New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

RogueGuy

Default book of many things background feats

Is it just me or are the new background feat options just terrible power creep? Free LUCKY or ALERT at player creation (with very good proficiencies) is silly.

The options of magic initiate, skilled, or tough were bad enough, but this is borderline egregious.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: book of many things background feats

Quote Originally Posted by da newt View Post
    Is it just me or are the new background feat options just terrible power creep?
    Yes. The book is banned at my table.
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

Yeah I don't like it, and ban backgrounds that give feats. I'd rather just give everyone a free feat at level 1 if that's something players want (and is appropriate for my campaign). IMO the temptation of a free feat is too strong and has a corrosive effect on roleplay since it effectively removes most backgrounds (and player choices) from available options.
    Last edited by Mastikator; 2024-03-14 at 04:04 AM.
    Black text is for sarcasm, also sincerity. You'll just have to read between the lines and infer from context like an animal

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

I would assume/hope that any games in which feats give benefits (whether that's spell lists or feats) would be universally available/applicable to all characters, so even if it's 'power creep' everyone is crept equally.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

Master Homebrew Index (5e)

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

RogueGuy

"I would assume/hope that any games in which feats give benefits (whether that's spell lists or feats) would be universally available/applicable to all characters, so even if it's 'power creep' everyone is crept equally."

If I understand what you're getting at, no only some backgrounds grant feats and their benefits (much like only VHuman and Custom Lineage grant 'free' feats), but also yeah every Player has the option to choose the juiced-up backgrounds or races in order to gain 'extra' feats so I guess that makes it fair?

I can't speak for every table/group but Adventurer's League allows Players to choose the new backgrounds with ALERT and LUCKY or other non-feat granting backgrounds also get to add magic initiate / tough / skilled, and all Players can choose VHuman or CL in order to have 2 feats at level 1 for minimal cost. Personally, I don't like the power creep, but that's just my personal preference. There isn't enough of a cost for these added benefits to balance with the other races and backgrounds IMO. It's almost uncommon to see PCs that don't start w/ CL and a half feat for 18 in their primary STAT and a second bonus feat too. The grumpy old dude in me doesn't like that ...

6. - Top - End - #6
    Bugbear in the Playground

DrowGirl

I can't speak for every table/group but Adventurer's League allows Players to choose the new backgrounds with ALERT and LUCKY or other non-feat granting backgrounds also get to add magic initiate / tough / skilled, and all Players can choose VHuman or CL in order to have 2 feats at level 1 for minimal cost. Personally, I don't like the power creep, but that's just my personal preference. There isn't enough of a cost for these added benefits to balance with the other races and backgrounds IMO. It's almost uncommon to see PCs that don't start w/ CL and a half feat for 18 in their primary STAT and a second bonus feat too. The grumpy old dude in me doesn't like that ...
    I agree; I really hate TCL - and I think a feat at first level should be a universal rule! I just hate that it gets attached to a particular race option. Especially as bland and uninspired as "Custom Lineage."

If I were to run my own game/table, banning vhuman and TCL and giving everyone a bonus feat at first would be literally the first rule I'd implement.

I'm not a fan of backgrounds giving feats. Feats are so significant and of varying value to each class, I just feel like it's gonna end up like "all barbarians are pirates" and "all wizards are merchants," just to pick up the mechanically optimized feat.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Spamalot in the Playground

Is it just me or are the new background feat options just terrible power creep? Free LUCKY or ALERT at player creation (with very good proficiencies) is silly.

The options of magic initiate, skilled, or tough were bad enough, but this is borderline egregious.
    Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    Yes. The book is banned at my table.
    Not only will all of these be level 1 feats in the new PHB, but Lucky, Alert, and Magic Initiate all got buffed relative to 2014.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

8. - Top - End - #8
    Orc in the Playground

Why are there Background options in this product?

I saw the higher priced alt cover package in a local game store, and I thought it was more a Goodman game style product, in which one receives a physical Deck of Many Things with a new expansion, and a book that detailed the history of the Book of Many Things.

The impression I received was the ‘history’ being talked about was the actual design history similar to the Goodman Game series….
    …..but apparently there are creature statblocks and PC Backgrounds, as well?

What is this product? (I am confused, and now a little intrigued)

9. - Top - End - #9
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    Not only will all of these be level 1 feats in the new PHB, but Lucky, Alert, and Magic Initiate all got buffed relative to 2014.
    2014 Level 1 Alert: +5 Initiative, Can't be Surprised, Unseen enemies don't have Advantage against you
    1D&D Level 1 Alert: +2 Initiative, You can swap Initiative with an ally

How is this a buff??? You have to be level 13 in 1D&D to match the Initiative bonus the 2014 Alert gives you at level 1. And you're not immune to Surprise, and don't gain the benefit against Invisible enemies.

Same with Lucky. It's only a buff once you reach level 9, but also it never gives you Super-Advantage, so is it even a buff?

Seems EXTREMELY generous to call these "buffs".

10. - Top - End - #10
    Dwarf in the Playground

DrowGuy

In 5.5, the background feature is replaced with a first level feat, so this appears to be in line with that. For 5.5, I’ll just go customized background and take whatever first level feat I want. But yeah, I suppose if you’re sticking with 5.0, one could consider these two backgrounds OP’d.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Samurai View Post
    2014 Level 1 Alert: +5 Initiative, Can't be Surprised, Unseen enemies don't have Advantage against you
    1D&D Level 1 Alert: +2 Initiative, You can swap Initiative with an ally

How is this a buff???.
    Because it makes you go first every time. It could be -100 Initiative and you'd still go first every time.

It is never a penalty to have your team decide who gets to go first even if it makes someone on your team go last. It is only an advantage, an enormous one.

This is one of the strongest feats ever printed. I say this with decades of experience in RPGs that already had this mechanic.
    Last edited by DarknessEternal; 2024-03-15 at 10:20 AM.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

RogueGuy

The ship has sailed. With Strickhaven I believe, though one could make the argument that it started leaving port with Ravnica. Either ban all recent backgrounds, or let people who choose PHB backgrounds to choose from a curated list of feats. When you're curating your list, take it into account that, so far, from most of the feats that have been given, though some of them are quite powerful, none is "build-defining", and none are half-feats. I'd still leave those to V. Human and Custom Lineage.
    Last edited by diplomancer; 2024-03-15 at 02:14 PM.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by DarknessEternal View Post
    Because it makes you go first every time. It could be -100 Initiative and you'd still go first every time.

It is never a penalty to have your team decide who gets to go first even if it makes someone on your team go last. It is only an advantage, an enormous one.

This is one of the strongest feats ever printed. I say this with decades of experience in RPGs that already had this mechanic.
    First among allies. And only if they agree. If an enemy rolls 2 higher than anyone in the group then they go first and if they are attacking from stealth then you are surprised. In 2014 you might still go first if they ambush you from a hidden position. That is some spiderman level stuff.
    Black text is for sarcasm, also sincerity. You'll just have to read between the lines and infer from context like an animal

14. - Top - End - #14

What DarknessEternal said.

As for Lucky, it's on par as early as 5, before pulling ahead at 9.
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

15. - Top - End - #15

Because it makes you go first every time.
    If an ally agrees.

So you lose more than double the bonus to Initiative, and now it requires that you delegate an ally to take a lower spot to make sure you're high up on the order (assuming someone rolls high).

And you can still be surprised.

If you get to the be the star every time and others agree to move down the Initiative order for you, more power to you.
    No one put forth it was a penalty.

You could do this kind of stuff without a feat in previous editions. Gutting the feat and adding this feature in is shrug-inducing.
    Seems like it would be annoying to have someone plead to swap places every time.

You want to use your feat for a +5 bonus to Initiative? Awesome. You want to use your feat to harass everyone else to go lower on Initiative so you can move up in Initiative? Not so awesome.

@Psyren: Lucky just grants Advantage, so it can't be on a par with the old version.

16. - Top - End - #16

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Samurai View Post
    Seems like it would be annoying to have someone plead to swap places every time.
    At our table, when we playtested this feat, we had a discussion at the start of the adventure about who needed to go early in the order and who needed to go late. It made the conversations a lot easier when it came time to roll initiative.
    We don't need no steeeenkin' signatures!

17. - Top - End - #17

Quote Originally Posted by GooeyChewie View Post
    At our table, when we playtested this feat, we had a discussion at the start of the adventure about who needed to go early in the order and who needed to go late. It made the conversations a lot easier when it came time to roll initiative.
    Yes, you pick the perfect order every time. It's busted.

18. - Top - End - #18

PaladinGuy

I won't deny that swapping initiative is very handy. But I wouldn't call it picking the perfect order every time, nor would I say it is busted. I suppose if enough members of your party take the feat, you can choose the order within your own party. But that's a fairly significant investment, and it doesn't let you bypass the enemy initiative.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

Just wait until the DM starts deploying NPCs who have it :)
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

20. - Top - End - #20

Quote Originally Posted by GooeyChewie View Post
    Yeah that makes sense. But given all of the opinions on the best way to approach combat, I can see this being an issue at some tables.
    Are you assuming that everyone grabs this feat?

21. - Top - End - #21
    Troll in the Playground

DruidGuy

Yeah backgrounds have been disgusting powercreep ever since Ravnica, they made a huge mistake adding mechanical power outside of skills into them.

As for the whole new Alert thing:

It's not an upgrade at all. It's a complete downgrade and considering that they made it a 1st level feat, I'd assume their intention was to nerf it. likewise, if something is based off prof bonus and you need to be 9th or higher for it to even be equal to the original, it isn't better. Higher level D&D isn't common enough to make that matter regardless of what the duration per level is on paper.

As for the whole Alert thing:

Saying it let's you always go first or choose the initiative is like when folks say that the Peace Cleric let's everyone share one big HP pool, it just isn't true. The new Alert gives you flexibility with initiative, but you aren't going first unless you have an ally who wins initiative and wants to let you take their place. Heck, you can't even say you can choose your own team's initiative unless multiple party members take the feat.

It just isn't as good as being claimed here and it certainly isn't better than the existing Alert.
    For D&D 5e Builds, Tips, News and more see our Youtube Channel Dork Forge

Feel free to message for any build requests or challenges

22. - Top - End - #22
    Dwarf in the Playground

DrowGuy

Won’t be taking 5.5 Alert. Avoiding surprise was the main draw.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah nah, I cant say i'm a fan of free feats at level 1 either tied to background or no. I'm totally in favor of everyone being able to trade their +2 for a feat though.
    Roll for it
    5e Houserules and Homebrew
    Old Extended Signature
    Awesome avatar by Ceika

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dork_Forge View Post
    Yeah backgrounds have been disgusting powercreep ever since Ravnica, they made a huge mistake adding mechanical power outside of skills into them.
    Serious question but aside from the 'tradition' of "what we already had from 2014", what's the difference between
    "This background gives you two skills of your choice"
    and
    "This background gives you two skills of your choice plus one feat from this list"

Either way they're tying power to your background.

I can understand wanting backgrounds to not have anything save for your chosen feature (even if Outlander is typically better than all the rest of them), but I don't see the argument for "Two skills from background GOOD, two skills and feat from background BAD".

Ravnica's background spell lists were bad because they benefited spellcasters but not non-spellcasters, causing an inherent imbalance in it, unless everyone in the game was a caster (which, granted, probably not hard to do in 5e). The feats? Eh.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

25. - Top - End - #25

HalflingWizardGirl

Lightbulb Re: book of many things background feats

Quote Originally Posted by Amnestic View Post
    Serious question but aside from the 'tradition' of "what we already had from 2014", what's the difference between
    and
    "This background gives you two skills of your choice plus one feat from this list"

I can understand wanting backgrounds to not have anything save for your chosen feature (even if Outlander is typically better than all the rest of them), but I don't see the argument for "Two skills from background GOOD, two skills and feat from background BAD".

Ravnica's background spell lists were bad because they benefited spellcasters but not non-spellcasters, causing an inherent imbalance in it, unless everyone in the game was a caster (which, granted, probably not hard to do in 5e). The feats? Eh.
    I suspect it’s that while all books with feat-granting backgrounds tell the DM to allow PCs with non-feat backgrounds a free 1st-level feat, in practice those books usually limit said bonus feat for the OG backgrounds to Skilled and Tough, two of the most mediocre feats in the game, so even if the playing field is nominally leveled, in practice the background-granted feats are the superior choice.

Fun Fact: the BoMT’s Ruined background is particularly egregious in that in can grant Alert at 1st level, even the Dragonlance module, which grants bonus feats, limits that particular feat to 4th level at the earliest.

26. - Top - End - #26

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Amnestic View Post
    and

"This background gives you two skills of your choice" isn't inherently bad. "This background gives you two skills of your choice plus one feat from this list" isn't inherently bad. But when you have both "this background gives you two skills of your choice" and "this background gives you two skills of your choice plus one feat from this list," the latter is clearly more powerful. Thus, power creep.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

I consider 2014 Alert and 5.5 Alert to be more or less equal in power, Lucky though? that's been nerfed hard.
    Wanna try the homebrew system me and my friends play? It was developed by a friend of mine and all you need to play is found here

28. - Top - End - #28

Quote Originally Posted by lall View Post
    Won’t be taking 5.5 Alert. Avoiding surprise was the main draw.
    5.5 Surprise is very different; it's just advantage/disadvantage on the initiative roll, no more inability to take actions or reactions on your first turn. 2014 Alert's surprise immunity is thus no longer necessary.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

29. - Top - End - #29
    Dwarf in the Playground

DrowGuy

Ah, thanks Psyren. So the 5.0 trick of elf (trance) + Alert to avoid surprise in 5.5 is just elf. I didn’t see Aspect of the Moon in any of the 5.5 stuff.

30. - Top - End - #30

RangerGuy

It’s pretty clearly designed with the new edition in mind and balanced to that.

It’s a bit strong for most 5e games