New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Default D&D 3.5 low-power; Dungeon of Strangeness 2.0, DEADLINE, 08/APRIL/2024

Hi playground,

some time ago I DM’d a small „escape the dungeon“ game that was quite fun. What I totally forgot was that I made an even bigger, more thought out dungeon with a friend of mine. I recently found that dungeon and would like to play through that again.
    What is really important to me is that the dungeon is… Not really dangerous. I’m sure you can rush through it with a halfway competently build level 6 charakter I implore everyone who wants to play in that game, make weak charakters.
    You don’t have to make an actively bad charakter, like a pure commoner who can’t do anything, but make a Beguiler who likes to use a Spiked Chain now and again, play a Ghoul, a Hexblade, a Sword and board fighter or a batman sorcerer with Arcane Lock (which may actually be useful here!)
    There will be battles and perhaps some mean status effects but I’m not out to kill anyone, I want people to see that weird quirky dungeon I built ten years ago.

The general idea would be that you were sent into the… Well… Dungeon to map it out, you’re quest is to find every room and then escape.
    Spoiler: BIG 16
    Show

1. What game system are you running (D&D, Call of Cthulu, Palladium, GURPS, etc.), and if applicable what edition (Original, Classic, Revised, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 5th, 10th, etc.)?
    Dungeons & Dragons 3.5

2. What 'type' or variant of game will it be (i.e. "Shadow Chasers" or "Agents of Psi" for d20 Modern)? What is the setting for the game (eg. historic period, published or homebrewed campaign setting, alternate reality, modern world, etc.)?
    Explore a dungeon.

3. How many Players are you looking for? Will you be taking alternates, and if so, how many?
    Around 4 players-

4. What's the gaming medium (OOTS, chat, e-mail etc.)?
    OotS forums

5. What is the characters' starting status (i.e. experience level)?
    6th level

6. How much gold or other starting funds will the characters begin with?
    Standard (13,000 gp)

7. Are there any particular character classes, professions, orders, etc. that you want... or do not want? What are your rules on 'prestige' and/or homebrewed classes?

You can really play anything, from any sourcebook, homebrew, etc. But it does need to keep up the spirit of the game, which means… Not very powerful at all.

8. What races, subraces, species, etc. are allowed for your game? Will you allow homebrewed races or species? 'Prestige' races or species?

You can be everything.

9. By what method should Players generate their attributes/ability scores and Hit Points?

32 Point Buy. Full hit points at 1st level, full HP after.
    2 bonus feats that you can take when you need them or not (mostly for thrower or whip builds.)
    No traits or flaws.

10. Does your game use alignment? What are your restrictions, if so?
    You should be able to work together, that’s the whole requirement.

11. Do you allow multi-classing, or have any particular rules in regards to it?
    Allowed, no penalties, go wild. Play that monk/fighter you ever wanted to play.

12. Will you be doing all of the die rolling during the course of the game? Will die rolls be altered, or left to the honor system? If players can make die rolls, which ones do they make, how should they make the rolls, and how should they report them?
    Players will roll on the forums. I will post combat rolls, other rolls may be made 'behind the scenes'

13. Are there any homebrewed or optional/variant rules that your Players should know about? If so, list and explain them, or provide relevant links to learn about these new rules.
    You’re going to preroll initiative and I’ll going to go with group initiative. It just makes it easier that way.

14. Is a character background required? If so, how big? Are you looking for anything in particular (i.e. the backgrounds all ending up with the characters in the same city)?
    Skirt length, you’ll going to end upworking for a certain group to map out a dungeon and you’re briefly will not have you’re equipment available.

15. Does your game involve a lot of hack & slash, puzzle solving, roleplaying, or a combination of the above?
    Mostly dungeon exploration, some fighting, some puzzles, some mystery… You can get through a lot of the dungeon without fighting if you approach it correctly.

16. Are your Players restricted to particular rulebooks and supplements, or will you be allowing access to non-standard material? What sources can Players use for their characters?
    You can use everything.
    Last edited by Alhallor; 2024-04-02 at 08:12 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ridai View Post
    No no no, not speaking while fighting. Speaking with the fighting!

That rabite monk dive-blobbing you in the face, followed by hooking teeth into your belt and suplexing you is a woefully poorly understood way of remarking on how nice the weather is.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

d20 Re: D&D 3.5 low-power; Dungeon of Strangeness 2.0

Character Sheet Archived
    Last edited by SCARY WIZARD; 2024-04-09 at 04:25 AM.
    "I don't want problems solved for me. I want the fishing rod, not the fish." -Yanni

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Default Re: D&D 3.5 low-power; Dungeon of Strangeness 2.0

Quote Originally Posted by SCARY WIZARD View Post
    ADDENDUM: By "everything", does this include non-WotC sources as well? Because I have a bunch of hard copies of Mongoose books, and WarCraft RPG books, so while I can tie my hands behind my back with WotC materials... with those sources I'm asking about, I could tie both behind my back!
    It actually does mean "EVERYTHING!" as long as it's not overtly powerful, which does seem to be what you're aiming for.

I would need the possibility to take a look at it at least, either written out or with a link of some sorts (I do want to know what you're guys are actually capable of.)

That rabite monk dive-blobbing you in the face, followed by hooking teeth into your belt and suplexing you is a woefully poorly understood way of remarking on how nice the weather is.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Firbolg in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Nice. I wanted to try my luck build. Some questions:

1) For Planar Touchstone: Catalogue of Enlightenment, does it count as a domain for the purpose of feats and cleric level=character level?

2) Are organization requirements for prestige classes waived?

3) Flaws? Traits?

5. - Top - End - #5

Quote Originally Posted by Alhallor View Post
    It actually does mean "EVERYTHING!" as long as it's not overtly powerful, which does seem to be what you're aiming for.
    Ohh, no, some of those books I'm talking about, while the designers were well-intentioned, are very bad. Tragic, actually. I remember complaining about the to one of the desigenrs, as a matter of fact, on their forums! The only strong things that would come off of those, are the smell!

In any case! Neat! Thanks for the quick response!
    "I don't want problems solved for me. I want the fishing rod, not the fish." -Yanni

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Yas392 View Post
    Nice. I wanted to try my luck build. Some questions:

1) For Planar Touchstone: Catalogue of Enlightenment, does it count as a domain for the purpose of feats and cleric level=character level?

2) Are organization requirements for prestige classes waived?

3) Flaws? Traits?
    1. Needed to research that. I would rule that it doesn't count as a domain for other feats and also doesn't count as cleric spellcasting as a requirement for prestige classes (because in what I found the spellcasting in that case is VERY limited) when you cast something (and use a domain ability) it should be cleric level=character level. No changing these domains for domain feats either.

2. I'm not sure what Prestige class you may want to enter but you can consider them waived. Give a small nod in you're backstory to sate my curiosity (you don't need to be a member of the organization but I would like to know how you got the knowledge to get into that Prestige Class somehow).

3. I always forgot these, you can choose to take 2 bonus feats, no further traits or flaws. (I updated the 16 accordingly.)

7. - Top - End - #7

AssassinGuy

1. Needed to research that. I would rule that it doesn't count as a domain for other feats and also doesn't count as cleric spellcasting as a requirement for prestige classes (because in what I found the spellcasting in that case is VERY limited) when you cast something (and use a domain ability) it should be cleric level=character level. No changing these domains for domain feats either.

2. I'm not sure what Prestige class you may want to enter but you can consider them waived. Give a small nod in you're backstory to sate my curiosity (you don't need to be a member of the organization but I would like to know how you got the knowledge to get into that Prestige Class somehow).

3. I always forgot these, you can choose to take 2 bonus feats, no further traits or flaws. (I updated the 16 accordingly.)
    1) That puts a damper to my build but still usable. Is the exp cost paid pre-game or does taking it reduces my character's level to level 5?
    Last edited by Yas392; 2024-03-13 at 07:23 AM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

1) That puts a damper to my build but still usable. Is the exp cost paid pre-game or does taking it reduces my character's level to level 5?
    I thought about that, and with it only being 10 XP it wouldn't reduce you're level.

9. - Top - End - #9

AssassinGuy

OK. New build. Assuming our character's do not start with action points/use variant action point rule for the game but gain the ability to get a temporary action point through feats for expenditure, do we select from Eberron or SRD options ?
    Last edited by Yas392; 2024-03-13 at 08:40 AM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Bugbear in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Tempted to make a Gnoll. Two monster hit dice and +1 LA makes for one of the worst races in 3.5, or so was the impression I got from the LA Assignment thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by Potato_Priest View Post
    Honestly, most players would get super excited about Zenob the god of crabs because it's eccentric. I know I would.
    Quote Originally Posted by Paragon View Post
    But a friendly reminder that, by RAW, this game is unplayable

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

OK. New build. Assuming our character's do not start with action points/use variant action point rule for the game but gain the ability to get a temporary action point through feats for expenditure, do we select from Eberron or SRD options ?
    Yes, you don't start with Action points, go with Eberron please, I'm more familiar with that.

Quote Originally Posted by Dusk Raven View Post
    Tempted to make a Gnoll. Two monster hit dice and +1 LA makes for one of the worst races in 3.5, or so was the impression I got from the LA Assignment thread.
    Gnoll would definitely fit.

12. - Top - End - #12

This sounds fun.

I'm thinking perhaps an old gnome necromancer cleric/warlock. Since this chassis is decent, he would come with Flaws (but with no extra Feat gained as counterpart): he'd be a bit deaf, a bit blind, etc...

"Forward, my minions" he shouted, his hand pointing... not towards the enemies, but a wall.
    "Even gods must learn to control their tempers, lest they set a bad example."
    The Malazan Book of the Fallen, Steven Erikson

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Damn! I had said to myself "no more recruitments" and then I see Alhalor + Dungeoncraziness in the same sentence and I'm cursed to do a character. A something something Dungeoncrasher.

I'll be back with a concept.

1. Could I play a Blink Dog? They have 4HD and +2 LA. I'll start with no Character levels and probably go Warmind for my first char level.
    Last edited by Auranghzeb; 2024-03-13 at 11:10 AM.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

PirateWench

So I am thinking there needs to be a party member that their whole task is to map the dungeon, as such I wonder what the gm would have to say about the Roguetotum peach class, failing that a straight up factotum should work - that is my idea
    Last edited by samduke; 2024-03-13 at 10:25 AM.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by namo View Post
    This sounds fun.

I'm thinking perhaps an old gnome necromancer cleric/warlock. Since this chassis is decent, he would come with Flaws (but with no extra Feat gained as counterpart): he'd be a bit deaf, a bit blind, etc...

"Forward, my minions" he shouted, his hand pointing... not towards the enemies, but a wall.
    That sounds insane and pretty fun, I'd be up for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Auranghzeb View Post
    Damn! I had said to myself "no more recruitments" and then I see Alhalor + Dungeoncraziness in the same sentence and I'm cursed to do a character. A something something Dungeoncrasher.

I'll be back with a concept.

1. Could I play a Blink Dog? They have 4HD and +2 LA. I'll start with no Character levels and probably go Warmind for my first char level.

2. If that's too wacky/powerful because of the free dim door. I'll think of something to go with Dungeoncrasher.
    1. After looking over Blink Dog... Yeah I think that works. Dimension Door is fun and could be used in interesting ways, Blink is pretty powerful but also works as a debuff. I would rule that you can't use both on the same turn and use the ability's as a immediate action. Dimension Door also may not work everytime because... Dungeon stuff. Probably still works 95% of the time.

2. Doesn't apply anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by samduke View Post
    So I am thinking there needs to be a party member that their whole task is to map the dungeon, as such I wonder what the gm would have to say about the Roguetotum peach class, failing that a straight up factotum should work - that is my idea
    I would prefer the normal factotum in this case.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Excellent, Blink dog Coming!

Arco [Area Reconnaissance Capable Organism] -Mnemonic K9.
    The Mnemonic K9 were exemplars of their species. Intelligent and astute creatures with excellent recollection capabilities and durability. During the Last War, these units were deployed to explore dungeons and remote areas and perfectly memorize thousands of miles of layout and intricate patterns. Arco is one of the last Mnemonic K9 alive, the last remain of a dying tradition. It has been sent to this Dungeon to map it, but Arco is also a philosopher, an independent thinker with its own agenda: take full ownership of the Dungeon.

Arco
    M N Blinkdog Magical Beast, Level 6 (4+LA2), Init 5, HP 48/48, Speed 40
    AC 18, Touch 15, Flat-footed 13, Fort 7, Ref 9, Will 3, Base Attack Bonus 4
    Bite +9 (1d6+2, )
    (+5 Dex, +3 Natural)
    Abilities Str 14, Dex 20, Con 16, Int 14, Wis 15, Cha 11
    Condition None

Role: It basically is a scout/ranger.

Requests:
    1. I would love to go either Beast Heart Adept and then Dungeon Lord (Both classes in Dungeonscape). But Only Dungeon Lord is really important as I can only qualify when and if I clear the whole dungeon.
    2. I'm missing all gear, I really don't want gear beyond perhaps a harness or such, I don't like people who dresses dogs. Would you be open to allow me to buy permanency spells or Cybertech?
    Last edited by Auranghzeb; 2024-03-13 at 12:51 PM.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

I have, perhaps, dumb thoughts. If you would, I could use some input:

Skill monkey samurai.
    Dual wielding full blades.
    And all else fails, I do enjoy a totemist but have never gotten one through a game.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

PirateWench

@GM ok is google sheet or the like acceptable? I no longer use mw

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGirl

Time to crack out my SHOULDER MOUNTED ROCKET KITTEH~! AKA, my Tibbit Dragonfire Adept I've been dying to make.

Allahor, quick question -- would you allow Surrogate Spellcasting from Savage Species to work with invocations when she's in kitteh form?

Spoiler: Based on my own kitteh Mystery...
    Show

20. - Top - End - #20

Oh no. Aurangh is not going Dungeincrasher anymore, so I'll actually have to pitch my newest demented idea! You see, Iconsidered trying to reactivate Kalliste for this, but then I felt that it wouldn't feel the same without the rest of the old crew and I saw Dungeoncrasher and…

Long story short, I now want to do a Merfolk who's also a compulsive vandal compulsively doing vandalism, but only through means other than dungeoncrashing. Basically, what I'm thinking right now is Warlock 3/Warblade 1/Cleric 1/LA +1 with Hammer Blast and Baleful Utterance AT-WILL, Mountain Hammer EVERY ROUND, Destruction Domain, Destruction Devotion and a Monkey Gripped Large maul – wielded while crawling forward at the breackneck speed of 5 to 10'.

21. - Top - End - #21

Quote Originally Posted by Cygnia View Post
    Time to crack out my SHOULDER MOUNTED ROCKET KITTEH~! AKA, my Tibbit Dragonfire Adept I've been dying to make.

Allahor, quick question -- would you allow Surrogate Spellcasting from Savage Species to work with invocations when she's in kitteh form?

Show

22. - Top - End - #22

I played one a long time back, it was a blast! Main problem was actually communication in cat form (the meow, rubbing legs, etc... only goes so far), but something can worked out for sure, in this campaign.
    Spoiler: The picture I used
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Metastachydium View Post
    Warlock 3/Warblade 1/Cleric 1/LA +1 with Hammer Blast and Baleful Utterance AT-WILL, Mountain Hammer EVERY ROUND, Destruction Domain, Destruction Devotion and a Monkey Gripped Large maul – wielded while crawling forward at the breackneck speed of 5 to 10'.
    I was going to get Baleful Utterance with my Warlock level (flavoured as decay more than destruction).
    I like your concept a lot, to be frank, so perhaps I could be persuaded to drop it in your favour.
    Anyway, lots of things can change still.
    "Even gods must learn to control their tempers, lest they set a bad example."
    The Malazan Book of the Fallen, Steven Erikson

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ettin in the Playground

Count me interested. Thinking of going Swordsage and/or Swashbuckler.

24. - Top - End - #24

Planetar

Beguiler Reserve Mage who tries to avoid using her actual magic as much as possible and rely on Reserve Feats
    As long as we don’t expect to level up, she’ll only have 2 levels of Reserve Mage and not get into the silliness of throwing multiple reserve feats. It’s more like throwing suped up cantrips all day

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Auranghzeb View Post
    Requests:
    1. I would love to go either Beast Heart Adept and then Dungeon Lord (Both classes in Dungeonscape). But Only Dungeon Lord is really important as I can only qualify when and if I clear the whole dungeon.
    2. I'm missing all gear, I really don't want gear beyond perhaps a harness or such, I don't like people who dresses dogs. Would you be open to allow me to buy permanency spells or Cybertech?
    1. Beast heart adept sounds fun, I don't know if you ever will be able to really profit from Dungeon Lord but there is a possibility.

2. I'm okay with Permanency spells or graft. Throw me a link for Cybertech if you have something specific in mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Buufreak View Post
    I have, perhaps, dumb thoughts. If you would, I could use some input:

Skill monkey samurai.
    Dual wielding full blades.
    And all else fails, I do enjoy a totemist but have never gotten one through a game.
    The only input I could give is that I haven't found rules for the fullblade. I did found a Forgotten Realms wiki page but without statistics and a homebrew page but I don't know if that is the one you are searching for.
    Totemist would work too.

Quote Originally Posted by samduke View Post
    @GM ok is google sheet or the like acceptable? I no longer use mw
    As long as I can access it easily, it's ok. Google sheet works.

Show
    Should work with invocations. I approve cute kitty pictures.

Oh no. Aurangh is not going Dungeincrasher anymore, so I'll actually have to pitch my newest demented idea! You see, Iconsidered trying to reactivate Kalliste for this, but then I felt that it wouldn't feel the same without the rest of the old crew and I saw Dungeoncrasher and…

Long story short, I now want to do a Merfolk who's also a compulsive vandal compulsively doing vandalism, but only through means other than dungeoncrashing. Basically, what I'm thinking right now is Warlock 3/Warblade 1/Cleric 1/LA +1 with Hammer Blast and Baleful Utterance AT-WILL, Mountain Hammer EVERY ROUND, Destruction Domain, Destruction Devotion and a Monkey Gripped Large maul – wielded while crawling forward at the breackneck speed of 5 to 10'.
    That sounds wonderfully insane, perfect for this adventure.

Quote Originally Posted by Benoojian View Post
    Beguiler Reserve Mage who tries to avoid using her actual magic as much as possible and rely on Reserve Feats
    As long as we don’t expect to level up, she’ll only have 2 levels of Reserve Mage and not get into the silliness of throwing multiple reserve feats. It’s more like throwing suped up cantrips all day
    Reserve mage is a pretty fun idea, I approve!

If I should have missed a question, please just post it again.

All:

I'm pretty sure that you level up at least once. I didn't do all the math, I'm not sure how much you are going to level up in this adventure.

I want to stress that this may take a long time, there are a lot of rooms to explore, no idea how long it will take in RL time, I'm guessing around a year at least.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

Faith St. Mary, Chosen Dungeon Enjoyer. Using the Channeler, a divine invoker.

Got imbued with divine powers on a lark by an angel of Hlal, Felice, and Faith uses her powers more like a friendly tourist and explorer. She wanted in on the whole dungeon mapping business, being an avid drawer. Too bad she kind of got kidnapped in the process, and when all she had on her were her clothes, her trusty water bottle, and her rod of ropes. Oh well! She'll figure something out! First order of business is finding some parchment and ink!

On a player level, I would like to for once play a character who doesn't already come into a dungeon kitted out, but rather has to use whatever is found. The Decanter of Endless Water is both Faith's source of food and drink, as well as being there for shenanigans. The Rod of Ropes is for getting around and being fun.

She can also summon her Horn of Heavens saxophone at-will, and you better believe she is gonna make use of it!
    Last edited by Ridai; 2024-03-14 at 06:09 AM.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

I wanted to make a dungeoncrasher, you just made a DUNGEON THRASHER!

1. Beast heart adept sounds fun, I don't know if you ever will be able to really profit from Dungeon Lord but there is a possibility.

2. I'm okay with Permanency spells or graft. Throw me a link for Cybertech if you have something specific in mind.
    1. Cool, I have no idea how I'll meet the prerequisites of Beast Heart, but I'll figure it out. The sad part is that even with the LA+2, the build is more effective than a ranger... which tells all you need to know about rangers' class design. Still one of my top 5 classes to play.

2. I'll finish up the sheet and send a list of thinks for your approval.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Dwarf in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Buufreak View Post
    I could use some input:

Skill monkey samurai.
    Dual wielding full blades..
    Complete Warrior Samurai2/incarnate4? Approximate Fullblades by using golden weapons from FRCS, which bumps up damage dice.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

PirateWench

Backstory
    Angie, possessed an uncanny ability to navigate the labyrinthine depths of many dungeons, even ancient dungeons with unparalleled skill. Armed with a keen eye for detail and an insatiable curiosity, she meticulously charted every corridor, chamber, and hidden passage, unraveling the mysteries of forgotten realms. Her maps, intricate and precise, became coveted artifacts among adventurers, guiding them through perilous landscapes and towards long-lost treasures. Angie's passion for exploration drove her to venture into the darkest recesses of these dungeons, facing dangers head-on and emerging victorious, her maps serving as a testament to her courage and expertise in the art of cartography.

Angie Croft

edited

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGirl

Mystery

Spoiler: Description
    Show

As humanoid: Dark grey hair, dusky skin, green eyes, 2'8", 30lb, could be mistaken for a female halfling or gnome

As kitteh: Plush dark grey fur with a little smidge of white on her chest ruff, knowing green eyes, lean, licorice grey snoot with matching toe beans, 13lbs

Spoiler: Purrsonality
    Show

There are few beings as magnificent or as egotistical as dragons.

Cats come pretty damn close. And a cat with a breath weapon and the intelligence to apply it is doubly so.

Quiet, cautious, aloof -- if Mystery could stay in cat form all the time, life would be perfect. Alas, there are times when she needs to interact with teh hoominoids on their level. And she begrudgingly accepts there are times when Thumbs are Useful. But she's more than a bit smug when it comes to being underestimated.

Spoiler: When she reluctantly has to be hoominoid
    Show