New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default NEARLY game-breaking Level 10 Builds for a One-Shot?

Hi all,

I'm going to run a weird one-shot for a few friends, where I provide premade characters that showcase some of of the more bizarre optimizations of 3e D&D. I'm looking for a set of 6 builds that are considered extremely cheesy, but are still playable enough that a DM could tailor a session to them, with unique strengths so they all get some spotlight opportunities.

I'm currently eyeing level 10 or 11 for this. I brainstormed parts of a few ideas, but I'm not certain about them yet.
    • Dragonwrought Loredrake: The only time anyone will ever sign off on this combo lol. +3 sorcerer levels seems good, but I want something else with it too. Maybe locate city bomb?
    • Infinite Hurler: A Cancer Mage with infinite Strength and Hulking Hurler. You miss on a nat 1 only, and you deal infinite damage within your thrown weapon range.
    • Almost Perfect Tank: A Warforged Juggernaut with Trollblooded and the Saint template. You're immune to almost all damage
    • Dinomaster? Something that abuses various skill bonuses to get a massive Handle Animal check and rear an 30+ HD Spinosaurus Warbeast .
    • Just a Ghost: The ghost template with some basic optimization. I think the incorporeality and ability damage will go a long way.

Builds that totally break the game won't do well in a one-shot, so things like Pun-Pun and the Omniscificer are out. The (relative) low level also cuts out a few builds, like the jumplomancer which depends on an Exemplar feature that we can't qualify for early enough.

Do any builds come to mind? Alternatively / additionally, any thoughts on the stubs of builds in my current list?
    All work I do is CC-BY-SA. Copy it wherever you want as long as you credit me.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: NEARLY game-breaking Level 10 Builds for a One-Shot?

I'm not sure infinite strength is all that playable.

Another immunity build is a Lernaen Multiheaded(Savage Species) Lumi (MMIII).

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

I don’t understand why the infinite Strength build needs Hulking Hurler. Hulking Hurler is a means of dealing absurd damage, but a build with infinite Strength already has infinite damage. What’s Hulking Hurler adding in this case?

Cancer Mage doesn’t just give infinite Strength with Festering Anger. It also gives infinite Armor Class with Vile Rigidity.

I’d give the Cancer Mage 4 levels of Bloodstorm Blade. It saves you from having to take the Brutal Throw feat and gives you a fast acting Returning effect. It would be annoying to have to carry a bunch of weapons or keep finding nearby rocks.

Since you’re going to be killing everything in one hit, you should take the Great Cleave feat. Just keep making more attacks until you roll a 1.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

HD manipulation is very cheesy and very powerful.

A simple Lycanthropy/cure Lycanthropy to enter Ur-Priest and have 9th level spells at ECL 10 works pretty well (obviously DMM Persist and Dweomerkeeper are good here).
    Same thing with True Polymorph into a mind flayer to enter Illithid Savant then end the spell to lose the HD and LA.
    A d2 crusader if you can find ways to increase their initiator level (since bloodlines from UA increase the level of all classes at once‚ you can be a swordsage1/warblade1/crusader1/cleric1‚ then take bloodline levels to barely reach over initiator level 15 at level 10 (your initiator level at ECL 9, with 5 levels of bloodline, would be 6+3+3+3=15) and take the Aura of Chaos stance while having level 2 spells to cast Stabilize as a free action and trigger the d2 crusader trick).

I also can't imagine why the Jumplomancer wasn't mentioned. Jump‚ everyone is amazed‚ they become your slave.
    It also shouldn't be too hard to make an IKEA Tarrasque :
    Pugilist Fighter from Dragon 310 and be a Necropolitan gives you immunity to damage and most forms of harm. Then‚ any number of ways to protect your friends and take their damage.
    Last edited by Beni-Kujaku; 2024-03-11 at 04:19 AM.
    Resurrecting the Negative LA thread, comments and discussion are very welcome!

Do you want to build monstrous characters with reasonable LA? Join the Monster Mash! Currently, round XII: One-Punch Monster!!! Come judge single-strike entries!
    Nice find! Have a cookie!
    Searchable spreadsheet of 3.5 monsters by abilities, now with all online monsters

Quote Originally Posted by H_H_F_F View Post
    3.5 allows you to optimize into godhood, yes, but far more importantly, it lets you optimize weak, weird, and niche options into relevance.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Maat Mons View Post
    I don’t understand why the infinite Strength build needs Hulking Hurler. Hulking Hurler is a means of dealing absurd damage, but a build with infinite Strength already has infinite damage. What’s Hulking Hurler adding in this case?

Cancer Mage doesn’t just give infinite Strength with Festering Anger. It also gives infinite Armor Class with Vile Rigidity.

I’d give the Cancer Mage 4 levels of Bloodstorm Blade. It saves you from having to take the Brutal Throw feat and gives you a fast acting Returning effect. It would be annoying to have to carry a bunch of weapons or keep finding nearby rocks.

Since you’re going to be killing everything in one hit, you should take the Great Cleave feat. Just keep making more attacks until you roll a 1.
    I was thinking Area Attack so they can convert their +Infinity to hit into a DC Infinity save against foes with %miss chance. Bloodstorm Blade and Great Cleave are great ideas.

Quote Originally Posted by Beni-Kujaku View Post
    HD manipulation is very cheesy and very powerful.

A simple Lycanthropy/cure Lycanthropy to enter Ur-Priest and have 9th level spells at ECL 10 works pretty well (obviously DMM Persist and Dweomerkeeper are good here).
    Same thing with True Polymorph into a mind flayer to enter Illithid Savant then end the spell to lose the HD and LA.
    A d2 crusader if you can find ways to increase their initiator level (since bloodlines from UA increase the level of all classes at once‚ you can be a swordsage1/warblade1/crusader1/cleric1‚ then take bloodline levels to barely reach over initiator level 15 at level 10 (your initiator level at ECL 9, with 5 levels of bloodline, would be 6+3+3+3=15) and take the Aura of Chaos stance while having level 2 spells to cast Stabilize as a free action and trigger the d2 crusader trick).

I also can't imagine why the Jumplomancer wasn't mentioned. Jump‚ everyone is amazed‚ they become your slave.
    It also shouldn't be too hard to make an IKEA Tarrasque :
    Pugilist Fighter from Dragon 310 and be a Necropolitan gives you immunity to damage and most forms of harm. Then‚ any number of ways to protect your friends and take their damage.
    HD manipulation looks possible, though it comes out to something similar to the dragonwrought, just with higher level spells. I do like the bloodline manipulation d2 crusader, maybe that's a replacement for infinite strength cancer mage, since that's limited to melee attacks which makes planning around the fight a little easier.

Jumplomancer & its cousins, I understand them, are minimum lv15-ish trick, because you need the Exemplar feature. I can probably still do fanatical devotion stuff, just with normal Diplomacy checks.

Pugilist ACF is patched in Dragon errata (it's now FH1, only for nonlethal damage).
    All work I do is CC-BY-SA. Copy it wherever you want as long as you credit me.