New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Bugbear in the Playground

DruidGirl

Default Re: The Shield of the North: 5E campaign, combat

Quote Originally Posted by Dirty View Post
    I'm thinking of a halfling bard. The son of the owner of the local tavern or inn. Singing the songs to help the dead find their resting place. Hope and melancholy probably play big parts in forming his upbringing and bardic soul.

Connor Magennis
    Hey Dirty -- you need to join the campaign with this character so I can see it!

2. - Top - End - #32
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by TriciaOso View Post
    Hey Dirty -- you need to join the campaign with this character so I can see it!

Ah gotcha!

Here's the complete application:

Connor Magennis

Connor is the youngest of the Magennis clan. His old man is a burly bearded halfling who's run the tavern ever since his own father (Connors granddad) died during an invasion. As a result of that the tavern has been more of a dark brown place to hang at the bar, shoulders slumped and reminiscing about better times.

Occasionally there's reason to celebrate, but those are few and far in-between and even then the drunken revelry results into a cathartic way to deal with the post traumatic stress almost all the citizens walk around with. Connors flute and rhythmic stomping on the hardwood floor work hard to combat the negativity and keep the spirits up, but it's an uphill battle and when the morning comes he's drained and feeling empty.

As a kid he used to be confused about what was going on once a year. He couldn't understand why some people just never came back. He started cataloguing, writing long lists of names and occupations. This later got used by the town priests, where Connor would supply them detailed lists about who made it back and who didn't. The part of the process after an invasion, where they tally up the dead, and send prayers and song into the nights sky while the fires are being lit. Names. Deeds. History. To Connor this was a way to handle the traumatic environment. It was his way to help the survivors.

Being the youngest he was being sheltered for as long as possible and wasn't allowed to fight. This was his way to carry some of the burden. He had a knack for music. Spending a lot of time contemplating the lost he developed a way of playing that made it feel like they were still here. He tried to connect the music to what he knew about the people. To connect to their essence.

Connors flute could produce some haunting melodies that seemed to touch people in their soul, reminding them about their loved ones in the most gentle and respectful ways.

Now, at the eve of another dark period, where surely they'd get attacked again Connors father took him aside and handed him a sword. Connor knew it well. It was his older brothers. He had played a long and deep session last year until his lungs burned and fingers ached when they lit his brothers pyre.

It was his time now to climb the ramparts. It was his time to stand against the tide. Connor didn't know if he was ready but he knew he'd stand. Like all the others who's songs he'd played.
    Last edited by Dirty; 2024-04-03 at 02:38 AM.

3. - Top - End - #33

DruidGirl

Looks great! It does look like you still need to pick a (mechanical) background and a couple of spells, though.

A reminder to everyone that I am going to try and wrap up selections by the end of today (I'm on MST).

So far there are 6 characters created on DNDBeyond:

Sigrun Bonegrinder, goliath barbarian (Infernally Clay)
    Connor Magennis, halfling bard (Dirty)
    Aupti, human druid (J-H)
    Hasgraek Icegrip, dhampir dwarf rogue (zylodrizzt)
    Shad, human fighter (Breitheamh)

and then a dhampir wizard Peryarus Horineth; I'm not sure who the player for that is, as their DNDBeyond username doesn't line up to anyone who has expressed interest.

Lioslaith and JbeJ275 have expressed interest but haven't submitted characters yet (unless one of you is Peryarus?).

4. - Top - End - #34
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

Ah yeah! I took entertainer with insight as skill since he's trying to gauge people and what makes them, them.

Also added two spells.

5. - Top - End - #35

DruidGirl

So, since it's getting to the end of the work day for me, I'm going to go ahead and call it. It looks like the final roster for this campaign will be:

• Connor Magennis, halfling bard (Dirty)
    • Aupti, human druid (J-H)
    • Hasgraek Icegrip, dhampir dwarf rogue (zylodrizzt)
    • Shad, human fighter (Breitheamh)

Thanks for your interest everybody! I'll get the OOC and IC threads going tomorrow morning MST; you've already got the link to the Discord, so we can chat there as well if there are questions or if you want to discuss pre-existing connections.