New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Default Your favourite dungeon in 5e?

What the title says. A single dungeon, may be a part of a published campaign or a one-shot, that you particilularly liked.
    What is a case of a memorable dungeon you especially liked?

Tnx!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Imp

Default Re: Your favourite dungeon in 5e?

Quote Originally Posted by HoboKnight View Post
    What the title says. A single dungeon, may be a part of a published campaign or a one-shot, that you particilularly liked.
    What is a case of a memorable dungeon you especially liked?

Tnx!
    Might be a bit cheating, but the Dungeon of the Mad Mage is pretty fun to read through, at least.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Spamalot in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Unoriginal View Post
    Might be a bit cheating, but the Dungeon of the Mad Mage is pretty fun to read through, at least.
    Yeah - I have a soft spot for longstanding dungeons whose layout canonically changes and bored, foolhardy, or desperate adventures can just pit themselves against while regular people place bets on their demise. Undermountain is a great example, as is the Starstone Labyrinth in Golarion. I particularly like when the goal can be varied - the dungeon can have a specific item the PCs need, or they have to prove themselves inside to earn some entity's/organization's favor, or going through it is the best route to get somewhere the PCs need to be in the nick of time, or they're forced to run inside to escape some calamity, or they end up inside completely unwittingly etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

4. - Top - End - #4
    Firbolg in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

The Death House from Curse of Strahd. It's not particularly GOOD dungeon, I just like how hilariously deadly it is for a starting dungeon.
    As for a dungeon I like for itself, I'd say the Forge of Fury.
    It's Eberron, not ebberon.
    It's not high magic, it's wide magic.
    And it's definitely not steampunk. The only time steam gets involved is when the fire and water elementals break loose.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JackPhoenix View Post
    The Death House from Curse of Strahd. It's not particularly GOOD dungeon, I just like how hilariously deadly it is for a starting dungeon.
    As for a dungeon I like for itself, I'd say the Forge of Fury.
    Are we counting conversions? Forge of Fury is 3e, but I also liked it a lot (have only played it in 3e though).

6. - Top - End - #6
    Orc in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by earthseawizard View Post
    Are we counting conversions? Forge of Fury is 3e, but I also liked it a lot (have only played it in 3e though).
    It was reprinted in the Tales of the Yawning Portal. It's one of my favorites as well.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Call me crazy, but I have a soft spot for the Tomb of the Nine Gods in Tomb of Annihilation. Just a massive, 6 level mega-dungeon filled with deadly traps and puzzles galore. There's surprisingly little combat in the actual dungeon, and you can't leave to resupply. Its all about the traps and puzzles. You gotta be aware of what's going on at almost all times, or you'll either lose all your gear, kill your team mates due to a curse, or just die. I basically model my proper boss dungeons off of it. Much to my party's dismay.
    Last edited by sithlordnergal; 2024-04-08 at 04:37 PM.
    Never let the fluff of a class define the personality of a character. Let Clerics be Atheist, let Barbarians be cowardly or calm, let Druids hate nature, and let Wizards know nothing about the arcane

Fun Fact: A monk in armor loses Martial Arts, Unarmored Defense, and Unarmored Movement, but keep all of their other abilities, including subclass features, and Stunning Strike works with melee weapon attacks. Make a Monk in Fullplate with a Greatsword >=D

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

My favorite was Red Hand of Doom. It is 3rd ed.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Orc in the Playground

Flumph

I really liked Sunless Citadel. The difficulty isn't too hard or too easy, there's a decent variety of challenges and ways to approach things, the length isn't too long nor too short. Just overall a great starter dungeon. (Like Forge of Fury this one was also reprinted in Tales of the Yawning Portal).

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Griffon

I liked the 5e version of white plume mountain. Bit cheesy with all the weird puzzles and riddles, but it fitted out table very nicely and we had a blast. As a DM I loved the side scenario from Princes of the Apocalyps where the party had to defend a homestead against rampaging orcs (ok, not a dungeon in the strict sense of the word, but oh well). Planning, strategy, combat but also lots of RP opportunities. There is something for every type of player.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Barbarian in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

If we're talking favorite of all time, I have to go all the way back to 1e and say Dark Clouds Gather. It introduced Aarakocra and was a great blend of all three pillars (before we even knew the pillars existed). It was also pretty short and could be completed in 6 - 8 hours.

If you want 5e... I've got nothing. I haven't really enjoyed any of them. Doing nothing but homebrew now.
    I really need a new avatar. Nah, I'm good.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by GeneralVryth View Post
    It was reprinted in the Tales of the Yawning Portal. It's one of my favorites as well.
    Forge of Fury is pretty good. My favorite dungeon no longer exists, as my friend from high school who DM'd it has lost it. This was a tale that grew in telling.

Another excellent dungeon was in issue 9 of a UK based zine, white dwarf maybe?

Dark Odo and the Licheway. Very good.
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

13. - Top - End - #13
    Bugbear in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

Slave Pits of the Undercity and really the whole A1-A4 "Against the Slave Lords" series was great.

A3 was kinda meh and ends in a genuinely terrible railroad (the party FINALLY gets to the bad guys, but instead of a climactic battle they get knocked unconscious by knockout gas, no saving throw), but the other 3 were all really fun, creative, and structurally very different adventures. A4 was the original "Party has to get out of a dangerous place w/o their gear" adventure, and I'm sure its frustrating for players but its great fun for the DM and then the central volcano of the island erupts just in time for the final battle.

They came out way before 5e, but at least the first 2 have updates (or at least update guides) online you can get.

For "since 5e", I really, really like "Temple of the Opal Goddess". A nobleman on an archeological expedition is kidnapped by orcs who send a surviving servant back with a ransom note, and the party is hired to save him. It sets up as a "base assault/rescue" adventure but there's more going on than it initially seems. A ton of backstory and character-building which is annoying if you want a one-off to run quickly, but its rich and interesting and has a bunch of fun ideas you can add to a campaign if you have time.
    Last edited by Crusher; 2024-04-10 at 01:28 PM.
    "You are what you do. Choose again and change." - Miles Vorkosigan

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

Temple of the Basilisk Cult is a nice, solid dungeon. Does everything you want without cruft. It's also free, which boosts the rating for me a bit.
    All work I do is CC-BY-SA. Copy it wherever you want as long as you credit me.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by sithlordnergal View Post
    Call me crazy, but I have a soft spot for the Tomb of the Nine Gods in Tomb of Annihilation. Just a massive, 6 level mega-dungeon filled with deadly traps and puzzles galore. There's surprisingly little combat in the actual dungeon, and you can't leave to resupply. Its all about the traps and puzzles. You gotta be aware of what's going on at almost all times, or you'll either lose all your gear, kill your team mates due to a curse, or just die. I basically model my proper boss dungeons off of it. Much to my party's dismay.
    I think it is a pretty good dungeon, too, and how it works fits the "was set up by the same person who built the Tomb of Horror, at a different point of his career" backstory extremely well.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Orc in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

It's not D&D, but it's 5e engine, for the Adventures in Rokugan, Tomb of Iuchiban. It is a randomly generated room dungeon. It has a start room, then 4-5 outer rooms (of about 8 options), then a fixed center room, then 3-4 inner rooms (of about 8 options) then a climax room. Topping off with the best surprise twist ending of any published adventure I've ever read.
    Last edited by JLandan; 2024-04-10 at 03:07 PM.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Bugbear in the Playground

PaladinGuy

I enjoyed the Hidden Shrine of Tamoachan because of the difficulty of resting. It made my spell selection and slot conservation really matter.
    Proclaiming something "objectively" true or false does not excuse you from proving it so.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Pixie in the Playground

Castle Ravenloft