New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Does Weapon Finesse force you into Two Weapon Fighting?

A martial character in 3.5 needs to be able to hit the enemy (no point making many attacks if none of them land) and then damage the enemy (6 successful attacks dealing 1D4 each is unlikely to impress.

Damage is either generated with a high strength score (and usually a big two handed weapon and the power attack feat) or with some sort of extra source of damage like sneak attack, martial maneuvers or buff spells.

If you have a reliable source of extra damage then you don't need high strength or a big two handed weapon or power attack to reliably deal damage when you hit.
    If you don't need strength for damage then investing points in strength is a lot less attractive. Enter the weapon finesse feat, it let's you use dex for your to hit and combined with a source of extra damage let's you completely ignore strength and become a little more SAD.

Two weapon fighting is not a requirement in builds that use weapon finesse, although there is often some synergy between the two abilities. All you need to be functional as a martial character is the ability to hit CR appropriate enemies and deal significant damage to them when you do hit.
    I am rel.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Ogre in the Playground

Remember, taking Discipline Focus (Shadow Hand) as your Swordsage1 ability should get you weapon proficiency and Weapon Focus in Spiked Chain which is finessible. (Focus requires proficiency. That's how our game ruled it.)
    Quote Originally Posted by GPuzzle View Post
    And I do agree that the right answer to the magic/mundane problem is to make everyone badass.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    If you're of a philosophical bent, the powergamer is a great example of Heidegger's modern technological man, who treats a game's mechanics as a standing reserve of undifferentiated resources that are to be used for his goals.
    My Complete Tome of Battle Maneuver/Stance/Class Overhaul

Arseplomancy = Fanatic Tarrasque!

3. - Top - End - #33
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Endarire View Post
    Remember, taking Discipline Focus (Shadow Hand) as your Swordsage1 ability should get you weapon proficiency and Weapon Focus in Spiked Chain which is finessible. (Focus requires proficiency. That's how our game ruled it.)
    Focus requiring proficiency and focus granting proficiency are two very different things. There's a number of ways to get feats you don't qualify for, and there's nothing weird about a feature saying 'if you get spiked chain proficiency you get better at using it, until then no dice'.

If a 10 dex ranger gets Two-Weapon Fighting for free while wearing light armor, that doesn't miraculously make his dexterity rocket up to 15, now does it?
    Creator of the LA-assignment thread.

Entries have been posted for the newest round of Junkyard Wars. Are YOU the judge we need? And while you're there, vote for the next round!

Interested in judging a build competition on the 3.5 forums but not sure where to begin? Check out the judging handbook!

Extended signature!

4. - Top - End - #34
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Focus requiring proficiency and focus granting proficiency are two very different things. There's a number of ways to get feats you don't qualify for, and there's nothing weird about a feature saying 'if you get spiked chain proficiency you get better at using it, until then no dice'.

If a 10 dex ranger gets Two-Weapon Fighting for free while wearing light armor, that doesn't miraculously make his dexterity rocket up to 15, now does it?
    You are correct, although Discipline Focus also providing proficiency is a very common homebrew. I'm personally using the Weapon Groups optional rule, and consider that Discipline Focus adds a bonus, special weapon group with proficiency in all the weapons of the discipline.

Mind you, while we're talking homebrew, I also removed the spiked chain altogether from the game, replacing it with the kusari-gama for the Shadow Hand discipline.
    Spoiler
    Show

DM: At the end of the meal, the innkeeper is bringing you the cheese plate. Roll for initiative.
    PC: Excuse me, what?
    DM: I said, roll for initiative. They like their cheese really ripe in these parts. They have the ooze type.

"Excuse me, but... is it a GOOD or a BAD thing when the DM can't help bursting into laughter every time he hears the phrase 'level-appropriate encounter'? No, just curious..."

Extended signature