New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default How many flavors of “bandit encounter” are there?

How many “flavors” of “bandit encounter” can e we come up with? To explain what I’m asking, here’s some examples I’ve seen:

Bandits.

Bandits, and they’re specifically targeting *you*.

Bandits, you’re protecting a caravan.

Bandits, you’re protecting a VIP.

Bandits, you *are* the VIP.

Bandits, but they haven’t noticed you.

Bandits, and they’re smart enough not to draw agro from *you*.

Bandits, and they’re smart enough not to draw agro from *you*, but you see someone else coming.

Bandits, and they’re smart enough not to draw agro from *you*, but you see someone else coming, and you have your daughter with you.

Bandits, in media res, after you’ve killed all the other bandits, their leader attempts to surrender.

Bandits, in media res, after you’ve killed all the other bandits, you’re chasing / tailing the survivor(s).

Bandits, in media res, after you’ve killed all the other bandits, you’re interrogating the survivor(s).

Bandits, in media res, after you’ve killed all the other bandits, and interrogated the survivor(s), the Paladin kills them.

You’re the bandits.

A few variables are bandits vs “bandits”; ie, perhaps they’re government agents (of your or another government), hired mercenaries, etc., how powerful the PCs are, the terrain, tactics, and composition of the bandits, etc.

Anybody have any flavors to add?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: How many flavors of “bandit encounter” are there?

Quote Originally Posted by Quertus View Post
    How many “flavors” of “bandit encounter” can e we come up with? To explain what I’m asking, here’s some examples I’ve seen:

A few variables are bandits vs “bandits”; ie, perhaps they’re government agents (of your or another government), hired mercenaries, etc., how powerful the PCs are, the terrain, tactics, and composition of the bandits, etc.

Would something like "Bandits hired by Town Y to choke off Town X" count?

Of course, there is "Bandits hired to kidnap Princess Buttercup so Prince Humperdink can start a war with Gildur".

"Bandits funding an insurrection against the evil/good/whatever Baron"

Things like that?

- M
    No matter where you go...there you are!

Holhokki Tapio - GitP Blood Bowl New Era Season I Champion
    Togashi Ishi - Betrayal at the White Temple
    Da Monsters of Da Midden - GitP Blood Bowl Manager Cup Season V-VI-VII

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Imp

[...]

There's an infinity of flavors and variables for a bandit encounter, because that's a rather wide concept.

Bandits are fleeing from something worse than the PCs, one of the bandits know one of the PCs personally, bandits are mistaking the PCs for someone else, bandits are sick and beg the PCs for help, bandits killed adventurers who were on the same adventure at the PCs and have decided they'll be the ones claiming the treasure, bandits found a magic item and now it's possessing the bandit leader, etc.

Basically, there are very few scenario or plot premise that couldn't be done with bandits.

You can even take movie plots and replace a character or group of characters with "bandits", and that'll likely work (though tbf it'd likely being pretty different).

4. - Top - End - #4

Quote Originally Posted by Mordar View Post
    Would something like "Bandits hired by Town Y to choke off Town X" count?

Of course, there is "Bandits hired to kidnap Princess Buttercup so Prince Humperdink can start a war with Gildur".

"Bandits funding an insurrection against the evil/good/whatever Baron"

Things like that?

- M
    Yes, exactly!

I’d say your first 2 would usually fall under similar flavor categories of “bandits as part of a larger mystery” / “bandits as introduction to a larger plot”, yet the details make them feel very different. So obviously those details are hugely important!

Your last one, wow, I can think of more ways to approach it -> more different flavors of play than any of my examples.

But, yes, those are very much the kinds of things I was thinking - and even delivered in the same flavor as (and better done than) my examples. Kudos!
    Last edited by Quertus; 2024-04-08 at 04:49 PM. Reason: Autocorrect

5. - Top - End - #5

Quote Originally Posted by Unoriginal View Post
    There's an infinity of flavors and variables for a bandit encounter, because that's a rather wide concept.

Bandits are fleeing from something worse than the PCs, one of the bandits know one of the PCs personally, bandits are mistaking the PCs for someone else, bandits are sick and beg the PCs for help, bandits killed adventurers who were on the same adventure at the PCs and have decided they'll be the ones claiming the treasure, bandits found a magic item and now it's possessing the bandit leader, etc.

Basically, there are very few scenario or plot premise that couldn't be done with bandits.

You can even take movie plots and replace a character or group of characters with "bandits", and that'll likely work (though tbf it'd likely being pretty different).
    Hmmm… those are a lot of variables one can throw at a bandit encounter to change its flavor. And I’ve begun to realize that those may be as or even more important than the “core” flavor. So such details are welcome.

But, to try to explain what I was originally asking… things like “bandits have the plague” or “bandits killed your father” or “bandit’s leader is possessed” could be added to any of the bandits scenarios, so they’re add-ons, extras. Whereas “but you see their next victim headed unsuspecting down the road” really only works after, “the bandits know better than to agro *you*”. I was asking about those core “bandits” scenarios.

OTOH, you listed things that are not what I was calling bandit scenarios - you had things like “people (who happen to be bandits) have the plague and ask for assistance”; “People (who happen to be bandits) are running from Cthulhu (or whatever)”, etc. So, in your examples, “they’re bandits” is more a modifier to another encounter type (threat running from bigger threat, plague victims asking for assistance).

So, yeah, what I was asking was, how many flavors of bandits encounter setups can we come up with? And, yeah, wow, how much does their flavor change with extras like “they’ve got the plague” is cool, too, but my initial (poorly worded) ask of flavors of… base setup for a bandit encounter?… may not be quite so infinite as the full flavor pallet y’all have convinced me is possible.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Barbarian in the Playground

BlackDragon

I'm not sure whether you'll feel these fit as flavors of bandit encounters or a different kind of encounter altogether, but here's what comes to mind.

• Rival bandit gangs are feuding over the same territory.
    • You're here to take over the bandits' territory and be the new bandits of the forest.
    • You're seeking the bandits to recover something they took (item, hostage, etc.).
    • You're sent to proselytize or recruit the bandits.
    • Bandits attack, but they have unusual or unexpected powers (flight, druid magic, shapeshifting, teleportation, etc.)
    • You're trying to infiltrate the bandit gang.
    • The bandits themselves are bait, and something more sinister is waiting to attack you when you're distracted by the bandits.
    • The bandits are a decoy, and much sneakier thieves (invisible, etc.) try to steal you're stuff while you're busy fighting the decoy.
    • In either of the preceding two scenarios, the bandits are illusionary, or ghosts forever doomed to repeat the errant ways of their lives.
    My 5e Monster Repository (a modest collection)
    Spoiler: 5e Quick, ad-hoc numbers
    Show
    Task DCs — Simple: 8 | Normal: 13 | Challenging: 18 | Formidable: 23
    Monsters (1 v. 1) — AC: 12 + level/2 | HP: 10 × level | To-Hit: 2 + level/2 | DPR: 4 × level
    Solos (v. 4 PCs) — +2 to AC & To-Hit | HP: 5 × level | DPR: 10 × level
    Monster treasure — CR2 × tier gp

7. - Top - End - #7

Quote Originally Posted by Vegan Squirrel View Post
    I'm not sure whether you'll feel these fit as flavors of bandit encounters or a different kind of encounter altogether, but here's what comes to mind.

• You're here to take over the bandits' territory and be the new bandits of the forest.
    • You're seeking the bandits to recover something they took (item, hostage, etc.).
    • Bandits attack, but they have unusual or unexpected powers (flight, druid magic, shapeshifting, teleportation, etc.)
    • The bandits themselves are bait, and something more sinister is waiting to attack you when you're distracted by the bandits.
    • The bandits are a decoy, and much sneakier thieves (invisible, etc.) try to steal you're stuff while you're busy fighting the decoy.
    • In either of the preceding two scenarios, the bandits are illusionary, or ghosts forever doomed to repeat the errant ways of their lives.
    Well, I’d say any of those is way more interesting than a plain bandit encounter, so they’re all welcome in this thread.

As to how many are what I was initially asking for? Heck, I’m still trying to process how to evaluate ideas like trying to infiltrate (or join) the bandits, and I’d have thought of “proselytize” as a response rather than a goal walking in, so I’m not really sure anymore.

I was thinking of it… hmmm… I see. In a way that was not as fun as the responses I’ve been given. I guess it’s easiest to oversimplify my line of thought as if the GM had rolled “bandits” on the random encounter table, and asking how many flavors of setup could flavor that encounter? Regardless, it’s become apparent to me that there’s more to focusing this dish that I had initially considered, and thinking about the timing of setting up the encounters y’all are describing is as fun for me as reading over the encounter descriptions themselves.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Bugbear in the Playground

- The bandits are a front for [sinister group] who want to keep nosey parkers out of a location.
    - What the prince and local sheriff call ‘bandits’ are actually resistance fighters fighting against the usurpers while waiting for the true king to return. (Robin Hood)
    - The bandits are far worse than regular bandits, they are actually cannibalistic ghouls. (Sawney Bean)
    - It’s a border region and each kingdom supports/turn a blind eye to banditry undertaken in the neighboring kingdom (Border Reivers)
    - A foreign power is providing support to the bandits in order to destabilize the local power.
    - The bandits aren’t stupid. They avoid attacking heavily armed and obviously high level adventurers.
    - The bandits aren’t stealing stuff. They are the rightful owners trying to recover their stuff.

9. - Top - End - #9

RedKnightGirl

Outlaws are my favourite sort of enemy for RPGs because of their versatility. You can do a lot of stuff with them, and they can be as unsympathetic or sympathetic as you need them to be, and there's a ton of possible motivations.

I do think it's good to have a motivation though. Gets silly when you end up with a setting where it seems like the population is 90% bandits by volume in what's ostensibly peacetime, and it's so easy to justify why there are bandits around. Just saying there's a war ongoing or a war that's recently ended will do most of the work for you.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Trying to list these one by one is a waste of time. This is a thing you'd reasonably use combinatory tables for, such as:

The bandits are: local folkheroes, famous revolutionaries, infamous criminals, desperate nobodies or invading enemy tribe (6 options).

You are: local folkheroes, travelling merchants, mercenaries, competing criminals, ordinary people, law enforcement or invading enemy tribe (7 options).

The bandits are: friendly, neutral, unfriendly, hostile. (4 options).

The bandits: know who you are, don't know who you are or mistake you for someone else (3 options).

You: know who the bandits are, don't know who the bandits are or mistake them for someone else (3 options).

The bandits: surprise you or don't surprise you (2 options).

You: surprise the bandits or don't surprise the bandits (2 options).

The bandits: outnumber you, are equal in number or are lesser in number than you (3 options).

You: have legal authority to use lethal force against these bandits or you don't have legal authority to use lethal force (2 options).

The local law enforcement gets involved: yes or no (2 options).

That's 6 x 7 x 4 x 3 x 3 x 2 x 2 x 3 x 2 x 2 = 72,576 combinations.

Add in basic variance from other game rules (f. ex. seven possible character classes and three possible alignments and at least two sexes for each involved character) and the number quickly rises by orders of magnitude.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

bandits, but they are only a couple of teens being stupid.

bandits, but they are only a couple of teens being stupid and your job is to get a specific one back to their parents without causing a scandal.

bandits, but they are deserters

bandits, but they are deserters of an enemy army you had a hand in vanquishing

bandits, but they are deserters of your army

bandits, but they are deserters of your army and all formerly gang pressed or drafted

bandits, but only targeting a specific side of a conflict

bandits, but only targeting people who happen to be your enemies

bandits, but consisting of local farmers on a side hustle

bandits, but consisting of local farmers on a side hustle and your job is to get rid of banditry but also protect the taxbase

bandits, but among them are some of your former enemies

bandits, but among them are some of your former? friends

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ettin in the Playground

Perhaps it was YOU who was the bandits!
    My Avatar is Glimtwizzle, a Gnomish Fighter/Illusionist by Cuthalion.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

Which is why I am bookmarking this thread.

One nice thing about bandits (or pirates) as core encounters is that it allows the DM and the group an option beyond "go kill some goblins" as a way to enter into adventuring...unless some of the bandits are also goblins.
    Note to future DMs: hobgoblins don't tend to be bandits. They are typically more lawful than that. With that said, the Salt Marsh adventure has some hobgoblins assisting the bandits/smugglers in the cave under the haunted house. Renegades is my take on that.
    In one of my campaigns, Salt Marsh, bandits (mostly in the form of pirates and smugglers) have been kidnapping people for the flesh / slave / labor trade.

The hook for the party to get to Salt Marsh back in Tier 1 (they are now in Tier 3 and are adventuring beyond the Styes) was that two of the members of the band that one of the PCs was in for his backstory - sorcerer with the Entertainer background - were kidnapped by slavers while out fishing off the coast.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegan Squirrel View Post
    Spoiler: keeping these on file for future one shots
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Pauly View Post
    bandits, but consisting of local farmers on a side hustle
    Roughly the backstory of my character for the Tomb of Annihilation campaign, and why he was "off to Chult" on a mission for his mentor.
    Last edited by KorvinStarmast; 2024-04-09 at 08:47 AM.
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    it allows the DM and the group an option beyond "go kill some goblins" as a way to enter into adventuring...unless some of the bandits are also goblins.
    Aye.

IMO the only reason to go send adventurers after goblins is if they're raiders/bandits/hostile soldiers/violent criminals/etc who just happen to be goblins.

Note to future DMs: hobgoblins don't tend to be bandits. They are typically more lawful than that.
    Being lawful doesn't prevent one from being a bandit.

Lawful people don't follow all laws nor do they obey all authorities universally. Otherwise it'd be impossible for a Devil to murder someone or to disobey a PC who's an officially-appointed representative of the local ruler.

A group of hobgoblin who took over a stronghold on a trading road and forcing anyone who wants to use the road to pay them a toll would be described as bandits, even if they can point out how their behavior is perfectly within the parameters of their organisation's charter, for example.

Or an hobgoblin unit who was cut off from the rest of the army while in hostile territory can decide they will engage in bandit-type behavior to get the ressources they need to rejoin either the army or their homeland.

With that said, the Salt Marsh adventure has some hobgoblins assisting the bandits/smugglers in the cave under the haunted house. Renegades is my take on that.
    IIRC when I ran that, my idea was that the hobgoblins were subcontractors/consultants hired to help set up this operation. Though I may be misremembering that, as this campaign ended before the group reached the hobgoblins.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

I was thinking of it… hmmm… I see. In a way that was not as fun as the responses I’ve been given. I guess it’s easiest to oversimplify my line of thought as if the GM had rolled “bandits” on the random encounter table, and asking how many flavors of setup could flavor that encounter? Regardless, it’s become apparent to me that there’s more to focusing this dish that I had initially considered, and thinking about the timing of setting up the encounters y’all are describing is as fun for me as reading over the encounter descriptions themselves.
    Yeah. I think the way you phrased the original question was more of a "what different kinds of bandit behavior are there?". Which, yeah, may lend itself to a "roll encounters on a chart" scenario. But I think most of the responses have been in the "what motivates the bandits (ie: "why are they bandits?")" line of thought. So... maybe responding with what you need more than what you asked for.

I've found that if you determine why the bandits are bandits and are there in the first place, all of the other "how do they behave when encountered" questions kinda answer themselves. It just becomes a roleplaying exercise for the GM. And yeah: "Because they are opportunists who decided that stealing stuff from people travelling on this road is a good way to make money" is a perfectly legitimate motivation.

I also agree that bandits can make for very interesting encounters (for all the reasons given so far). They will often make more sense than random monster encounters, and yeah, can be used as a hook to something else if you want. But I also think that they work much better if the GM spends some time thinking about why they are there. And I'm not sure if that can just be put on a chart, since that's usually going to be tightly aligned with the specifics of the area they are in. Banditry tends to be something people choose to do for specific reasons, and not just a randomly rolled professsion.

Then again, I'm not a huge fan of charts in general, so there is that.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

IIRC when I ran that, my idea was that the hobgoblins were subcontractors/consultants hired to help set up this operation. Though I may be misremembering that, as this campaign ended before the group reached the hobgoblins.
    I had set up some of Granny Nightshade's allies to be a hobgoblin tribe in the southern Dreadwood; the more disciplined ones were engaged with the on-again-off-again battles with the elves near Burle and the Silverstand woods. the ones working the smuggling angle were renegades. (They were tired of fighting the war that never seemed to end ...)
    Last edited by KorvinStarmast; 2024-04-09 at 01:51 PM.
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.

17. - Top - End - #17

Taste the Bandit rainbow
    Thankyou to NEOPhyte for the Techpriest Engiseer
    Spoiler
    Show

Current PC's
    Ravia Del'Karro (Magos Biologis Errant)
    Katarina (Ordo Malleus Interrogator)
    Emberly (Fire Elemental former Chef)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_G View Post
    Just play the character you want to play. Don't feel the need to squeeze every point out of the build.
    Quote Originally Posted by Max_Killjoy View Post
    take this virtual +1.
    Peril Planet

18. - Top - End - #18

*Two groups of bandits, turf war

*good aligned bandits, like the Merry Men

*bandits who roll you for sometging abstract or metaphysical, like the Senses [sic] Taker from Phantom Tollbooth
    Last edited by Bohandas; 2024-04-10 at 12:25 AM.
    "If you want to understand biology don't think about vibrant throbbing gels and oozes, think about information technology" -Richard Dawkins

Omegaupdate Forum

WoTC Forums Archive + Indexing Projext

PostImage, a free and sensible alternative to Photobucket

Temple+ Modding Project for Atari's Temple of Elemental Evil

Morrus' RPG Forum (EN World v2)

19. - Top - End - #19

RedKnightGirl

Quote Originally Posted by gbaji View Post
    Yeah. I think the way you phrased the original question was more of a "what different kinds of bandit behavior are there?". Which, yeah, may lend itself to a "roll encounters on a chart" scenario. But I think most of the responses have been in the "what motivates the bandits (ie: "why are they bandits?")" line of thought. So... maybe responding with what you need more than what you asked for.
    Also if you want to get more detailed than "bandits try to rob you" or "you intrude on a bandit camp" it's helpful to know what the bandits want and where they come from. Like are these professional soldiers who've turned brigand or are these ramshackle amateurs acting out of desperation, because those guys probably shouldn't feel the same.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Errorname View Post
    Also if you want to get more detailed than "bandits try to rob you" or "you intrude on a bandit camp" it's helpful to know what the bandits want and where they come from. Like are these professional soldiers who've turned brigand or are these ramshackle amateurs acting out of desperation, because those guys probably shouldn't feel the same.
    Or.... familiy of cannibals hiding in the hills, living off the land, and you just took the wrong path...

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

Or.... familiy of cannibals hiding in the hills, living off the land, and you just took the wrong path...
    ... through Scotland.

22. - Top - End - #22

Bandits aren't really a flavor, theme, or even a motivation. It's a means to achieve a goal and that goal is what going to provide the conflict which in turns gives you the flavor.

A group of thugs shaking down pilgrims because they are easy targets is very different from desperate villagers trying to eke out a hash winter due to to the local lord over taxing and raiding supplies to throw lavish parties as the common folk freeze and starve.
    what is the point of living if you can't deadlift?

All credit to the amazing avatar goes to thoroughlyS

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ettin in the Playground

Bandits... racoons named 'Bandit'... trash panda bandits...

Two dozen trash pandas rampage through your camp at night taking all your food.

Awakened trash pandas in the trees shouting and throwing rotten fruit.

Mars Needs Women! Alien bandits raid the roads to kidnap people for sundry uses. Bonus points for replacing them with imperfect duplicates.

Time bandits! People with kleptomania are going backwards through time stealing your stuff before you get it. The PCs keep meeting weird shady folk with sweet gear. As things progress the PCs find that gear as loot but right after they show or sell it they don't have it (or the money the remember selling it for) and you keep telling them that they both do and do not remember looting the stuff. The longer this goes on the less sweet gear the time bandits have.

The Bandits of Penzance! Local noble kids are playing bandit but refuse to prey on orphans. Locals all know this and claim orphan status every time they show up. Its all harmless fun until someone murders a bunch of teenage nobility with powerful relatives.

Whats the difference? Small groups of monsterous bandits with powerful magic and items are invading people's homes, killing everyone, taking everything valuabe, and running off. They aren't affiliated with any of the other monster settlements or civilizations, they don't need anything or have any big goals, they just murder-hobo through a town one night and run off to sell their loot somewhere else. They never hit any place too tough for them to take if they can help it and teleport away if they encounter stiff resistance.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGirl

My long running has several instances of "Bandits, and the local powers that be sanction them, and as you are on good terms with those powers, they have orders to offer you shelter and information about the traffic on the road".
    "We were once so close to heaven, Peter came out and gave us medals declaring us 'The nicest of the damned'.."
    - They Might Be Giants, "Road Movie To Berlin"

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

Bandits but they understand that you don't have enough valuables to be worth the risk of fighting you.

There's a story about this with some first time d&d players expecting bandits to be crazed suicide goblins like in Skyrim. So when they found a bunch of sketchy cuthroats by the side of the road surrounded by crates of loot they didn't put two and two together, sat down with them and asked if they saw any bandits. How the story ends depends on who's telling it, but my favorite is that the bandits very obviously direct them to a rope bridge over a nearby chasm saying "yeah, they went that way" they follow to see them on their way then cut the rope. Because obviously that's what they do.

Another ending had it so the party wanders off saying "well they didn't see anything and we have no leads. what are we supposed to do?" as the DM tries to lay it on thicker and thicker that the guys they just spoke to ARE in fact the bandits that they are looking for and aren't getting the hint.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Beelzebub1111 View Post
    Bandits but they understand that you don't have enough valuables to be worth the risk of fighting you.
    Or are just way too dangerous looking to be a valid target.

There's a story about this with some first time d&d players expecting bandits to be crazed suicide goblins like in Skyrim. So when they found a bunch of sketchy cuthroats by the side of the road surrounded by crates of loot they didn't put two and two together, sat down with them and asked if they saw any bandits. How the story ends depends on who's telling it, but my favorite is that the bandits very obviously direct them to a rope bridge over a nearby chasm saying "yeah, they went that way" they follow to see them on their way then cut the rope. Because obviously that's what they do.

Another ending had it so the party wanders off saying "well they didn't see anything and we have no leads. what are we supposed to do?" as the DM tries to lay it on thicker and thicker that the guys they just spoke to ARE in fact the bandits that they are looking for and aren't getting the hint.
    Yeah. I've seen some pretty hillarious player actions/choices when GMs actually play bandits (pretty much any "enemy NPCs") as real people instead of cardboard cutouts. Some players (especially those newer to RPGs, or who have played CRPGs mostly) just seem to expect that NPCs will have some kind of obvious flag or banner hanging over their heads telling the players who/what they are. And they can become incredibly confused when this isn't present. They expect that if they encounter bandits, the bandits will automatically/suicidally attack them and try to steal their stuff "cause they're bandits!". So, yeah, encountering them, hanging out but otherwise acting like normal NPCs, with some stuff on them (stolen stuff, but unless that's also labeled in some way, how would they know?), but with no immediate intention of just blindliy attacking the party doesn't provide the party with the direct clues they need.

And this can be difficult to even frustrating as a GM as you do try to point out the clues that are there, while trying to avoid the "suicidal/stupid NPCs" trap. When I run a campaign, I always like to start it out with some "in town" stuff, just to get a feel for the PCs capabilities, but also to help potential new players up their own skills in terms of understanding that NPCs will act like real people, and that they'll need to use their own noggins to figure out who is doing what, using methods other than waiting for the NPCS to announce themselves in some obvious way.

I think this can be perpetuated a bit by GMs who also view bandits (again, any enemy NPCs) merely through the lens of the intended encounter, but not actually considering what the bandits are doing, and why. Bandits want to steal stuff and get away with it. If you were a bandit, and you had a choice of different targets travelling along a stretch of road, and one was a couple of wagons, seemingly full of valuables, with a merchant riding up front and a few rent-a-guards walking along *or* a group of 4-6 people, no wagons in sight, most carrying large and/or exotic weapons, some wearing expensive/fancy armor, some fancy looking robes and/or floppy hats and/or carrying intimidating looking staves with mystifcal symbols carved on them, possibly with exotic wild animals walking along with them, which would you attack?

Not really much of a contest, right? Yet... shockingly, many adventuring parties will literally walk along, making no attempt to disquise themselves to look like anything other than a powerful adventuring party, and then expect bandits to just come out of the woodwork and attack them. And yeah, unfortunately, many GMs will support this by actually having bandits attack such a group.

Now, if this is less "bandits" and more "raiders attacking the kings guards in preparation for a larger attack" or something similar, then we might be able to rationalize such attacks. They maybe want to take out that group of adventurers who are perhaps traveling in the direction of their own bosses, and hope to use surprise to harm/kill/capture them. But there has to be some similar type of motivation for this. If it's just "make money via theft", then a group of PCs is the last type of group that would be hit.

I think the funniest "bandit encounter" we ran into in a campaign ages ago, was one in which we never actually encountered the bandits at all. There were bandits in some hills we were traveling through. These bandits had set up a series of traps on the small road we were walking along. There was a pit trap in one spot, and another was a trip line with logs that would roll down the hillsides. These were designed to block up wagons and disrupt defenders, so the bandits could attack. Of course, our highly powerful party spotted and disabled these traps (and then nullified them so they wouldn't be a hazards to the next folks coming along), so quickly and effectively, that the bandits just kinda sat back and let us walk right on by. They literally wanted nothing to do with our group. The GM actually just told us later on, well past this point in the adventure, that "remember those traps you guys ran into on the road? Well....".

It was a great way to build the environment, and show that there are things in the world, but not all of them are threats to the PCs, and many of those things are simply going to avoid dealing with the PCs for that exact reason. And did so in a way that took very little actual table time.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ettin in the Playground

O
    Not really much of a contest, right? Yet... shockingly, many adventuring parties will literally walk along, making no attempt to disquise themselves to look like anything other than a powerful adventuring party, and then expect bandits to just come out of the woodwork and attack them. And yeah, unfortunately, many GMs will support this by actually having bandits attack such a group.

Now, if this is less "bandits" and more "raiders attacking the kings guards in preparation for a larger attack" or something similar, then we might be able to rationalize such attacks. They maybe want to take out that group of adventurers who are perhaps traveling in the direction of their own bosses, and hope to use surprise to harm/kill/capture them. But there has to be some similar type of motivation for this. If it's just "make money via theft", then a group of PCs is the last type of group that would be hit.
    My counter to this is that PC parties tend to have really nice stuff, generally the kind that is really easy to dispose of compared to the sort of bulk goods you get from looting a wagon train. A strong enough bandit group might easily see a PC group as a high-risk high-reward thing.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Gnoman View Post
    My counter to this is that PC parties tend to have really nice stuff, generally the kind that is really easy to dispose of compared to the sort of bulk goods you get from looting a wagon train. A strong enough bandit group might easily see a PC group as a high-risk high-reward thing.
    Counterpoint: Commodities are always needed for an organization who lives outside of legal bounds. Tax collectors and merchants are guaranteed to have liquid assets on them to get supplies without need for a fence. A magic sword is nice, but you can't eat it, it doesn't divide easily as a share, and probably isn't worth the time to fence for liquidity to feed your men, nor the risk it would take in acquiring it. Banditry is a business and adventurers are kind of worthless to suit the business's needs.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

Imp

Counterpoint: Commodities are always needed for an organization who lives outside of legal bounds. Tax collectors and merchants are guaranteed to have liquid assets on them to get supplies without need for a fence. A magic sword is nice, but you can't eat it, it doesn't divide easily as a share, and probably isn't worth the time to fence for liquidity to feed your men, nor the risk it would take in acquiring it. Banditry is a business and adventurers are kind of worthless to suit the business's needs.
    Acquiring a magic sword can make intimidating much eadier, and it makes fighting those against whom intimidation doesn't work easier too. To say nothing of the other magic items that can go from "useless and hard to fence" to "directly take the bandit business to new heights".

Furthermore, adventurers tend to have either a lot of supplies bandits will appreciate, or cash/precious items.

Fighting a group they identify as adventurers will always be considered risky by bandits (unless they're extremely overconfident), but a lot of things can make people take risks even when rationally it'd be better not to.

It reminds me of the Bandit Tarken, in the French "Donjon de Naheulbeuk" franchise. He and his men try to rob a group of adventurers, with Tarken showing himself to threaten the group while his minions stay hidden and ready to attack. The adventurers end up arguing and wondering if that Tarken guy isn't bluffing about having minions. It ends up annoying the group's Ranger enough that he tells Tarken he can beat the bandit himself, prompting the always-eager-to-show-off Tarken to go "so you want to handle that by a duel? Fine by me!", making the rest of the bandits, who are not that bright and confused by this turn of event, not react when the adventurers send their Ogre buddy to duel Tarken rather than the Ranger. Tarken's last words end up being "wait, that's not what we had...".

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

Acquiring a magic sword can make intimidating much eadier, and it makes fighting those against whom intimidation doesn't work easier too. To say nothing of the other magic items that can go from "useless and hard to fence" to "directly take the bandit business to new heights".

Furthermore, adventurers tend to have either a lot of supplies bandits will appreciate, or cash/precious items.
    I am going to have to disagree here on both counts. Magic swords are great for fighting monsters, not for raiding caravans which normal swords and traps work just fine for the purposes. An adventuring party might have a few precious gems on them or if you're lucky a bag of holding with their life savings. but you would have to think that's not worth the risk unless you can absolutely confirm that before attacking them.

Consider otherwise, a merchant is guaranteed to have commodities and liquidity. A travelling noble you can ransom for a fortune to make it worth the risk. Adventurers are a big question mark when it comes to reward and risk unless you do your research on them beforehand and you know what they have and they have something you want.

Fighting a group they identify as adventurers will always be considered risky by bandits (unless they're extremely overconfident), but a lot of things can make people take risks even when rationally it'd be better not to.
    People are mostly rational. Successful bandits, doubly so. Taking minimal risk for maximal reward is what banditry is all about.