New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131415 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #361
    Titan in the Playground

Imp

Default Re: OOTS #1301 - The Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by danielxcutter View Post
    That reminds me actually, why was Girard's corpse there? They had like a dozen sorcerers, they probably could have given him a better tomb than a glorified desk drawer.
    I mean, if fits the aesthetic of the building (which Girard likely favored), is somewhere people will likely have to go through several times a day, and got a statue of the man bigger than what many real-life monarchs can boast about.

2. - Top - End - #362
    Barbarian in the Playground

Putting the tomb of the glorious ancestor/cult founder, complete with bigger-than-life statue and murals, right in front of the cafeteria was probably a way to remind everyone of him and the mission he imparted, I guess? IRL, some kings and queens got their tomb right in the middle of the church's public ground, after all.

Girard was pretty hostile to gods and religion, so "sacred grounds" and mausoleums wouldn't have meant much for him and his family. Putting the memorial where everybody could see and visit it probably felt right for his clan.

As an example, here is king Richard Lionheart's tomb, right next to his mother's :

Spoiler
    Show
    Last edited by Kardwill; 2024-04-23 at 06:31 AM.

3. - Top - End - #363
    Titan in the Playground

And I suppose that when the clan was still alive intruders wouldn't exactly have much of a chance to find the corpse and piss on it or whatever.
    Cool elan Illithid Slayer by linkele.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt
    We also have a TvTropes page!

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    I could write a lengthy explanation, but honestly just what danielxcutter said.
    Extended sig here.

4. - Top - End - #364
    Bugbear in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Seeing as Bloodfeasts weight was enough to down Calder from flying, as it safe to assume the next strip will have an ignominious end to the big-talking dragon, crushed to death under Allosaur buttmeat?

5. - Top - End - #365

Quote Originally Posted by Riftwolf View Post
    Seeing as Bloodfeasts weight was enough to down Calder from flying, as it safe to assume the next strip will have an ignominious end to the big-talking dragon, crushed to death under Allosaur buttmeat?
    They look like they are about the same weight, and the dino will probably fall off his mouth, so I'd say it's unlikely?
    But Calder is having a really bad, undignified day. ^^

6. - Top - End - #366
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Coppercloud View Post
    Nitpick: I think Tarquin's plan was more "If I can control the area where the Gate is located, I decide who gets access to it and can prevent anyone from using it against my interests. I will study it, destroy it if it proves a threat, or sell it to the highest bidder depending on what the casters I learn. Maybe I can get that sub-boss Zyklon that my son is so worried about to become my minion ; if I play my cards right I could convince Elan that he's secretly been working for me since the very beginning!"
    Also, it was a ploy to save Nale from Malack and keep both working under him. Not that it worked out for either of them at the end.
    I'll note the absence of any plan of Tarquin's involving "hold the gods hostage to the snarl".

So you are concurring with my position that the nobles of Azure City, if they knew of the gates existence, may have expended resources, engaged in violence, or used other means to control the gate, despite not having any intention to use it to hold the gods hostage? My position doesn't rest at all on what someone might want control of the gate for exactly, only that it's still something worth fighting for, despite those fighting over it having no intentions to use it in a way which might end the world.

I was responding to several posts in this thread which argued that since the Azure City nobles wouldn't want to risk ending the world by threatening the gods with the snarl, they therefore would have no interest in controlling or fighting over the gate. Clearly, that assumption is false.

Quote Originally Posted by Kardwill View Post
    Putting the tomb of the glorious ancestor/cult founder, complete with bigger-than-life statue and murals, right in front of the cafeteria was probably a way to remind everyone of him and the mission he imparted, I guess? IRL, some kings and queens got their tomb right in the middle of the church's public ground, after all.

Girard was pretty hostile to gods and religion, so "sacred grounds" and mausoleums wouldn't have meant much for him and his family. Putting the memorial where everybody could see and visit it probably felt right for his clan.
    The entire building is a pyramid (ok, ziggurat, whatever). So yeah. It seems totally appropriate to have his tomb be right there where everyone entering the building, or traveling from what looks like the living quarters for his family to the working/maze portion of the structure, had to walk right past.

7. - Top - End - #367

HalflingRogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Ruck View Post
    Girard died of old age long before they showed up; that wouldn't have been possible.
    Are we sure about that? We only know he was old when he died, but Dorukan too and he didn't die of old age.

8. - Top - End - #368
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by gbaji View Post
    I'll note the absence of any plan of Tarquin's involving "hold the gods hostage to the snarl".

So you are concurring with my position that the nobles of Azure City, if they knew of the gates existence, may have expended resources, engaged in violence, or used other means to control the gate, despite not having any intention to use it to hold the gods hostage? My position doesn't rest at all on what someone might want control of the gate for exactly, only that it's still something worth fighting for, despite those fighting over it having no intentions to use it in a way which might end the world.

I was responding to several posts in this thread which argued that since the Azure City nobles wouldn't want to risk ending the world by threatening the gods with the snarl, they therefore would have no interest in controlling or fighting over the gate. Clearly, that assumption is false.
    Oh, absolutely, hence why I said it was a nitpick
    It's just that the way you phrased it ("Tarquin thought he could control the gate") could imply that he was delusional about an ability to weaponize the Gate or Snarl.
    Also I might have wanted to requote Tarquin's assessment of "Zyklon" as a sub-boss that will hang around until the heroes show up to stop him because I think it's funny.
    On a fateful evening, I foolishly sworn myself to follow Xykon's updated speech rule ...thing. The twelve gods know that I regretted my decision ...since then ...multiple times.

9. - Top - End - #369
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Vikenlugaid View Post
    Are we sure about that? We only know he was old when he died, but Dorukan too and he didn't die of old age.
    Dorukan was the youngest of the Scribble.

What do you think, if not old age, was the cause of Girard's death?

10. - Top - End - #370
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

We saw his skeleton and thus can rule out death by snu-snu.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

11. - Top - End - #371
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    We saw his skeleton and thus can rule out death by snu-snu.
    On the other hand, snu-snu could explain the crumbly assbone.

12. - Top - End - #372
    Titan in the Playground

I must have missed those rules in the SRD.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Extended sig here.

13. - Top - End - #373

Someone found out Girard had been diddling their SO and poisoned his coffee?

That's about all I got for conjecture, inside a pyramid occupied by a cult of personality who would've instantly recognized any intruders. Cabin fever makes people do strange things.
    "Just a Sec Mate" avatar courtesy of Gengy. I'm often somewhere between it, and this gif. (^_~)
    Founding (and so far, only) member of the Greyview Appreciation Society
    "Only certainty in life: When icy jaws of death come, you will not have had enough treats. Nod. Get treat."

14. - Top - End - #374

DrowGuy

On the other hand, snu-snu could explain the crumbly assbone.
    He would have had quite the charisma score....

But yeah, I gotta go with old age. The comic may not have specified it but the scribblers were quite old even back at the start of the comic.
    "Thursdays. I could never get the hang of Thursdays."-Arthur Dent, The Hitchhiker's Guide

"I had a normal day once. It was a Thursday." -Will Bailey, The West Wing

Roy will be Xykon's Final Boss

15. - Top - End - #375
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah, the primary reason Serini hasn't died of old age by now is because halflings have a longer lifespan than humans on average.

Extended sig here.

16. - Top - End - #376
    Titan in the Playground

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by Provengreil View Post
    He would have had quite the charisma score....
    And a family history of dragon-human relationships.

17. - Top - End - #377

HalflingRogueGuy

Again, are we sure Dorukan was the youngest? He was just "the new guy".
    And Girard had the blood of his blackdragon grandfather, it's not unlikely that he would have aged slower.

The point is we don't know.

18. - Top - End - #378
    Titan in the Playground

Fairly sure that draconic heritage feats and the like don't extend lifespan, though.

Extended sig here.

19. - Top - End - #379
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Unoriginal View Post
    And a family history of dragon-human relationships.
    Why did the opening of Cat Scratch Fever just pop into my brain?
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

20. - Top - End - #380
    Titan in the Playground

Imp

I wanted to apologize, I was wrong earlier in the thread, Crayon!Dorukan does say that "only epic magic"can protect the Gates.

Guess he (or at least his perspective) did grow after the Scribble breakup, since that describes neither of the two dungeons we know he worked on.

21. - Top - End - #381

Quote Originally Posted by Unoriginal View Post
    I wanted to apologize, I was wrong earlier in the thread, Crayon!Dorukan does say that "only epic magic"can protect the Gates.

Guess he (or at least his perspective) did grow after the Scribble breakup, since that describes neither of the two dungeons we know he worked on.
    He and Soon were in the middle of a heated argument. People tend to talk in hyperbole and are not at their best when tempers flare. Even Epic-level people.

Quote Originally Posted by Provengreil View Post
    But yeah, I gotta go with old age. The comic may not have specified it but the scribblers were quite old even back at the start of the comic.
    Roy and Haley discussed that very subject in #846, including the fact that the skeleton looked like the corpse of a very old man, and that raising him was less likely to succeed than with the other family members.

22. - Top - End - #382
    Ettin in the Playground

Again, are we sure Dorukan was the youngest? He was just "the new guy".
    And Girard had the blood of his blackdragon grandfather, it's not unlikely that he would have aged slower.

The point is we don't know.
    And if you don't even have an alternate explanation, I'm going to go with what's most likely from everything we've seen from the evidence.

Dorukan also appears younger than Soon or Girard in Serini's diary-- or, at least, Soon's hair is starting to go gray and Dorukan's isn't-- and Serini also labels his picture "new kid." As far as human lifespans go, Dorukan was still alive after Soon and Girard both died of old age (apparently, by all evidence, although I suppose it's possible Soon had his throat slashed and Girard was pancaked by a drunk dump truck driver). So, yes, I think the evidence all strongly suggests that Dorukan was the youngest of the Scribble and that Soon and Girard both died of old age.

23. - Top - End - #383
    Firbolg in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by dctrue815 View Post
    Is it just me, or does anyone else kinda feel sorry for Calder? I mean, I'm not rooting for him, but I'm not rooting against him, either...
    Since he's set up a situation where either he dies or the Order does, I hope he dies swiftly and with as little pain as a D&D battle allows.
    This ... is my signature finishing move!

"It's never good when you make a fiend cringe" - MadGrady

According to some online quiz, I'm a 6th level TN Wizard. They didn't give me full XP for all the monsters I've defeated while daydreaming.
    http://easydamus.com/character.html

I am a Ranger Archetype: Gleaming Warden (thx to Ninja Prawn)

24. - Top - End - #384
    Halfling in the Playground

Beholder

Quote Originally Posted by Shining Wrath View Post
    Since he's set up a situation where either he dies or the Order does, I hope he dies swiftly and with as little pain as a D&D battle allows.
    Maybe not. I'm not rooting for Calder either, but the absolute absurdity of the situation with Bloodfeast has me wanting him to at least live long enough to complain to someone (Xykon?) about a lizard that kept turning into a dinosaur and then back into a lizard . Doesn't really seem like Calder's style though.

Maybe Bloodfeast distracts Calder enough for the order and crew to escape through a not-dinosaur-sized exit. We also should have the Paladins healing Sunny and, with Sunny's help, joining the fight soon...
    Last edited by alceryes; 2024-04-24 at 04:20 PM.

25. - Top - End - #385
    Halfling in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Bloodfeast is the absolute MVP of this fight.

Usually I would expect Belkar saying the thing about swallowing him whole as an intentional misdirect, as it'd be odd for him to not expect exactly what happened with Calder trying to chew up the lizard. But the more panicked eye expressions make me think maybe it was just an uncontrolled response.

26. - Top - End - #386

HalflingRogueGuy

And if you don't even have an alternate explanation, I'm going to go with what's most likely from everything we've seen from the evidence.

Dorukan also appears younger than Soon or Girard in Serini's diary-- or, at least, Soon's hair is starting to go gray and Dorukan's isn't-- and Serini also labels his picture "new kid." As far as human lifespans go, Dorukan was still alive after Soon and Girard both died of old age (apparently, by all evidence, although I suppose it's possible Soon had his throat slashed and Girard was pancaked by a drunk dump truck driver). So, yes, I think the evidence all strongly suggests that Dorukan was the youngest of the Scribble and that Soon and Girard both died of old age.
    Now that you mention Soon, something tells me that to be a ghost martyr you need to die like a martyr, that doesn't strike me as dying of old age.
    Maybe he even needed to go seppuku to activate that ritual.

And this is a big campaign world, who tells you that no other group of string adventurers tried to explore Girard's pyramid and old Girard died in the battle.
    Last edited by Vikenlugaid; 2024-04-25 at 03:23 PM.

27. - Top - End - #387
    Titan in the Playground

Well gee, if we get rid of all of the overthinking, where's the fun?

(I concur).
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

28. - Top - End - #388
    Ettin in the Playground

Now that you mention Soon, something tells me that to be a ghost martyr you need to die like a martyr, that doesn't strike me as dying of old age.
    Well, we have no evidence for that, but we do have evidence that when Soon was reaching an age where he expected to die soon, he handed over responsibility for the Sapphire Guard to the Lord of the City.

But, yeah, maybe he committed seppuku. They're both equally plausible.

And this is a big campaign world, who tells you that no other group of string adventurers tried to explore Girard's pyramid and old Girard died in the battle.
    Sure. And maybe he was, in fact, pancaked by a dump truck driver. They're both equally plausible to the possibility that he died of old age.

29. - Top - End - #389

Somehow I missed the part where Soon worshiped Thor. (0_o)
    "Just a Sec Mate" avatar courtesy of Gengy. I'm often somewhere between it, and this gif. (^_~)
    Founding (and so far, only) member of the Greyview Appreciation Society
    "Only certainty in life: When icy jaws of death come, you will not have had enough treats. Nod. Get treat."

30. - Top - End - #390
    Titan in the Playground

I expect that Soon, being an epic paladin who literally saved the world and devoted his entire life before and after that to fighting Evil, would probably wouldn't need to go down fighting like the others to qualify. The alignment's called Lawful Good, people, not Inflexible Stupid.

Extended sig here.