New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: [D&D 5] Fight for your Right to Die

Quote Originally Posted by Izzarra View Post
    I like the concept. Right now it mostly comes across as an aesthetic change, we will want to add a bit more to it. What happens if the character goes too long without a dose of fey food?

However, keep in mind that one spot is reserved for my friend Charybdis1618 who is playing a wild magic sorcerer (in full plate), so if enough applicants finish making characters I might not choose a wizard for the sake of having a well rounded party. Currently there are only 5 players that have done more then roll stats so it might not be a problem.
    I *can* change classes, the initial character I had in mind was just a wizard. And I’m not quite sure, I didn’t think continually stealing food from fae courts was exactly a viable tactic. Though maybe that’s kind of the issue - they haven’t been able to get more food, and so they’re running around constantly in a head fog because everything else they eat fails to satisfy and nourish them. Maybe they can’t expend HD on a short rest unless they have the appropriate foodstuff, and vulnerable to charm effects by fae (anything to savor that food once more) if they’re in that deprived state.
    Awesome avatar by Cuthalion

Spoiler: Old Avatars
    Show

By Ceika, Ceika, Linklel (Except for one that appears to be lost to time)

2. - Top - End - #32
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Infernally Clay View Post
    I can't really get my head around Blood Hunter so I made a Gloomstalker Ranger instead.

I'm thinking Leif was a circus performer, with her acrobatic trick shots being the stuff of legends (if you'd believe the ringleader anyway). I kinda like the idea that the circus troupe as a whole was in some way cursed, perhaps because they offended a druid or something like that? It gives Leif a motivation to travel and find a cure for the affliction, not just for herself but the people she cares about too. What about a curse that turns people into trees? It's a pretty classic setup, the idea that out there somewhere is a bunch of circus tents where everyone inside has been turned to trees. A horrifying sight indeed.

Hmmm... What if Leif has to make a strength check if she doesn't move at least 5ft every turn, as roots and vines grow from her feet and anchor her to the ground and she needs to make a higher strength check (or get help) after every long rest because she obviously won't have moved much if at all?
    Lignumification is what I have been calling it. I have incorporated it into an encounter before though the effect happened a lot faster.

I would say a check like that would only happen if you are standing close enough to dirt that the roots would have something to grow into.

On the other hand it could be that you get ranks of exhaustion if you do not plant your feet in dirt every night and spend enough time in the sunlight each day.

Quote Originally Posted by aguaracu View Post
    I like that as a heroic origin but I'm now thinking of a less heroic one: A trickery domain cleric who found the ultimate hack - this one neat trick for not dying the Gods don't want you to know about - and discovered that his god likes a good joke as much as anyone.

Oops.

For my character's curse I'm proposing:
    Whenever he takes damage he has to make a constitution saving throw as a concentration check; if he's concentrating on a spell the concentration check counts as this saving throw. If he fails the check he loses concentration on any spell and for 1D4 rounds he has an attack of hysterical laughter. During this attack he can move or take an action on his turn - but not both.
    Note that I'm planning to take the Warcaster feat which means that he will have a better chance of passing the check when he is actually concentrating on a spell. On the other hand, he will be starting with a constitution of 10 before racial modifiers so he's going to fail rather a lot of these checks :-O
    The DM can tune this by adjusting the duration and intensity - how bonus actions and reactions are affected for example.
    That is good. I'll probably have you make saves during social encounters as well so it is not limited to combat.

I'll need to write up a few trickster deities.

Quote Originally Posted by Esprit15 View Post
    I *can* change classes, the initial character I had in mind was just a wizard. And I’m not quite sure, I didn’t think continually stealing food from fae courts was exactly a viable tactic. Though maybe that’s kind of the issue - they haven’t been able to get more food, and so they’re running around constantly in a head fog because everything else they eat fails to satisfy and nourish them. Maybe they can’t expend HD on a short rest unless they have the appropriate foodstuff, and vulnerable to charm effects by fae (anything to savor that food once more) if they’re in that deprived state.
    And just like that in this setting certain culinary ingredients from the Spirit Realm are narcotics to mortals and can prolong their life. Not unprecedented, there are several examples of this in Journey to the West. Good D&D reference material if you care to read it, although it is over 2000 pages long. Continually stealing from the Fae courts, or the Oni ministries (still working on them), would be challenging. However, there are Wyldfae and other beings that that are willing to sell such things for the right price.

Lets just be careful that we don't RP this addiction so far that it causes the game to not be fun for everyone.
    "Time is an abstract concept created by carbon-based life-forms to monitor their ongoing decay." - Thunderclese

3. - Top - End - #33
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGuy

So, I know we're physically returned if we die, but what about our equipment? Is it where we fell? Is there a body there, identical to ours? Or does that body disappear?

4. - Top - End - #34
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

still a WIP - but initial charactersheet. Finally stopped falling asleep randomly.
    Charactersheet
    Awesome avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

Awesome dark heresy inquisitor avatar by Emperor Ing

Gender bended avatar by Emperor Ing

.... in her party dress, also by Emperor Ing

Epic imperial Guardsman by The Architect

Dingle Dongle Dangle - Do it at an Angle~

5. - Top - End - #35
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Charybdis1618 View Post
    So, I know we're physically returned if we die, but what about our equipment? Is it where we fell? Is there a body there, identical to ours? Or does that body disappear?
    Unless something crazy like disintegration happens the wounds heal and you take a gasping breath at dawn.
    The character concepts that get new bodies it will function similar to the spell Reincarnate adjacent to the previous body.
    "Time is an abstract concept created by carbon-based life-forms to monitor their ongoing decay." - Thunderclese

6. - Top - End - #36
    Orc in the Playground

That is good. I'll probably have you make saves during social encounters as well so it is not limited to combat.
    "As you say this there is a sudden lull in the conversation, everyone hears you and turns round to look. Take 2D6 points of psychic damage for each person in the room and save against a ridiculous giggle." But enough about my week, let's talk about my character...

I'll need to write up a few trickster deities.
    Might there be an orcish trickster among those deities? I'm working on an orcish Trickery cleric with Warcaster, Skilled and another feat (maybe Metamagic Adept with subtle casting and quicken).

I'm still trying to puzzle out his backstory, perhaps he cheated death by incurring two conflicting supernatural obligations?

Edit: WIP https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/?id=2898267
    Last edited by aguaracu; 2024-04-16 at 04:37 PM.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Ogre in the Playground

"As you say this there is a sudden lull in the conversation, everyone hears you and turns round to look. Take 2D6 points of psychic damage for each person in the room and save against a ridiculous giggle." But enough about my week, let's talk about my character...
    I can relate.

Might there be an orcish trickster among those deities? I'm working on an orcish Trickery cleric with Warcaster, Skilled and another feat (maybe Metamagic Adept with subtle casting and quicken).
    The Orcs typically worship the Spirits or the Oni; be it the entire Oni pantheon, one of the five Ministries, or just a single powerful Oni (though a cleric that follows only a single Oni is uncommon, more likely to be a warlock).

The Spirits don't have the kind of drama that you are looking for so I am guessing that you will probably want to go with the Oni.

I started writing up the Oni a while ago but they have had a low priority until now. I am working on them now.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Hey DM, just curious, any 'ready before date' for charactersheets? just so I know.
    Pulled a neckmuscle (absolutely horrid sensation) so I've had to avoid too much computer-time the last half-a-week or so.
    Awesome avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #39
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Hemnon View Post
    Hey DM, just curious, any 'ready before date' for charactersheets? just so I know.
    Pulled a neckmuscle (absolutely horrid sensation) so I've had to avoid too much computer-time the last half-a-week or so.
    How about one week from now, April 28th. Then if everything looks good we can start on the 1st.

I have only seen 5 players working on character sheets so it looks like I won't have to choose makes it in.

I'm still trying to puzzle out his backstory, perhaps he cheated death by incurring two conflicting supernatural obligations?
    Took a little while but I have roughed out the various powerful Oni in the setting. They are now listed in the setting document.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGuy

Here's a link to my working character sheet:

https://www.dndbeyond.com/characters/122305935/xtqALq

11. - Top - End - #41
    Titan in the Playground

Work in progress sheet

Show

12. - Top - End - #42
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

I have to bow out from this, sorry. life just became more busy than I had expected.
    Awesome avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #43
    Ogre in the Playground

Make sure your Mythweavers sheets are set for others to view.

Quote Originally Posted by Hemnon View Post
    I have to bow out from this, sorry. life just became more busy than I had expected.
    Your presence will be missed.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Orc in the Playground

Took a little while but I have roughed out the various powerful Oni in the setting. They are now listed in the setting document.
    Thank you. So - if I have this right - Amoukar might be a priest specifically of Binyu but would acknowledge (or invoke, or appease) many of the other Oni? Presumably he would do this when their domains were relevant to the situation at hand?

I will post his backstory tomorrow, it involves a cunning plot to trap his soul in a ring of mind shielding (his uncommon magic item). I had hoped to write the backstory this weekend but had too much to do IRL.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Ogre in the Playground

Thank you. So - if I have this right - Amoukar might be a priest specifically of Binyu but would acknowledge (or invoke, or appease) many of the other Oni? Presumably he would do this when their domains were relevant to the situation at hand?
    Correct.

I will post his backstory tomorrow, it involves a cunning plot to trap his soul in a ring of mind shielding (his uncommon magic item). I had hoped to write the backstory this weekend but had too much to do IRL.
    Okay

16. - Top - End - #46
    Titan in the Playground

Are the +1 Spellcasting Foci the same as things like the Rod of the Pact Keeper and the Arcane Grimoire, or are they just a +1 item with no further benefit?

Show

17. - Top - End - #47
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Esprit15 View Post
    Are the +1 Spellcasting Foci the same as things like the Rod of the Pact Keeper and the Arcane Grimoire, or are they just a +1 item with no further benefit?
    As I was thinking of Wand of the War Mage when I wrote the 16 and it has an extra ability I will say that those are also acceptable.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGuy

So, looking at everyone else's proposed builds, I feel like I should become a front-line warrior. The character concept can support it. I'll tweak my build to make this work.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Orc in the Playground

Amoukars backstory. I'm afraid this is late and rather rough and ready.

Spoiler: Amoukars Backstory
    Show
    Amoukar went down to Qsen to study under Gryntak, a distinguished priest and bard, and quickly became his most challenging pupil. Amoukar was sharp, insightful and touched by Binyu but he was also headstrong and impatient; he seemed impervious to both danger and the disapproval of his elders. Still he impressed everyone he met, or almost everyone...

In Qsen he courted Mailae, an elf with dark hair and grey eyes that seemed to shine with a light of their own. She was fond of Amoukar but, when she realised that Amoukar had already visibly grown older in the year she had known him, she became more withdrawn and started keeping some emotional distance between them.

Amoukar was entrusted with transporting a small package north to a colleague of Gryntaks. One evening, in a dreary road side inn, Amoukar opened the package and put on the ring he found inside. The high, reedy voice of an elderly human spoke to him. She had considerable knowledge of history and outrageous tales of her part in it so Amoukar kept the ring on, he now had company for the journey.

In a mountain pass he was approached by members of a tribe who rarely communicated with outsiders. They wanted a priest to officiate a ceremony that they had to perform in two days time. A reckless chieftain had struck a bargain with the fae and the price came due every decade. All in the tribe shared a banquet but one member would find a gem in their bowl. That member would be honoured at the head of the banquet and then, once they had been celebrated, they entered a cave and touched the stone where the foolish chief had tried made his promise. Around the stone stood the orcs who had previously been offered up: they breathed but they did not age. Their souls were gone elsewhere and and their bodies stood in limbo.

That night Amoukar quizzed the voice in the ring about the ring and her situation. She was forthcoming at first but became suspicious of his sudden interest and their conversation became a tense negotiation, with information as the currency. In the morning Amoukar had a plan, now all he had to do was make sure that the gem fell into his bowl...

Quote Originally Posted by Charybdis1618 View Post
    So, looking at everyone else's proposed builds, I feel like I should become a front-line warrior. The character concept can support it. I'll tweak my build to make this work.
    If necessary I can replace the Metamagic Adept feat with an ASI (+1 strength, +1 dexterity) to make Amoukar more useful on the front line. I took Metamagic Adept because the trickery cleric doesn't come with all the abilities to match the fluff and I wanted more opportunities for tricks; but it's not vital to the character or the build.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Ogre in the Playground

I will leave recruiting open in case a 5th player wants to join.

Started setting up the Discord server https://discord.gg/Dx4krdu5 for the OOC.

I will have the IC thread ready sometime in the next few days.