New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Wild West settings

I'm generally looking for various books, sources, games, etc, that could help build up a wild west feel. I'm happy to work with different systems and options to get a game to where I want it to be.

Edit: I do have copies of darksun 4e, and pure steam for PF and it's westbound expansion.
    Last edited by Buufreak; 2024-03-27 at 01:44 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Wild West settings

Deadlands (the classic) seems a pretty good option - you could even file off the supernatural elements or scale them back, if needs be. This had the feel, for me, and had plenty of reasonable source material for a decent post-Civil War-era game.

The first Boot Hill (TSR) was really just a combat system, as I recall, but maybe the successor versions offer something more?

- M
    No matter where you go...there you are!

Holhokki Tapio - GitP Blood Bowl New Era Season I Champion
    Togashi Ishi - Betrayal at the White Temple
    Da Monsters of Da Midden - GitP Blood Bowl Manager Cup Season V-VI-VII

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mordar View Post
    Deadlands (the classic) seems a pretty good option - you could even file off the supernatural elements or scale them back, if needs be. This had the feel, for me, and had plenty of reasonable source material for a decent post-Civil War-era game.
    The Savage Worlds versions are also worth a look, I only have Hell on Earth Reloaded but I hear the updates to the original are pretty good. Probably helps that SW is essentially a stripped down Dead lands system-wise (mostly to allow large battles to be played in a day). Honestly the biggest issue is probably that one setting element that the latest edition removed, the original Weird West setting isn't otherwise a big deviation because of how recent the fantasy elements are.

The latest edition even apparently drops the scope to 'arrive in new town, deal with local weird things, leave'. So the supernatural becomes much easier to cut out and reduce if you want to

There's also various other games out there, although I've not personally played any of them. Like I've heard of Aces & Eights, Dogs in the Vineyard, and seen a couple of things on DTRPG, but I don't know if they're good.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Spamalot in the Playground

I belief White Wolf's World of Darkness setting has some western splats you could use for inspiration (if not mechanics.) Werewolf: The Wild West would be the main one.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    The Savage Worlds versions are also worth a look, I only have Hell on Earth Reloaded but I hear the updates to the original are pretty good. Probably helps that SW is essentially a stripped down Dead lands system-wise (mostly to allow large battles to be played in a day). Honestly the biggest issue is probably that one setting element that the latest edition removed, the original Weird West setting isn't otherwise a big deviation because of how recent the fantasy elements are.

The latest edition even apparently drops the scope to 'arrive in new town, deal with local weird things, leave'. So the supernatural becomes much easier to cut out and reduce if you want to
    As I recall, didn't the SW books lean into the generic thing, and strip away some of the flavor and reference material in the DL books? Of course, there were dozens of Deadlands books and far fewer SW: the Deadlanding books, so maybe just a byproduct of mass.

- M
    No matter where you go...there you are!

Holhokki Tapio - GitP Blood Bowl New Era Season I Champion
    Togashi Ishi - Betrayal at the White Temple
    Da Monsters of Da Midden - GitP Blood Bowl Manager Cup Season V-VI-VII

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mordar View Post
    As I recall, didn't the SW books lean into the generic thing, and strip away some of the flavor and reference material in the DL books? Of course, there were dozens of Deadlands books and far fewer SW: the Deadlanding books, so maybe just a byproduct of mass.

- M
    Nah, I believe ABs that use the Power mechanics rather than getting unique Edges lose a lot of flavour, as there's little space spent on trappings. It's definitely a tradeoff to consider: do you think inbuilt trappings make up for slower gameplay?

The real advantage to the Savage Worlds versions is that they're current, I'm not certain that Pinnacle is still selling the Anniversary Edition of Classic. That can make procuring them a lot less if a hassle (although it still took me a while to find anywhere with HoER for sale, because I was looking a good decade after release). That and the fact that some of the subsettings are SW-only, but I think that's just Noir for now.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Buufreak View Post
    I'm generally looking for various books, sources, games, etc, that could help build up a wild west feel. I'm happy to work with different systems and options to get a game to where I want it to be.

Edit: I do have copies of darksun 4e, and pure steam for PF and it's westbound expansion.
    While it isn't totally on point Space 1889 is a Victorian Steam Punk setting.
    If you strip out the steam punk there is a very solid historical basis to build on. The core setting is for European focussed PCs, but there is enough American information to develop further, especially if you have other sources to help flesh out things.

For overlap with current systems I think the 2010 reprint using Savage Worlds is your best bet

Edit to add:
    If you are interested in mass combat the Space 1889 Soldier's Companion is a fantastic fast play wargame. Very flavoursome and easy to play
    Last edited by Pauly; 2024-03-28 at 12:33 AM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.