New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Looking for dexterity template 3.5

I'm thinking about playing as a rouge in my next campain, and I like powerful builds (not broken, just powerful), and I need a tamplate to boost dexterity that follows the criteria:

- i'm using the incarnate construct as a way to reduce LA, so the templace must be aplied to a construct
    - I would very much prefer templates that doesnt turn the character into an undead
    - I already choose dark creature as one of the templates, so Ideal would be LA+1 or at max +2

Edit: thanks for the suggestions and warning about incarnate construct, I really appreciate who indicated which book/ dragon magazine the template is from, spares a lot of searching
    Last edited by RubyWF; 2024-03-27 at 05:37 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

Default Re: Looking for dexterity templare 3.5

Unseelie Fey (Dragon Compendium) is an LA 0 race with a dex bonus, if that interests you.

Some good +2 LA templates:

Insectile (Savage Species) gives +4 DEX and a few other additions.

Obah-Blessed (Dungeon Magazine 136) gives +4 DEX, two extra arms and some other strong additions for 2 LA (there is also a 3 LA version in the same book which is even better).

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

smile Re: Looking for dexterity templare 3.5

A warning about incarnate construct. I have tried using it to reduce LA in the past, but these lines always trip me up:

Quote Originally Posted by Savage Species p. 121
    Special Attacks: The base creature loses all its special
    attacks.
    Special Qualities: The base creature loses all its special
    qualities.
    Since most racial abilities fall into one of those (typically special qualities), it becomes very difficult to use Incarnate Construct for anything else than stat increases.

In addition, it's unclear if that ALSO removes special attacks and qualities granted by class levels if you gain the template later.
    Last edited by Rebel7284; 2024-03-27 at 08:38 AM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by RubyWF View Post
    I'm thinking about playing as a rouge in my next campain, and I like powerful builds (not broken, just powerful), and I need a tamplate to boost dexterity that follows the criteria:

- i'm using the incarnate construct as a way to reduce LA, so the templace must be aplied to a construct
    - I would very much prefer templates that doesnt turn the character into an undead
    - I already choose dark creature as one of the templates, so Ideal would be LA+1 or at max +2
    I'm not sure there's a solution because few templates apply to constructs.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Soulfused Construct (Magic of Incarnum) grants +2 dex, +4 cha, for +1 LA. - it also makes Speak Language a class skill for your RHD ranks. However, it can only be applied to constructs that lack an intelligence score.
    Last edited by Inevitability; 2024-03-27 at 11:47 AM.
    Creator of the LA-assignment thread.

Come join the new Junkyard Wars and build with SLAs and a breath weapon!

Interested in judging a build competition on the 3.5 forums but not sure where to begin? Check out the judging handbook!

Extended signature!

6. - Top - End - #6
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Looking for dexterity template 3.5

Winged Creature template from savage species gives you +4 dex, +2 la

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

What's your base creature that you'll be applying incarnate construct to, by the way? It probably won't matter but there's a few situations where it might be relevant.

Interested in judging a build competition on the 3.5 forums but not sure where to begin? Check out the judging handbook!

Extended signature!

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

So I've actually been working on a complete list of races and templates in table format. There's a lot to do and I'm not nearly done. The reason I mention this: it doesn't look like there's a +1 LA template that meets your needs. I haven't finished ECL 3 and LA 2, I can't say concretely for that, but here is a really thorough list of LA 1 templates for you to look through, including Dragon, Dungeon and Bestiary of Krynn.

The closest that's available to you is Soulforged Construct, but you're still not elligible, as previously mentioned by Inevitability

Anyway, here's my list. You're welcome to look through it and see if there's anything useful for you.

Spoiler: 1 LA Template Table
    Show

Template Template Target Acquired/
    Inherited
    STR DEX CON INT WIS CHA Move Speed Abilities Assorted notes Book
    Abomination Dragonspawn Any Dragonspawn Inherited +4? +4? +4? +10ft? Random Bonuses decided randomly Bestiary of Krynn, p24
    Blooded One Humanoid Acquired +2 +4 -2 Unapproachable East, p60
    Chameleon Creature Corporeal Creature (Not Construct, Undead, or Elemental) Inherited Add Climb Speed Add touch attack 10ft, Low-Light Vision Type change: Reptilian (if Humanoid) Underdark, p83
    Dark Creature Any Creature Inherited +10ft Darkvision, Superior Low-Light Vision, Hide in Plain Sight Type change: Extraplanar subtype (if not on Plane of Shadow) Tome of Magic, p161
    Deep Creature Any standard PHB race Inherited -2 +2 Darkvision Dragon 306, p62
    Draconic Creature Any corporeal creature (not a dragon) Inherited +2 +2 +2 Darkvision, Low-Light Vision Type change: Magical Beast (if animal) Draconomicon, p150
    Races of the Dragon, p74
    Dragonspawn (White) Any corporeal humanoid or monstrous humanoid, small to large Inherited +2 +2 Fly 2x Land Speed Darkvision, Low-Light Vision Type change: Monstrous Humanoid Dragonlance Campaign Setting, p222
    Evolved Undead Any undead with Intelligence score Inherited +2? +2 Fast Healing Libris Mortis, p99
    Faerzress-Infused Creature Any corporeal creature Inherited Detect Faerzress, Infused Power Underdark, p88
    Feral Creature Any corporeal humanoid or monstrous humanoid Inherited +4 -2 +2 -4 (min 2) +2 Land +10ft Improved Grab, Pounce (Limited), Rake, Rend, Darkvision, Fast Healing Savage Species p115
    Fleshvigor Non-skeletal corporeal undead Acquired +2 Cannibalistic Healing Dragon 315, p59
    Gurik Cha'ahl Any creature with Goblinoid subtype Inherited +4 +2 -2 Scent Bestiary of Krynn, p45
    Half-Minotaur Any giant, humanoid or monstrous humanoid, small to huge size Inherited +4 (+12) 0 (-2) +2 (+6) -2 Land +10ft Darkvision, Scent Secondary stat boosts denote size change from template Dragon 313, p94
    Half-Ogre Any giant, humanoid or monstrous humanoid, small to huge size Inherited +12 -2 +4 -2 Land +10ft Darkvision, Giant Blood Size change stat boost included. If no size change, LA 0 template. Dragon 313, p95
    Half-Satyr Any giant, humanoid or monstrous humanoid, small to large size Inherited Fey Bloodline, Low-Light Vision Dragon 313, p94
    Half-Undead (Gheden) Any giant, humanoid or monstrous humanoid Inherited +4 -2 (min 1) -2 (min 1) -4 (min 1) Dead Nerves, Detect Mindless Undead Dragon 313, p66
    Gruumsh-Blooded Any orc Acquired Monster Manual V, p65
    Imix-Blooded Any evil creature Acquired Monster Manual V, p65
    Kord-Blooded Any nonevil creature, STR 16+ Acquired Kord's Toughness Monster Manual V, p66
    Magic-Infused Living Corporeal Creature Acquired Aura of Magic, Infused with Magic, Minor Polymorph, Infused Shielding (Web)
    Mineral Warrior Any Corporeal Creature (not Undead, Construct or Elemental) Inherited +2 +4 -2 (min 1) -2 -2 Darkvision, Damage Reduction Gains Earth subtype Underdark p96
    (Web)
    Mulhorandi Divine Minion Any Humanoid, Monstrous Humanoid, or human-shaped Outsider Acquired +2 +4 -2 (min 1) -2 -2 Fast Wildshape Gains Outsider type. Gains alignment subtype. +1 LA for Anhur, Hathor, isis, Nephthys, Sebek, or Thoth. (Web)
    Nagpa Any Human or Half-Elf Sorcerer of at least 9th level Acquired +2 +4 -2 (min 1) -2 -2 Craft Nagpa Staff, Spell Resistance, Wanderlust Gains Monstrous Humanoid type. Dragon 339, p61
    Orcus-Blooded Any evil undead creature Acquired Herald of Orcus Monster Manual V, p66
    Orglash Any elemental with Air subtype Inherited +4 10 (min) Add Fly Speed equal to Land Speed (Poor) Cold Subtype, Fast Healing, Native Elemental Monster Manual V, p66
    Psionic Tenant Any Psionic Creature Acquired +2 +4 +2 Type Change: Undead Monster Manual V, p66
    Quasilycanthrope Any Humanoid or Giant Acquired Damage Reduction Gains Shapechanger subtype. (Web)
    Remade Any Living Corporeal Creature Acquired Random or chosen effects Dragon 352, p46
    Scorned Creature Most Corporeal Creatures Acquired +2 -2 +2 -4 -2 -10ft (min 5ft land) Ageless Dungeon 136, p64
    Shadow-Bound Any Aberration, Animal, Dragon, Fey, Giant, Humanoid, Magical Beast, Monstrous Humanoid, or Vermin Acquired Low-Light Vision, Shadow Blend, Shadow Curse Animals and Vermin become Magical Beasts with Augmented subtype (Web)
    Shadow Walker Any Humanoid Inherited +2 -2 Darkvision Underdark, p70
    Sign of the Smoking Eye Any Living Creature with at least one eye Acquired Imbued with Evil Dungeon 107, 68
    Soulfused Construct Constructs without Intelligence score or Living Construct subtype. Inherited +2 +4 Essentia Pool, Soulbound Resistance Gain Living Construct subtype Magic of Incarnum, p196
    Symbiotic Any two living creatures of animal, humanoid, plant or vermin, one must be two size categories smaller. Acquired As host Detach Savage Species, p131
    Tainted Blood Any abberation, fey, giant, humanoid or monstrous humanoid Acquired +2 +4 As host Enhanced Vision, Scented, Acid and Poison Immunity Giants or humanoids become Monstrous Humanoids. Bestiary of Krynn, p99
    Thomil Any Elemental with Earth subtype Inherited +2 -2 Darkvision, Spell Resistance, Cold Resistance Underdark, p70
    Vecna-Blooded Any evil undead creature Acquired Heraldo of Orcus Monster Manual V, p66
    Yeenoghu-Blooded Any gnoll Acquired Gore Stench Monster Manual V, p66

9. - Top - End - #9
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    What's your base creature that you'll be applying incarnate construct to, by the way? It probably won't matter but there's a few situations where it might be relevant.
    The base creature will be a warforged, i only know of one other living consctruct playable race, buts its so weird i dont even remember the name

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Hm, you could ask your DM about the Quorcraft warforged template in Secrets of Xen'Drik. It takes a warforged and increases slam damage and composite plating AC bonus, in addition to granting the ability to slam twice with one full-round action. No dexterity boost, but still pretty solid.

It's normally LA: - because it removes the base creature's intelligence score, but if you're going to get that back via Incarnate Construct anyway, I think +1 would be perfectly fine.

Extended signature!

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ettin in the Playground

Greater Humanoid Essence + Ritual of Shadow Walking (Unapproachable East)?