New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Default Star Wars: Tales of the Empire official trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8SIST9t72kY

In the vein of Tales of the Jedi, a new series of shorts is dropping on May the Fourth. Holy crap this looks good to me. Much better than Acolyte.
    Campaigning in my home brewed world for the since spring of 2020 - started a campaign journal to keep track of what is going on a few levels in. It starts here: https://www.worldanvil.com/w/the-ter...report-article

Created an interactive character sheet for sidekicks on Google Sheets - automatic calculations, drop down menus for sidekick type, hopefully everything necessary to run a sidekick: https://tinyurl.com/y6rnyuyc

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

Default Re: Star Wars: Tales of the Empire official trailer

It's kind of embarrassing how much the cartoons just run laps around the live action series. Ahsoka, Mandolorian and Book of Boba all would have gone up a letter grade if they looked this good

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm very dubious that they can make Barriss make sense

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Errorname View Post
    It's kind of embarrassing how much the cartoons just run laps around the live action series.
    When you don't have to deal with annoying things like sets, and actors...
    If one can harness the tech that gives cinematics of the quality of the game Diablo III or IV (the cut scenes as but one example are very good, as are the intro and outro scenes for each act) why would you go for the lower grade stuff that was in these trailers?
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    If one can harness the tech that gives cinematics of the quality of the game Diablo III or IV (the cut scenes as but one example are very good, as are the intro and outro scenes for each act) why would you go for the lower grade stuff that was in these trailers?
    This style was designed for producing an actual show on a TV budget and going for a photorealistic level of detail is very expensive and largely unnecessary, the style still works and looks good.

6. - Top - End - #6

NecromancerGuy

This style was designed for producing an actual show on a TV budget and going for a photorealistic level of detail is very expensive and largely unnecessary, the style still works and looks good.
    There's a fan animation - Battle of the Heroes that does the entire Anakin v. Obi-wan fight on Mustafar in Clone Wars style. It's superb.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

Agreed. Seven years ago, SWTOR dropped the 'Betrayed' trailer for its Knights of the Eternal Throne expansion. And while it looks fantastic, it was also widely claimed to cost $1 million dollars per minute of footage. That might be justifiable when trying to hype up a game expansion that was, at the time, pulling in huge amounts of subscription money, but it doesn't work for TV, where it would cost something on the order of $20 million per episode.

The style used in TCW, which has received vast improvements over time as technology has advanced and the animators have gotten better at using it, is really quite ideal for making Star Wars content at a price point that makes sense.
    Now publishing a webnovel travelogue.

Resvier: a P6 homebrew setting

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Saw three episodes. Immediate thought: it's called "Tales of the Empire" and there's a story about the CIS and Dathomir witches. No Empire. I thought this was supposed to be Tales of The Empire?

Anyway, Grievous's ridiculous mustache-twirling villainy aside, writing seemed decent albeit butchered in delivery. It's like the voice actors *literally* phoned it in, the only reason I don't think that actually happened was the audio quality. But jeez, the voice acting reeks of unrehearsed first-takes only. Why the director would find this acceptable I have no idea.

Anyway. We actually get the Empire in episode 2, only for them to mostly disappear right back in episode 3. Why is this called "Tales of the Empire" and not "Tales of Morgan Elisbeth"?

Ridiculously poor title aside, it's actually better than I expected. Terrible delivery only lasted the first episode. Still, hopefully the second half will be more interesting - seems like they just focused on Ahsoka villain backstory in the first three.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 1

9. - Top - End - #9

ClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Saw three episodes. Immediate thought: it's called "Tales of the Empire" and there's a story about the CIS and Dathomir witches. No Empire. I thought this was supposed to be Tales of The Empire?

Anyway, Grievous's ridiculous mustache-twirling villainy aside, writing seemed decent albeit butchered in delivery. It's like the voice actors *literally* phoned it in, the only reason I don't think that actually happened was the audio quality. But jeez, the voice acting reeks of unrehearsed first-takes only. Why the director would find this acceptable I have no idea.

Anyway. We actually get the Empire in episode 2, only for them to mostly disappear right back in episode 3. Why is this called "Tales of the Empire" and not "Tales of Morgan Elisbeth"?

Ridiculously poor title aside, it's actually better than I expected. Terrible delivery only lasted the first episode. Still, hopefully the second half will be more interesting - seems like they just focused on Ahsoka villain backstory in the first three.
    I'd say the next two for you are pretty Empire focused, with the final one a bit Empire focused.

I'd tend to agree that Tales of Morgan and Tales of Barriss would have been better (and then they could have broken it in half to get two releases out of it, rather than dumping them altogether?

I will say, I was glad to see an attempt to make Dathomir not a monoculture, even if I'm not sure how other 'clans' works with what we see of Dathomir in other media (especially Fallen Order). I also really enjoyed how no one else on Dathomir knew why the droid army had come and so was, reasonably, afraid they'd be genocided too (which they may indeed have been) and Morgan's total unwillingness (or to be fair, lack of knowledge as she's clearly very junior) that this entire thing is happening because Mother Talzin deliberately double-crossed Dooku and is attempting to kill him.

We also don't see the army of the dead or any of the Nightbrothers, which is a shame, given how much I think poor Feral has been totally forgotten by Star Wars's desire to rehab Asajj.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by ecarden View Post
    I'd say the next two for you are pretty Empire focused, with the final one a bit Empire focused.

I'd tend to agree that Tales of Morgan and Tales of Barriss would have been better (and then they could have broken it in half to get two releases out of it, rather than dumping them altogether?

I will say, I was glad to see an attempt to make Dathomir not a monoculture, even if I'm not sure how other 'clans' works with what we see of Dathomir in other media (especially Fallen Order). I also really enjoyed how no one else on Dathomir knew why the droid army had come and so was, reasonably, afraid they'd be genocided too (which they may indeed have been) and Morgan's total unwillingness (or to be fair, lack of knowledge as she's clearly very junior) that this entire thing is happening because Mother Talzin deliberately double-crossed Dooku and is attempting to kill him.

We also don't see the army of the dead or any of the Nightbrothers, which is a shame, given how much I think poor Feral has been totally forgotten by Star Wars's desire to rehab Asajj.
    Ok, so in retrospect, the show was pretty good. Not great, but decently good (biggest issues were the awful line delivery in episode 1 and the "I'm bad! Now I'm good! Now you're good!" whiplash in 4-6).

But i hate it as "Stories of the Empire". You hit the nail on the head with "stories of Morgan Elsbeth and Barris Offee". That's the real title. The Empire is practically an afterthought in the first three and little more than set dressing in the latter three. I still have the old Legends novel Tales from the Empire. Which actually had tales, and from the Empire! They even had a straight guide for this!
    Last edited by Peelee; 2024-05-07 at 08:12 AM.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 1

11. - Top - End - #11
    Orc in the Playground

Only two episodes are worth being called Tales of the Empire I'd say. Episode 2 and episode 4 which were coincidentally the two that worked the best.

Also can we come up with a new Tale of the Empire other than bad lady Empire type becomes a goodie cause we've had that, what, three times in recent succession with this, the Obi-Wan show, and that canon videogame based on Operation Cinder.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

Honestly I'm not too sure I liked Barriss's story. The last time we saw her she had totally gone off the deep end. She blew up the Jedi Temple, she framed Ahsoka, she attacked Asajj Ventress, fought (and quickly lost to) Anakin... Even if she was right about the Jedi Order, that they had fallen from the light they once held so dear, she hadn't merely fallen from the light - she had embraced the dark.

So for her half of Tales of the Empire to be about how she was actually still a nice person was just weird. I get that sixty minutes isn't a particularly long time to show her realising how far she had fallen herself and reverse course, but they really should have tried harder.

Like maybe Barriss finds Ahsoka, for example, and they fight but Ahsoka doesn't hate Barriss regardless of how much Barriss wants her to. Something like...

"Revenge is not the Jedi way."
    "You are no Jedi!"
    "Perhaps, but you still could be."

...then you get to see Barriss as she was in the third epiwode.
    "Don't think of it as dying," said Death,
    "Just think of it as leaving early to avoid the rush."

13. - Top - End - #13
    Orc in the Playground

Maybe Darth Vader could have sensed weakness still in her or something, or at least said he remembered what happened which could give her a need to take the nearest exit as soon as bloody possible.

But no he was just on screen for maybe 20 seconds more than he was in the trailer. What a tease for absolutely nada.

Was weird how much they treated Bariss with kid gloves really given what we've heard and seen in regard to Inquisitor training before.