New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default What exactly is an Unattended Object?

Update: It appears that "Unattended Object" stopped being used in the move from 3.5e -> 5E, and thus there does not exist a specific definition for it within 5E rules.

----

So, I'm looking for an exact definition that covers niche corner cases - or a confirmation that there IS no exact definition that covers corner cases.

Let's say a PC has an ability to disintegrate 5 cubic feet worth of Unattended, Non-Magical objects, within 120ft, as a reaction X times/short rest. Let's further say they can choose to partially disintegrate the objects, such as dissolving a 5x5x5 subsection of the floor or removing the hinges from the door. Restricted to targets they can see, as usual.

With that in mind...

------------

Can the PC disintegrate an ordinary arrow mid-flight? What if that arrow is a spike fired from a monster?

Can the PC disintegrate the floor right beneath an enemy?

Can the PC disintegrate the water another PC just fell into?

Could the PC disintegrate part of the ceiling in such a way as to drop a subsection of it on the enemy? I think this last one is a clear "yes".

------------

If there are any other weird corner cases that you can think of, by all means, add them to the question list.
    Last edited by Magikeeper; 2024-04-13 at 05:12 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: What exactly is an Unattended Object?

Quote Originally Posted by Magikeeper View Post
    So, I'm looking for an exact definition that covers niche corner cases - or a confirmation that there IS no exact definition that covers corner cases.

Let's say a PC has an ability to disintegrate 5 cubic feet worth of Unattended, Non-Magical objects, within 120ft, as a reaction X times/short rest. Let's further say they can choose to partially disintegrate the objects, such as dissolving a 5x5x5 subsection of the floor or removing the hinges from the door. Restricted to targets they can see, as usual.

With that in mind...

------------

Can the PC disintegrate an ordinary arrow mid-flight? What if that arrow is a spike fired from a monster?

Could the PC disintegrate part of the ceiling in such a way as to drop a subsection of it on the enemy? I think this last one is a clear "yes".

------------

If there are any other weird corner cases that you can think of, by all means, add them to the question list.
    I don't think there's exact RAW on this. Gotta use your best interpretation, and if clarity is needed, ask the DM (or make a decision, if you're the DM).

For me...

Arrow Mid-Flight
    I could go either way, but I'd 100% call for a check to properly destroy it if it was to be allowed.

Floor
    Yes.

Water
    Does water count as an object? I'd say no-but if you do count it as an object, then I see no reason you wouldn't be able to.

Ceiling
    Yes, though I'd probably require an Intelligence check to determine how well they're able to judge the architecture.
    I have a LOT of Homebrew!

Spoiler: Former Avatars
    Show
    Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Linkele
    Show

Spoiler: Individual Avatar Pics
    Show

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by Magikeeper View Post

With that in mind...

------------

------------

Yes to all of those. unattended objects are all objects that are not worn, carried or equipped by a creature.
    Black text is for sarcasm, also sincerity. You'll just have to read between the lines and infer from context like an animal

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by Mastikator View Post
    Yes to all of those. unattended objects are all objects that are not worn, carried or equipped by a creature.
    I agree with your definition, but I have to point out that if the PC in OP's hypotheticals can or cannot disintegrate those tjings depends on hoe the Reaction's trigger works.

Like, a Reaction-based activation isn't just "you can do it whenever during someone else's turn", usually. There need to be some sort of condition met.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground

JNA: Quite reasonable!

-----

Mastikator: Is that specified anywhere? I agree that is a reasonable definition, and was my initial assumption as well, but is there a specific rule that can be pointed to that confirms that it is, indeed, the exact definition of an unattended object in 5E? I have not been able to locate it if so (for 5E, anyway).

-----

Quote Originally Posted by Unoriginal View Post
    Like, a Reaction-based activation isn't just "you can do it whenever during someone else's turn", usually. There need to be some sort of condition met.
    Usually, yes. That said, even if the ability were a regular action every question still applies (you could ready an action for the arrow, should it be a valid target).

Hrm. In looking for a non-homebrew example, I've realized that "unattended object" might not actually be used by any 5E spells or abilities. It was certainly used in 3.5, was the concept dropped? Fabricate is 'raw materials', shatter and true polymorph simply specifies nonmagical and 'not worn or carried' (holding an action to shatter an arrow appears to be viable), disintegrate has no restriction besides non-magical...

Doing a quick check... huh. There really aren't any instances of "unattended" in the player's handbook. Nor the DMG. Well. I should have just started with that. There clearly is NOT a RAW definition for unattended object.

I wonder why they removed that terminology. Well, probably for the very reasons this thread was created.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Orc in the Playground

Flumph

tongue Re: What exactly is an Unattended Object?

Oh my good man, it is quite obvious. An Unattended Object is simply put, an object lacking an attendant. Not a buttler, a page boy, a valet, a footman, not even a groom! It is one of the poors, a pleb, and as such a subject not talked about in good company.

Guffaw.

(Sorry, I was in the mood for nonsense)
    Chaos is I.
    Evil is Me.
    Good is Us.
    Law is We.