New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default Feeling Ashamed and Amused

In a game session I just finished I broke my own cardinal rule. Playing Pathfinder 1E I cast an AOE spell that included party members and I didn't ask permission. I know. I know. Give me the boos. We're 13th level in magical darkness surrounded by swarms. No question there were other things I could have done playing an Arcanist with the spells I had. Dimension Door. Anti-Magic Field. Dispel Magic wouldn't work because I couldn't see the target of the Darkness spell. I didn't have Greater Dispel Magic prepared, but I would use Quick Study later in the combat once I was in light to switch a spell to get it. Maybe something else, but I was just in game fun mad at the situation and regressed to the most basic spellcaster response - Fireball everything.

It worked. All the swarms were dead. Party members weren't hurt too badly, and I was ground zero so had to make the saving throw as well taking damage. It felt so good casting Fireball in that situation. The other players were not mad at me. Only the fighter failed his save. I said I owed him two beers, and the player was laughing along. This was my pre Virus Apocalypse Pathfinder group reunited. Everyone knew it wasn't out of malice or player vs player, but still, I did it. Later I was able to cast Greater Dispel Magic to get rid of the magical darkness without needing to know its source. As it was the area effect version it also got rid of the fighter's Enlarge Person he buffed himself with a potion. Now I owed him a dinner. Again he was fine with it and happy because getting rid of the darkness was important.

Sometimes when you're playing in a group where you're all sympatico you can break the rules for the greater good. Everyone understands and approves the need or why you did it. Cherish those gaming groups. It just feels weird that this time I'm the one to do it, me of all people.
    Quote Originally Posted by OvisCaedo View Post
    Rules existing are a dire threat to the divine power of the DM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

smile Re: Feeling Ashamed and Amused

Hello Pex.
    I've seen quite a few of your posts on the forum, and I think I got a fairly decent idea about the way you approach gaming, and gaming groups in particular.

I mention this, because I think I understand your group. The cardinal rule is "Don't be a jerk, respect and be considerate to others, and try to enhance the fun of the entire group". This is the basis of any good relationship, and gaming groups as well- Trust. If you act like this consistently, then your friends will enables quite a few shenanigans and "deviations" from the norm. Because they trust your intentions, they trust you consider their enjoyment as well, and so they will trust your actions.

This is true to being a DM as well. Once the group truly trusts you, a DM can introduce very outlandish/ non standard ideas, concepts and rules to the game, even if at first they may seem offensive or questionable.

It is hard to build that trust, and you can't fake it. But once achieved, it makes for a far more relaxed, splendid and fun gaming experience.

Or in other words- it is BECAUSE you as a gamer feel ashamed to have done this, is the reason why none of the other players accept this, and even indulge and enjoy this. Sounds like an excellent gaming group! Keep it!

1. Special projects:
    Campaign logs archive, Campaign planning log, Tactical mass combat Homebrew, A unique monsters compendium.
    2. My campaign logs:
    Three from a GM's POV, One from a player's POV. Very detailed, including design and GMing discussions.
    3. Various roleplay and real life musings and anecdotes:
    For those interested, from serious to funny!

Thanks for reading!