New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Barbarian in the Playground

BardGuy

Default Re: About selling your soul

Whatever mortal can possibly invent, Baatezu are already familiar with. They exist for much longer time and are way smarter and more vile. I am sure that they do expect literally anything.

And they will do their best to not be tricked by mortal, because if they do, they will face punishment so horrid that we can't even imagine it. Its their safety and not just losing mortal's soul to another devil.
    Last edited by Edreyn; 2024-03-19 at 12:28 PM.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Dwarf in the Playground

I think devils are overestimated. Not all devils are millennia old, and even those, are limited by their Intelligence scores and skill ranks. They can be superated, they don't gain a +1 to their checks every 100 years or anything similar.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Samael Morgenst View Post
    I think devils are overestimated. Not all devils are millennia old, and even those, are limited by their Intelligence scores and skill ranks. They can be superated, they don't gain a +1 to their checks every 100 years or anything similar.
    Not all devils are out there making deals either.

Ice devils for example, are seen explicitly as a dead end promotion, because they kinda suck at making deals due to bad mental ability scores. This is stated directly in fc2

Also, considering that every devil (aside from erinyes) started off as a lowly lemure for centuries before they got promoted to a higher form, even the lowliest of intelligent devils are AT LEAST centuries, and anything above an imp is probably AT LEAST a millennia old
    World of Madius wiki - My personal campaign setting, including my homebrew Optional Gestalt/LA rules.
    The new Quick Vestige List

Quote Originally Posted by Kazyan View Post
    Playing a wizard the way GitP says wizards should be played requires the equivalent time and effort investment of a university minor. Do you really want to go down this rabbit hole, or are you comfortable with just throwing a souped-up Orb of Fire at the thing?
    Quote Originally Posted by atemu1234 View Post
    Humans are rarely truly irrational, just wrong.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Dwarf in the Playground

And how many books of infernal jurisprudence does a lemure reads through those centuries?

5. - Top - End - #35
    Ettin in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

And how many books of infernal jurisprudence does a lemure reads through those centuries?
    They don't really have to - they're beings of pure Law and Evil; that's halfway to a law degree already.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hall View Post
    There's a reason why we bap your nose, not crucify you, for thread necromancy.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by EliDupree View Post
    This sounds like a great idea!*

*...for the backstory of a guy whose body and soul have now been torn into eight pieces and each piece mounted at the gate to a different circle of Hell, all individually screaming for eternity, as an example to all those who would try to cheat the devils of their due.
    That is an awesome idea. . . and sounds like the probable long term consequence of this strategy.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Pixie in the Playground

Well,
    As a GM I have a simple solution to all this.....once the deal is signed, I lean over my GM Screen. Pick up the character sheet and say "My, this makes a great NPC now doesn't it."

When I GM I have a rule that the characters should be striving to be hero's, not villains or Soul-Lawyers.
    I have two players that like to be on the edge of that and I periodically reign them in their behavior with "Are you sure this is in your long term interest to alienate the god of the priest that heals you?"
    Amazing what behavior changes can occur when "Bless", "Cure" and other buffs stop working on a character.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Orc in the Playground

Another idea.

Could the harvester devil be persuaded to add a clause forbidding him or his associates from causing any harm to the client, directly or indirectly?
    They'd only consider that if the client and associates were also forbidden to do the same to them.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Ettin in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by GeoffWatson View Post
    They'd only consider that if the client and associates were also forbidden to do the same to them.
    Also, that's just begging for a non-associated devil to show up and do harm "coincidentally".
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hall View Post
    There's a reason why we bap your nose, not crucify you, for thread necromancy.