New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Unique and Fun builds for 3.5

It's mildly dorky, but there's a way to play Llyan from The Chronicles of Prydain. Pick your race as Tibbit. Then choose two levels in a full-bab base class. I prefer Ftr1/Barb1. Then qualify for Stoneblessed (Goliath). By level 3, you count as a Goliath for racial prerequisites.

Now retrain your Barb1 level to use the Goliath Barbarian racial substitution level. Pick up Mountain Rage. Now when you rage, you gain +6 Strength and become a Large creature. You are now playing Llyan.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Bugbear in the Playground

RangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Lorddenorstrus View Post
    That's the thing 3.5... has just so many options it's impossible to think of and keep track of them all. Can do pretty much anything.
    That's what makes 3ish edition awesome...I'm not on the 5th edition board much but I notice the numbers of posts and this one has way more far and away.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Ogre in the Playground

"Binger" - Monk 2 / Warblade 4 (going drunken master). Cobra strike variant. Lion Tribe warrior, mage slayer. Charges, punches, drinks.
    If I could play dungeons & dragons with only four books: MM I, DMG, PHB, & ToB
    Dragon Shaman Handbook. Fighter Fix.
    Camel's Handbook

4. - Top - End - #34
    Orc in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

I had a crazy cat lady build.
    Mongrel Folk Druid 1/wizard 1/Sorc 1/Totemist 2/Beastmaster 10
    Pertinent feats: wild companion, share soulmeld

The wizard and Sorcerer levels sub out their familiar for animal companions. Wild companion basically gives you another. In a nutshell, this build will give you up to 8 animal companions. You use share soulmeld, with the Manticore Belt bound to their totem Chakra. Maxed out, you will be able to fire off 72 spines a round. That is maxed out, but the combo is engaged at level 5, with 4 cats. Between them and you, that is at least 10 possible d6 damage attacks.

Mongrelfolk wasn't integral to the build, but drives home the crazy cat lady aesthetic.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Wildstag View Post
    It's mildly dorky, but there's a way to play Llyan from The Chronicles of Prydain. Pick your race as Tibbit. Then choose two levels in a full-bab base class. I prefer Ftr1/Barb1. Then qualify for Stoneblessed (Goliath). By level 3, you count as a Goliath for racial prerequisites.

Now retrain your Barb1 level to use the Goliath Barbarian racial substitution level. Pick up Mountain Rage. Now when you rage, you gain +6 Strength and become a Large creature. You are now playing Llyan.
    Since the tibbit explicitly takes a "-8 penalty to Strength" upon transforming, soulborn 2 can give you immunity to that if you're Chaotic Evil. Funny interaction.
    Last edited by Temotei; 2024-04-20 at 03:19 PM.
    Homebrew
    Please feel free to PM me any thoughts on my homebrew (or comment in the thread if it's not too old).

6. - Top - End - #36
    Ogre in the Playground

Artificer 1/Kaorti 2/LA +2/Fiend of Possession 2/Artificer +4 has funny uses with the Web Enhancement that defines Kaorti ribbon weapons as a special material. Because it allows you to replace the normal GP cost of making Masterwork weapons and armor with 50% the market price in XP, and go down to 35% the base cost at 1 XP=5 GP as a replacement Magic Item crafting procedure. This means that when Retain Essence destroys anything made this way, you get back everything you spent on the base item and lose 65% less GP on the magic.

The ordering here is not-quite-RAW backstory abuse of Vile Transformation to have the Kaorti RHD fulfil the Fiend of Possession skill requirements for a clean early entry. At-will Etherealness at ECL 6 is lovely, free floating enhancements are great even at +2, Bestow Curse on contact may function as an on-hit effect, and hiding yourself in one of your items lets your cheap-to-change arsenal be carried through a lot of things. Artificer +8 gets you to CL 15 item requirements like 8th level spells and making them Intelligent, with LA buyoff letting you also reach FoP 5.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Barbarian in the Playground

RogueGuy

A build i want to try is to do Sorcerer 5, Fighter 5, Spell Sword 10. Mostly I just want casting on a guy in full plate for some utility stuff. Is this a great build? no. I figure it would function well enough for premade adventures or low op campaigns though.
    the first half of the meaning of life is that there isn't one.