New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

Default Convenient way to download large threads?

I'd sort of taken for granted that posts would live in perpetuity on the forum accessible by search. Now that the geriatric threads of parts of the forum are being deleted (long after their assured lifespan, so no complaint) I find myself trying to figure a way to preserve posted content locally.

Is there a function on the forum to to conveniently download threads? That way, the forum can clear out the chaff but those of us with PbP content spread across several large OOC threads can secure it. The alternative is to laboriously copy+paste from page after page, and that's... a deed I would like to avoid if possible.

Thanks.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Convenient way to download large threads?

Quote Originally Posted by MrAbdiel View Post
    I'd sort of taken for granted that posts would live in perpetuity on the forum accessible by search. Now that the geriatric threads of parts of the forum are being deleted (long after their assured lifespan, so no complaint) I find myself trying to figure a way to preserve posted content locally.

Is there a function on the forum to to conveniently download threads? That way, the forum can clear out the chaff but those of us with PbP content spread across several large OOC threads can secure it. The alternative is to laboriously copy+paste from page after page, and that's... a deed I would like to avoid if possible.

Thanks.
    At the bottom right there is an "archive" link that'll take you to a very simplified view of the forum. Every extant thread, AFAICT, is there, and when you open the one you are looking for, it holds a lot more posts per page than usual - not the full thread, but more than 30. It also removes a lot of the bbcode, so things like spoilers aren't too much of an issue. It does also break quotes, though, so it's not perfect.

ETA: Oh, and see this post on how to find the archive of the thread you are looking for

Grey wolf
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2024-03-31 at 11:09 AM.
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

3. - Top - End - #3
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MrAbdiel View Post
    Now that the geriatric threads of parts of the forum are being deleted
    The wording makes it sound like something changed recently: is that true? IIRC threads in pbp out-of-character and silly message board games were deleted automatically for as long as I've been on the forum. Are there now more boards where threads are purged?

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by 137beth View Post
    The wording makes it sound like something changed recently: is that true? IIRC threads in pbp out-of-character and silly message board games were deleted automatically for as long as I've been on the forum. Are there now more boards where threads are purged?
    Echoing this concern/question. I hadn't heard about major archived threads being deleted. If OotS- or D&D-related discussion threads are in the crosshairs, that feels like big news.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Miniature Giant Space Hamster in the Playground Administrator

No threads other than those which are specifically identified in the forum's description as expiring are being removed. If we're going to purge any other forums, we will give you 30 days notice.

Closing the thread as the question has been asked and answered.

"My Hobby: Replacing your soap with gravy" by rtg0922, Doll and Clint "Rawhide" Eastwood by Sneak