New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Magic the Gathering Red Blue White classes

Hey

I enjoy playing Magic the Gathering and DnD.
    I tend to play Red, white, and blue colors the most.

Based off the colors philosophy for red, white and blue what DnD classes/subclasses best match that combination?

I'm not talking about the Jeskai Way. Im specifically refering to those 3 individual colors philosophies as a whole together

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Magic the Gathering Red Blue White classes

Well if you're going Jesk- Oh.

Anyway, I think White represents order, blue represent logic, and red is like chaos, right? The opposing red and blue/white is actually hard to justify at times.

Red White is definitely paladin to me, like one of the more violent varieties like Vengeance. Maybe a simple method of tempering it with some blue would be a raid that gives common abilities in blue like "bouncing" or teleporting. Maybe a Shadar Kai.

Another option might be Watcher's Paladin. It's a paladin with a bunch of useful blue like spells, like Counterspell and Banishment.
    Avatar of Rudisplork Avatar of PC-dom and Slayer of the Internet. Extended sig
    GitP Regulars as: Vestiges Spells Weapons Races Deities Feats Soulmelds/Veils
    Quote Originally Posted by Darrin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowbluff View Post
    All gaming systems should be terribly flawed and exploitable if you want everyone to be happy with them. This allows for a wide variety of power levels for games for different levels of players.
    I dub this the Snowbluff Axiom.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

Dang, only one reply late and someone already gave you the perfect answer.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Looking over legendary creatures, monk and wizard are fairly well represented,
    Enemy colors tend to integrate in chaotic fashion
    White is alot about community and order, while Red is alot about passion and chaos
    White-Red tends towards action hero archetypes and variations of extremism, for example

Passion is probably the key to the combination, the desires for personal perfection (blue), disciplined order(white), and self-expression (red).

To touch on the Jeskai briefly this manifests as a community striving for enlightenment, but recognizing that that means a variety of things to different people.

Monk, Wizard, Bard, and Paladin all fit the combination well to varying degrees. Artificer too if you use them.

We can also note the absence of colors, green and black
    This complicates druid and ranger, as green's respect for the natural order cuts close to them.
    I would also include Warlock for similar reasons related to black, even if power hunger isn't a strict requirement it helps alot.

Then suporting all 3 colors, since some classes support 2 well but not a third
    Blue and Red but not white - rogue
    White and Red but not blue - barbarian, cleric, sorcerer
    Although get creative with it in this aspect, especially with unusual clerics and sorcerers

And the last is fighter, which works fine with about every color combination, since everyone needs people good at hitting stuff.
    My sig is something witty.

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground

PirateCaptain

I did a quick search in Gatherer for RWU legends, and the one truly unique idea it gave me comes from the inspiration/fluff of Ikoria's coastal area of Raugrin and its dinosaurs. In your place, I would explore the feeling of being the defender of sun, sea, and sky via drakewarden ranger with some sort of arcane initiate feat or flying race to give a more magical/wind vibe that blue mana can bring. I love my pet classes, and setting green aside from the ranger to see what's still there would be fun for me to try out.

Other than that, I'm seeing and feeling artificer or a goodhearted-but-martial warforged as another less-explored options that RWU seems to lean on during MTG's different delves into that wedge. Of course: Monks are the best represented during that search, but you also see a lot of good aligned/diversely-prepped wizards as well as knights with a mystical bent to them. I think everyone's suggestions have been strong so far: this is a deep pool to delve into and a fun thought experiment!
    Last edited by DragonBaneDM; 2024-03-25 at 11:58 AM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

If you want to go older, you could go with an Asimar storm sorcerer.

There's also the cults in the apocalypse set. You could be a Minotaur Abjuration Wizard that uses spells to protect and buff his allies. or The Minotaur barbarian that gets buffed. the deal with Raka seems to be using protection to make aggression more effective.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Pixie in the Playground

Red, Blue and White... well that's just a (Light) Purple Dragon Knight!

Jokes aside, i think this subclass actually fits the color philosophies.

Red - the chaotic nature of battle
    Blue - the strategic/logical thinking of a leader
    White - being a member of a elite knight order

Have fun!

Another way could be just playing a caster that has access to fireball, counterspell and healing spells...