New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default High level one shot [3.5, closed]

I am seeking a DM to run a one shot, that could, maybe if things go well, turn into an actual campaign.

my Requirements:
    1. 3.5 ONLY no PF
    2. I don't mind gestalt, but if it is, lets try to avoid rocket tag
    3. Level ~15th (absolute minimum 13th)
    4. Some roleplay included

Is there a DM out there who can run a high level one shot for me?

SUMMON CIRCLE OF DM's!

Summon check - (1d100)[63]

Quote Originally Posted by Auranghzeb View Post
    With a 63 you only get a mediocre DM. Here is my pitch:

Theme: Very Classic (Oldie) High Fantasy Dungeonslayer stuff with Norse and Celtic themes.

300 years ago, the heroes Wiglaf and Beowulf defeated the Great Dragon Ashardalon who had killed many in retaliation for the theft of a single golden cup from his hoard. The dragon's body was never found after it plummeted into a wild gorge. Beowulf died in combat and no magic could bring him back. With the richness of the dragon's hoard, your ancestors became powerful Thanes, ruling over thousand of men and pushing the boundaries of their kingdom into the forests before untouched. Their greed created hatred and resentment from fae and men alike and war ensued.
    The fae opened the doors to savage creatures to wage war against men, but they couldn't control them all. A period of darkness ensued, with Castles and Monasteries drawing the scattered humans to their walls, fleeing the beasts released by the fae. Dislodged, the human kingdom divided in four duchies, one of which soon was obliterated by the wildest of the dark beasts released by the fae. The fae had managed to push back men, but their losses were great and tragic.
    For 100 years, there has been a relative peace as both fae and men cleaned the dark beasts that remained. But humans are once again growing in numbers and in their short lived memories there's no place for memories of the war, they start to push beyond where they should go. However, a few years ago, something strange started to happen, slow and steadily, newborns began to show a lack of spirit, as if their childhood had been stolen. It took some time before it became apparent that this was general and that it was not exclusively a human issue.

Who are you?
    You are either The thane of one of the three human kingdoms or a hero of the fae (I won't take more than one Fae hero though). And you are about to venture into the barren lands that once were the fourth human kingdom in search of clues about the illness that plagues newborns.

Spoiler: 16
    Show
    Recruitment: Three characters. Each will have a cohort (lover, squire, etc) UNLESS you have an animal companion or familiar.
    I want concepts first, you can start rolling and doing crunch, but I really won't review sheets right now.

Deadline: Concepts accepted until Saturday 13th. Then I'll be traveling from the 15 to the 25th. But we will discuss with the shortlisted players on final character submission.

16ish:

Looking for 3 players
    3.5 one shot kinda dark in theme
    70/30 Hack&Slash/Roleplaying (Mostly among PCs)
    LVL 16 Single track
    Standard WBL
    No multiclass penalties
    Fractional BAB
    MAX HP
    Point buy 28 or standard 4d6b3 x6 if you are feeling lucky
    Each character Cohort can be a member of the allowed classes.
    Races and classes: Humans, Dryads (standard from the MM), Grigs and Pixies. hellbred, Killoren, Hagspawn
    Classes Any class that fits the theme (I'd be the judge) in the sources. Classes from Heroes of Horror and Ravenloft.
    Sources Core + Complete +Spell Compendium+ Book of Exalted Deeds and Draconomicon
    2 Bonus feats.
    Important House rules for character creation.

Spoiler: House Rules
    Show
    13. Are there any homebrewed or optional/variant rules that your Players should know about? If so, list and explain them, or provide relevant links to learn about these new rules.

Changes to classes

Rangers get full progression on Animal Companion they also apply their FE bonus as an Insight bonus to attack (the bonus to damage remains untyped)

Druid's get the ranger's progression on animal companion.

Fighters and Barbarians get unarmed fighting and do 1d6.

Monks get good BAB

Paladins's spells are based on Charisma, their Smite evil ability works for a full round and it is usable 1/encounter instead of 1/day.

All classes with a d4 hp get d6 instead, and classes with a d6 get d8 instead.

All classes get +2 skill points per level.

Tier 1 classes do not need anything nice, so no SAD archivists, etc.

Feats and stuff:

One flaw, one extra feat. No traits. Flaws are a few of the materials allowed from Dragon Magazine.

Feats every odd level (1,3,5,7) If your would benefit more from a feat at lv 6, I'm sorry, take it at lvl 7.

No double stat to any roll/number even if it's from different sources: i.e. Charisma as Deflection Bonus and Charisma as Dodge bonus do not stack.

I'll type any untyped bonuses (Except the Barbarian's rage and the ranger's FE).

Feats from PF: Vital Strike (and the line of).

Weapon finesse adds Dex to damage.

Bows add Dex to damage, crossbows still need a feat.

Dodge gives you a +2 dodge bonus to AC and Ref Saves.

Iron Will, Great Fortitude, Lightning Reflexes, instead give you GOOD Save progression.

Combat reflexes grants 2 extra AoO no more, AoO builds are horrible in PbP, so are grapplers.

I like combat fast and bloody so:

Natural 20 crits do not need confirmation, other threats do.

A full-attack is a Standard action, max attacks are capped at 6 REGARDLESS of the combination or any ability, max is 6, apply penalties to iteratives as usual.

You can split your movement before and after your standard action, movement provokes AoO as usual.

SPRING attack allows you to Split your movements BETWEEN attacks.

You can't use Aid another for an attack, that's literally what flanking is for.

You can't have more than an extra standard action per round under any circumstances. i.e Factotum + belt of battle.

Notes on your Free cohorts/companion
    I'm basically giving these because Bel wanted some RP. And it's a three people party so you need some action economy and some flexibility. However, these cohorts will be partially NPCs not Thralls to you. Do not conceptualize them as a free set of actions that you can just puppet around. If I see that, I'll take partial control of the cohort. Provide a sound personality and motivation for them please.
    Last edited by BelGareth; 2024-04-22 at 05:11 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A

“Take but degree away, untune that string, And, hark, what discord follows!” -Shakespeare
    “Gnyðja mundu nú grísir, ef þeir vissi, hvat inn gamli þyldi” -Ragnar Lodbrok

"I have a high art; I hurt with cruelty those who would damage me." -Archilochus

Discord -Now with a recruitment bot!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

MindFlayer

Default Re: Seeking GM for mid-to-high one shot [3.5, seeking DM]

This is me showing interest!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

With a 63 you only get a mediocre DM. Here is my pitch:

Theme: Very Classic (Oldie) High Fantasy Dungeonslayer stuff with Norse and Celtic themes.

300 years ago, the heroes Wiglaf and Beowulf defeated the Great Dragon Ashardalon who had killed many in retaliation for the theft of a single golden cup from his hoard. The dragon's body was never found after it plummeted into a wild gorge. Beowulf died in combat and no magic could bring him back. With the richness of the dragon's hoard, your ancestors became powerful Thanes, ruling over thousand of men and pushing the boundaries of their kingdom into the forests before untouched. Their greed created hatred and resentment from fae and men alike and war ensued.
    The fae opened the doors to savage creatures to wage war against men, but they couldn't control them all. A period of darkness ensued, with Castles and Monasteries drawing the scattered humans to their walls, fleeing the beasts released by the fae. Dislodged, the human kingdom divided in four duchies, one of which soon was obliterated by the wildest of the dark beasts released by the fae. The fae had managed to push back men, but their losses were great and tragic.
    For 100 years, there has been a relative peace as both fae and men cleaned the dark beasts that remained. But humans are once again growing in numbers and in their short lived memories there's no place for memories of the war, they start to push beyond where they should go. However, a few years ago, something strange started to happen, slow and steadily, newborns began to show a lack of spirit, as if their childhood had been stolen. It took some time before it became apparent that this was general and that it was not exclusively a human issue.

Who are you?
    You are either The thane of one of the three human kingdoms or a hero of the fae (I won't take more than one Fae hero though). And you are about to venture into the barren lands that once were the fourth human kingdom in search of clues about the illness that plagues newborns.

Spoiler: IF Bel likes the pitch
    Show
    Recruitment: Three characters. Each will have a cohort (lover, squire, etc) UNLESS you have an animal companion or familiar.
    I want concepts first, you can start rolling and doing crunch, but I really won't review sheets right now.

Deadline: Concepts accepted until Saturday 13th. Then I'll be traveling from the 15 to the 25th. But we will discuss with the shortlisted players on final character submission.

16ish:

Looking for 3 players
    3.5 one shot kinda dark in theme
    70/30 Hack&Slash/Roleplaying (Mostly among PCs)
    LVL 16 Single track
    Standard WBL
    No multiclass penalties
    Fractional BAB
    MAX HP
    Races and classes: Humans, Dryads (standard from the MM), Grigs and Pixies.
    Classes Any class that fits the theme (I'd be the judge) in the sources.
    Sources Core + Complete +Spell Compendium+ Book of Exalted Deeds and Draconomicon
    2 Bonus feats.

Last edited by Auranghzeb; 2024-04-08 at 11:14 AM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Looks awesome Auranghzeb!
    Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A

“Take but degree away, untune that string, And, hark, what discord follows!” -Shakespeare

"I have a high art; I hurt with cruelty those who would damage me." -Archilochus

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Cool, Bel cna you change the sufix on the thread to Recruiting?

6. - Top - End - #6
    Barbarian in the Playground

This looks interesting, but I'll wait & see what Bel goes for in terms of character.
    "Even gods must learn to control their tempers, lest they set a bad example."
    The Malazan Book of the Fallen, Steven Erikson

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Cool, Bel cna you change the sufix on the thread to Recruiting?
    Changed and OP updated with your 16, thanks!
    Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Seeking GM for mid-to-high one shot [3.5, seeking Players]

I see Dryad among the available races, but how are you handling the whole "can't move away from designated tree or you die" thing?

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground

I'd be interested. Leaning towards a Cleric, a champion of Odin (who I'm surprised to see already officially exists in 3e).

It would certainly fit a Thane who sought the wisdom and foresight to lead his people in prosperity and justice. Perhaps an older man, a renowned warrior in his youth, who returned in haste to rule his realm upon hearing of his father's untimely death. He sought the wisdom of Odin at first from desperation and a lack of honest guidance, which slowly evolved into a deep and genuine veneration of the Allfather.
    Last edited by Athaleon; 2024-04-09 at 12:49 AM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Quote Originally Posted by watupwithdat View Post
    I see Dryad among the available races, but how are you handling the whole "can't move away from designated tree or you die" thing?

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Heres my WIP:

In the rugged lands far beyond the known territories of old, where the whispers of the ancient Norse gods still touch the earth, lies the clan of Hakon Sigurt Nornson. Leadership within this clan is not a birthright but an honor earned through prowess, wisdom, and the will to survive. Hakkon, chosen by the unforgiving trials set by the clan's traditions, stands as a testament to their values, embodying the very essence of strength, leadership, and strategic acumen.

Leadership Selection: The Trial of Fate
    The Trial of Fate is a brutal survival test designed to challenge the physical strength, mental resilience, and tactical wisdom of each contender. Set in the harshest environments their lands offer, the trial demands not only survival but the ability to lead and protect others under extreme conditions. It is during this trial that Hakon's unmatched endurance, leadership, and strategic thinking emerged, crowning him as the clan leader.

The Witch-Mothers: Guardians of the Clan
    Integral to the clan's societal structure are the Witch-Mothers, three revered figures who serve as counselors, protectors, and guides. Each Witch-Mother embodies a crucial aspect of the clan's survival and prosperity:
    * Skuld, the Seeress of Paths: Skilled in divination, Skuld advises on the best courses of action, interpreting the omens and dreams that guide the clan's future.
    * Verdandi, the Keeper of Knowledge: Guardian of the clan's lore and traditions, Verdandi ensures that the wisdom of the ancestors is preserved and passed down through generations.
    * Urd, the Healer: With deep knowledge of ancient remedies and runes, Urd maintains the physical and spiritual health of the clan, healing wounds and warding off curses.

The Clan's Connection to the Norns
    The lineage of the clan is believed to be blessed by the Norns, the mythical beings who weave the destinies of all. This connection is deeply rooted in their tradition, with each member of the clan striving to embody the virtues of honor, courage, and wisdom that the Norns hold dear. This sacred bond influences their decision-making, their battle strategies, and their societal roles, guiding them in harmony with the threads of fate.
    Societal Structure and Customs
    * Council of Elders: Comprising seasoned warriors, skilled craftspeople, and wise seers, this council advises the leader in matters of war, peace, and trade.
    * Warrior Class: The backbone of the clan, these brave souls are trained from a young age in the art of combat and survival, ready to defend their people and their honor.
    * Craftspeople and Farmers: Essential to the clan's self-sufficiency, these diligent workers cultivate the land and craft the tools, weapons, and artifacts that sustain their way of life.
    * Festivals and Rites: Celebrations are deeply intertwined with the clan's connection to the natural and spiritual worlds, with ceremonies marking the changing seasons, victories in battle, and milestones in the lives of its members.

Spoiler: pic
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Ok, Bumping this up.

@Bel please add the following changes to the Big 16:

Races: hellbred, Killoren, Hagspawn.

Classes:
    Classes from Heroes of Horror and Ravenloft.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

Ok, Bumping this up.

@Bel please add the following changes to the Big 16:

Races: hellbred, Killoren, Hagspawn.

Classes:
    Classes from Heroes of Horror and Ravenloft.
    Roger roger, will do.
    Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: High level one shot [3.5, seeking Players]

The youngest daughter of one of the Thanes, Minerva decided not to wait her brothers to answer the call of the Thanes to figure out what happened to the doomed realm: despise their father being almost blind and very old, her brothers had sons and daughters and the luxury of their courts that held them back into crusading into certain death.

She however had an upcoming marriage she wanted to postpone as much as she wanted: her own.

So in an attempt to trick the fate her father chose to her, she decided to join the Thanes who were going into the destroyed kingdom and perhaps figure out what terrible curse was stealing the light out of her people's eyes.

So she made sure her father's firstborn's chalice was always full during the feast they threw in the eve of his departure and stole his horse and took the provisions for herself and met the other Thanes, claiming she was there as her father's chosen champion: even wearing her brother's face as disguise.

Once her ruse was found out, some of they laughed and some were pissed, but her inspiring words, combat prowess and courage convinced she was no ordinary woman.

She was tailed by Amelia, her handmaiden, who made an oath to advice, serve and protect her, even if against her will.

Spoiler: Minerva of House Glam
    Show
    Minerva is a skilled combatent and orator, being able to inspire heroism to legions and lead them to whatever fate have to offer them.

She's a Chaotic/Good human, Fighter 4 / Bard 2 / War Chanter 10.

She favors the greataxe, but she's honestly trained in pretty much any weapon. She knows a few magical tricks, but her real magic is the ability to inspire people to live the kind of legendary tales people will sing about.

Her cohort is a seamstress and advisor. Also a competent arcane spellcaster capable of weaving illusory magic to veil Minerva and herself into the actual chosen's of her old father.
    Ruven Feathers, tengu opportunist with a keen eye for gold and an accute scent for death.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

This game interests me. I am not going to play in many games, but those I choose will be good ones. This is one of them I like the premise of.

My character is Ragnar the Red, a wizard who is also a Sentinel of Bharrai, from Book of Exalted Deeds. This seems more natural for a druid character, and I would prefer that, but the skill requirements mandate that the only character class which qualifies pre-epic is the wizard, so that is what I will go with.

Ragnar is descended from Duke Forknar of the Duchy which was annihilated by the fae's creatures. They fought a losing battle, and ended up having to withdraw to another land. The Duchy they went to was beheaded in a battle with the fae monsters, when they went to help the besieged neighbour. Forknar was recognised for his nobility and was anointed as Duke of the new land, Veran.

Veran has a governing body called the Althing, which consists of half esteemed retired warriors and half spellcasters. The Duke is first among equals, and is the battlefield leader of the Althing. Domestic and foreign affairs are decided by the Althing as a whole, though the Duke's voice is preeminent, and the Althing almost always agrees with him, effectively serving as an advisory body, though in theory they could overrule him if united.

Ragnar is the current Duke, and he is always accompanied by his niece, a paladin who is also a were-bear. This is actually common among his line. Ragnar is a rare member of his line who is not a were-bear, and to gain prominence among his line, and to gain the respect of the Althing, he became a Sentinel of Bharrai, serving the Guardinal Lord of the Ursinals. Now he can become a bear at will, which is the symbol of his line and has become the symbol of the Duchy as a whole.

Veran is a good aligned nation, with many rangers and paladins among their number. They are unusual in that they don't favour barbarians, and knowledge is revered. It has a fishing based economy, and is volcanic in origin, with many small island communities, though the capital city of Sera is on the mainland and is therefore heavily fortified. This is to defend the capital against the dark fae forces which still cross over into Veran from time to time, avoiding the guard patrols.

Ragnar rose to prominence as a mage as head of the Herst College of Magic, the principal seat of learning for the Duchy. He was apprenticed as a youth, and spent many years alternating between studying at the college and accompanying the patrols along the border. When he became more senior, he became a teacher there, and started to not simply accompany the patrols but to lead them. This was when he became a Sentinel of Bharrai, and his ability to become a bear at will and to therefore track enemies became useful, along with his spellcasting ability. He became Duke after his father was killed in a major attack on Sera. Ragnar fought at that battle, and was instrumental in successfully protecting the city from falling. His massive dire bear body was seen everywhere on the battlefield, and when it wasn't to be seen, his human form was visible casting spells of great power. He was grievously wounded that day, and he was left with a pronounced limp in one leg.

After this battle, he was given the care of his niece who was to be both his heir, who needed instructing, and also was assigned to be his bodyguard, as a powerful warrior in her own right. She is wise, and tends to be less reckless than he is. He can be a bit wild, having gone from being a physically weak wizard to being able to turn into a dire bear at will, so he thinks of himself now as being physically invulnerable. He considers his scarred leg to be a marker of courage, and scars are respected by his people, but they also respect physical perfection, which he no longer possesses. He is a little envious of his niece, Lara, as she is physically perfect and even her few scars are more markers of her perfection than blemishes. The pair are close, but she tends to act as a scold to him, affectionately telling him off when she feels it necessary.

Ragnar is well aware of his responsibilities, but he is an active sort, having been raised that way with his service on the border, so he chafes at spending so much time consulting with the Althing. He respects them, but considers them a little too conservative and safe for his tastes, and he is a little more adventurous compared to them.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Troll in the Playground

I peeked at the Heroes of Horror book since you mentioned that as a valid source so I think I'll make a Pixie Archivist. The combination evokes the imagery of a very small person surrounded by very large books. A hero of the Fae for atypical reasons, not because she's a powerful warrior but because she remembers what others do not and seeks out lost knowledge for the sake of her people (which kinda ties into the events spurring the heroes to action). I like that, though, the idea that a hero of the humans isn't the same metric by which a hero of the Fae might be considered.

The level adjustment is going to hurt but I think I can work with it. It really just means that she'll only have access to up to sixth level spells, rather than up to eighth level spells but given the high stats she'll have because she's a Pixie it should even put with those lower level spells being much stronger anyway.

I'll roll now and start working on that sheet.

Spoiler
    Show
    (4d6b3)[11]
    (4d6b3)[11]
    (4d6b3)[11]
    (4d6b3)[7]
    (4d6b3)[8]
    (4d6b3)[11]
    "Don't think of it as dying," said Death,
    "Just think of it as leaving early to avoid the rush."

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

PirateWench

okay question about this one -
    -
    is this a choose one or the other type thing or can we default back to point buy if the rolls suck ?

Backstory
    Rynea, embarked on a perilous journey into the desolate remnants of what was once the fourth human kingdom. Armed with her keen senses and unwavering determination, she navigated the harsh terrain, where ruins stood as silent witnesses to a forgotten past. Her quest was not for treasure or glory but for answers to a pressing mystery: the mysterious illness afflicting newborns across the realm. With every step, Rynea studied the land's subtle changes, searching for signs of life and ancient knowledge hidden amidst the desolation. Her journey was fraught with challenges, from treacherous terrain to encounters with remnants of long-lost civilizations. Yet, Rynea pressed on, driven by a sense of duty to uncover the truth and bring hope to those in need.

18. - Top - End - #18

Spoiler: Rolls
    Show
    (4d6b3)[6]
    (4d6b3)[9]
    (4d6b3)[12]
    (4d6b3)[11]
    (4d6b3)[17]
    (4d6b3)[17]

My concept is also for the fey hero:
    - a Killoren Archivist, because the long-lived Fey value knowledge as noble... but also an ultimate weapon to be wielded in war. So he'd be the kind of Killoren that actually uses different Aspects depending on the times - kindly and bookish as an Ancient, much more aggressive as a Hunter or Destroyer.

- a Pixie cohort, his bodyguard - probably a Rogue (maybe a Spellthief) -, his unseen and deadly shield.

They would be "traditional" fey too, always willing to make bargains but approaching that from a different perspective than humanoids.

I hadn't posted because I hadn't made a full write-up, but since it has some superficial similarities with InfernallyClay's concept, I need to start staking my claim.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ettin in the Playground

I should do a longer writeup for my concept as well.

Torgrim the Farsighted

Spoiler: Appearance
    Show

Spoiler: Background
    Show

Torgrim Ulricsson was a fearsome warrior in his youth, ranging far to battle man and monster alike. The only son of Ulric Bloodaxe, Thane of Edrengard, young Torgrim was encouraged (if not outright pressured) by his father to become a warrior of great prowess and renown. As heir to a fractious realm ever seething with unrest, he'd been taught that the peace (such as it was) was kept only by steel, and the threat of steel, and young Torgrim took his father's words to heart.

He was just six and twenty when his father died under mysterious circumstances. News was late reaching him in the hinterlands, and upon his return to Edren's Hold he found most of his remaining family also dead, and a den of vipers waiting for him. He burned to avenge his kin and take the throne that was his birthright, but a youth spent campaigning with sworn and trusted men left him woefully unprepared for the intrigue and clandestine battles that awaited him. His only saving graces were that he learned fast, he understood the power of reputation, he knew when to use violence and to strike hard and fast when he did—and he sought advice from the only source he knew he could trust.

Torgrim was long convinced that divine favor had seen him through many a scrape that, by all rights, he should not have survived. With more sincerity than he'd ever managed in the heat of battle—not to mention more humility than he believed himself capable of—he made true obeisance to Odin, and begged the wisdom to help him in the challenges ahead, and rule his people rightly. It had apparently pleased the Allfather of Asgard to grant him such, for Torgrim found he no longer merely saw the hand of the gods in the happenstance of the world, but he could channel divine power directly. This direct favor alone won many allies to his cause, though it alienated much of the priesthood, who variously accused Torgrim of being a charlatan, or else wrung their hands and professed worry that so much temporal and spiritual power should be concentrated in such an entitled and bloodthirsty young man. "Let him forsake his worldly titles and live to honor the gods, as he should," they insisted. Torgrim of course refused, arguing that he had in truth been given his heavenly gifts so that he may prove a worthy liege-lord to his people in turn. Those priests who opposed him, power-hungry charlatans that they themselves were, led the opposition to Torgrim's rule almost to the bitter end.

It was more than ten years from his return to Edren's Hold to the day the last opposing clans gave up their claims of independence from Edrengard. Torgrim had made his share of mistakes, but strength, wit, determination, and divine providence had seen his people through to peace and unity at last. By then well into his middle years, Thane Torgrim had long since had his fill of bloodshed, and he finally had capable and loyal people around him to whom the safety of his realm could be entrusted. But though he could step back from personally leading his forces, his duties of rule—and of family, for he had married the day after peace was sworn—practically required his full attention. He never forgot his duties to the Allfather either, honoring the gods by leading with wisdom and strength, as he had promised, using Odin's gifts to enrich all.

In the decades since, Edrengard has prospered, and remained at peace with itself. Thane Torgrim Ulricsson had seen it safely through all crises and threats from outside, earning the name Torgrim the Farsighted; that this was done to erase some of the memory of his father's bloody rule, and to imply that his early mistakes were actually deliberate moves in a long game, is now mostly forgotten. Now well into his old age, and determined not to make the same mistakes as his father, Torgrim made sure his oldest son was truly ready to inherit the throne. Arnulf Torgrimsson has ruled in all but title for the past several years, and has done well—albeit with few challenges to test him, until now.

The recent phenomenon has caused unrest to boil once again in Edrengard, and no children were spared, including one of Torgrim's own grandchildren. The decision was reached by the Thane and his family that Torgrim would investigate the curse, accompanied by his youngest son Sigurd—whose newborn daughter is afflicted. In the event the worst should happen, Arnulf was crowned Thane shortly before Torgrim's departure, so that he could properly see Erengard through this time of crisis with the rest of his family's help.

Spoiler: Mechanics
    Show

Definitely Human, probably Neutral Good, possibly Lawful Good.

Given his base class and background, Thorgrim can be a caster-focused or melee-focused character, depending on what the party has/needs/wants. I'd lean toward Cleric 5 / Divine Oracle 5 / Contemplative 6 in either case.

His cohort Sigurd will certainly be a warrior-type of some kind—maybe leaning toward Bard type classes to represent a Skald.

Spoiler: Stat Rolls
    Show

(4d6b3)[10]
    (4d6b3)[10]
    (4d6b3)[12]
    (4d6b3)[10]
    (4d6b3)[15]
    (4d6b3)[13]

Edit: Oof. Not as bad as some of the rolls ITT but significantly worse than 28 PB. I should have seen this coming
    Last edited by Athaleon; 2024-04-12 at 07:27 PM.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

There are some good ideas here. Chimaera, Bel and Infernally Clay, Please start building your characters and your cohorts.

Let's say 2 weeks time? I will be mostly offline for the next 10 days anyway since I'll be on the road for work.

@Bel, can you change the status of this to Filled?

21. - Top - End - #21
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Good luck to those who were accepted. Hope you have fun. It is an interesting premise.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Quote Originally Posted by paradox26 View Post
    Good luck to those who were accepted. Hope you have fun. It is an interesting premise.
    I'll keep you in mind. It's just I like to be decisive in recruitment and don't make people waste time in submissions, specially at these high levels where developing a character means several hours of work.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

I would appreciate that. Don't worry, I never hold a grudge about these things. Can't get accepted into every game I apply for, and as a frequent DM myself, I understand where you are coming from.

24. - Top - End - #24

I'll keep you in mind. It's just I like to be decisive in recruitment and don't make people waste time in submissions, specially at these high levels where developing a character means several hours of work.
    That's definitely appreciated!

Have a good game

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

There are some good ideas here. Chimaera, Bel and Infernally Clay, Please start building your characters and your cohorts.

Let's say 2 weeks time? I will be mostly offline for the next 10 days anyway since I'll be on the road for work.

@Bel, can you change the status of this to Filled?
    Will do.

Also for the other players, I’ll be building a dagger spell mage. Oh yeah
    Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BelGareth View Post
    Will do.

Also for the other players, I’ll be building a dagger spell mage. Oh yeah
    I'll be building a fighter / bard / war chanter for Minerva and for cohort I'm still thinking, but the idea is to be an arcane spellcaster support. No idea what her cohort will be though yet.

Plan is to use inspire legion to buff everyone's base attack bonus to +15 and use other inspirations for mass buffs (maybe dragonfire inspiration as well).
    Ruven Feathers, tengu opportunist with a keen eye for gold and an accute scent for death.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: High level one shot [3.5, closed]

As stated I'll be playing a Pixie Archivist, which has some very strong untyped buffs that will presumably stack with whatever buffs Chimaera's character will provide.

Sionainn, which is pronounced the same as Shannon, does have some melee capabilities (weirdly enough). Due to her crazy high dexterity score and built in Weapon Finesse, I picked up the Sword of Graceful Strikes because it allows me to add her dexterity instead of her strength to the damage of her attacks with it. So her damage in melee will be pretty respectable and her AC should be quite high too. She's still primarily a caster, though, so I'll be looking into control spells, self-buffs and damage spells.
    "Don't think of it as dying," said Death,
    "Just think of it as leaving early to avoid the rush."

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Important House rules for character creation.

Spoiler: House Rules
    Show
    13. Are there any homebrewed or optional/variant rules that your Players should know about? If so, list and explain them, or provide relevant links to learn about these new rules.

Changes to classes

Rangers get full progression on Animal Companion they also apply their FE bonus as an Insight bonus to attack (the bonus to damage remains untyped)

Druid's get the ranger's progression on animal companion.

Fighters and Barbarians get unarmed fighting and do 1d6.

Monks get good BAB

Paladins's spells are based on Charisma, their Smite evil ability works for a full round and it is usable 1/encounter instead of 1/day.

All classes with a d4 hp get d6 instead, and classes with a d6 get d8 instead.

All classes get +2 skill points per level.

Tier 1 classes do not need anything nice, so no SAD archivists, etc.

Feats and stuff:

One flaw, one extra feat. No traits. Flaws are a few of the materials allowed from Dragon Magazine.

Feats every odd level (1,3,5,7) If your would benefit more from a feat at lv 6, I'm sorry, take it at lvl 7.

No double stat to any roll/number even if it's from different sources: i.e. Charisma as Deflection Bonus and Charisma as Dodge bonus do not stack.

I'll type any untyped bonuses (Except the Barbarian's rage and the ranger's FE).

Feats from PF: Vital Strike (and the line of).

Weapon finesse adds Dex to damage.

Bows add Dex to damage, crossbows still need a feat.

Dodge gives you a +2 dodge bonus to AC and Ref Saves.

Iron Will, Great Fortitude, Lightning Reflexes, instead give you GOOD Save progression.

Combat reflexes grants 2 extra AoO no more, AoO builds are horrible in PbP, so are grapplers.

I like combat fast and bloody so:

Natural 20 crits do not need confirmation, other threats do.

A full-attack is a Standard action, max attacks are capped at 6 REGARDLESS of the combination or any ability, max is 6, apply penalties to iteratives as usual.

You can split your movement before and after your standard action, movement provokes AoO as usual.

SPRING attack allows you to Split your movements BETWEEN attacks.

You can't use Aid another for an attack, that's literally what flanking is for.

You can't have more than an extra standard action per round under any circumstances. i.e Factotum + belt of battle.

Notes on your Free cohorts/companion
    I'm basically giving these because Bel wanted some RP. And it's a three people party so you need some action economy and some flexibility. However, these cohorts will be partially NPCs not Thralls to you. Do not conceptualize them as a free set of actions that you can just puppet around. If I see that, I'll take partial control of the cohort. Provide a sound personality and motivation for them please.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

Welp, I gotta read these changes! lol
    '
    Here is Hakkon so far, not updated with the adjustments above.
    Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

Will have time to write down my character this weekend.

Thinking in maybe go paladin instead of fighter, but will work it out tomorrow.

Question: can we roll 4d6b3? And if we do we stick to the rolls, right?