New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: So about Daggerheart

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    Nah, skip it and pick up Imperium Maleficerum/Dark Heresy 3e: Not Just Inquisition instead
    I was never a big fan of Dark Heresy, Deathwatch, etc. Too much fiddly bull**** involved with making your characters, and too limited at the same time.

It's as complicated to build a character in it as Mutants and Masterminds but nowhere near as rewarding. And it mostly comes from how awfully implemented the Aptitudes system is.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

I think it (the initiative system) would work ok if all of the below applied:
    1) The group's not playing in a challenge-oriented style, so significantly suboptimal moves are fine.
    2) The players are already engaging in spotlight management.
    3) All related OOC issues like shyness, attention-hogging, disagreement on style, etc have been resolved.

Not really what I'm looking for from initiative regardless. But for a more "making a satisfying story is a priority" group, I could see the advantage.

For example, consider the situation of:
    It's the final confrontation with Baron von Jerkwad. While the whole party is against him at this point, his original nemesis and the one with the most grudge is Sir Plus, one of the PCs. Sir Plus has just taken his turn recently, and the Baron is at very low HP, which means it's almost certain someone else will land the final blow. Your options are:
    A) Someone else lands the final blow; it is what it is.
    B) GM fudges the Baron's HP to keep him alive until Sir Plus can land the hit.
    C) Rest of the party inexplicably decides to stall until Sir Plus's turn.

Personally, I'd just say "Option A, what's the issue?" because I'm not that story-oriented and find too-obvious narrative convenience a turn-off. But if the group does want the cinematic ending, they've got two not-great options. This kind of initiative system would give them a third and better option.
    Last edited by icefractal; 2024-04-11 at 02:41 PM.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rynjin View Post
    I was never a big fan of Dark Heresy, Deathwatch, etc. Too much fiddly bull**** involved with making your characters, and too limited at the same time.

It's as complicated to build a character in it as Mutants and Masterminds but nowhere near as rewarding. And it mostly comes from how awfully implemented the Aptitudes system is.
    While WFRP4e cleaned up some of the fiddly bits, yeah that's a valid criticism. I just think that Wrath & Glory focuses on the boring parts of the setting, who wants to be a Space Marine and spend all your time being a symbol?

A friend and I have both spent time trying to work out the ideal system for a Rogue Trader (as in the 1980s version of the setting) game. Still not found anything ideal.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Barbarian in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by icefractal View Post
    I think it (the initiative system) would work ok if all of the below applied:
    1) The group's not playing in a challenge-oriented style, so significantly suboptimal moves are fine.
    2) The players are already engaging in spotlight management.
    3) All related OOC issues like shyness, attention-hogging, disagreement on style, etc have been resolved.

Not really what I'm looking for from initiative regardless. But for a more "making a satisfying story is a priority" group, I could see the advantage.

For example, consider the situation of:
    It's the final confrontation with Baron von Jerkwad. While the whole party is against him at this point, his original nemesis and the one with the most grudge is Sir Plus, one of the PCs. Sir Plus has just taken his turn recently, and the Baron is at very low HP, which means it's almost certain someone else will land the final blow. Your options are:
    A) Someone else lands the final blow; it is what it is.
    B) GM fudges the Baron's HP to keep him alive until Sir Plus can land the hit.
    C) Rest of the party inexplicably decides to stall until Sir Plus's turn.

Personally, I'd just say "Option A, what's the issue?" because I'm not that story-oriented and find too-obvious narrative convenience a turn-off. But if the group does want the cinematic ending, they've got two not-great options. This kind of initiative system would give them a third and better option.
    or, D) The person who would knock him down does so, but the DM doesn't have him immediately die - instead, the DM describes him as bleeding on the ground, attempting to crawl away, with combat over. Sir Plus now has the opportunity to give a speech or whatever about the whole thing and deliver a coup de grace.
    Campaigning in my home brewed world for the since spring of 2020 - started a campaign journal to keep track of what is going on a few levels in. It starts here: https://www.worldanvil.com/w/the-ter...report-article

Created an interactive character sheet for sidekicks on Google Sheets - automatic calculations, drop down menus for sidekick type, hopefully everything necessary to run a sidekick: https://tinyurl.com/y6rnyuyc

5. - Top - End - #35
    Titan in the Playground

While WFRP4e cleaned up some of the fiddly bits, yeah that's a valid criticism. I just think that Wrath & Glory focuses on the boring parts of the setting, who wants to be a Space Marine and spend all your time being a symbol?

A friend and I have both spent time trying to work out the ideal system for a Rogue Trader (as in the 1980s version of the setting) game. Still not found anything ideal.
    I've played three games of W&G and never touched being a Space Marine. We've done a pair of tier 2 games; one where I played an Electro-Priest in a Rogue Trader's retinue (the RT being another player in this case), and another as a Psyker from a recently integrated planet that was ruled by Witch-Kings, now rolled into the employ of an Ordo Xenos Inquisitor. As their hierarchy was based on the most powerful Psykers being in charge, when she was taken to Terra she immediately fell in line with the Imperial Cult, as OBVIOUSLy the Emperor is in charge; he's the biggest Psyker ever. May the Psy-Emperor protect.

I've also played in a T3 game (which is where Space Marines really become available in the first place) where I was a Harlequin doing wetwork for a mixed-race enclave of outcasts (think a melting pot of Farsight Enclave and Aledari/Drukhari Corsairs, Ork mercs, etc.).

The game system does not in particular focus on one facet more than the others save that there is a lot more published material based around playing people from the Imperium than the xeno races. But even then, Tech-Priests , the Guard, and the Ecclesiarchy all get more focus than Spess Mahreens. The new Aeldari/Drukhari/Harlequins book is good, and I'm hoping for a T'au one soon.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rynjin View Post
    I've played three games of W&G and never touched being a Space Marine. We've done a pair of tier 2 games; one where I played an Electro-Priest in a Rogue Trader's retinue (the RT being another player in this case), and another as a Psyker from a recently integrated planet that was ruled by Witch-Kings, now rolled into the employ of an Ordo Xenos Inquisitor. As their hierarchy was based on the most powerful Psykers being in charge, when she was taken to Terra she immediately fell in line with the Imperial Cult, as OBVIOUSLy the Emperor is in charge; he's the biggest Psyker ever. May the Psy-Emperor protect.

I've also played in a T3 game (which is where Space Marines really become available in the first place) where I was a Harlequin doing wetwork for a mixed-race enclave of outcasts (think a melting pot of Farsight Enclave and Aledari/Drukhari Corsairs, Ork mercs, etc.).

The game system does not in particular focus on one facet more than the others save that there is a lot more published material based around playing people from the Imperium than the xeno races. But even then, Tech-Priests , the Guard, and the Ecclesiarchy all get more focus than Spess Mahreens. The new Aeldari/Drukhari/Harlequins book is good, and I'm hoping for a T'au one soon.
    Okay, my three big problems are:
    1) it focuses far too much on 'play your favourite model', with a big focus on iconic unit types I couldn't care less for. Hence 'too much focus on Space Marines'.
    2) it's far too broad, Space Marines and normal humans should not be in the same party. Especially as the Marines get outcompeted by humans in their area of expertise.
    3) it claims to be rules light, but is just as heavy as the old games were.

Show
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?

7. - Top - End - #37
    Bugbear in the Playground

Have you tried Traveller?
    It does the whole fly through space and have adventures with interesting aliens as well as anything. The biggest issue thematically as I see it is the resolution system is very different to Don Featherstone’s “buckets of dice” resolution system from the 1960s (roll to hit, roll to wound, roll armour save using D6s) that GW stole.

The main problem logistically appears to be converting all the stat blocks from 40K to Traveller.

8. - Top - End - #38

BardGuy

I've had a blast with it. Reading it before running I found 2 things I saw issue with, I've found the answer to both of those. I've also seen an issue come up in this thread and others that I think stems less from this game's design and more for pre-conceived assumptions about a game that come from D&D and other sources.

1) Initiative: This seems unwieldy, but Spotlight hogging and newer group dynamics should be something a GM can handle. Shyness is harder, but they already added the optional rule where everyone gets 3 action tokens to use which ensures no one gets left behind. Honestly, the dynamic of NOT having PCs have to change plans or delay their turn just because of a single roll at the start of combat is a lovely thing.

2) Wealth: I was already doing this in my 5E campaigns. Real life is dominated by amassing and budgeting wealth, I hate it. My games don't worry about that. In 5E I just constantly made my PCs rich in one level or another so it wasn't an issue, but this is much simpler. So long as the players have any wealth things like ordering food, getting a room at an inn, tipping someone, restocking basic supplies. You just do it. And the more abstract level of wealth supports major purchases. You need to buy a new sword because you lost yours. Yep, you got a sword now. You want to buy a specific magical sword that's displayed in the Blacksmith's shop? That'll take a Bag of Gold. And for those who hated the full abstract, it's already been updated. You have individual coins, then handfuls, then bags now.

3) Resource management and too much rolling. Saw this here and elsewhere, the idea that the game encourages constant rolling to stockpile Hope or over do skill checks. Or inversely, a fear of rolling because a Fear roll gievs the GM more power. Both of these stem from the idea that everything is worth a roll. It's not.

In 5e a rogue has to roll to open a lock, even if it's a DC10 lock and they have a +18 to the roll... That's not DaggerHeart. If there's no time constraint or worry about being caught a rogue picking a lock... Picks the lock, no roll needed. As a similar example, I saw someone saying they had a Druid who wanted to just RP talking with some animals (Nature's Tongue) But decided not too because it was just fluff and they didn't want to risk fear. Well... The ability only calls for a roll if you are trying to get information out of them. If you just want to RP fluff and not try to get anything the GM wouldn't just willingly give you? Cool, no roll.

3a) The idea of having to have 5 results for every possible scenario both ignores what I discussed above and ignores that the game assumes a roll exists only when it moves the narrative forward. Let's go to a more complex version of that lock scenario.

The Part is in the BBEG's lair, they've stealthed in to steal a magical artifact that is key to the BBEG's plot and to Victory for the PCs if they can get it. The Rogue attempts to pick the lock.

In DaggerHeart:
    -Critical Success: The Door Opens, the room is empty and you can see the artifact lying on a table.
    -Hope Success: The Door Opens, the room is empty, you don't see the artifact and will need to look for it.
    -Fear Success: The Door Opens, you see the BBEG in their bed, asleep. You don't see the artifact.
    -Hope Failure: The Door opens, you see the BBEG looking down at the artifact on a table. They turn, see you, and rush forward.
    -Fear Failure: The Door opens, the BBEG is waiting, snatches the rogue and yanks them in, slamming the door on the rest of the party.

No matter what the result the Story moves forward, the PCs are moving towards their goal. The best roll gives them exactly what they want and they could then sneak back out. Hope Success means they have to search, probably causing another roll, Fear Success puts them in danger but they're still ahead. Hope Failure starts a standard boss encounter, Fear Failure splits the party.

In 5E it might seem simpler, Failure and the lock doesn't open, success and it does. But there's two issues there.
    On a failure the game just stalls. The PCs will likely just try again and it just eats time. Meanwhile on a success the DM will have needed to essentially think through all the details about the BBEG and the Artifact resulting in those other four options above regardless.

In general, I've found the game great, Magic users aren't constantly running out of magic unless you play very weirdly, everyone's useful and the dynamics allow actual group effort.

As a last aside, I've noticed some comments about needing to print it all out.. While the game is designed with "Cards" It doesn't need them to be actual cards. You can honestly just treat them as prepared abilities and write them down.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Titan in the Playground

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by Pixel_Kitsune View Post
    In 5e a rogue has to roll to open a lock, even if it's a DC10 lock and they have a +18 to the roll...
    100% incorrect.

In 5e, not only you only roll if there is a chance of failure and a chance of success, but you only roll if there are interesting consequences for failure.

If there's no time constraint or worry about being caught a rogue picking a lock... Picks the lock, no roll needed.
    That's straight out of 5e (provided the Rogue has the capacity to pick the lock in the first place).

10. - Top - End - #40
    Colossus in the Playground

Also, there's no automatic failures for saves or checks in 5E-only attack rolls.

Roll a 1 with your +17 bonus to pick a lock? Anything DC 18 or less is picked.
    Got a Paladin rocking +16 to their Charisma saves? DC 17 Banishment can't affect them.
    I have a LOT of Homebrew!

Spoiler: Former Avatars
    Show
    Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Linkele
    Show

Spoiler: Individual Avatar Pics
    Show

11. - Top - End - #41

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Unoriginal View Post
    100% incorrect.

In 5e, not only you only roll if there is a chance of failure and a chance of success, but you only roll if there are interesting consequences for failure.
    I am in error, forgot the Nat 1's only apply to attacks, I blame BG3 glitching into my mind.

Cool. So can dismiss that specific point, thankfully it wasn't integral to the points I was making.
    Last edited by Pixel_Kitsune; 2024-04-15 at 01:40 PM.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Ogre in the Playground

It’s not simply that the system allows for spotlight hogging, it’s that the system encourages and rewards role based spotlight hogging.

Hope/Fear as stated before encourages the party to only roll when they are able to put forward the best character for the job. When actions are a limiting factor, you still get an effective turn order due to action priority. Whoever has the best options will act, and act continuously until their actions are expended. There are no incentives to let someone else try a roll on a lower %, success rate adjusted magnitude of impact is the only thing in the equation.

It’s a shoddy apology letter for an already slapdash system, and I’ve already spent all my mirth in observing that Daggerheart has been meeting my expectations for quality and coherency.

Evidently a good GM can weave a compelling campaign around a lackluster system, but that only speaks favorably of the GM.
    Last edited by Xervous; 2024-04-15 at 02:09 PM.

13. - Top - End - #43

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Xervous View Post
    It’s not simply that the system allows for spotlight hogging, it’s that the system encourages and rewards role based spotlight hogging.

Hope/Fear as stated before encourages the party to only roll when they are able to put forward the best character for the job. When actions are a limiting factor, you still get an effective turn order due to action priority. Whoever has the best options will act, and act continuously until their actions are expended. There are no incentives to let someone else try a roll on a lower %, success rate adjusted magnitude of impact is the only thing in the equation.
    That speaks more to your playstyle than the system weakness. Since the game isn't a PCs vs GM or PCs trying to "Win" there's not a reason for that.

Just a casual example from my very first playtest. One of my PCs was playing a Giant Guardian. Rushed in, did a hope to do a whirlwind and hit multiple targets. According to your logic the Giant should just keep swinging, after all, they're the best to do damage. Except instead without prompting or issue another player described sliding underneath the Giant's arc to make another attack against one of the monsters behind them. They did less damage but was still useful to the group and fun.

Sorry, if you want pure optimization, go for it, but I've never found RPGs particularly good for that.

I'm also genuinely confused by the idea that earning Hope/Fear pushes any type of skill preference. You have the same chances of rolling Hope or Fear on literally anything unless you have a mechanic that lets you tip a dice... Combine that with the fact that rolls shouldn't be happening outside of combat and when they matter, and the 6 point cap on the resource, I just don't see this min maxing everyone's talking about.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Ogre in the Playground

That speaks more to your playstyle than the system weakness. Since the game isn't a PCs vs GM or PCs trying to "Win" there's not a reason for that.

Just a casual example from my very first playtest. One of my PCs was playing a Giant Guardian. Rushed in, did a hope to do a whirlwind and hit multiple targets. According to your logic the Giant should just keep swinging, after all, they're the best to do damage. Except instead without prompting or issue another player described sliding underneath the Giant's arc to make another attack against one of the monsters behind them. They did less damage but was still useful to the group and fun.

Sorry, if you want pure optimization, go for it, but I've never found RPGs particularly good for that.

I'm also genuinely confused by the idea that earning Hope/Fear pushes any type of skill preference. You have the same chances of rolling Hope or Fear on literally anything unless you have a mechanic that lets you tip a dice... Combine that with the fact that rolls shouldn't be happening outside of combat and when they matter, and the 6 point cap on the resource, I just don't see this min maxing everyone's talking about.
    You have correctly observed that there is nothing that changes the distribution of Hope/Fear awards. The system has repeatedly been contrasted with actual, functional systems which grant players meta currency on failure to add depth and decision making to attempted actions of import. You have your success rate which always yields something desired, and the accompanying failure rate which yields an undesired and frequently (50% of all failures are with fear) levies additional bad stuff on the character or party.

Looking at the playtest we immediately see “failure with fear, party takes 1 stress”, “failure, enemies get surprise”. A proper storytelling system would have structures that encourage interacting with these possibilities by putting forth a character to roll their non optimal score. As the system is written these failures are simply pure negatives, with no desirable plan of interaction besides avoidance.
    If all rules are suggestions what happens when I pass the save?

15. - Top - End - #45

BardGuy

You have correctly observed that there is nothing that changes the distribution of Hope/Fear awards. The system has repeatedly been contrasted with actual, functional systems which grant players meta currency on failure to add depth and decision making to attempted actions of import. You have your success rate which always yields something desired, and the accompanying failure rate which yields an undesired and frequently (50% of all failures are with fear) levies additional bad stuff on the character or party.
    Still not seeing why this "Pushes" anyone to make one roll or another. And again, the system isn't designed for players to look for rolls, the rolls are meant to advance things.

Looking at the playtest we immediately see “failure with fear, party takes 1 stress”, “failure, enemies get surprise”. A proper storytelling system would have structures that encourage interacting with these possibilities by putting forth a character to roll their non optimal score. As the system is written these failures are simply pure negatives, with no desirable plan of interaction besides avoidance.
    I mean, looking at the Playtest Manuscript here I see the term "Failure with Fear" come up 10 times.

4 is the generic descriptions of or suggestions for what's going on when this happens.
    2 are very vague examples of there might be more guards, or a door is warded, etc
    1 is a Combat example having a GM take an action instead of gaining a Fear.
    1 is another Combat example with the GM using a big attack from an adversary.
    1 is how it relates to a Dynamic Countdown.
    1 in an ability of a specific creature to sap Hope when a PC rolls Fear.

I don't see anything about Failure with Fear the whole party takes stress, or Failure, enemies get surprise. The first seems excessive and the second isn't a result of a roll, it's a mechanic costing Fear points from the GM.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Ogre in the Playground

Still not seeing why this "Pushes" anyone to make one roll or another. And again, the system isn't designed for players to look for rolls, the rolls are meant to advance things.

I mean, looking at the Playtest Manuscript here I see the term "Failure with Fear" come up 10 times.

4 is the generic descriptions of or suggestions for what's going on when this happens.
    2 are very vague examples of there might be more guards, or a door is warded, etc
    1 is a Combat example having a GM take an action instead of gaining a Fear.
    1 is another Combat example with the GM using a big attack from an adversary.
    1 is how it relates to a Dynamic Countdown.
    1 in an ability of a specific creature to sap Hope when a PC rolls Fear.

I don't see anything about Failure with Fear the whole party takes stress, or Failure, enemies get surprise. The first seems excessive and the second isn't a result of a roll, it's a mechanic costing Fear points from the GM.
    Grabbed the latest packet, looks like they tweaked minor wording on the interaction. Only affects the interacting PC, good catch on that.

P29: interacting with the strixwolf. Nothing notable results from success. Crit success removes a stress, meanwhile:

[Failure] If the roll was with Fear, things go badly. Describe the strix-wolf snarling at the PC. Tell them to mark a Stress.
    P30: Ambushed!

When the moment feels right, or one of the above scenarios triggers it, ask a PC who seems like they are paying attention to their surroundings to make an Instinct Roll with a difficulty of 14.
    On a success, they notice eyes watching them from the darkness beyond the trail. If it was with Fear, the PC marks a Stress. Use the “See Them Coming” prompts.
    On a failure, they are immediately ambushed. If it was with Fear, the PC marks a Stress. Use the “Ambushed!” prompts
    One player rolls to determine if the whole party is surprised. The ambushing thistlefolk get free actions in this case. Notably, their initial attack during the ambush is stronger than their default, coming in at 2d8+4 rather than the typical 2d8+1. The perceptive PC marks a stress on fear regardless, but we’re here to look at the absence of incentives for less perceptive characters to be taking point.

Matching highest stat to appropriate task is entry level gaming, it’s not a decision to be weighed and it certainly fails to pose any interesting storytelling questions. The party continues the adventuring day while they have resources, getting ambushed depletes additional resources. There is no incentive for the party to allow the ambush even if that’s the best path for the story to take. As it’s set up and presented, the players are encouraged to strive to avoid or overwhelm every obstacle the GM presents, to never put themselves in a vulnerable state, to play the system like a war game rather than a structure for developing narrative arcs.

Looking through the lens of Fate, Blades in the Dark, and Daggerheart does anyone want to volunteer some answers to a hypothetical?

The party is at a festival and expects there to be an attempt on the mayor’s life. There’s high quality booze on offer, which one PC really likes. Drinking will debilitate the PC and thus disadvantage the party, but the PC has a drinking problem. How does the system encourage the player to engage with the fiction of the PC’s addiction?
    If all rules are suggestions what happens when I pass the save?

17. - Top - End - #47
    Titan in the Playground

Looking through the lens of Fate, Blades in the Dark, and Daggerheart does anyone want to volunteer some answers to a hypothetical?

The party is at a festival and expects there to be an attempt on the mayor’s life. There’s high quality booze on offer, which one PC really likes. Drinking will debilitate the PC and thus disadvantage the party, but the PC has a drinking problem. How does the system encourage the player to engage with the fiction of the PC’s addiction?
    In Fate it depends on if it's important enough to tie into an Aspect. If it is this is a fairly clear Compel, potentially multiple but that's less fun. So depending on the PC it might be one of:
    -you're out of position getting a drink, damn your luck
    -you're too sloshed to be doing your job and [setback] happens, damn your luck
    -you're trousered, cause a scene, and get hauled off to the drunk tank, damn your luck
    -you're distracted by the drink and don't notice [important thing], damn your luck

If the player accepts they get a shiny Fate Point they can use later, but if they reject the development they have to fork over a Fate Point.

For FitD I'm not sure this situation would be covered by the mechanics, but best is probably a Resistance roll to avoid a setback if the player refuses to play along (which means the PC likely accumulates Stress).

In PbtA your playbook probably deals with addiction, so you'll have Movies which give shinies (most likely XP or Strings/Hx, but maybe other stuff) for indulging in it. If your playbook doesn't than the game doesn't consider it relevant, at worst you're a functional drink in this scenario.

Show

18. - Top - End - #48

In Fate it depends on if it's important enough to tie into an Aspect. If it is this is a fairly clear Compel, potentially multiple but that's less fun. So depending on the PC it might be one of:
    -you're out of position getting a drink, damn your luck
    -you're too sloshed to be doing your job and [setback] happens, damn your luck
    -you're trousered, cause a scene, and get hauled off to the drunk tank, damn your luck
    -you're distracted by the drink and don't notice [important thing], damn your luck

If the player accepts they get a shiny Fate Point they can use later, but if they reject the development they have to fork over a Fate Point.
    @Xervous : Note that the compel can be initiated by the GM or by the player
    Player : "Since I have "a weakness for strong drinks and stronger women", I probably wander off to the bar." (taps his aspect on his character sheet)
    GM : "And completely forget about the Ambassador you've been hired to protect?"
    Player : "Yup."
    GM : "Okay, no reason anything would happen to him in such a crowded place, right? Well, until you hear a very loud argument" (grins and gives a fate token)
    My "weakness for strong drinks" won't actually be a problem, but just a background element, if the GM doesn't compel it, or if I repel the compel by saying "nah, I'm pleasantly buzzed and it may look like I'm badly out of position, but I'm still keeping an eye on the room and checking anyone approaching Ambassador Fancypants."

Also note that it will only be a compel if it actually gets the character into trouble. My "Uncouth barbarian" is uncouth and rude all the time without real consequence ingame, but it becomes a compel when the baron takes offense (and if I repel the compel, maybe my character had enough sense to avoid making a scene, or maybe the Baron decided to laugh it off because it was "refreshingly direct" ^^)
    Last edited by Kardwill; 2024-04-17 at 03:32 AM.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Ogre in the Playground

Skimmed through the rules. Doesn't seem to do anything I'd be a fan of, even if coming from D&D 5e.

The main resolution mechanic is already super wonky, because if you roll for something, say, DC15, with a +2 modifier, so a 50% chance in a straightforward resolution system, Daggerheart instead proffers five outcomes, three of which are frankly negative, and add up to about 69% of an outcome you don't want (success with fear or any kind of failure are all described in examples in a way that makes it clear you're generally in a worse position than you were in before). This smacks of heavy-handed narrative game which thinks that the only way to make things interesting is to have PCs fail or succeed at a major cost more often than having them succeed normally. Personally, such mechanics make me feel like I'm playing an incompetent who survives mostly by luck, rather than a specialist for whom complications arise from events fully beyond their control.

Initiative "by committee" would leave most tables in shambles. It's already a mess with delaying initiative so that you can possibly take advantage of the slower player's buffs, but now you have to determine whose turn would be the best right now. This also resembles FATE in a way, but while FATE doesn't really put that much focus on combat and generally makes it somewhat clear that playing it requires group cohesion beyond the tactical level (i.e. you all gotta know pretty well what you want to play, and going (broad genre name) isn't gonna cut it, you need consistent tone and shared expectations), Daggerheart seems to be an attempt to mix FATE elements into what is primarily a D&D-adjacent adventure structure game.

Basically, first impressions: rather poor. I'd still rather play 5e over Daggerheart, and I don't even like 5e. At best, this will be a niche game for CR fans who will buy it and maybe play it once in a while. At worst, this'll be a cashgrab that won't establish any real presence.
    Elezen Dark Knight avatar by Linklele
    Favourite classes: Beguiler, Scout, Warblade, 3.5 Warlock, Harbinger (PF:PoW).