unfortunate. Look for things to maximize your turn resistance.

Worth noting you may not have to stick it out for the full 8 levels, depending on how your DM reads this:

Quote Originally Posted by Libris Mortis
    When a living character becomes one of these forms of undead—for instance, a dwarf fighter slain by a vampire’s energy drain attack who rises as a vampire spawn 1d4 days later—he loses one class level, much as if he had died and been raised. If the character has only one class level, he loses that class level and all features thereof. He then gains one level of the appropriate undead class. Effectively, the undead class level replaces another class level.

If the character has no class levels, he simply gains one level of the appropriate undead class and may multiclass freely between that undead class and normal class levels.

Examples: A 5th-level dwarf fighter is slain by a vampire’s energy drain attack. A few days after burial, he rises as a dwarf 4th-level fighter/1st-level vampire spawn. A gnoll with no class levels slain by the same vampire rises as a gnoll 1st-level vampire spawn.
    All work I do is CC-BY-SA. Copy it wherever you want as long as you credit me.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Pixie in the Playground

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by Just to Browse View Post
    No HoH means no infinite healing probably, which is unfortunate. Look for things to maximize your turn resistance.

Worth noting you may not have to stick it out for the full 8 levels, depending on how your DM reads this:
    I want the dominate and negative level attacks so I want to get to 8th level of the class ASAP. Also fast healing takes care of out of combat healing. I just don't know what to do after that
    Last edited by titaniumskittle; 2024-05-20 at 10:26 AM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, one thing you want is the ability to heal damage while in your gaseous form. This will make it extremely hard for you to be killed/destroyed through just normal damage.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Are you being forced to start with vampire spawn? since this is a template class you are better off starting with a normal base class, getting the very basics of what you want from it and then going straigth into vampire spawn.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Pixie in the Playground

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by holbita View Post
    Are you being forced to start with vampire spawn? Since this is a template class you are better off starting with a normal base class, getting the very basics of what you want from it and then going straight into vampire spawn.
    As Just to Browse already quoted, if they start with the Vampire Spawn they can multiclass freely between the spawn and any other class which doesn't explicitly mean they need to take a class level first in order to get the base class abilities (or, to be more precise for backstory’s sake, they don't need to be a 2nd level character that died and got turned into a vampire spawn).

If your DM is not against you multiclassing before finishing the monster class, depending on what you want to do it may be beneficial for you to get at least one class level in anything, really - my own pick would be a barbarian, seeing as an undead you are not able to get fatigued or exhausted after ending a rage.

In general, all classes that give a rage-equivalent effect (for example Barbarian or Dervish) are great for that reason alone for the Spawn. Getting as many attacks as you can with your slam, especially after you get the energy drain effect, can be a powerful tool. Ask your DM if they allow alternative class features from Unearthed Arcana - if yes, the Whirling Frenzy Rage alternative would give you an additional attack, which would be another potential negative level on your enemy. If not, then take 4 Barbarian levels and enter the Frenzied Berserker from CW - you get both an additional attack AND extra damage from power attack - although in order to meet the feat requirements, you would either need to take one level or barbarian before finishing the monster class for that to work, as you will get only one feat through leveling up as a barbarian, and you need two prerequisite feats for FB that require you to have the rage ability, to be exact Destructive Rage and Intimidating Rage, or you will need to take an additional level of barbarian in order to get yourself to 9 HD so you get another feat.

Alternatively, if you don't want to play an undead pile of muscles, may I suggest you the Swordsage - once again, for additional attacks. Tiger Claw and Desert Wind schools are your best friend here, with maneuvers like Flashing Sun and Dancing Mongoose.