New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kobold

Default Favorite spells? PF1e or D&D 3.5e

So I was prowling around on the Archives of Nethys, on the Druid spell list (because I'm working on a druid build) when I found this beauty:

PFS Legal Pup Shape
    Source Ultimate Combat pg. 240
    School transmutation (polymorph); Level arcanist 3, druid 3, hunter 3, redmantisassassin 3, sorcerer 3, witch 3, wizard 3
    Casting
    Casting Time 1 standard action
    Components V, S, M (a rag doll)
    Effect
    Range close (25 ft. + 5 ft./2 levels)
    Target one animal
    Duration 1 round/level
    Saving Throw Fortitude negates (and Will special, see text); Spell Resistance yes
    Description
    You transform the subject animal into a Small magical beast (or a magical beast one size category smaller than the original creature, whichever is smaller), creating a young magical version of itself for a short period of time. While in this form, the target has only 1 HD (maximum hit points), and the target takes a –4 penalty to Strength, Constitution, Intelligence and Wisdom (minimum 1). The creature also gains a +4 size bonus to Dexterity and a +2 natural bonus.

Any nonevil creature that attempts to attack a creature in this form must succeed at a Will saving throw (using the DC of the spell) to overcome feelings of guilt and protectiveness toward the young and innocent-seeming creature. On a failed saving throw, it cannot follow through with the attack, that part of the action is lost, and it can’t directly attack the transformed creature for the duration of the spell or until the spell’s target attacks it. This part of the spell is a mind-affecting emotion effect. Evil creatures have no qualms about attacking the target of this spell, in fact, some particularly heinous creatures might go out of their ways to do the target harm.

Have you found any 'really useless but also not that useless' kind of spells?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kobold

Default Re: Favorite spells? PF1e or D&D 3.5e

Or monsters, like the Multiplying T-rex Skeleton? I swear, I never saw it coming.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

I'm rather fond of Pilfering Hand (a ranged disarm spell that grabs an enemy weapon), as well as the classic Resilient Sphere.
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Kurald Galain View Post
    I'm rather fond of Pilfering Hand (a ranged disarm spell that grabs an enemy weapon), as well as the classic Resilient Sphere.
    Nice. They seem pretty good. Being able to disarm something/someone is definitely nice.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

Defenestrating sphere. Just for the concept itself.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Condé View Post
    Defenestrating sphere. Just for the concept itself.

That name was something I never knew I needed in my life. Defenestration also happens to be just about my favorite (English) word ever. Don't know enough Spanish to have one.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

I like the idea of cutting hand (for 1 round/level, turns your hand into a +2 weapon with 1d6 base damage), even though fist of stone is in the same book and way better in every way.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Bugbear in the Playground

Defecate from Renegade Wizard's Spellbook by Mongoose Publishing

makes your target poop themselves

whats not to love about it?

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

I recall a 3rd party spell that I was fond of. Death Blossom, I think it was called. If the critter it was cast on used a full round action or was bleeding it would deal a bit of damage. Not a lot, but the second effect that caused anything the spell was still on that died to grow 1d4 fruits that functioned like clw potions was handy. As a necromancy spell it could be argued that the fruit where undead compatible.
    ,,,,^..^,,,,

Quote Originally Posted by Haldir View Post
    Edit- I understand it now, Fighters are like a status symbol. If you're well off enough to own a living Fighter, you must be pretty well off!

10. - Top - End - #10
    Barbarian in the Playground

From the web enhancement that accompanied Ghostwalk, the 4th-grade paladin spell door to great evil is silly, provides a break from the scheduled events of the campaign (unless the spell is, itself, such a scheduled event), and is a terrific excuse for evil PCs to suddenly have paladins smiting them.
    In essence, it's greater teleport, except that you don't pick the destination, and it offers no save or spell resistance; instead, the single target (yourself or a willing paladin touched) is sent to the nearest level-appropriate evil foe(s) for an encounter where combat is an acceptable course of action. It does not provide a means of return, but it does provide loose navigation information (in the way of distance and direction).
    The future is bright.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

I've always really loved the concept and name of Anywhere But Here.