New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Post Best common table canon? Best rules to use, source guide, common tweaks/homebrew?

I'm in the process of putting together a 4e campaign, and I'm going to be compiling everything I can into a private player reference. I know there are a few iterations of some powers, monster mechanics, skill challenges, with varying opinions on which work better. I'm only operating with my physical books, and I plan to comprehensively compile the classes in one viable structure, so I need to be able to retcon the descriptive texts into one unified chapter progression for character creation. (I'm also planning to explore homebrew when I feel it needed, so the more I understand the system, the better.) That means including consideration for all the later mechanics, like themes, and balance considerations thereof.

Which books hold the best versions of rules? How many iterations of magic missile are there, and is there any benefit to including them as different choices? What's the best monster stat construction, and what other pitfalls are there to look out for when condensing all the mechanics in one place? Any basic tweaks that everybody does? Or common/trusted homebrew sources, or decent 3rd party?

In particular, I'm planning an Eberron game, with a mostly-serious tone established from session 0. I want the campaign to grow organically, with a comprehensive lore codex backing me up on how to fill in the details when I don't have major elements already prepared/known.

Appreciate all the help anyone can give.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Best common table canon? Best rules to use, source guide, common tweaks/homebrew?

Quote Originally Posted by RedWarlock View Post
    Which books hold the best versions of rules?
    The PHB1 is the one with the best and most-playtested rules. You'll just have to import the expertise feats, and certain classes (e.g. Paladin) need their Foo Power book to have enough power choices. I would ignore the DMG1, which doesn't contain rules so much as it contains DM'ing advice which you can get from plenty of other places.
    The best iteration of SC is to just run skill encounters exactly like you would in any other RPG, and then call them an "SC"; so that's another reason not to use DMG.
    I'd add PHB2 for some additional classes, but almost none of the splatbooks contains any base rules worth mentioning, until the reboot in 4.5.

How many iterations of magic missile are there, and is there any benefit to including them as different choices?
    I think three. There is some value in including the autohit version (from HOFK) for the sake of diversity, but frankly it's not very good.

What's the best monster stat construction
    MM3.
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Best common table canon? Best rules to use, source guide, common tweaks/homebrew?

Quote Originally Posted by Kurald Galain View Post
    The best iteration of SC is to just run skill encounters exactly like you would in any other RPG, and then call them an "SC"; so that's another reason not to use DMG.
    So, so true.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurald Galain View Post
    I think three. There is some value in including the autohit version (from HOFK) for the sake of diversity, but frankly it's not very good.
    PHB1 magic missile was roll to hit, then errattaed to autohit in "an effort to restore the power to its classical form." HotFL added the evocation keyword and changed the fluff. The original version is the most optimizable because, IIRC, it had an attack roll and a damage roll.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

It is hard to get the one to six extra six dice of crit damage from a magical implement if you can't crit with a power.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

There was a pretty common (I think? I've seen it used, at least, on some tables) house rule about allowing the "mathematic correction feats" to be free for the players.

Like, a free expertise feat of choice at start/during heroic (like... lvl 3 and over? I don't remember when it mathematically start the divergence) and a free improved defense @ paragon.

I also think that the Magic Item Compendium was a good resource to "extend" the default and a little bit lacking base magic item list
    I'm from Italy. So,sorry for my bad English!

Thanks A LOT to Nevitan for the fantastic Avatar!

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Moak View Post
    There was a pretty common (I think? I've seen it used, at least, on some tables) house rule about allowing the "mathematic correction feats" to be free for the players.

Like, a free expertise feat of choice at start/during heroic (like... lvl 3 and over? I don't remember when it mathematically start the divergence) and a free improved defense @ paragon.

I also think that the Magic Item Compendium was a good resource to "extend" the default and a little bit lacking base magic item list
    I seem to remember on the WotC forums I used to see versatile expertise at 5th and improved defences at 7th.