New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

DrowGirl

Default 10 minute barbarian rage is completely incoherent

Yes, I know this was a popular change in One, and it's easy to see why on a mechanical level. Barbs drop rage too easily and too randomly and the class *is* the amount of time spent in rage, so it's given a much longer duration and the ability to prolong it even out of combat.

But I hate this. Up to 10 minutes in a rage, when not even fighting?? What the heck is this ability? How am I supposed to imagine what this looks like? Imagine a party climbs a wall (str), sneaks passed some guards (dex), gets made by a guard and bribes him (cha), and then finally the barb lifts a heavy gate (str). That whole time, the barb is just stewing in the back, grinding their teeth for 10 minutes, maximizing the rage duration and hoping for another str roll.

If the ability isn't RAGE then don't call it RAGE.

Now I know this is a little out of the box, but just a thought, just a little spitballing, what if
    - rage last for 1 minute
    - rage doesn't end unless the barb starts a turn at 0 (or they end it voluntarily)
    - BARB GETS SOME DARN ABILITIES THAT AREN'T BASED ON RAGE

Ok I'm raging about this. But it wasn't for 10 minutes; that would be crazy.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: 10 minute barbarian rage is completely incoherent

Quote Originally Posted by Skrum View Post

This is madness!
    Roll for it
    5e Houserules and Homebrew
    Old Extended Signature
    Awesome avatar by Ceika

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

I just wish they'd gone back to rounds for Rage. Multiply their current rage by 10, that's how many rounds a LR you have. Initiate a Rage with a BA, it goes as long as you need (3 or 4 rounds I guess is typical) and then it stops. No wasting 6 or 7 rounds on one of your precious 2 Rages for nothing. No need to constantly seethe for 10 minutes.

If you have 20 rounds of Rage, its less concerning blowing 1 of them to Rage, lift a gate with advantage and the immediately calm down.

You can spring traps with your face. You can dwarf toss your friends across the 20' chasm (is that racist? I think it's racist...) Also removes the weird skill beats that were used to justify the 10 minutes.

IDK what WotC was thinking, but they went in the complete opposite direction of what the class needed.
    Trollbait extraordinaire

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Kane0 View Post
    This is madness!
    "Madness? THIS IS SPARTA!"

(Sorry, I couldn't resist)

Quote Originally Posted by Theodoxus View Post
    I just wish they'd gone back to rounds for Rage. Multiply their current rage by 10, that's how many rounds a LR you have. Initiate a Rage with a BA, it goes as long as you need (3 or 4 rounds I guess is typical) and then it stops. No wasting 6 or 7 rounds on one of your precious 2 Rages for nothing. No need to constantly seethe for 10 minutes.

If you have 20 rounds of Rage, its less concerning blowing 1 of them to Rage, lift a gate with advantage and the immediately calm down.

You can spring traps with your face. You can dwarf toss your friends across the 20' chasm (is that racist? I think it's racist...) Also removes the weird skill beats that were used to justify the 10 minutes.

IDK what WotC was thinking, but they went in the complete opposite direction of what the class needed.
    Too much of micromanagement. Just make one use of Rage last until the end of the encounter, as in 4th edition.

The 3.0/3.5 way to calculate rage rounds was too damn fiddly. I mean, you could rage a number of times per DAY and each time you did, it would last 4 rounds + your newly modifier constitution modifier (let's say from 14 to 18, so a "whopping" 8 rounds in total (12 seconds short of 1 minute), and after that you took a nasty penalty to your strength and dexterity until the end of the whole encounter. At some point it's really possible that you run out of rage and the fight still rages on (been there, done that, several times; never fun)
    Last edited by Arkhios; 2024-03-08 at 07:04 AM.
    Please be mindful of what you say in public; sadly not all can handle sarcasm or The Internet Credibility.
    My Homebrew:
    Base Class: Warlord | Roguish Archetype: Inquisitor | Roguish Archetype: Thug | Primal Path: Rage Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Anon von Zilch View Post
    Words actually mean things, people!

Ongoing game & character:
    Sajan Uttam, human Monk 6/Fist of Irori 3 (Legacy of Fire)

D&D/Pathfinder CV of sorts
    3.0 since 2002
    3.5 since 2003
    4e since 2008
    Pathfinder 1e since 2008
    5e since 2014

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

You can spring traps with your face. You can dwarf toss your friends across the 20' chasm (is that racist? I think it's racist...)
    It's alright as long as you don't tell the elf.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Arkhios View Post
    Too much of micromanagement. Just make one use of Rage last until the end of the encounter, as in 4th edition.
    How does that change anything though? That's just rolling Persistent Rage into the base mechanic.
    Trollbait extraordinaire

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

How does that change anything though? That's just rolling Persistent Rage into the base mechanic.
    It removes the need to do micromanagement (as in, keeping track of rounds/minutes/hourglass turns/whatever you do to keep track of rage, until your rage ends). If your rage simply ends when the fight is over, I'd say that's a positive change.

Also, yes. And that wouldn't break anything. Persistent Rage is a boring improvement on rage to be honest.

I do agree, that Rage should be combat feature alone. Barbarians should get more non-rage related features that are usable outside combat.
    Last edited by Arkhios; 2024-03-08 at 07:13 AM.
    Please be mindful of what you say in public; sadly not all can handle sarcasm or The Internet Credibility.
    My Homebrew:
    Base Class: Warlord | Roguish Archetype: Inquisitor | Roguish Archetype: Thug | Primal Path: Rage Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Anon von Zilch View Post
    Words actually mean things, people!

Ongoing game & character:
    Sajan Uttam, human Monk 6/Fist of Irori 3 (Legacy of Fire)

D&D/Pathfinder CV of sorts
    3.0 since 2002
    3.5 since 2003
    4e since 2008
    Pathfinder 1e since 2008
    5e since 2014

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

I don't disagree that Barbs need more OOC stuff. But I do think they also need more Rage.

How's this: Give Barbarians a choice at first level.

Rage of the Seas: Your Rage is mercurial and comes and goes like the tide. You get a number of rounds to Rage equal to 10 times your proficiency bonus. These rounds don't need to be consecutive, but it does require a Bonus Action to initiate, but not maintain. The rounds of Rage refreshes on a Long Rest.

Rage of the Beasts: Your Rage is slow burning and on a hair trigger. You get a number of Rages equal to your proficiency bonus. Each Rage requires a Bonus Action to activate, and lasts for a maximum of one minute, though may be canceled at any time. Your Rages refresh on a Short or Long Rest.

Best of both worlds, granting a specific player the way they'd prefer.
    Last edited by Theodoxus; 2024-03-08 at 07:25 AM.
    Trollbait extraordinaire

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

How is someone being angry for a long time impossible?

10. - Top - End - #10
    Firbolg in the Playground

IMO any player option who's core identity is directly tied to a set duration is going to be a mess. DND hasn't handled time well since 2e.

You could probably map 90% of the issues with 5e back to this.
    what is the point of living if you can't deadlift?

All credit to the amazing avatar goes to thoroughlyS

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

Rages based on proficiency bonus would make dipping barbarian basically always better than just being a barbarian... which it already is but fanning those flames should not be desirable.

I do think that barbarians should get non-combat non-rage features, but at the same time, that's a different discussion. Barbarians also need combat features both that depend on rage and those that don't. And I don't mind allowing rage to be used out of combat for non-combat but still thematically appropriate things. But then it should be thematically appropriate for their subclass. I can easily see a beast or totem barbarian benefiting from rage when using the survival skill for example. (I'm not convinced granting them a blanket switch to strength is the right answer, maybe just the rage damage bonus on the skill check?)

However, on topic. Rage that lasts 10 minutes. 10 minutes is pretty long, for a level 1 barbarian. A level 20 barbarian? They can rage all day if they want IMO. I don't think that persistent rage is a decent feature though, instead I'd set it to level x minutes. At level 1 you can keep your rage up for 1 minute, at level 5 you can keep it going for 5 minutes and so on. What I think persistent rage should do is that it doesn't end when you're incapacitated, rather when you're dead. IE if you sleep a high level barbarian they maintain rage at sleep. They're just that angry. Does it make sense? No if you think a barbarian is just an angry guy at the gym. But I think a barbarian is essentially a super hero.

I don't think rage should end just because the encounter ends either, if you have two encounters close to each other it would feel bad to use another rage. Or maybe barbarians should just get more rages? I like the idea of recovering one on a short rest.
    Black text is for sarcasm, also sincerity. You'll just have to read between the lines and infer from context like an animal

12. - Top - End - #12

This is one of those cases that it really should be 'DM decides when Rage ends. A couple of minutes of unbroken peace is usually necessary for a Barbarian to calm down.'

We argue about skill DCs being DM fiat, combined with the overreaching randomness of a d20, yet for something that actually would be quite varied and prone to chaos IT is given hard codified rules.
    Last edited by Aimeryan; 2024-03-08 at 08:29 AM.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

I mean, it just feels like Hulk rage to me, which is what I think is what the changes are going for.

The barbarian hits the anger point, and they become more animal and primal, as well as angry. Stalking through the woods, see that guard on the edge of town, but they aren't the one you want to sink that hate into, so you clamber over the wall like a big ass cat and go to sniff out that villain that has been buggin you for the last week it seems.

I don't know about you, but 10 minutes feels pretty short for how long a person can be and stay angry.
    My sig is something witty.

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Ten minutes of rage seems very reasonable to me... but I've also worked public service, and have had toddlers.
    Last edited by LibraryOgre; 2024-03-08 at 11:12 AM.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by LibraryOgre View Post
    Ten minutes of rage seems very reasonable to me... but I've also worked public service, and have had toddlers.
    I was remembering junior high, but that works too.
    My sig is something witty.

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

16. - Top - End - #16

Quote Originally Posted by Skrum View Post
    Yes, I know this was a popular change in One, and it's easy to see why on a mechanical level. Barbs drop rage too easily and too randomly and the class *is* the amount of time spent in rage, so it's given a much longer duration and the ability to prolong it even out of combat.

But I hate this. Up to 10 minutes in a rage, when not even fighting?? What the heck is this ability? How am I supposed to imagine what this looks like? Imagine a party climbs a wall (str), sneaks passed some guards (dex), gets made by a guard and bribes him (cha), and then finally the barb lifts a heavy gate (str). That whole time, the barb is just stewing in the back, grinding their teeth for 10 minutes, maximizing the rage duration and hoping for another str roll.

If the ability isn't RAGE then don't call it RAGE.

Now I know this is a little out of the box, but just a thought, just a little spitballing, what if
    - rage last for 1 minute
    - rage doesn't end unless the barb starts a turn at 0 (or they end it voluntarily)

Completely agreed. It's super goofy.

I think over time it simply won't be Rage anymore, and this is the first step in that direction.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

I don't picture it like a seething rage, more like an adrenaline induced destructive anger. And that's something that is pretty hard to maintain - and especially hard on your body to keep running. (Though yes, I recognize the super-human aspect of the Barbarian class - so I'm ok with looking at the whole differently.)
    Trollbait extraordinaire

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

In 2e when they introduced the Berserker kit the rules for going berserk were that they had to spend 10 rounds trying to psych themselves up and during that time "the character is growling, moaning, uttering imprecations". If no enemies were in sight they could then hold the berserk for a time. So oddly enough stewing in the back for 10min is actually going back to it's roots.

My preference for allowing rage out of combat is to allow a Barbarian to enter a rage as a reaction when there's a strength check similar to how the new reaction guidance spell.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Barbarian in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

"That's my secret, Cap. I'm always angry."

Banner doesn't seem angry most of the time, but he says he is, so he has that rage going non-stop. And back during that time, he would turn back to Banner if he tamped it down enough, but he spent substantially longer than 10 minutes in Hulk form in Avengers. And he wasn't constantly fighting - there would have been more than enough time to fall out if he had to be fighting when he found Loki and called him a puny god.

I just don't see a 10-minute rage as being unlikely or unprecedented, in real life or fictional characters.
    Campaigning in my home brewed world for the since spring of 2020 - started a campaign journal to keep track of what is going on a few levels in. It starts here: https://www.worldanvil.com/w/the-ter...report-article

Created an interactive character sheet for sidekicks on Google Sheets - automatic calculations, drop down menus for sidekick type, hopefully everything necessary to run a sidekick: https://tinyurl.com/y6rnyuyc

20. - Top - End - #20
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LibraryOgre View Post
    Yeah, Talk Radio and 4Chan have conclusively demonstrated that it is quite possible to be angry, and inspire anger in others, for a much greater duration than a mere 10 minutes.

If one trains to perfect anger, one can reach Olympian-like levels in terms of getting and maintaining a chip on one’s shoulder….see Darth Vader, (it’s always Obi-Wan fault, or The Emperor’s fault, or Yoda’s..etc, etc

Mechanically, the change is a huge quality of life adjustment for the Barbarian class.
    Last edited by Blatant Beast; 2024-03-08 at 11:59 AM.

21. - Top - End - #21

The new Champion fighter gets Advantage on Strength checks as a passive feature.

Seems weird to be missing on the barbarian and the barbarian has to use a resource to gain it.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Samurai View Post
    The new Champion fighter gets Advantage on Strength checks as a passive feature.

Seems weird to be missing on the barbarian and the barbarian has to use a resource to gain it.
    See, I'd just make rage a feature of a fighter subclass, rather than the center of a whole class.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Orc in the Playground

Captain America vs the Hulk.

Logen Ninefingers, is a great example of a literary Beserker. Logen is a strong, and a cunning tactician and strategist in everyday life.. Logen, then becomes a nigh mindless, engine of destruction when he channels the Bloody Nine.

If you want to play a Power Lifter, play a Champion. If you want to play a Hell’s Angels Biker from Altamonte Speedway, (aka a scarily dangerous dude),…go with the Barb. When push comes to shove, Advantage is there for the taking for either class.

This seems fine to me.
    Last edited by Blatant Beast; 2024-03-08 at 12:01 PM.

24. - Top - End - #24

But I think to the OP's point though... what is Rage supposed to look like? Because Vader's anger is purely rhetorical. We're just told that his power is fueled by anger, but he's actually quite calm and collected throughout the original trilogy. He doesn't portray "anger" or "rage" at all.

(Okay, I'm at work and my posts are going through a bit weird. Sorry, I should start quoting people because I'm coming in out of order lol.)

25. - Top - End - #25
    Orc in the Playground

That seems a question for the player to answer.
    It is a great starting point, however, what does burning rage look like?
    An actor would start there, when finding a performance.

The answers, of course, will differ based off the player.

Honestly, a person that appear calm on the outside, but is seething with rage and the desire to inflict pain for perceived slights..is scary…especially when the full depths of their hatred and power comes to the fore.

Force Choking you wife, slicing up Trade Representatives for your yellow eye, Shabiri grape fix, and taking your son’s hand for talking back to you all seem to be questionable, rage motivated actions that would not fly in most jurisdictions, (might be ok in Mississippi). 😇
    Last edited by Blatant Beast; 2024-03-08 at 12:09 PM.

26. - Top - End - #26

"taking your son's hand for talking back to you" might be the funniest description of that scene I've ever read lol.

27. - Top - End - #27

RedWizardGuy

But I think to the OP's point though... what is Rage supposed to look like? Because Vader's anger is purely rhetorical. We're just told that his power is fueled by anger, but he's actually quite calm and collected throughout the original trilogy. He doesn't portray "anger" or "rage" at all.

(Okay, I'm at work and my posts are going through a bit weird. Sorry, I should start quoting people because I'm coming in out of order lol.)
    Rage can look like a lot of different things to different people. It can be the rage of the driver who thinks getting cut off on the freeway is the worst thing ever, and he keeps it boiling as he screams curses and drives like a maniac to catch up and repay them. It can be the seething rage of the woman who found out about her spouse cheating, and she quietly seethes as she waits for him to drink the coffee she poisoned. It can be the chronic rage of the person who thinks that the Jedi screwed him over, and who channels that to fuel his mystical power that relies on strong emotions. It can be the short fuse rage of a furry puppet that boils over when he decides it's his time for a drum solo.

In game terms, I let the players determine what rage looks like. I've had a player turn ice cold when they rage - normally a gregarious, fun character, when the rage sets in they have a laser focus on their target and no time for jokes. They are not the shouting, over-the-top rage that is more stereotypical, but it is clearly rage.
    Campaigning in my home brewed world for the since spring of 2020 - started a campaign journal to keep track of what is going on a few levels in. It starts here: https://www.worldanvil.com/w/the-ter...report-article

Created an interactive character sheet for sidekicks on Google Sheets - automatic calculations, drop down menus for sidekick type, hopefully everything necessary to run a sidekick: https://tinyurl.com/y6rnyuyc

28. - Top - End - #28

I think once you describe it as seething or something else, it's not Rage. Rage is violent uncontrollable anger. I think that's the disconnect. We just have to accept that it's a game term. You're seething on the way to Rage, then you Rage.

But in game terms, it's just a mechanic called Rage. As an example, most of my barbarians are not tapping into some violent anger when they rage.

29. - Top - End - #29

AssassinGuy

The way I see most people play it, is it is just pressing a button.

"I am going to rage," the player says with a completely straight face and no emotion behind it.

It is a in game choice, so hit the Triangle button that activates the game benefits now.

At least that is how I see most people play it.
    *This Space Available*

30. - Top - End - #30

RedWizardGuy

That's fine if that's how you interpret rage, but it isn't how everyone does. A search for "seething rage" got me 2.5 million results. These included therapists' blogs and Reddit questions about how to deal with seething rage, t-shirts with cats and the sarcastic line "seething with rage", references to RPGs and video games with spells or abilities called seething rage, a few bands and songs called a variation of the phrase, lists of examples of how the term is used, poetry and art titled seething rage, an excerpt from Prometheus Bound that has been translated as "hot-seething rage", crossword puzzles with "seething rage" as a clue, and so on.