New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kobold

Default building a kineticist in pf1e

Here I go again, this time, though... I'm building a Kineticist. Be warned, though, this will have much more multiclassing than my Druid build.

So, I'm (trying) to write a book, but I have no inspiration. The main character, though, I drew some inspiration from. He basically has pyrokinesis and a sword, and can punch people hard. So, basically, Kineticist+fighter+monk. (Canonically he's half-dragon, but it really does nothing to him other than stretch out his lifespan.)

Here's our build:

6 levels of Kineticist - Elemental Annihilator, Fire for the Elemental Blast feature and the firebending, as well as it being in-character (kind of)
    8 levels of Monk (unchained) - Elemental Monk for the AC and improved fist and elemental fist
    6 levels of Fighter - Weapon master(Longsword)

Race: Human with Awareness (as he ends up getting hit lots of times, but just never dies) and Heart of the Slums (he grew up dirt broke)
    Alignment: True Neutral (for monk)

Skills to take:
    Invest in Bluff, Acrobatics, Athletics, Knowledge (Dragons)
    Stats:
    STR 14 / DEX 12 / CON 16 / INT 11 / WIS 12 / CHA 10
    ASIs:
    DEX
    CON
    CON
    CON
    CON

(yeah, kind of MAD)

Traits: Arodenite Sword Training (no, he doesn't worship Aroden, just using it for flavor) Bully (because most find him terrifying, when all he wants is to be left alone)
    Favored Class: Monk, Kineticist, with bonus being +1 HP
    Feats:
    Improved Unarmed Strike
    Improved Grapple
    Savage Slam
    Dodge
    Improved Initiative
    Alertness
    Lightning Reflexes
    Quick Draw
    Ready for Anything
    Befuddling Initiative

Yeah, very physical and strong.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: building a kineticist in pf1e

You don't have to split yourself so hard with kineticist. In fact, I'd recommend not doing so. If you want to use your fists and a longsword, I recommend you take the energize weapon and kinetic fist form infusions at levels 1 and 3 instead of going fighter and monk. You can pick up longsword proficiency and improved UAS as your level 1 feats.

Also, elemental annihilator is practically counter to what you want. As an archetype you really want as many levels as you can in it to maximize its benefits and doesn't really have much "fire bending". You lose out on all of your utility talents that really set you apart. Elemental ascetic is much closer to what you want, and you can skip the monk levels while getting your unarmored benefits. However, you lose out on overflow's bonus to your attack and damage. Regular kineticist has the most freedom as it allows you to use ranged blasts and you don't lose elemental overflow, but you do lose out on monk AC.
    Last edited by Darg; 2024-03-25 at 03:31 PM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

How does the book version of your character actually use the pyrokinesis? Does he switch between punching enemies and setting them on fire from a distance, or does he try to do both at once? Does he usually set his fists and weapon on fire, set the room on fire, or just directly burn his enemies?
    The gnomes once had many mines, but now they have gnome ore.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    How does the book version of your character actually use the pyrokinesis? Does he switch between punching enemies and setting them on fire from a distance, or does he try to do both at once? Does he usually set his fists and weapon on fire, set the room on fire, or just directly burn his enemies?
    A bit of everything, really.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

If you're okay with Path of War, I'd suggest Warder 12 / Kineticist 8. Pugilist Stance lets you punch like a monk when necessary, but combining the punch and stab roles into one class means combining progression. Or you could lean the other way with something like Kineticist 16 / Warder 4, using Kineticist to progress your Initiator Level at half speed with Warder levels whenever you want to learn new maneuvers.
    Last edited by Bucky; 2024-03-28 at 03:26 AM.
    The gnomes once had many mines, but now they have gnome ore.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    If you're okay with Path of War, I'd suggest Warder 12 / Kineticist 8. Pugilist Stance lets you punch like a monk when necessary, but combining the punch and stab roles into one class means combining progression. Or you could lean the other way with something like Kineticist 16 / Warder 4, using Kineticist to progress your Initiator Level at half speed with Warder levels whenever you want to learn new maneuvers.
    I assume Path of War is third-party? Cool. Thanks for the suggestion!

7. - Top - End - #7
    Bugbear in the Playground

Roil Dancer is an option, not that I have any idea how good of an option it might be.
    Sometimes, I have strong opinions on seemingly inconsequential matters.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crisis21 View Post
    Phhase he played four
    He played nick nack on my door
    With a nick nack paddy whack
    Give a dog a bone
    Phhase came rolling home.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ventruenox View Post
    You found a way to backstab... with a ballista...

I want to play at your table.
    Spoiler: How to have a Good Idea
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Yunru View Post
    Buy a lava lamp, it more than doubles the rate of good ideas :p
    Better yet, buy this lava lamp.