New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

RangerGuy

Default Conjurations Damage spells and Damage resistance?

I know conjuration damage spells aren't effected by spell resistance but are they effected by damage resistance as they are real things?

Thanks

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Conjurations Damage spells and Damage resistance?

Quote Originally Posted by incog64 View Post
    I know conjuration damage spells aren't effected by spell resistance but are they effected by damage resistance as they are real things?
    They should be. Fire resistance works against mundane fire.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

First up - check by spell if they are subject to Spell Resistance or not. It is not universal that they are not (e.g. quill blast).

Note: things like Fire Resistance are not "Damage Resistance/Reduction" - they are "Energy Resistance".

So, should a conjuration spell that is not subject to SR be affected by Damage Reduction?

The RAW answer is "no" - DR does not affect spells.

A more practical answer is "read the spell and decide for yourself" - some spells are clearly intended to be subject to DR - why else would they declare the damage type as "bludgeoning" etc.?
    (This may make RAI easier to discern, but RAW is still no".)

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

Quote Originally Posted by Khedrac View Post
    So, should a conjuration spell that is not subject to SR be affected by Damage Reduction?

A more practical answer is "read the spell and decide for yourself" - some spells are clearly intended to be subject to DR - why else would they declare the damage type as "bludgeoning" etc.?
    The RAW answer is "Sometimes". In Complete Arcane, there's a sidebar that spells that deal weapon type damages are subject to DR.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Tzardok View Post
    The RAW answer is "Sometimes". In Complete Arcane, there's a sidebar that spells that deal weapon type damages are subject to DR.
    I was going to say "I'd completely forgotten about that - thank-you", but I have taken a look at my copy of Complete Arcane and cannot find it. Please can you supply a page number?

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

Post Re: Conjurations Damage spells and Damage resistance?

I'm sorry, I was mistaken.
    The sidebar is in Complete Psionics, pg. 79, not in Arcane, and only deals with psionic powers, not spells.
    I still think that it's intended for spells to work like that - Complete Arcane includes a spell that creates blades made of cold iron or silver, for chrissake! - but I need to retract my statement that it's RAW.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

The sidebar is in Complete Psionics, pg. 79, not in Arcane, and only deals with psionic powers, not spells.
    I still think that it's intended for spells to work like that - Complete Arcane includes a spell that creates blades made of cold iron or silver, for chrissake! - but I need to retract my statement that it's RAW.
    And that's why I think it is RAI. Your sidebar is a useful guide to help a DM do this though so thank-you.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Orc in the Playground

And that's why I think it is RAI. Your sidebar is a useful guide to help a DM do this though so thank-you.
    Would it be RAW if the DM used psionics/magic transparency?

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Thank you both, I'd houseruled that bludgeoning damage etc counted for DR but I had no idea there was any RAW support for that beyond the "why bother telling us if it isn't?" argument.