New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Artificer scroll crafting

What is the fastest a 10th lvl artificer can craft a scroll of first level?. So half the cost(12.5 gp) and 1/4 the time (2 hrs?). Is this right? So during a long rest assuming 2 hours of light activity I could craft a scroll of first level every long rest?
    Last edited by dnd2016; 2024-03-28 at 08:46 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Firbolg in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Default Re: Artificer scroll crafting

I wouldn't say crafting magic items counts as light activity. Otherwise, yes? Although technically, the time to scribe level 1 scroll is 1 day, not 8 hours, so quarter of that would be 6 hours.
    Last edited by JackPhoenix; 2024-03-28 at 09:38 PM.
    It's Eberron, not ebberon.
    It's not high magic, it's wide magic.
    And it's definitely not steampunk. The only time steam gets involved is when the fire and water elementals break loose.

3. - Top - End - #3

Quote Originally Posted by JackPhoenix View Post
    I wouldn't say crafting magic items counts as light activity. Otherwise, yes? Although technically, the time to scribe level 1 scroll is 1 day, not 8 hours, so quarter of that would be 6 hours.
    A "day" for crafting is 8 hours per XGtE. so it would be 2 hours but it definitely wouldn't be light actively IMO.

Does mean you could knock out 2 lv one scrolls and still get a full night of rest.
    Last edited by stoutstien; 2024-03-29 at 07:27 AM.

4. - Top - End - #4

EvilClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by stoutstien View Post
    A "day" for crafting is 8 hours per XGtE. so it would be 2 hours but it definitely wouldn't be light actively IMO.
    DMG specifies crafting needs 8 hours, but XGtE doesn't, hence the "technically". The 8 hours figure is mentioned elsewhere, I was looking for it in the wrong part of the book.
    It's Eberron, not ebberon.
    It's not high magic, it's wide magic.
    And it's definitely not steampunk. The only time steam gets involved is when the fire and water elementals break loose.

5. - Top - End - #5

Quote Originally Posted by JackPhoenix View Post
    DMG specifies crafting needs 8 hours, but XGtE doesn't, hence the "technically". The 8 hours figure is mentioned elsewhere, I was looking for it in the wrong part of the book.
    I've always been baffled the way crafting and travels times in most TTRPGs is determined.

The travel pace is set for 8 hours or risk exhaustion...but there not enough time for a long rest if you travel that long anyways.
    what is the point of living if you can't deadlift?

All credit to the amazing avatar goes to thoroughlyS

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

So basically no crafting is allowed during a long rest? It would have to be done during downtime activity?
    Last edited by dnd2016; 2024-03-29 at 04:46 PM.

7. - Top - End - #7

Quote Originally Posted by dnd2016 View Post
    So basically no crafting is allowed during a long rest? It would have to be done during downtime activity?
    It's not black and white. If you look into XGTE there are plenty of examples of things you can craft during a short/long rest, same for lizardfolk in VGtM.

5e isn't that big on going in depth regarding this type of simulation so ultimately it's GMs call. I would think most GMS would be ok as long as it's not something you trying to do all the time or may with some form of check attached.
    what is the point of living if you can't deadlift?

All credit to the amazing avatar goes to thoroughlyS