New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

MindFlayer

Default Best books for Lore

Hello,

What non-core books are excellent for getting to know better the D&D world? I read that the Manual of the Planes is an excellent reading. What else is? The Complete series is often brought up, but that's a lot of books to consider, and I don't think any of them is too important?

Thanks for your insight!

Edit: I don't mind hearing about books that belong to previous or subsequent editions! As long as you believe them to be very enriching and informative.
    Last edited by Pippin; 2024-04-11 at 02:17 PM.
    Have a look at my complete list of wizard spells, last updated 07/08/2015.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

Default Re: Best books for Lore

If you like the planes, most of the Planescape books from 2e are very good and expound on a lot that Manual of the Planes only describes superficially. Planescape books are also written in-character by people in the setting, making them entertaining to read, going deep into the lore and opening up the chance for contradictions and the narrators being wrong. I can especially recommend Planes of Chaos, Planes of Law, Planes of Conflict, The Inner Planes, On Hallowed Ground, Guide to the Astral and Guide to the Ethereal. A Player's Primer to the Outlands is also supposed to be very good, but I haven't had a chance to read it yet.

Amongst 3.5 books, I can also wholeheartedly recommend Fiendish Codex 1, which is the closest you'll get to a 3.5 Planescape book. Besides that, if you want lore, go for Lords of Madness, the Draconomicon, and maybe Libris Mortis and the Fiendish Codex 2, which are a bit more mediocre.

Unrecommendated is Warriors of Heaven, the worst book that was even produced for 2e AD&D. I am also not sure if the Complete books are the right thing for lore; especially the first four are alot heavier on the crunch side versus the fluff side. Especially Complete Psionics I would unrecommend, as it is a subpar book with subpar fluff and subpar mechanics.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

The Races of books are also another good one to get a better understanding of the different races. It goes over festivals and other stuff though nothing super deep.

4. - Top - End - #4

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by Tzardok View Post
    If you like the planes, most of the Planescape books from 2e are very good and expound on a lot that Manual of the Planes only describes superficially. Planescape books are also written in-character by people in the setting, making them entertaining to read, going deep into the lore and opening up the chance for contradictions and the narrators being wrong. I can especially recommend Planes of Chaos, Planes of Law, Planes of Conflict, The Inner Planes, On Hallowed Ground, Guide to the Astral and Guide to the Ethereal. A Player's Primer to the Outlands is also supposed to be very good, but I haven't had a chance to read it yet.

Amongst 3.5 books, I can also wholeheartedly recommend Fiendish Codex 1, which is the closest you'll get to a 3.5 Planescape book. Besides that, if you want lore, go for Lords of Madness, the Draconomicon, and maybe Libris Mortis and the Fiendish Codex 2, which are a bit more mediocre.

Unrecommendated is Warriors of Heaven, the worst book that was even produced for 2e AD&D. I am also not sure if the Complete books are the right thing for lore; especially the first four are alot heavier on the crunch side versus the fluff side. Especially Complete Psionics I would unrecommend, as it is a subpar book with subpar fluff and subpar mechanics.
    Thanks a lot for your reply! It turns out 2e books are quite expensive nowadays, but I'm sure I'll find some other way to read them o:)

Quote Originally Posted by liquidformat View Post
    The Races of books are also another good one to get a better understanding of the different races. It goes over festivals and other stuff though nothing super deep.
    Noted! Like the Races of Stone, where the Shadowcraft Mage lies? Do you have one book in mind in particular?

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

I don't want to seem like a naysayer, but I need to mention that Races of Stone (and to a lesser extent Races of the Wild) have this weird tendency to replace the established deities of the races they cover with suspiciously similiar substitutes, even though these new gods are never brought up again in any other publication. At the risk of sounding like a broken record, I'd recommend again a 2e book for elfen, dwarven and gnomish deites: Monster Mythology. It also covers a lot of other non-human deities and pantheons, like goblins, lizardfolk, fey, lycanthropes, orcs or giants, most of which are either completely ignored or only get an entry in tables in 3.x.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

I'm a huge fan of the Illithiad, personally, though portions of it has been retconned in 3rd or later editions.

Book of Vile Darkness/Book of Exalted Deeds are both useful.

Elder Evils has always been a ton of fun, though in my opinion, it doesn't really play nicely with the established lore of the game.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hall View Post
    There's a reason why we bap your nose, not crucify you, for thread necromancy.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Bugbear in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

The Eberron books are fairly entertaining.

Anything 2E; I'm partial to the Al-Qadim stuff myself. But from a general standpoint, the Monstrous Manual, Monster Mythology, and College of Wizardry are all entertaining.
    I have a blog; come see what I've created: https://thewhiteminotaur.wordpress.com/
    -The 2024 Character Creation Challenge (#charactercreationchallenge):
    https://thewhiteminotaur.wordpress.c...tionchallenge/

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

There are some great lore books for Eberron. In particular, I recommend:

Eberron Campaign Setting
    Player's Guide to Eberron
    Dragonmarked
    Secrets of Sarlona
    Secrets of Xen'drik
    Dragons of Eberron
    Sharn: City of Towers
    City of Stormreach
    Eberron: Rising from the Last War

9. - Top - End - #9
    Firbolg in the Playground

*The various campaign setting books ("Eberron Campaign Setting", "Dragonlance Campaign Setting" etc)
    *"Greyspace", "Realmspace", and "Krynnspace" (2e)
    *"Illithiad", "I, Tyrant" and "The Sea Devils" (2e)
    *"Planes of Law", "Planes of Chaos", and "Planes of Conflict" (2e)
    *"Fiendish Codex 1" and "Fiendish Codex 2" (3.5e)
    *Domains of Dread (2e)
    *Ravenloft Gazetter Vol1-5 (3e)
    *Book of Vile Darkness (3e)
    *"Concordance of Arcane Space" and "Lorebook of the Void" (2e)
    *Dragon Magazine #337, 338, 342, 348, 354, and any other one with a bio of a god or archfiend
    *Deities and Demigods
    *Darklords (2e)
    *Petty Gods Revised and Expanded Edition (third-party publication with unofficial but very fun lore)
    Last edited by Bohandas; 2024-04-14 at 11:18 AM.
    "If you want to understand biology don't think about vibrant throbbing gels and oozes, think about information technology" -Richard Dawkins

Omegaupdate Forum

WoTC Forums Archive + Indexing Projext

PostImage, a free and sensible alternative to Photobucket

Temple+ Modding Project for Atari's Temple of Elemental Evil

Morrus' RPG Forum (EN World v2)

10. - Top - End - #10
    Orc in the Playground

MindFlayer

Drow of the Underdark is particularly good quality for 3.5 ed. Tome of Magic is better for lore than crunch.

From 2nd ed. I rate Faces of Evil: the Fiends and Hellbound: the Blood War

For 3rd party stuff Green Ronin's Armies of the Abyss and Legions of Hell are pretty solid. Mongoose Publishing's Slayer's Guide to Orcs is decent too.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

My favorite are the monstrous books : Libris Mortis, Lords of Madness, Draconomicon, Fiendish Codexes and Races of the Dragon. A lot of info on the current environment of the D&D world.
    Obviously Planescape (and Manual of the Planes) for the Wheel, and Lost Empires of Faerun for Netheril and everything that surrounds the "good old days".
    Resurrecting the Negative LA thread, comments and discussion are very welcome!

Do you want to build monstrous characters with reasonable LA? Join the Monster Mash! Currently, round XII: One-Punch Monster!!! Come judge single-strike entries!
    Nice find! Have a cookie!
    Searchable spreadsheet of 3.5 monsters by abilities, now with all online monsters

Quote Originally Posted by H_H_F_F View Post
    3.5 allows you to optimize into godhood, yes, but far more importantly, it lets you optimize weak, weird, and niche options into relevance.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Try novels instead of sourcebooks too.

Everything starting with Quag Keep from Andre Norton, through Dragonlance, Drizzt, Darksun, Gygax's own Gord books, etc.

And a lot of the 1e modules have great stuff in them as backstory. Temple of Elemental Evil, etc.
    Last edited by Elkad; 2024-04-15 at 12:43 PM.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Troacctid View Post
    There are some great lore books for Eberron. In particular, I recommend:

Eberron Campaign Setting
    Dragonmarked
    Secrets of Sarlona
    Secrets of Xen'drik
    Dragons of Eberron
    City of Stormreach
    Eberron: Rising from the Last War
    If we're including 5e books, I MUST recommend the two made by Keith Baker:
    Exploring Eberron and Chronicles of Eberron. For both lore and mechanics content. They're just aces.

My list for the 3e Eberron book recommendations is a little different in priority.
    Eberron Campaign Setting
    Dragonmarked
    Five Nations
    These 5 are the best of the lore you can get. And good mechanics, too.

Faiths of Eberron
    Magic of Eberron

These are decent, but some of the options are a little odd.

Secrets of Xen'drik
    City of Stormreach
    Secrets of Sarlona
    Dragons of Eberron

These I only recommend if you're running a Campaign to Xen'drik, Sarlona, or Argonnesson, respectively. The Sarlona one, in particular, shakes up a lot of what lore is known about that continent.

Forge of War

This book has a LOT on information about the Last War, including timelines. HOWEVER, some things don't match up with previously published material, and Keith Baker was not involved with this book at all. So while there is a lot of lore, take it with a grain of salt if it seems to conflict.

Finally:
    Explorer's Handbook

This book is almost exclusively about traveling in Eberron. It's actually a very useful resource for the logistics of travel. But it's very boring.
    Red Mage avatar by Aedilred.

Where do you fit in? (link fixed)

RedMage Prestige Class!

Best advice I've ever heard one DM give another:
    "Remember that it is both a game and a story. If the two conflict, err on the side of cool, your players will thank you for it."

Second Eternal Foe of the Draconic Lord, battling him across the multiverse in whatever shapes and forms he may take.

14. - Top - End - #14

MindFlayer

Thank you everyone for your advice, I'm making a list out of your posts! I too think Eberron is a great setting!

But before I get to Eberron, I've started to read the Guide to the Ethereal Plane (2e). I *cough* found it in a store and bought it *cough*. And I've been wondering: does the Ethereal Plane in 2e work the same as in 3e? I'm reading things about the Border and the Deep, and I never thought it was that complicated in 3e.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

The Deep Ethereal gets explained in the Manual of the Planes, yes. Other works sometimes reference it, though I'm not sure they actually use the term.

But in general, 3.x doesn't spend as much thought on the Deep Ethereal and pretends that there is only the Border. That is because in 2e, the Ethereal is the plane that connects the Material and the Inner Planes, a function that the Astral took over in 3.x (in 2e, the Astral only connected the Material and the Outer Planes).
    In short, the 3.x Ethereal is vestigial. It doesn't go anywhere, so it's paid less attention to.