New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

Default Opinions on Munchkin d20

I have a player that's asking to use Munchkin d20 content in my 3.5 game, particularly wanting to cast spells, likely as a Wizard or Sorcerer, for their next character.

Questions:
    1) How compatible is Munchkin d20 and 3.5e, power-wise?
    2) Are there any specific feats, spells or the like I'd want to watch out for?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Opinions on Munchkin d20

munchkin D20 is a parody RPG...

It absolutely does not mix well with an actual RPG where the goal isn't just plain ridiculousness.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Opinions on Munchkin d20

Quote Originally Posted by pabelfly View Post
    2) Are there any specific feats, spells or the like I'd want to watch out for?
    Well, there is a famous feat called "Shagging the GM"; guess what is prerequisites are
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

eek Re: Opinions on Munchkin d20

Quote Originally Posted by Kurald Galain View Post
    Well, there is a famous feat called "Shagging the GM"; guess what is prerequisites are
    I posted this thread before reading the book. That will show me.

Since I have at least briefly read through the book now, I might as well post my thoughts.

Forty-eight pages is not much material for a PHB, but it's really more for comedy. I'll agree with the other poster that said you wouldn't actually use this, even if you wanted to run a joke campaign. Unfortunately, you've heard all the jokes before. There's some more politically incorrect jokes about seduction checks and the like, in case you care about that sort of thing. Maybe the jokes were a bit fresher before we were all online all the time, but it feels really old and tired now.

If I were actually going to use anything, I might use the races and the classes, even though there's no point using them over the normal 3e material. All the PHB races are here with some slightly different flavour and abilities, but nothing noticeably egregious, at least at first glance. Casters are always good and that hasn't changed here. Thief, Monk and Warrior are probably T5 material, without the benefit of at least being interesting or distinctive mechanically.

The other stuff - feats, items, and spells - are so wildly different in their power level and (ab)usability that allowing them or not would be at an individual level, and at that point you might as well homebrew what you want if you need the extra material for your game. I could post some of the more powerful/weak/interesting material, but there's no real point to that when it wasn't seriously intended for use.