New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Image Request - Women's Council

"I need an image to illustrate a specific concept—a council of women. It can be either fantasy or science fiction, but needs to show a group of women (ideally in a formal setting) engaged in discussion or debate. Can anyone find artwork that shows this?"

(DISCLAIMER For All the People Who Hate Me: This is for Palanan who cannot really access the site as of now. Avenge yourselves on me somewhere else; he suffered quite enough!)

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Image Request - Women's Council

Why do people hate you? :O

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TaiLiu View Post
    Why do people hate you? :O
    Don't ask people that, ever.
    EVER.

If someone thinks (rightly or wrongly) that they're widely hated, they are likely to also expect that any response they could give to that question, including silence, will amplify and spread the (perceived) hate.

I'm speaking from experience here. I used to think everyone hated me. I don't now, but I did.
    Last edited by enderlord99; 2024-04-05 at 07:22 AM.
    Spoiler: Vanity quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Strigon View Post
    Wow.
    That took a very sudden turn for the dark.

I salute you.
    Quote Originally Posted by AuthorGirl View Post
    I wish it was possible to upvote here.

I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm. If there are none present, I probably believe what I am saying; should it turn out to be inaccurate trivia, please tell me rather than trying to play along with an apparent joke I don't know I'm making.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by enderlord99 View Post
    I used to think everyone hated me. I don't now, but I did.
    I also used to think everyone hated me.

I still do. But I used to, too.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Firbolg in the Playground

Guy's that is touching and all that, but this thread has a topic, you know!

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ionathus View Post
    I also used to think everyone hated me.

I still do. But I used to, too.
    I don't know you well enough to hate you. Also, I've seen you around a decent bit and not seen anybody say with no prompting "don't talk to Ionathus. If you acknowledge him, he'll feel welcome, and we don't want that because he's a ****ty person" so... clearly you're less hated than I was when I thought everyone hated me.
    Show
    Wow.

I salute you.

I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm. If there are none present, I probably believe what I am saying; should it turn out to be inaccurate trivia, please tell me rather than trying to play along with an apparent joke I don't know I'm making.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

I don't know you well enough to hate you. Also, I've seen you around a decent bit and not seen anybody say with no prompting "don't talk to Ionathus. If you acknowledge him, he'll feel welcome, and we don't want that because he's a ****ty person" so... clearly you're less hated than I was when I thought everyone hated me.
    That's very nice to hear, thank you! Haha but I should have been clearer that I was joking -- it was a riff on a popular Mitch Hedberg joke

Quote Originally Posted by Metastachydium View Post
    Guy's that is touching and all that, but this thread has a topic, you know!
    Sorry, sorry. For a more productive answer: it sounds like the parameters are pretty broad, so I'm curious about what this will be used for. That'd help narrow it down a lot. Right now based on what you've provided, I'd suggest a stock photo website.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Colossus in the Playground

All I can think of is the Pleases and Sparkles Club in South Park

Just a legislative body of school girls.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Originally Posted by Ionathus
    …it sounds like the parameters are pretty broad, so I'm curious about what this will be used for.
    I asked Metastachydium to post the OP when I was having severe access issues last weekend. On reflection I should’ve included a bit more context.

I’m teaching a section on languages that will include Láadan, a constructed language intended to fully express the nuances of female experience in its structure and lexicon. I was hoping for some artwork that showed women in a council or circle of some sort, to reflect the idea of women using Láadan to speak among themselves.

Sadly I’ve been having no luck finding anything like what I want through Google image search. I was hoping for a Council-of-Elrond feel, with women, but using decent artwork rather than the tacky things found on stock photo sites. I’d like it to be fantasy or science fiction rather than modern-day. Still open to suggestions if anyone can find something within those parameters.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Don't ask people that, ever.
    EVER.

If someone thinks (rightly or wrongly) that they're widely hated, they are likely to also expect that any response they could give to that question, including silence, will amplify and spread the (perceived) hate.

I'm speaking from experience here. I used to think everyone hated me. I don't now, but I did.
    Thanks for the tip. I wasn’t aware. :O

People said that to you? That’s awful.

Quote Originally Posted by Palanan View Post
    I asked Metastachydium to post the OP when I was having severe access issues last weekend. On reflection I should’ve included a bit more context.

I’m teaching a section on languages that will include Láadan, a constructed language intended to fully express the nuances of female experience in its structure and lexicon. I was hoping for some artwork that showed women in a council or circle of some sort, to reflect the idea of women using Láadan to speak among themselves.

Sadly I’ve been having no luck finding anything like what I want through Google image search. I was hoping for a Council-of-Elrond feel, with women, but using decent artwork rather than the tacky things found on stock photo sites. I’d like it to be fantasy or science fiction rather than modern-day. Still open to suggestions if anyone can find something within those parameters.
    Maybe you could find a screenshot of the Council and just replace the faces with the faces of famous female linguists.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ettin in the Playground

People said that to you? That’s awful.
    No, only one person said it to me, not multiple.

I'm being vague here because specificity on this topic would go against a lot of things that I don't want to go against. You can DM me if you want me to reply with a list of most (but not all) things it would go against, but only one of those things will have elaboration on why that thing requires vaguery. Be warned that the list is long.
    Last edited by enderlord99; 2024-04-06 at 11:38 AM.
    Show
    Wow.

I salute you.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

No, only one person said it to me, not multiple.

I'm being vague here because specificity on this topic would go against a lot of things that I don't want to go against. You can DM me if you want me to reply with a list of most (but not all) things it would go against, but only one of those things will have elaboration on why that thing requires vaguery. Be warned that the list is long.
    Oh, okay. I won't DM you. I don't want to make you go against your principles and don't need to know the specifics.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Bugbear in the Playground

How is this not the first thing anyone thought of?:

“Rule is what lies between what is said and what is understood.”
    ~Raja Rudatha, the Spider Prince
    Golem Arcana

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Palanan View Post
    I don’t know if you’ve actually checked a “real” stock photo website, but they do have some pretty deep and specific archives. Much more robust than what’s accessible on Google Images. I would be pretty confident you can find something workable on, say, Adobe Stock Photos with a free trial.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Metastachydium View Post
    "I need an image to illustrate a specific concept—a council of women. It can be either fantasy or science fiction, but needs to show a group of women (ideally in a formal setting) engaged in discussion or debate. Can anyone find artwork that shows this?"

(DISCLAIMER For All the People Who Hate Me: This is for Palanan who cannot really access the site as of now. Avenge yourselves on me somewhere else; he suffered quite enough!)
    There is the all women planet from season 1 rick and morty? They had a council. I'm not skilled in the drawing or ai ways or I would try that.

And buddy, I'd give you hug if I could.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ettin in the Playground

I don't want to make you go against your principles
    "My principles" is indeed one element of the list. Good guess!
    and don't need to know the specifics.
    That's good, because I wouldn't give them even if you did express a need for it.
    Show
    Wow.

I salute you.