New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Daemon

Default 5e pls PEACH new spell Curse of King Missile.

If you’re a fan of the band, this may disappoint you, sorry.

I’m playing a cosmic warlock. He’s a magic Missile junky. I’m using the UA7 1D&D rules.

So one of his schticks is converting existing spells into magic Missile variants, I typically do this with flavor text but I want him to create a custom spell as follows:

Sagan’s Curse of King Missile
    2nd Level Evocation
    Casting time: 1 Action
    Components: V, S
    Duration: 1 minute
    Range: Self (120 ft)

For the duration of the spell, as a bonus action and once per turn when you miss with a spell attack you can create a bolt of arcane force that orbits your body. Each time you are attacked by a creature you can see within range, all of the bolts currently orbiting you are discharged toward the attacker dealing 1d4+1 Force damage apiece. All the bolts strike simultaneously.

Any bolts still orbiting you at the end of the spell explode dealing 1 force damage each to the caster.

Casting at Higher levels: when you cast this spell with a 4th level or higher slot you can use your bonus action to create a number of bolts equal to half the level of the spell slot rounded down.
    ________
    This isn’t intended to preempt attacks, but I’m not sure how to word it otherwise. Any insight and feedback are appreciated!
    Last edited by BerzerkerUnit; 2024-03-12 at 04:35 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: 5e pls PEACH new spell Curse of King Missile.

So, PEACH (if I recall correctly) stands for Please Evaluate And Critique Honestly. Not sure if you're aware, given that you always duplicate the please. :P

Anyway, spell evaluation and critique! With honesty!

Who takes the damage from the bolts that explode at the end? The caster?
    And I feel like, on a Warlock, this is a little much. But maybe not... If it's a "You're hit, the bolts attack them" with no choice to reserve them, it's probably fine. Makes tactics more important, and the damage shouldn't be overwhelming.

If the spell DOES damage you at the end with unused bolts, I'd just drop that. It's not needed.
    I have a LOT of Homebrew!

Spoiler: Former Avatars
    Show
    Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Linkele
    Show

Spoiler: Individual Avatar Pics
    Show

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

Daemon

Default Re: 5e pls PEACH new spell Curse of King Missile.

Quote Originally Posted by JNAProductions View Post
    So, PEACH (if I recall correctly) stands for Please Evaluate And Critique Honestly. Not sure if you're aware, given that you always duplicate the please. :P

Anyway, spell evaluation and critique! With honesty!

Who takes the damage from the bolts that explode at the end? The caster?
    And I feel like, on a Warlock, this is a little much. But maybe not... If it's a "You're hit, the bolts attack them" with no choice to reserve them, it's probably fine. Makes tactics more important, and the damage shouldn't be overwhelming.

If the spell DOES damage you at the end with unused bolts, I'd just drop that. It's not needed.
    Aloha,

thanks so much for your feedback! I clarified the bolts do damage to the caster.

The intent is that it does retaliate with all your bolts. This isn't the Magic Missile spell so shield doesn't negate them. According to my wording it doesn't require you to be hit, just attacked (ah, there's the wording: "when you are attacked by a creature you can see")

So it's a 1 minute duration, no concentration spell that may not do any damage (blinded, invisible opponents, no attacks made against you), and has that potential self own at the end, but how high could it really go?