New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: OOTS #1300 - The Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by The MunchKING View Post
    I hope the Paladins are situationally aware enough to Lay on hands Sunny without knowing what's going on in the battle.
    I feel confident they will. They have every reason to help Sunny (they're Lawful Good, they're paladins, they're reasonable people, they've got nothing else to do, they're stuck without her help, she's their ally, she's a child, O-Chul gets along with at least one other monster) and no compelling reason not to.
    Last edited by Bird; 2024-03-22 at 04:08 AM.

2. - Top - End - #122
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bird View Post
    I feel confident they will. They have every reason to help Sunny (they're Lawful Good, they're paladins, they're reasonable people, they've got nothing else to do, they're stuck without her help, she's their ally, she's a child, O-Chul gets along with at least one other monster) and no compelling reason not to.
    Yeah, pretty much. And yeah, that fight was become too easy for the Order. Good think Calder is resourceful and can adapt on the fly to the challenges of the battle. As do all good fighters in OotS.
    VC XV, The horsemen are drawing nearer: The Alien and the Omen (part 1 and part 2).
    VC XVI, Burn baby burn:Nero
    VC XVIII, This is Heresy! Torquemada
    VC XX, Elder Evil: Henry Bowyer

And a repository of deliciously absurd sentences produced by maddened optimisers in my extended signature

3. - Top - End - #123
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by remetagross View Post
    Yeah, pretty much. And yeah, that fight was become too easy for the Order. Good think Calder is resourceful and can adapt on the fly to the challenges of the battle. As do all good fighters in OotS.
    Fighters?! Calder can manipulate thermodynamic differentials with his fingers, like a normal person, thank you very much!

4. - Top - End - #124
    Dwarf in the Playground

NinjaGuy

confused Re: OOTS #1300 - The Discussion Thread

Hello what if what if Calder thinks he can remove the polymorph from Bloodfeast The Extreme-inator and dominate its mind and then what happens
    Last edited by Blue Dragon; 2024-03-22 at 06:55 AM.

"I have no feelings on viewing you. You are largely irrelevant."
    "Yeah, a lot of that early stuff doesn't hold up"
    "Yeah, Yeah. You're a very clever boy."
    "…My reasons are my own."

5. - Top - End - #125
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ghosty View Post
    Sunny's Eye is closed because it probably hurts like hell after getting thwacked by a dragon tail. Like not getting your glove up in time, and taking a baseball or softball off your face.
    Hmm, we did not see if Sunny was a good outfielder during the baseball scene with Elan.
    Quote Originally Posted by DreamCreator View Post
    Maybe she will actually DO something now
    Being out of the AMF, her wands ought to work now.
    Quote Originally Posted by DreamCreator View Post
    I see a double-halfling rage getting activated soon, like next strip. Everyone's gotta protect their kids. Belkar will activate in defense of Bloodfeast. Serini will activate to defend Sunny. HALFLING ATTACK!!!!!
    Like Merry and Pippin going after the Uruk Hai at the end of Fellowship of the Ring movie? That wasn't very effective.
    Quote Originally Posted by woweedd View Post
    Oh, that would be great as a character moment. The two Halflings, both acting in defense of their non-humanoid friends. One, an Evil SOB who is slowly turning over a less bitter leaf, the other the heart of her group fallen to cynicism and bitterness.
    While that's a nice descriptive of the two, not seeing halfling offensive as being even close to the impact of the paladins arriving on Sunny-back.
    "Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth their throat chomped on by an Allosaur."
    A timely quote, given that Mike Tyson is IRL training for a fight even as we speak. Yes, he is.
    Quote Originally Posted by No good @ names View Post
    I don’t know, Paladins might be into that sort of kinky stuff
    And in Lien's case, have a cigarette afterwards.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mordar View Post
    Nearly bare-donkey nekkid O-Chul was about 0.25 seconds from killing Redcloak with a iron bar he ripped from a cage with his bare hands. Yeah, I think he can lay some hurt on Calder. I bet Lien's spear will work nicely as well. Man, people always doubting the Paladins. - M
    I don't doubt them.
    Quote Originally Posted by enh View Post
    That color and bottle shape have been used uniquely for Heroism in previous strips. Possibly V is about to lay down some smack.
    In strip 0008, healing potion stolen form Belkar and fed to Elan was green.
    Quote Originally Posted by ratfox View Post
    By the way, I love the idea that Sunny is bouncy, and I imagine it sounds like a basketball. I mean he's the right color, so it has to.
    Baseball and basketball, Sunny is a two-sport letterman.
    Last edited by KorvinStarmast; 2024-03-22 at 08:12 AM.
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

6. - Top - End - #126
    Troll in the Playground

HalflingPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Dragon View Post
    Hello what if what if Calder thinks he can remove the polymorph from Bloodfeast The Extreme-inator and dominate its mind and then what happens
    Then Bloodfeast's loyalty to Belkar will be tested.

If Calder orders BF to do something he would normally do, BF will probably do it. If ordered to do something he would normally not do, there are opportunities for BF to make Saving Throws to resist the order or to break the enchantment. Those saves will likely favor Calder for a lot of reasons, mostly having to do with a high level caster vs an attack-trained mount. If Belkar contests Calder for control, Belkar has some serious advantages, beginning with his friendship, Wild Empathy Ranger ability, and his ranks in Animal Handling. And if BF is Belkar's Animal Companion, it gets even better.

So, without actual data, it is hard to calculate. Calder might control the Exterminator, or that plan might just bite him in the... tail.

7. - Top - End - #127
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    A timely quote, given that Mike Tyson is IRL training for a fight.
    I would say Tyson is "training" for a "fight", myself.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

8. - Top - End - #128
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    I would say Tyson is "training" for a "fight", myself.
    Yes...it will be a spectacle, but a fight in the sense of his fights with Holyfield ... not so much.
    Then again, his fight with Carl "The Truth" Williams lasted less than two minutes, as I recall.
    Spoiler: vivid memory
    Show
    I remember watching it as it began (a friend had the fight on, we had a fight party) and all I could say was "Carl, get your left hand up, don't drop your guard" a few times before Tyson's blow landed ... and ended it.
    Last edited by KorvinStarmast; 2024-03-22 at 08:15 AM.
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

9. - Top - End - #129
    Dwarf in the Playground

Thumbs up Re: OOTS #1300 - The Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Dragon View Post
    Tactically it wouldn't make much sense. He would need to dispell the Polymorph first, thus withstand attacks from Bloodfeast for one round, then dominate him. Otherwise Calder would risk dispelling his own spell. The dinosaur is currently inoffensive, so it would be smarter to focus on existing threats, which means Serini and the PCs. Calder might try removing their protections or, if he has overheard Elan discussing Halley's bluff, dominating them directly instead.

Come to think of it, we haven't seen Mimi in the last few seconds. Could she be trying to glue Calder to the floor? The resistance of her glue has been discussed before after all...
    On a fateful evening, I foolishly sworn myself to follow Xykon's updated speech rule ...thing. The twelve gods know that I regretted my decision ...since then ...multiple times.

10. - Top - End - #130
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ruck View Post

I guess it could be an art error, but it's a strange one to make consistently through two strips after having it so consistent in the previous strips.
    In the last 2 strips, the dragon has been on the ground, on his back, tilting his head to look toward the right of the panels. In the previous ones, he was upward and mostly pointed toward the left.
    Maybe that change of overall position of the dragon created some confusion between 1298 and 1299, and it has been repeated since he's been mostly static in the last 2 strips?
    Last edited by Kardwill; 2024-03-22 at 08:56 AM.

11. - Top - End - #131
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by diplomancer View Post
    I got a horrifying image of Calder biting down on Bloodfeast... but as he has his full hit points, it will be more like chewing gum.
    Doing so is a bad idea, since it will end with Calder's teeth broken (panel 3).
    Warhammer 40,000 Campaign Skirmish Game: Warpstrike
    My Spelljammer stuff (including an orbit tracker), 2E AD&D spreadsheet, and Vault of the Drow maps are available in my Dropbox. Feel free to use or not use it as you see fit!
    Thri-Kreen Ranger/Psionicist by me, based off of Rich's A Monster for Every Season

12. - Top - End - #132
    Titan in the Playground

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by Metastachydium View Post
    Calder can also manipulate thermodynamic differentials with his eyes. Which sprung much debates.

13. - Top - End - #133

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Torath View Post
    Doing so is a bad idea, since it will end with Calder's teeth broken (panel 3).
    I don't think that panel means what you think it means.

14. - Top - End - #134

Never surrender!

By Grabthar's Hammer, what a saving throw.
    Heh.

Quote Originally Posted by Tzardok View Post
    Oops, sorry for the typo. That was a fully intentional reference to the German term for rule of thumb, "Faustregel" meaning rule of fist.
    "Thump" works perfectly well as a joke in context: the effect works, or not, depending on whether the target could be thumped by an arrow.

Quote Originally Posted by Wintermoot View Post
    I don't know why, he swallowed that fly - perhaps he'll die
    I know an old dragon who swallowed a V...

Quote Originally Posted by brian 333 View Post
    When is Bloodfest and how does one observe it? Is there an associated phlebotamist's convention?
    Bloodfeast will be simultaneously alive and dead until being observed by opening the dragon.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruck View Post
    And even some sort of reason involving flipping the asset in Illustrator (or whatever Rich uses) doesn't really fly, because whichever direction Calder is facing in #1298, the broken horn is still on his right.

I guess it could be an art error, but it's a strange one to make consistently through two strips after having it so consistent in the previous strips.

If it's supposed to indicate something about Calder, I don't know what.
    "Didn't you... didn't you used to have that on the other side?"

15. - Top - End - #135
    Ogre in the Playground

What hump?

Probably top 10 movies of all time. Sure hope you linked the right one...yup, yup you did.

- M
    No matter where you go...there you are!

Holhokki Tapio - GitP Blood Bowl New Era Season I Champion
    Togashi Ishi - Betrayal at the White Temple
    Da Monsters of Da Midden - GitP Blood Bowl Manager Cup Season V-VI-VII

16. - Top - End - #136
    Ettin in the Playground

I don't think that panel means what you think it means.
    You mean you don't think it means Belkar will see to it that anyone hurting Bloodfeast (including Calder) will never eat solid food again? Because that's what I think that panel means.
    Warhammer 40,000 Campaign Skirmish Game: Warpstrike
    My Spelljammer stuff (including an orbit tracker), 2E AD&D spreadsheet, and Vault of the Drow maps are available in my Dropbox. Feel free to use or not use it as you see fit!
    Thri-Kreen Ranger/Psionicist by me, based off of Rich's A Monster for Every Season

17. - Top - End - #137

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Torath View Post
    You mean you don't think it means Belkar will see to it that anyone hurting Bloodfeast (including Calder) will never eat solid food again? Because that's what I think that panel means.
    Ah, gotcha.

In that case, I don't think your assessment of Belkar's abilities against a red dragon squares up.

Also, ignoring that Calder has already hurt Bloodfeast.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2024-03-22 at 12:05 PM.

18. - Top - End - #138
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

Quote Originally Posted by bunsen_h View Post
    "Thump" works perfectly well as a joke in context: the effect works, or not, depending on whether the target could be thumped by an arrow.
    You got kinda swordsaged (sword dragon-saged? battle dragoned?) on that hardcore:
    Sorry, I meant to say i appreciated it, i just didn't get a round to it earlier.

Exactly. Rule of thump: if an arrow can't go thump against it, the spell doesn't affect it.

19. - Top - End - #139

Quote Originally Posted by Tzardok View Post
    You got kinda swordsaged (sword dragon-saged? battle dragoned?) on that hardcore:
    Hey, I like validation!

20. - Top - End - #140
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kardwill View Post
    In the last 2 strips, the dragon has been on the ground, on his back, tilting his head to look toward the right of the panels. In the previous ones, he was upward and mostly pointed toward the left.
    Yeah. I suspect that the iimages of Calder on his back are flipped horizontally, which is what's causing the flipping of the horns.

Probably top 10 movies of all time. Sure hope you linked the right one...yup, yup you did.
    I've learned to double check links as well. I've run into a couple occasions where someone has quoted something from a classic source, and I've responded talking about it, only to discover they were referencing something newer, which itself was referencing/homaging the original. Sometimes, the quotee isn't aware of this. Which is... awkward.

And.... Now I realize that I haven't clicked the link. We are talking about Young Frankenstein, right?

21. - Top - End - #141
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by gbaji View Post
    I've learned to double check links as well. I've run into a couple occasions where someone has quoted something from a classic source, and I've responded talking about it, only to discover they were referencing something newer, which itself was referencing/homaging the original. Sometimes, the quotee isn't aware of this. Which is... awkward.

And.... Now I realize that I haven't clicked the link. We are talking about Young Frankenstein, right?
    Wait...there was a *young* Frankenstein?

Yes, absolutely. Kind of a strange version of the clip though...seems to have a lot of ambient noise.

- M

22. - Top - End - #142

DrowGuy

Ah, gotcha.

In that case, I don't think your assessment of Belkar's abilities against a red dragon squares up.

Also, ignoring that Calder has already hurt Bloodfeast.
    Calder's hurt BF, sure, but only to the point of normal battle damage so far. If it ended there I'd give Belkar a 30% chance of writing the scar off as a badass marker and asking if the clerics can heal the HP while preserving it.

Eating or seriously injuring him is a different matter entirely.

I do agree with your assessment of Belkar's retributive capacity in this case though.
    "Thursdays. I could never get the hang of Thursdays."-Arthur Dent, The Hitchhiker's Guide

"I had a normal day once. It was a Thursday." -Will Bailey, The West Wing

Roy will be Xykon's Final Boss

23. - Top - End - #143
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    Yes...it will be a spectacle, but a fight in the sense of his fights with Holyfield ... not so much.
    Then again, his fight with Carl "The Truth" Williams lasted less than two minutes, as I recall.
    Spoiler: vivid memory
    Show
    I remember watching it as it began (a friend had the fight on, we had a fight party) and all I could say was "Carl, get your left hand up, don't drop your guard" a few times before Tyson's blow landed ... and ended it.
    Professional, albeit old, boxer vs whatever Jake Paul is. Tyson 'should' be devastating. One/two combinations against someone not similarly trained, and this fight would be over. As it would if, e.g., Floyd Meriwether or Oscar De La Hoya were Paul's opponent. But that wouldn't be entertaining.

Even older professional athletes in person often seem otherworldly with just how fast they can move and how strong and precise they are.

All I was doing with the quote was agreeing that Calder probably vowed to never submit again, but pain (like the pain of having a dinosaur grab your windpipe) has a way of changing minds.

He needs to live for a bit, anyway, as I'm sure he has a few bon mots to reveal about Serini, the Scribble, the Gates, and the Snarl. Who knows what he learned from those he mind-controlled? Maybe we can learn a bit more about V, V's omnicide, and how that is or isn't working out?

Can't wait.

24. - Top - End - #144
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sky_Schemer View Post
    Clearly, the image of him with the right horn broken was an illusion, and Sunny's anti-magic ray suppressed it so now we see that it's really his left horn that is broken.
    No, no, no. He has a twin sister with the horn broken on the other side (represented in the drawings) who will then show up after the Order defeats Calder. (And spends all their consumables and spells in the process.)

There's a modded fight with multiple dragons on the Baldur's Gate series that plays out that way, much later on. *Very* surprising at the time. Great fun. (Lol)

But seriously, I think it's an art issue.

25. - Top - End - #145
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRogueGirl

A yet-unsaid possibility is that the next strip could involve Calder give Belkar a deal.

Turn against your allies or I eat the lizard. This offer stands for the next six seconds.
    Last edited by Resileaf; 2024-03-22 at 01:26 PM.

26. - Top - End - #146
    Ogre in the Playground

Professional, albeit old, boxer vs whatever Jake Paul is. Tyson 'should' be devastating. One/two combinations against someone not similarly trained, and this fight would be over. As it would if, e.g., Floyd Meriwether or Oscar De La Hoya were Paul's opponent. But that wouldn't be entertaining.
    Eh, he's legitimately trained. Doesn't mean he has talent or ability, but he seems to continuously improve. Doesn't mean I don't wanna see Iron Mike make him his...

Quote Originally Posted by Resileaf View Post
    A yet-unsaid possibility is that the next strip could involve Calder give Belkar a deal.

Turn against your allies or I eat the lizard. This offer stands for the next six seconds.
    Nah, Belkar would just carve it back out of him...or do the Agent K thing. "I really like this [lizard]".

- M

27. - Top - End - #147

I just ran across an old Heinlein quotation that seems apropos:
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Heinlein
    This sad little lizard told me that he was a brontosaurus on his mother's side. I did not laugh; people who boast of ancestry often have little else to sustain them. Humoring them costs nothing and adds happiness in a world in which happiness is always in short supply.

Wait...there was a *young* Frankenstein?

Yes, absolutely. Kind of a strange version of the clip though...seems to have a lot of ambient noise.
    I couldn't find a better clip, unfortunately. From the shakiness and the giggle near the end, I get the impression that it came from someone videorecording a viewing of the movie.

He needs to live for a bit, anyway, as I'm sure he has a few bon mots to reveal about Serini, the Scribble, the Gates, and the Snarl. Who knows what he learned from those he mind-controlled? Maybe we can learn a bit more about V, V's omnicide, and how that is or isn't working out?
    The domination doesn't give him telepathic access to the memories and thoughts of his subjects, does it? Though no doubt he'd be able to learn from his subjects by telling them to give him their information, to the extent that he bothered. (They're just minions; do they have anything to contribute to his plans beyond obeying his orders? Etc.)
    Last edited by bunsen_h; 2024-03-22 at 02:43 PM.

28. - Top - End - #148
    Orc in the Playground

Prediction ---Blood feast will die.
    A little character development flashback will follow.
    Belkar will sacrifice himself to kill Mr. Dragon.
    Gets kicked over to the slightly less than chaotic evil afterlife.

29. - Top - End - #149

Ten gold on "Belkar doesn't die in this fight".

30. - Top - End - #150
    Dwarf in the Playground

I'm almost willing to bet on the longshot - Belkar dying in this fight and being revived.
    On a fateful evening, I foolishly sworn myself to follow Xykon's updated speech rule ...thing. The twelve gods know that I regretted my decision ...since then ...multiple times.