New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

Default (3.5 IC) End of Fate (B)

You're in a fog you can see what's happening outside of you. Your body is running deep into the woods as the sky darkens. You no longer in control of your body. See as the sky turns dark but the wraith doesn't show any signs of leaving your body. You know your getting further and further away from the village and your chances of survival are dwindling at a rapid pace. (What do you do?)

Spoiler: Threads
    Show
    Last edited by Forsaken; 2024-03-08 at 04:50 PM.
    Spoiler: Avatar’s picture
    Show

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: (3.5 IC) End of Fate (B)

Eria headed after Maynard, keeping enough of a distance that the wraith wouldn't feel menaced, and doing her best to stay out of sight initially. As darkness set in, and the agreed upon time for the wraith to possess Maynard, Eria moved up closer and called out. "That's quite far enough, wraith. Stick to the deal. Leave Maynard and go your own way."
    Jasnah avatar by Zea Mays

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Until the agreed upon time passes, Maynard simply waits, wondering what the outcome will be.

Once it passes, Maynard starts trying to feel what he can and can't do, can he struggle for control? Can the demon hear his thoughts? At first he tries thinking hard to see if the demon responds
    Ah, so you chose to take the risk of deal-breaking, you gain a body and hostage but they're more likely to chase you and seek revenge; and at this point they'd see no reason not to just kill you, since I'm lost anyways.

If the demon doesn't respond after a few minutes, Maynard will try the same statements by speaking; perhaps the demon can hear it if he mentally tries to take the act of 'speaking' even when he's not in control of the body, if it cannot hear the act of merely thinking in general.
    Last edited by zlefin; 2024-03-08 at 10:51 AM.
    A neat custom class for 3.5 system
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=94616

A good set of benchmarks for PF/3.5
    https://rpgwillikers.wordpress.com/2...y-the-numbers/

An alternate craft point system I made for 3.5
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...t-Point-system

4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground

Spoiler: Maynard OOC
    Show

Maynard can struggle for control DC 25 Will. This is a mind altering effect so I believe you have a bonus to save. You can also talk to the wraith via mind and or mouth your choice.

In response to Maynards They slew my horde. You should feel honored to being the first to rejoin it. Those pathetic people wont come for you. You are not their kin or family. I made a mistake before trying to capture that girl. But you they already know your dead. You cant possibly survive the night anyway. Give up hope your body mind and soul are mine now. He chuckles using your own mouth to talk proving his point.

Then pausing upon hearing Eria's statement. Oh look someone came to rescue you. What a foolish little girl. Another sacrifice to my horde. Oh you have my thanks The dry raspy voice cackles in delight upon seeing extra prey as it starts to move towards Eria using Maynards body as a shield.

(What do you do?)
    Show

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Maynard replies mentally to the fiend (as far as he knows it's a fiend, but he hasn't really bothered to figure out anyways)

You should well know people sometimes take revenge for comrades or their own personal reasons, and the captain would still love to kill you. Your spiel is rather boring, you seem less intelligent than I gave you credit for, just give up hope? Why would I just give up hope rather than fight?

Maynard will then fight to try to take control, but won't quite manage to.

Then he thinks to the fiend again
    If I manage to interfere at an inopportune moment I could still get you in serious trouble.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

Eria quietly moved into deeper shadows. It had gotten dark enough that the magic of her ring should have activated, but she couldn't rule out the wraith somehow being able to sense her. If so, she'd need to know before engaging with the monster.

Spoiler: ooc: sneaky rolls
    Show

Move silent: (1d20+11)[29]
    Hide(does not include +20 from invis): (1d20+11)[25]

7. - Top - End - #7
    Orc in the Playground

The fiend lunges at Eria's position clearly not fazed by the dark but abruptly stops at Maynards attempt of control hindered its actions. Boy just give in. Let the sweet embrace of death comfort you. I've been told its very relaxing. Don't keep trying to fight me. It's pointless. You're too weak. It says to you a slight strain in its voice. Clearly still very injured from its battle with Gerald. It doesn't have as much strength as it would at full power.

(Due to Maynards interference its turn in combat was interrupted combat is officially started. No need for Init rolls. Everyone up)
    Show

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Seeing that the fiend is attacking something Maynard decides now is the time to try for whatever he can so he struggles more to try to regain control. He is not able to manage it though, his will remains, but the fiend is powerful and trying to force it out is very hard.

He continues to talk to the fiend.
    I doubt anyone actually told you its very relaxing, and your speech remains uninspired and bland. I really expected more cunning from your words than that, you may be powerful, but you're still quite stupid as well. I don't think you even realized the possibility other demons or undead might've attacked you due to suspicion of our aura, and I doubt you even sense auras at all.
    Last edited by zlefin; 2024-03-14 at 10:14 AM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

The wraith still being able to track her posed a problem for Eria. She wasn't quite ready to give up on Maynard yet, but she was also rapidly running out of options. She tried changing to her spider form, but the stress of the situation meant she couldn't concentrate hard enough to make the change quickly, and she let the attempt go, for now. Instead she backed away, trying to keep as many obstacles and as much distance as possible between her and the wraith.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Orc in the Playground

Maynards words make it pause briefly before a sinister scowl dones his face as he charges towards the woman trying to aid him. Getting closer Eria is able to see Maynards eyes one crazed while the other seemingly struggling for control. He is getting closer to you. Even with the distance you are trying to put in between you two he is closing it.

(He is moving faster than a normal persons movement speed. At the determent of Maynards body.)

You should have just ran away when you had the chance. Little girl you are unable to save this boy A ghostly red face materializes over Maynard's with a wicked grin staring you down. Clearly it knows where you are and you feel like you cant escape it. Boy if you stop fighting for control I'll let the girl live and freely go. How about it. This is just like our last deal he finishes saying with a cackle.

(everyone is up and what do you do?)

Spoiler: Maynard
    Show

Due to it materializing and maynard fighting its control it says materialized for this many rounds.
    (1d4+1)[4]
    Last edited by Forsaken; 2024-03-19 at 07:40 AM.
    Show

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

Eria's body finally stopped resisting her, and she assumed her spider form. She quickly dashed up a nearby tree, letting out a pained screech as the monster landed a solid blow on her body as she broke away again. Yet she considered it a worthwhile trade. The monster would have a difficult time following her up, at least as long as it used Maynard's body.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

Maynard continues struggling to regain control, and just barely manages to, still struggling with it and exhausted from the effort.

He think to the demon -
    Just like our last deal, meaning you won't hold to it. That's an offer I can refuse very easily.
    Last edited by zlefin; 2024-03-21 at 04:01 PM.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Orc in the Playground

Maynard will repels the monster out revealing his true form. An 8-foot-tall red apparition appears. Its body heavily damaged missing an entire arm with deep slashes on its spectral form. Clearly the Gerald inflicted a lot of damage on it. AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH you you disgusting creatures! Clearly enraged about losing his shield. Your not worth my time. Ill find better prey. You wont end up surviving the night anyways hahaha Clearly slightly pleased with that thought he turns away and starts to escape no longer interested in trying to fight you two.

(He moves 60 feet away)

(What do you choose to do?)
    Show

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

Maynard draws his blade and looks up at his ally while slowly backing away from the fiend and assessing the situation.

Are you ok enough? I'm thinking withdraw rather than try to finish off the thing. It may be weak, but we've little backup, trying to reach town seems like a better bet.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Troll in the Playground

"I'm fine enough, let's get out of here!" Eria replied. Or tried to reply anyway. Her mandibles in spider form were not made for human speech, so what came out was something like "Skree-kree. Skreeee!" She accompanied the screech with a gesture from one of her forelegs, away from the retreating wraith.
    Last edited by DeTess; 2024-03-25 at 06:41 AM.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Orc in the Playground

Letting the red phantom escape to retreat you begin heading out of the forest the sky darkening further you soon realize that the night is about to be fully on you but your still a few hours away from the village.

(What shall you do?)
    Show

17. - Top - End - #17
    Troll in the Playground

"Talk about being between a rock and a hard place." Eria sighed, then looked over at Maynard. She'd turned back to her human form sometime during their walk. "Still think our odds are better keeping going than trying to bunker down though." She rummaged through her pockets, then offered Maynard a bottle. "Potion of invisibility. I picked it up after the battle in the cave. Don't know how long it'll last, but it might allow you to get out of an ambush once." She looked ahead again. "Once true darkness sets in I'll range ahead, try to get you advance warning of any monsters. I'll do that in spider form though, so won't be able to talk much. If a spider suddenly comes rushing at you and starts gesturing at you, just follow it, okay?" She sighed. She honestly didn't like their odds of both getting back. She'd hoped the noisy way he had moved around while possessed was a consequence of the wraith's possession, but the man clearly had little practice with moving quietly. "Unless you have a better idea?"

Spoiler: Maneuvers prepared
    Show

adaptive style to reset maneuvers

maneuvers prepared
    counter charge
    mighty throw
    shadow jaunt
    cloak of deception
    sudden leap

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

Maynard looks at his companion grimly and nods. He will then resume hustling as best he can.

Understood and will do. I've no better idea. If we get overwhelmed by some foes then I'll try to cover your escape, as you've a better chance of running than I do.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Orc in the Playground

Eria leading the way forward navigating the terrain while guiding Maynard heads back towards the town. An hour passes as the undead and demons seem to start materializing more and more. The roars and groans fill the night. Silence is long gone as you hear monsters all around you. Eria quickly realizing that now its almost impossible to go forward without running into anymore. Now it's time to make a decision.

Go past a giant smashing a tree into a glowing blue rock leaving glowing gems lying all along the ground. Or go past an old decrepit umbrella resting along a tree. A pack of undead roaming the woods (7 of them) or lasting a try to transverse a marsh with bubbles foaming out of the muck.

(Which course of action do you chose? OOC answers can be accepted.)
    Show

20. - Top - End - #20
    Troll in the Playground

Eria spent a moment trying to determine which route to take. The woods were right out. Maynard would likely have too much trouble evading a pack of undead. The swamp was out too. If anything was lurking in there it would prove troublesome to escape.

That left the route past that giant or... Whatever was going on with that umbrella. The giant was occupied, so sneaking past was a real option. But if it did spot them it would be a lot of trouble. The other option was a seemingly safe path past a tree. But the seemingly discarded umbrella gave her a bad feeling.

She considered for a moment more, then headed back to Maynard. She gestured for him to follow her, and mimed being very quiet, before leading them down the path that would take them past the umbrella.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Orc in the Playground

With a loud and audible Shiiisssshhhh A tendril arm pulls out a blade in the umbrella and strikes at Maynard with lighting speed. You see a blood red eye poking through the tears in the umbrella. Indicating the umbrella is a cursed object. The loud noise was enough for Maynard to dodge its powerful swings. That left small craters in the ground as it does an eerie laugh.

heheheheheehehehehehehehehehehehe

(Roll for init ooc)
    Show

22. - Top - End - #22
    Troll in the Playground

Eria never even considered standing and fighting against a monster capable of leaving craters in the ground with its strikes. Yet she knew Maynard would have a lot of trouble escaping if this monster could see through the invisibility potion's magic. She only felt torn for a moment, and then leapt into action.

She shrouded herself in shadows, then spun strands of web which she launched at the monster, tying it down. Then she broke away, using every trick she new to make it more difficult for the creature to track where she'd gone.

Spoiler: OOC: actions
    Show

swift action: cloak of deception to become invisible as per greater invisibility until the end of my turn.
    standard action: fine web ability at the monster to pin it in place.
    move action: move 30 feet away from the monster, keeping cover between me and it if possible to ensure it won't see where I ended up when the invis runs out at the end of my turn.
    Last edited by DeTess; 2024-03-28 at 01:49 AM.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Orc in the Playground

Erias web only hindering it slightly it breaks through. The razor-sharp web cut the fabric slightly but wasn't enough to hold it back as it tries to strikes towards Maynard. Its first strike failing due to being restricted. Causing another small crater from its blade. As the webs fall to the ground it fully able to function once more.

(Everyone up)
    Last edited by Forsaken; 2024-03-29 at 03:26 AM.
    Show

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

Maynard will cautiously back away from the demon trying to make some distance to enable fleeing. [withdraw action to move 60']

25. - Top - End - #25
    Troll in the Playground

Maynard was backing away, but it did not look like it would be enough yet. Eria hesitated for a moment, then moved closer again, launching another web at the creature to keep it in place just a little longer.

Spoiler: OOC: actions
    Show

Move: close till I'm just within range to web
    Action: shoot web at the demon
    Swift action: sudden leap to back off again: (1d20+10)[15] (jump distance is half of the roll result)

26. - Top - End - #26
    Orc in the Playground

Erias web held true. The demonic umbrella unable to move gets further damaged as you start to retreat. It being unable to follow you lets you escape for now.

(everyone up)
    Show

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

Maynard will keep withdrawing trying to put distance between them and the demon, while keeping an eye out in case other foes are lurking or came to the sound of battle.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Troll in the Playground

Eria dashed away from the stuck demon as fast as her eight legs could carry her, following in Maynard's trail.
    Last edited by DeTess; 2024-03-31 at 10:45 AM.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Orc in the Playground

Before successfully escaping you see the umbrella fall over the webs fully entangling it. As it further gets damaged. A groaning noise coming from the umbrella due to the strain as the eyeball looks worriedly towards you.

Maynards alertness tells him that they are enemies around you but for some reason they are keeping they're distance. You can successfully escape the umbrella demon. The way to town seems to be gathering more monsters and beasts. You remember that monsters attack the village at night, and it also gathers larger numbers of monsters. You're heading straight for the enemy.

(What shall you do?)
    Show

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

Maynard will keep hustling, and once out of range of the umbrella demon (or if it starts breaking free) will take out and drink the invisibility potion while quietly informing his companion.

Whew, that was dangerously close, and it seems we've got more foes coming near, not sure why they aren't attacking. I'm going to try out that invisibility potion, hopefully at least it lasts long enuogh to sneak past the foes near us. Just keep moving at the same pace we've been at and I'll follow as best I can.