New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kobold

Default How to jump to the moon in PF1e

Yeah, I got this idea from another thread. So, the DC to jump straight to the moon is a minimum of... 356000 * 4, which is...

But, where there's a will, there's a way! So, here we go.

We're going to choose Wyvaran as our race, with Vestigal Wings, for the Acrobatics bonus. Now, since they get a +2 DEX and +2 WIS, we're going to choose Ranger as our class, for the synergy with these bonuses.
    Here are our skill ranks + stat layout:

STR 10 / DEX 19 / CON 11 / INT 8 / WIS 16 / CHA 7

Skills:
    Acrobatics
    Knowledge (planes)
    Jump

Since we get 10 feats over the course of 20 levels, I'm going to pump all those into jumping really, really high, and we'll take 12 levels of Ranger for max Jump bonus as well as the Burst of Speed spell. We'll also take some levels of Ninja for Ninja Tricks, two of which caught my eye:
    Acrobatic Master (Su) (Ultimate Combat pg. 14): As a swift action, a ninja with this trick can focus her ki to grant her a +20 bonus on one Acrobatics check of her choice made before the start of her next turn. Using this ability expends 1 ki point from her ki pool.

PFS Legal High Jumper (Ex) (Ultimate Combat pg. 15): When a ninja with this trick makes a high jump, the DC for that jump is half the normal DC. The ninja must have the acrobatic master trick before taking this talent.

We'll take four levels for two tricks. Lastly, we need more movement, so we'll dump the last 4 levels into Monk (Unchained).
    Feats:
    Jumper, because our creature type is Dragon (always have running start)
    Run for more jump (+4 after run)
    Wind Leaper (activate for rounds, +1/2 Planes ranks to acro)

Traits:
    Cliff Jumper (+1 acro)

and I couldn't find anything more, but we need the following magic items:
    Boots of Striding and Springing (+5 acro, +10 ft)

So what does that all add up too? I'm sure I've forgotten something, but here we go:
    50 feet speed, for +8 acro
    Vestigal Wings, +2 acro
    20 ranks acro (+3), +23 acro
    Burst of speed + 10 speed, +4 acro
    Jump +30 acro
    Cliff Jumper +1 acro
    Boots + 5 acro, +4 acro from speed
    Acrobatic master + 20
    20 ranks Knowledge (planes) for +10 acro (wind leaper)
    High jump DC/2

for a total of...
    DC 712800
    Max jump height 8+2+23+4+30+1+20+10 = +98 jump, or 24.5 feet on a 1. We can jump extremely high, Mario style, but can't quite get it. But odds are, I forgot something.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: How to jump to the moon in PF1e

The jump DC modifier for faster base movement includes the text ' No jump can allow you to exceed your maximum movement for the round.' So jumping to the moon would first require sufficient movement speed to make the journey in a single round.

You're probably going to have to use some sort of recursive loop to set that up.
    I am rel.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

What you need here is the Cheetah's Sprint spell (which is also conveniently on the ranger's list) which multiplies your speed by 10, and accordingly gives a ludicrous bonus to jump checks.
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by rel View Post
    The jump DC modifier for faster base movement includes the text ' No jump can allow you to exceed your maximum movement for the round.' So jumping to the moon would first require sufficient movement speed to make the journey in a single round.

You're probably going to have to use some sort of recursive loop to set that up.
    Wouldn't it just take, oh, I don't know, 17820 rounds? Or 1782 minutes? Or 29.2 hours? They're all the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurald Galain View Post
    What you need here is the Cheetah's Sprint spell (which is also conveniently on the ranger's list) which multiplies your speed by 10, and accordingly gives a ludicrous bonus to jump checks.
    Oh, wow! I'll check that out.

Checked out. Wow, it's good!

5. - Top - End - #5
    Pixie in the Playground

What distance did you take for your DC? The 356.000 seem to be kilometers and AFAIK you need feet - which would be somewhere around 1.2 billion.
    On the other hand there may be a little upside as you only need to jump about 85% of the distance past the L1 Lagrange point between Earth and Moon and let gravity take the rest of the work ...

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Curse View Post
    What distance did you take for your DC? The 356.000 seem to be kilometers and AFAIK you need feet - which would be somewhere around 1.2 billion.
    On the other hand there may be a little upside as you only need to jump about 85% of the distance past the L1 Lagrange point between Earth and Moon and let gravity take the rest of the work ...
    Oh, whoops. Guess I screwed up a fair bit. Thanks!

7. - Top - End - #7
    Firbolg in the Playground

The easy answer is find a table that uses critical success for skills, then just jump 20 times.
    If my text is blue, I'm being sarcastic.But you already knew that, right?

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

The Mythic power Seven-League Leap would allow you to do it successively, so long as you were able to bring or create a platform in midair which would allow you to run for 1 minute after "landing" somewhere in space. Notably this also removes the "you can't jump further than your move speed" restriction entirely.

More levels in Ninja also makes things easier. Remember that at level 10 with Ninja they get the ability to halve the DC of Acrobatics checks to jump by spending a Ki point. This makes the check twice as easy, and far outweighs any static +1s or 2s you get from other classes. It's kinda hard to beat a +600,000,000 bonus to Jump.
    Last edited by Rynjin; 2024-03-20 at 05:45 PM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rynjin View Post
    More levels in Ninja also makes things easier. Remember that at level 10 with Ninja they get the ability to halve the DC of Acrobatics checks to jump by spending a Ki point. This makes the check twice as easy, and far outweighs any static +1s or 2s you get from other classes. It's kinda hard to beat a +600,000,000 bonus to Jump.
    Is that a different one than the high jumper from the OP or do they stack? If they stacked we would be at around 300,000 ... Wow

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Curse View Post
    Is that a different one than the high jumper from the OP or do they stack? If they stacked we would be at around 300,000 ... Wow
    It's a separate ability. The Ki Pool ability to give a bonus to Acrobatics upgrades to halving the DC at level 10. They do stack, as they are a separate ability and do not share a bonus type, being not a bonus at all.

Ninjas no fly, jump good.
    Last edited by Rynjin; 2024-03-20 at 07:23 PM.