New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Question In Search of a Rogue ACF for Fast Movement

As the title suggests, looking for a Rogue Alternate Class Feature (ACF) / Substitution Levels / Pathfinder Class Archetype that adds the fast movement progression of a Monk (+10ft movement speed every 3 levels) to the Rogue and/or Ninja class. One would think the Ninja in particular would have this available, closely related as it is to both the Monk and the Rogue, but I am struggling to find it.

Specifically playing a Pathfinder 1E game, but D&D 3.0 and 3.5 finds are allowed. Pathfinder 1E, D&D 3.0/3.5 (including both "official" campaign settings as well as 3rd party), and both Dragon/Dungeon Magazine are all acceptable sources... just no homebrew, please (could come up with a balanced archetype myself, but prefer a published ruleset). Character is planned to be an Unchained Rogue/Ninja, and would happily sacrifice Trap Sense / Trapfinding and perhaps other features for the pure speed.

I have found a Fighter ACF from a D&D 3.0 Dragonlance book (I believe it was the "Tarmak Fighter" from Races of Ansalon) that gives the Fighter class the Monk's movement speed (as well as some Armor Class improvements) in exchange for some of the bonus feats and armor proficiencies, and that's pretty much exactly what I'm looking for except needing it on a Rogue chassis.

The Scout class has up to +20ft movement speed, but just doesn't fit the flavor of the build, nor does it have all the abilities and class features of the Rogue that I'm looking for. Might take 1 level of Barbarian just for the +10ft speed, but preference is to stay pure rogue. Open to Ninja class as well (either supplementing or replacing Rogue), as it fits the aesthetics and flavor of the build.

Any help finding a Monk-like Fast Movement progression option for a D&D 3.0/3.5 Rogue/Ninja, or for a Pathfinder 1E Rogue / Unchained Rogue would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGuy

Default Re: In Search of a Rogue ACF for Fast Movement

Are you in cold terrain in your campaign? SRD has Frostfell Terrain Mastery for a 10-foot land speed boost as a Rogue special ability, so you'd have to wait until Rogue 10 for it, but it's an option.
    Quote Originally Posted by Maat Mons View Post
    "Look, Monk training involves toughening the body with repeated blows. That includes toughening the head with repeated blows to the head. A little brain damage is unavoidable, and I'd thank you not to mock my medical condition."

3. - Top - End - #3
    Pixie in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Whoa, cool find, Multitude (pun ALWAYS intended... ). Not quite what I'm looking for, but definitely useful and noted for future reference.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Firbolg in the Playground

The monk's fast movement is an enhancement bonus to your speed, meaning it doesn't stack with most magic items and spells that provide bonuses to movement speed, many of which are quite inexpensive.

Look up speed optimization. A little money can go a long way.

https://forums.giantitp.com/showthre...ble-Land-Speed

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MultitudeMan View Post
    Are you in cold terrain in your campaign? SRD has Frostfell Terrain Mastery for a 10-foot land speed boost as a Rogue special ability, so you'd have to wait until Rogue 10 for it, but it's an option.
    If wait for 10th-level Special Ability - then it's possible to just take the Bonus Feat: Improved Speed

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

The Canny Scoundrel archetype from Spheres of Might can take the Athletics sphere and the Swift Movement talent to gain a +10 competence bonus to speed, which increases by 5 feet for every 5 ranks you have in Acrobatics.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Delden Roev View Post
    As the title suggests, looking for a Rogue Alternate Class Feature (ACF) / Substitution Levels / Pathfinder Class Archetype that adds the fast movement progression of a Monk (+10ft movement speed every 3 levels) to the Rogue and/or Ninja class. One would think the Ninja in particular would have this available, closely related as it is to both the Monk and the Rogue, but I am struggling to find it.

Specifically playing a Pathfinder 1E game, but D&D 3.0 and 3.5 finds are allowed. Pathfinder 1E, D&D 3.0/3.5 (including both "official" campaign settings as well as 3rd party), and both Dragon/Dungeon Magazine are all acceptable sources... just no homebrew, please (could come up with a balanced archetype myself, but prefer a published ruleset). Character is planned to be an Unchained Rogue/Ninja, and would happily sacrifice Trap Sense / Trapfinding and perhaps other features for the pure speed.

I have found a Fighter ACF from a D&D 3.0 Dragonlance book (I believe it was the "Tarmak Fighter" from Races of Ansalon) that gives the Fighter class the Monk's movement speed (as well as some Armor Class improvements) in exchange for some of the bonus feats and armor proficiencies, and that's pretty much exactly what I'm looking for except needing it on a Rogue chassis.

The Scout class has up to +20ft movement speed, but just doesn't fit the flavor of the build, nor does it have all the abilities and class features of the Rogue that I'm looking for. Might take 1 level of Barbarian just for the +10ft speed, but preference is to stay pure rogue. Open to Ninja class as well (either supplementing or replacing Rogue), as it fits the aesthetics and flavor of the build.

Any help finding a Monk-like Fast Movement progression option for a D&D 3.0/3.5 Rogue/Ninja, or for a Pathfinder 1E Rogue / Unchained Rogue would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
    Are you averse to dips? Or are you looking for something without dips?

Spoiler: List of Stuff for Fast Movement
    Show

Speed increase - aka Fast Movement, +10' land speed each unless otherwise noted
    Barbarian 1
    Monk 3/6/9/12/15/18, +10 each
    Paladin 5, class variant, Complete Champion, +10' all speeds, only while underground
    Ranger 6, class variant, Complete Warrior, +10'
    Scout 3, 11/20, Complete Adventurer +10 (land)
    Speed of Thought, feat, XPH - +10' insight bonus
    Animal Lord (horselord) 3, ecl 8, Complete Adventurer, +10, +20 at level 7, see text
    Bloodhound 3, 6, 9, ecl 7, Complete Adventurer, +10 each when chasing mark
    Wild Plains Outrider 2, ecl 8, Complete Adventurer, +10 for mount (all modes)
    Dash, feat, Complete Adventurer, +5' (does not specify land only)
    Wildrunner 1, ecl 6, Races of the Wild, +10'
    Whisperknife 6, ecl 11, Races of the Wild
    Pregrine Runner 5, ecl 12, Races of Stone
    Shadow Scout 2, ecl 8, Oriental Adventures
    Dervish 2/5/8 (+5/+10/+15)
    Gnome Giant-Slayer 6, ecl 11, Complete Warrior
    Minor Shapeshift, reserve feat, Complete Mage - +5' enhancement, limited duration, see text
    Celerity, domain, Complete Diving, +10'
    Cheetah's Speed, wild feat, Complete Divine - speed becomes 50' for 1 hour, once per hour can move at 10X speed
    Geomancer 3 (stage 2 drift), ecl 9, Complete Divine, +5'
    Geomancer 9 (stage 5 drift), ecl 15, Complete Divine, once per hour move at 10X speed
    Divine Vigor, divine feat, Complete Divine - temporary +10'
    Animal Devotion, feat, Complete Champion, +5-30' once per day, see text
    Imbued Healing, metamagic feat, Complete Champion, +5', see text
    Fist of the Forest 1, ecl 5, Complete Champion, +10' land
    [B]Forest Reeve 1, ecl 6, Complete Champion, +10' land
    Holt Warden 2, ecl 7, Complete Champion, +10' land speed if already have woodland stride[/B//]
    Mythic Examplar 2 (Orsos), ecl 6, Complete Champaion, +20' all movement
    Sanctified One (Kord) 1 or 3 or 5/5, ecl 6, Complete Champion, +10' foot speed
    Wild Soul 6, ecl 11, Complete Mage - +10'
    Freedom, Mantle, Complete Psionic - +10' (untyped) to all speeds
    Paragnostic Apostle 1, ecl 6?, Complete Champion, +10' from any spell that grants speed or increase, not just land
    Extreme Leap, skill trick, ecl 2, Complete Scoundrel, +10' see text

Elemental Warrior (fire) 4, ecl 11, Planar Handbook
    Cloud Anchorite 4, 8/10, ecl 10, Frostburn, +10' each
    Primeval 8, ecl 16, Frostburn, +10'
    Improved Speed, feat, Draconomicon - fly speed improves by 20', all others improve by 10'
    Marshal 2, Miniatures Handbook - +5' per aura bonus
    Knight of the Sacred Seal 4, ecl 9, Tome of Magic - +10' temporary
    Shadow Creature, template, Lords of Madness - all speeds x1.5
    Fast Leg, Fiendish Graft, Fiend Folio - +10'
    Quick, character trait, Unearthed Arcana - +10'
    Abberant Limbs (legs), unique NPC ability, DMG 2 - +20', LA+2
    Nimble Bones, feat, Lords of Madness - +10', applies to undead created by someone with this feat
    Berserk 1, ecl 6, Deities and Demigods - +10'
    Mark of Malbolge, feat, Fiendish Codex II, +10' for 1 round, see text
    Absolute Steel, stance, Tome of Battle, +10' (enhancement) to all speeds
    Bloodclaw Master 2, ecl 8, Tome of Battle, +10' while in Tiger Claw stance

Dark Creature, template, Tome of Magic, +10' to all moves of movement
    Jaunter 2, ecl 6, Expedition to the Demonweb Pits, +10' land
    Swift Tumbler, feat, Cityscape, tumble at half speed +10'

Fleet of Foot, regional feat, Player's Guide to Faerun - +10'
    Nentyar Hunter 2, ecl 7, FR: Unapproachable East, +10'
    Barbarian 3 (Fangshield substitution level), Champions of Valor - +10' while charging

Shifter w/Longstride trait, Eberron Campaign Setting, +10', while shifting
    Longstride Elite, feat, Eberron Campaign Setting, +10', while shifting
    Atavist 5 (cautious spirit), ecl 10, Races of Eberron, +5' for all movement modes
    Reachrunner 1, 4/5 (+5/+10), ecl 6, Races of Eberron
    Vandalis Beastkeeper 10, ecl 14, Eberron: Dragonmarked - +10', does not specify land only
    Divine Alacrity, divine feat, Faiths of Eberron, +30' (enhancement) for 1 round
    Swiftness of Orien, feat, Player's Guide to Eberron (p.48) - +20' to 90' enhancement to all speeds, see text
    Elemental Grafts (air), Magic of Eberron, +5' per graft beyond the first

Incarnate 3 (chaotic), Magic of Incarnum - +10' +10'every five levels, share with allies at 7th level
    Totemist 8 (halfling substitution level), Magic of Incarnum - +10'
    Barbarian 1 (Duskling substitution level), Magic of Incarnum, +10'/essentia (enhancement)
    Dread Carapace, soulmeld, Magic of Incarnum - +60' +10'/essentia (enhancement) once per minute
    Incarnate Avatar (chaos), soulmeld, Magic of Incarnum - +30' (enhancement)
    Lamia Belt, soulmeld, Magic of Incarnum - +10' (enhancement) plus spring attack feat
    Worg Pelt, soulmeld, Magic of Incarnum - +5' +5/essentia (unnamed)
    Cerulean Sandals, soulmeld, Magic of Incarnum - +5'/essentia (unnamed)

Special Mention
    Dwarf, ignore movement penalties
    Tooth of Savnok, item, Tome of Magic, move at normal speed regardless of armor
    Champion of Corellon Larethian 5, ecl 12, Races of the Wild, move at normal speed regardless of armor
    Knight 4, ignore movement penalties from medium armor, heavy at level 9
    Vengeance Knight 6, ecl 11, Champions of Ruin, only take half movement penalty for heavy armor

That's the list of stuff's list for movement boosts. I'll highlight the ones I think are interesting.
    Last edited by AMFV; 2024-04-06 at 10:49 PM.
    My Avatar is Glimtwizzle, a Gnomish Fighter/Illusionist by Cuthalion.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Halfling in the Playground

DruidGuy

There is a druid variant class in unearthed arcana, page 58, that gives you the monk speed, and armor, and the ranger track, and swift track, and favored enemy, in exchange for wild shape and the armor proficiencies that you can't use anyway for monk reasons.
    You could take the domain druid ACF (again, from unearthed arcana) to get turn undead with the sun domain.
    If your DM let's you play with this, you could ask him if he is willing to let you trade spell casting for all of the rogue's class features.
    You'd have the same BAB as a rogue, bad REF, but good FORT and WILL saves, and d8 HDs.

If he let's you, you could then ask him to trade away some other features to get skill points and class skills, and maybe even a good REF and full BAB.
    am was here

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground

Master of the South Wind PrC (Dragon #314) got Monk Abilities progression (including unarmored speed), Sneak Attack progression (up to +5d6), 6 skill points (+Int bonus), and even some arcane spells (1st-4th level spells, spontaneous Cha-based, up to 4 spells of each level known at 10th class level). How about it?