New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default What is the MacGuffin they are fighting over?

Due to the fact that magic is broken on a vast scale, a tribe of gnolls (who hate wemics) have appeared from another plane on one side of a large field. A tribe of wemics (who hate gnolls) are on the other side of the same field. Neither group knows where they are, how they got there, or how to get home.

In the center, there is a something – something important. It is crucial to each group that they not allow the enemy to get it. It is not sharable.

What is it?

[Yes, I am setting up a medium-sized battle that nobody wants and that nobody can prevent. The PCs will also be on that field, taking a rest and eating lunch.]

So what are they fighting over? It shouldn’t be something that would be too powerful in the hands of 10th level PCs. It's supposed to be the problem, not the solution.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: What is the MacGuffin they are fighting over?

I'm not sure why you need a macguffin at all. Two tribes who hate each other are pulled randomly to a neutral battlefield in another plane, look across, see each other, assume the other group is responsible (because anybody would in this situation) and charge to attack their hated enemy.

If you absolutely feel the need for a physical object, but don't want to give magic items to the party who will eventually be the party that walks away from this debacle, then make it a non-magical totem of cultural significance. To the gnolls, the... i don't know... 10 foot wooden pole, staved into the earth, adorned with scraps of dyed hide , vulture feathers, and a goat skull is the long lost battle standard of Grummsh Garouk, the ancient demigod founder of their tribe. To the Wemics, its the shamanistic emblem that their tribes shamans use as a focus when calling for spells. they both think its native to their tribe and think the other group stole it from them (when, truthfully, it was just a random assortment of junk a kobold put together and sold to both tribes centuries ago.) Bam. Sorted.
    Last edited by Wintermoot; 2024-04-04 at 05:47 PM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

Flumph

Cloak of Stinking cloud . Each tribe claims its a sacred relic owned by thier god .

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

Hmm... if you need a random, powerful artefact around 10th level, a Deck of Many Things is fun (our definitions of fun may be completely different).

The usual disclaimers apply if you throw a Deck of Many Things into the mix, if players decide to use it. Some party members may randomly die or have their character plans completely derailed. The party may become unbalanced due to massive wealth changes, or other things might happen that completely change your campaign plans. You know, the usual stuff.

If that doesn't work for you, I'd just look for a good item in the 10K gold range, but not something that people would automatically buy. Maybe some Winged Boots or something like that.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Wintermoot View Post
    I'm not sure why you need a macguffin at all. Two tribes who hate each other are pulled randomly to a neutral battlefield in another plane, look across, see each other, assume the other group is responsible (because anybody would in this situation) and charge to attack their hated enemy.
    I need the MacGuffin so neither side can decide to retreat and pick a better time and place to fight. They have to have a battle they don't want and aren't prepared for, with the PCs in the way.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
    Due to the fact that magic is broken on a vast scale, a tribe of gnolls (who hate wemics) have appeared from another plane on one side of a large field. A tribe of wemics (who hate gnolls) are on the other side of the same field. Neither group knows where they are, how they got there, or how to get home.

In the center, there is a something – something important. It is crucial to each group that they not allow the enemy to get it. It is not sharable.

What is it?

[Yes, I am setting up a medium-sized battle that nobody wants and that nobody can prevent. The PCs will also be on that field, taking a rest and eating lunch.]

So what are they fighting over? It shouldn’t be something that would be too powerful in the hands of 10th level PCs. It's supposed to be the problem, not the solution.

A very big stone with "Peace on Earth" written on the bottom.

That, or the Book of Exalted Deeds.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Bugbear in the Playground

Hmm. Needs to be big enough the PC's (or an enterprising NPC) can't just walk off with it, and powerful enough that neither side can risk losing it....

A fort or castle. Ruin and magic it up to your own taste. The tribe that occupies said structure will have a significant advantage in a strange land with potential enemies all around and no clear way home.
    And it's a bit big for the PC's to stuff into their portable hole.
    I am rel.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

The hunter's call
    This is a relic sacred to wilderness hunter cultures (such as gnolls, wemics, centaurs and more). The myths say these are special weapons made by an ancient wild god of The Hunt (or a similar concept in your world). Possesion of the hunter's call often grants great benefits to it's wielder, to their clan, not the least is great reknown and respect.

Statistics:
    -----------------
    # Many forms: The hunters call can change it's form to one of the following weapons, by using a move action: short spear, long spear, javelin, dagger, hand axe, short bow, long bow (including composite). In whatever form, the hunter's call is made of primitive looking materials, though of masterful make, and trh strength of current days weapons (the wood from and old gnarled redwood, strings from animal cords, blades from chipped stone, and similar).

# Weapons enhancement: +1, variable bane quality (2 times per day the wielder may change the designated bane quality as a full round action)

# The Hunter's call can use certain powers using stored charges. It can have between 0-5 charges. Charging it requiring designating a "prey"- specific creature of CR equal or more than the wielders, and killing it within 24 hours. The wielder must deal more than half the damage needed to kill the prey in order to succeed in the hunt. Each time the wielder successfully hunts a prey in this manner charges The Hunter's Call with 1 charge.

Boon powers:
    - Old Blessing (Sp):
    The wielder may cast any spell from 1-3rd level on the ranger's spell list. This consumes a number of charges equal to the spell's level.
    - Tribal boon (Su):
    The wielder grants all allies in a 30 ft radius (centered on the wielder) the same bane quality currently used by The Hunter's call for 10 rounds. This ability uses 5 charges (A fully charged hunter's call)
    - Hunter's senses: The wielder gains one of the following abilities for 1 hour: Scent, blindsight 30 ft, tremor sense, skill focus (perception), darkvision (If the wielder allready has dark vision, it extends the rage by 60ft). The cost is 1 charge per ability.

Summary:
    The hunter's call is flavorful, and has many thematic abilities. It's main "shtick" is the variable Bane ability, and having to "hunt prey" in order to gain charges. While the "old blessing" may seem powerful, the cost of charges is a deterrence. The tribal boon is quite powerful for a party, but requires fully charging the item, and the depleting it. The hunter senses is situational, yet very very fitting in theme.

You can of course alter the item to suit your purposes. You may even make it intelligent (though in that case, I'd suggest it can communicate only by empathy- wild surges of primal emotions and visions), with a purpose of hunting the biggest prey.

Good luck with your game!

1. Special projects:
    Campaign logs archive, Campaign planning log, Tactical mass combat Homebrew, A unique monsters compendium.
    2. My campaign logs:
    Three from a GM's POV, One from a player's POV. Very detailed, including design and GMing discussions.
    3. Various roleplay and real life musings and anecdotes:
    For those interested, from serious to funny!

Thanks for reading!

9. - Top - End - #9
    Firbolg in the Playground

It's some kind of thing that can send them back to where they came from, or at least tell them where that is.

Like maybe some kind of portal that seems to decide where it's open to based on who's winning the battle

Quote Originally Posted by Unoriginal View Post
    I really like that

That, or the Book of Exalted Deeds.
    Now that you mention it, one of those artifacts that disappears after use would explain why they can't both use it
    Last edited by Bohandas; 2024-04-05 at 11:21 AM.
    "If you want to understand biology don't think about vibrant throbbing gels and oozes, think about information technology" -Richard Dawkins

Omegaupdate Forum

WoTC Forums Archive + Indexing Projext

PostImage, a free and sensible alternative to Photobucket

Temple+ Modding Project for Atari's Temple of Elemental Evil

Morrus' RPG Forum (EN World v2)

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Perfect.

“♫ Listen, children, to a story
    That was written long ago
    'Bout a gnoll tribe on a mountain
    And the wemic-folk below…♪”

[Now I need to create One Tin Golem to ride away.]

Quote Originally Posted by Bohandas View Post
    It's some kind of thing that can send them back to where they came from, or at least tell them where that is.

Like maybe some kind of portal that seems to decide where it's open to based on who's winning the battle
    This could work very well. It's now one of the two ideas I'm considering.

Quote Originally Posted by Kol Korran View Post
    The hunter's call
    This is a relic sacred to wilderness hunter cultures (such as gnolls, wemics, centaurs and more). The myths say these are special weapons made by an ancient wild god of The Hunt (or a similar concept in your world). Possesion of the hunter's call often grants great benefits to it's wielder, to their clan, not the least is great reknown and respect.
    This could work incredibly well, although it would completely change what the encounter would be.

The PCs are now searching for five great artifacts that are needed to try to repair the world and its magic. One of them needs to be suitable for a Ranger.

So if I use this idea, instead of the party merely being in the way of a great battle, they would need to try to get the artifact safely, against the will of both armies.

---

These forums are great. Every time I ask for help, I get more great ideas than I can possibly use. Thank you all.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Imp

Perfect.

“♫ Listen, children, to a story
    That was written long ago
    'Bout a gnoll tribe on a mountain
    And the wemic-folk below…♪”

[Now I need to create One Tin Golem to ride away.]

This could work very well. It's now one of the two ideas I'm considering.

This could work incredibly well, although it would completely change what the encounter would be.

The PCs are now searching for five great artifacts that are needed to try to repair the world and its magic. One of them needs to be suitable for a Ranger.

So if I use this idea, instead of the party merely being in the way of a great battle, they would need to try to get the artifact safely, against the will of both armies.

---

These forums are great. Every time I ask for help, I get more great ideas than I can possibly use. Thank you all.
    What if there is a deity of the hunt nearby, and while what the two sides are willing to kill each other for isn't actually an artifact, just a symbol of peace, the deity will reward the PCs if they manage to avert the fight with that Hunter's Call artifact.

As in, both the Gnolls and the Wemics are hunters, the deity is against them killing each other because a) the deity is against hate-motivated slaughters b) the deity thinks fellow hunters killing each other is not only a stupid, sad tragedy due to the lives lost or forever marked, but also endangers the worship of the hunt. So it is up to the PCs (or even the Ranger in particular) to make both sides not kill each other.

Maybe there could be a very dangerous beast to hunt nearby, and it will only be taken down if the PCs, the Gnolls and the Wemics work together.

Darmok and Jalal at Tanagra.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ettin in the Playground

What is it?

A Weirdstone! Maybe one that can only be activated in that region. Or one that would require a significant investment. And then you have the exciting question of "How did the creatures appear there when there's a weirdstone there. Which adds a nice fun mystery.
    My Avatar is Glimtwizzle, a Gnomish Fighter/Illusionist by Cuthalion.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Firbolg in the Playground

Even though they both just got there and have no connection to it they consider the land rightfully theirs. Obviously their arrival there is a sign that they were meant to have it
    Last edited by Bohandas; 2024-04-16 at 01:53 AM.
    "If you want to understand biology don't think about vibrant throbbing gels and oozes, think about information technology" -Richard Dawkins

Omegaupdate Forum

WoTC Forums Archive + Indexing Projext

PostImage, a free and sensible alternative to Photobucket

Temple+ Modding Project for Atari's Temple of Elemental Evil

Morrus' RPG Forum (EN World v2)

14. - Top - End - #14
    Pixie in the Playground

Zombie

A powerful psionic item that without magic-psionic transparency, functions without magic.