New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Default Looking for a Pathfinder 1e multiclass guides

Ok, I'm not exactly novice myself in regards to multiclassing or Pathfinder1e/3.X in general (having played pf1e more or less 10 years on a weekly basis, and theorycrafted character builds with PF1e, as well as with 3.5 long before that), but it's been a while since I did either, and I'm looking for second opinions and/or insights.

I got this idea of a Core Rulebook Only (non-negotiable context) Bard/Ranger, but haven't gotten into much details yet, as I'm not sure how if at all it would work best.

If you can direct me at a guide in these forums or elsewhere (that still works; Paizo forums seem to have all but abandoned anything related to 1st edition, and old discussions seem to be inaccessible), or alternatively, provide some insights on the topic, I'd very much appreciate it.
    Please be mindful of what you say in public; sadly not all can handle sarcasm or The Internet Credibility.
    My Homebrew:
    Base Class: Warlord | Roguish Archetype: Inquisitor | Roguish Archetype: Thug | Primal Path: Rage Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Anon von Zilch View Post
    Words actually mean things, people!

Ongoing game & character:
    Sajan Uttam, human Monk 6/Fist of Irori 3 (Legacy of Fire)

D&D/Pathfinder CV of sorts
    3.0 since 2002
    3.5 since 2003
    4e since 2008
    Pathfinder 1e since 2008
    5e since 2014

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Looking for a Pathfinder 1e multiclass guides

Quote Originally Posted by Arkhios View Post
    I got this idea of a Core Rulebook Only (non-negotiable context) Bard/Ranger, but haven't gotten into much details yet, as I'm not sure how if at all it would work best.
    So what is your idea? What do you want your character to do, and how does the bard class support that, and how does the ranger class support that?

Generally speaking the bard is a very effective and versatile class, and the ranger (especially core-only ranger) is markedly not, so absent further information I would go ranger 2 / bard 18 so you can TWF without needing a high dexterity score. Then pick as your fave enemy something that is immune to the bard's mind-affecting spells, such as undead.

Paizo forums seem to have all but abandoned anything related to 1st edition, and old discussions seem to be inaccessible),
    No they haven't. 1E discussions are still ongoing here: https://paizo.com/community/forums/p...r/firstEdition
    Last edited by Kurald Galain; 2024-03-11 at 11:30 AM.
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

The game in question would be Kingmaker AP*

It's all rather superficial so far, but I had this idea of a former or maybe exiled tribal shaman or a chieftain candidate driven away by a more favorable or stronger competitor. In exile (self-imposed or not) they tried a new life in a big city, but due to their upbringing, couldn't stand the city life for long, eventually ending up living on the outskirts of the city, and close to the more rural area or borderlands, instead. In a way "between two worlds": one that they don't have a place in, and one that they didn't quite fit in.

At first I figured they could be some sort of cleric, or a druid, but both have too much restrictions on flavor (either too strict about faith or too restricted on equipment, or about alignment on both accounts; which will be a factor in-game). A barbarian would also be a bit too savage for what I had in mind, so, a Ranger feels the most appropriate for their current way of living, without being too limiting. I don't see them ever using a heavy armor, so going with plain old Fighter would feel wrong. Or lacking, especially of survival skills (other than survival, that is). As for bard, I like the aesthetic of a shamanistic round drum made off of cured leather, wood and bones. Versatile Performance (percussion) would be handy as well.

*The details are still hazy for the most parts, but I have half-decided that they'd specialize in Aldori Dueling Sword, even if only with the feat. Fighting Style could be either, really, since both have some utility options not necessary to be used with their chosen weapon or style (Quick Draw is always good and Rapid Shot is really handy to have even if you didn't focus on ranged combat because it works with both thrown and projectile weapons).

Stat-wise I dare not even begin to speculate too thoroughly, because we'll likely roll the stats for the game, but I'd imagine aiming to keep dexterity fairly high for Weapon Finesse (becuse of Aldori Dueling Sword), strength following close behind. Wisdom and Charisma around the same ballpark, between 12-14, if possible, or prioritizing Charisma if not. I'd rather not dump Intelligence, however, and Constitution is always important.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurald Galain View Post
    No they haven't. 1E discussions are still ongoing here: https://paizo.com/community/forums/p...r/firstEdition
    Huh, that's strange. I couldn't find it earlier or get there without being redirected to somewhere else...
    Last edited by Arkhios; 2024-03-12 at 05:51 AM.
    Please be mindful of what you say in public; sadly not all can handle sarcasm or The Internet Credibility.
    My Homebrew:
    Base Class: Warlord | Roguish Archetype: Inquisitor | Roguish Archetype: Thug | Primal Path: Rage Mage

3.0 since 2002
    3.5 since 2003
    4e since 2008
    Pathfinder 1e since 2008
    5e since 2014

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Arkhios View Post
    A barbarian would also be a bit too savage for what I had in mind, so, a Ranger feels the most appropriate for their current way of living, without being too limiting. I don't see them ever using a heavy armor, so going with plain old Fighter would feel wrong. Or lacking, especially of survival skills (other than survival, that is). As for bard, I like the aesthetic of a shamanistic round drum made off of cured leather, wood and bones. Versatile Performance (percussion) would be handy as well.
    Okay, so as I understand it you're taking the Ranger class for flavor reasons, and its class abilities don't really impact your character (as the ranger is not proficient in Dueling Swords).

That's really fine if it fits your group; for that I'd recommend Ranger 1 / Bard 19. You're essentially trading a delay in your bard abilities for +2 hit points, animal empathy, and training in swim and survival.

I'd imagine aiming to keep dexterity fairly high for Weapon Finesse (becuse of Aldori Dueling Sword), strength following close behind. Wisdom and Charisma around the same ballpark, between 12-14, if possible, or prioritizing Charisma if not.
    That would require either a set of lucky rolls or a really high point buy. I don't understand why you'd want strength (a Finesse build commonly has a 7 or 8 on str). A bard and especially a chieftain would probably want much higher charisma, doesn't benefit from wisdom, and could consider 8 int since you have plenty of skill points anyway and knowledges aren't your focus.

Basically, my advice for ability scores is to specialize instead of keeping everything slightly-above-average. And as you say, don't dump consitution.
    Last edited by Kurald Galain; 2024-03-12 at 09:23 AM.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Okay, so as I understand it you're taking the Ranger class purely for flavor reasons, and none of its class abilities impact your character (as the ranger is not proficient in Dueling Swords).

That's really fine if it fits your group; for that I'd recommend Ranger 1 / Bard 19. You're essentially trading a delay in all your bard abilities for +2 hit points, animal empathy, and training in swim and survival.

That would require either a set of lucky rolls or a really high point buy. I don't understand why you'd want strength (a Finesse build commonly has a 7 or 8 on str). A bard and especially a chieftain would probably want much higher charisma, doesn't benefit from wisdom, and could consider 8 int since you have plenty of skill points anyway and knowledges aren't your focus.

Basically, my advice for ability scores is to specialize instead of keeping everything slightly-above-average. And as you say, don't dump consitution.
    Ranger fits the theme of the AP, and has good BAB, so I could grab exotic proficiency right at the first level. Wild Empathy sadly doesn't scale with character level so either I take more levels in ranger or simply ignore it. I don't fully agree that Ranger is bad per sé, but I do agree that delaying bard progress too much might be a bad idea.

Knowledges are covered by Bardic Knowledge, so yes, they're not a big concern of mine, that is true. But the more ranks I can get for other skills, the better, and if I get a good Intelligence bonus in return, it doesn't hurt. I'm not expecting an insane set of scores, obviously, but I'm not forfeiting hope for those, either. I'm not hoping this character to run for the Kingship, as another player has already voiced their interest for it, and I'm fine with that. I think my character could settle for some other leadership role quite easily.

I've never really been fond of playing characters that use Dexterity for everything, even if they were finesse builds, and since this is a Core Only concept, I won't be getting dexterity to Damage rolls, and I'd really prefer if the character dealt a bit more damage with their sword than just the weapon die + inspire courage + possible bonuses from enhancements (ok, those do cover quite a lot of ground already). It's something of a personal preference to have some bonus on Strength. If only for the carrying capacity.

Nor do I like playing characters with excess dump stats (for example, using point-buy, an 8 I'm fine with, but 7 or lower feels like I'm min-maxing).
    Last edited by Arkhios; 2024-03-12 at 09:18 AM.
    My Homebrew:

3.0 since 2002
    3.5 since 2003
    4e since 2008
    Pathfinder 1e since 2008
    5e since 2014

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

If you can't get dex to damage and you don't have sneak attack, then I don't think the Weapon Finesse feat is going to help you.

Standard point buy gets me e.g.: Str 17, Dex 14, Con 12, Int 8, Wis 8, Cha 14. Although I'd really prefer more charisma on a bard.

HTH!

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

If you can't get dex to damage and you don't have sneak attack, then I don't think the Weapon Finesse feat is going to help you.
    Actually, I just realized that I might be allowed to use the Prestige Class (Aldori Swordlord) that would give me Deft Strike, so I may have been a bit hasty about not getting Dex to damage! It would, of course, mean at least one more level in other than bard.

Standard point buy gets me e.g.: Str 17, Dex 14, Con 12, Int 8, Wis 8, Cha 14. Although I'd really prefer more charisma on a bard.
    If I can use the Prestige Class, I'd probably adjust this (to be used as a guideline once I know my rolls) to Str 12, Dex 17, Con 14, Int 8, Wis 8, Cha 14.
    If not, then to Str 14, Dex 17, Con 12, Int 8, Wis 8, Cha 14.
    At the very least, I don't want a negative score to Str, because penalty does apply to damage too. But having Str 13 at minimum would open Power Attack for me. Even if I did get to apply Dex to damage, so there's that.

Weapon Finesse is a requirement for the Aldori Dueling Mastery feat, which I plan to take to emphasize the fighting style (and I just noticed, that Quick Draw is one of the required feats too, so Two-Weapon Combat style would be ideal, even if I didn't take Ranger more than 2 levels)

HTH!
    I feel stupid to ask this: HTH?
    Edit: oh, I get it! "Happy to help", right?
    Last edited by Arkhios; 2024-03-12 at 03:00 PM.