New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Default looking for a god (dnd)

is there any god that have the war domain that are like: i dont care what you do as long as you fight?
    Last edited by ominak; 2024-04-14 at 08:16 AM. Reason: fixed some grammer

2. - Top - End - #2
    Firbolg in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Default Re: looking for a god (dnd)

That's very much setting dependent.
    It's Eberron, not ebberon.
    It's not high magic, it's wide magic.
    And it's definitely not steampunk. The only time steam gets involved is when the fire and water elementals break loose.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by ominak View Post
    is there any god that have the war domain that are like: i dont care what you do as long as you fight?
    Depends what you mean by "I don't care what you do".

Like a god whose worship would fit an honorable rule-following do-gooder just as much as a depraved mass-murdering jerk, just because they both value fighting?

4. - Top - End - #4
    Spamalot in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JackPhoenix View Post
    That's very much setting dependent.
    This is true so here's some settings OP:

Faerun - Garagos seems to fit this
    Golarion - Gorum works here
    Krynn - Sargonnas has the War domain I think
    Eberron - The Fury seems closest to this
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground

You could make a god. Or take an existing god of war and say that's how they are.
    Your campaign, your world, your rules. :)
    Need a character origin written? Enjoyed what I wrote? How can you help me? Not required, but appreciated! <3

Check out my 5e The Secret of Havenfall Manor or my character back stories over at DMsGuild.com! (If you check it out - please rate, comment, and tell others!)

Subscribe to my D&D Channel on Youtube! (Come by and Sub)

6. - Top - End - #6
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Kingdoms of Kalamar, the Way of the Berserk.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    This is true so here's some settings OP:

Faerun - Garagos seems to fit this
    Golarion - Gorum works here
    Krynn - Sargonnas has the War domain I think
    Eberron - The Fury seems closest to this
    Respectfully, Psyren, I disagree.

Faerun: Tempus fits better here. He values berserkers as well as cold tactics (Garagos is just the brutal savagery aspect). His one oddity is that he forbids his followers from harassing those of Eldath, goddess of peace, because he believes war is best highlighted and elevated by occasional (brief) periods of peace.

Wildly disagree on Eberron. The Fury is not a war deity. She is a deity of passion and emotion (and technically love). The Mockery is a war deity. And the Mockery most exemplifies the concept of victory over any other tenets of war. Some still worship him as Dol Azur, part of the Three Faces of War cult.
    Red Mage avatar by Aedilred.

Where do you fit in? (link fixed)

RedMage Prestige Class!

Best advice I've ever heard one DM give another:
    "Remember that it is both a game and a story. If the two conflict, err on the side of cool, your players will thank you for it."

Second Eternal Foe of the Draconic Lord, battling him across the multiverse in whatever shapes and forms he may take.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

If you use pantheons from Greek or Roman mythology, Ares or Mars fills the bill.
    Can be reskinned into almost any setting.

There was a Celtic mythos approximation a few editions back, which had a lady who was the war goddess and right now I can't seem to remember her name. Mabdah?
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

9. - Top - End - #9

Quote Originally Posted by RedMage125 View Post
    Wildly disagree on Eberron. The Fury is not a war deity. She is a deity of passion and emotion (and technically love). The Mockery is a war deity. And the Mockery most exemplifies the concept of victory over any other tenets of war. Some still worship him as Dol Azur, part of the Three Faces of War cult.
    The Fury has War domain in my PHB, not sure about yours.
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

10. - Top - End - #10
    Firbolg in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

They had to give her *something*, and there wasn't much to pick from. She's hardly the only deity with dubious domain choice.
    And it will be worse in D&Done, with only 4 domains and the old ones incompatible, but knowing WotC, they'll just omit the list entirely.
    It's Eberron, not ebberon.
    It's not high magic, it's wide magic.
    And it's definitely not steampunk. The only time steam gets involved is when the fire and water elementals break loose.

11. - Top - End - #11

Quote Originally Posted by JackPhoenix View Post
    They had to give her *something*,
    Not really my problem.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

Both The Fury and The Mockery have war domains.
    The fury is about passion, revenge, rage, despair.
    The mockery is about treachery and terror, and victory through guile.

Both sorta fit, IMO Ms Fury is more of a barbarian/paladin(vengeance) themed and Mr Mockery is more assassin/fighter/paladin(conquest) theme.

The OP knows more details about their character, only they know which is a better fit.
    Black text is for sarcasm, also sincerity. You'll just have to read between the lines and infer from context like an animal

13. - Top - End - #13
    Orc in the Playground

Not really my problem.
    You sort of made it your 'problem' when in essence you are defending what the PHB states.
    People are not denying what is written in the PHB, those people are saying what is written in the PHB does not fit the personage being discussed.

Your comment about what is in the PHB, seems to be a snarky comment about the PHB being correct, and others being wrong.

This is where you, Psyren, will often respond that a DM is free to make whatever changes they wish to lore and details. (which is not incorrect)

This cycle plays out over and over again. You are a master at being snarky, and not touching the board conduct tripwires, (tip of the hat to you).

I am not familiar enough with the Fury, to have a useful opinion either way. Would you be willing Psyren, to post an argument in this thread about why the PHB is correct and the others in this thread are wrong?
    Or is that not your position at all?
    Last edited by Blatant Beast; 2024-04-18 at 10:02 AM.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    If you use pantheons from Greek or Roman mythology, Ares or Mars fills the bill.
    Can be reskinned into almost any setting.
    Heck, the Greek pantheon is part of Planescape, so you may not even need to reskin. Ares is a better fit here, for what it's worth; there are a bunch of differences between the Greek Ares and the Roman Mars. Mars is a protector deity, father of the people, and a bringer of war to secure peace and prosperity (Romans were big on not doing wars of conquest, which basically meant finding increasingly convoluted ways to cast their wars of conquest as defensive conflicts. Some thing never change!). In the Roman tradition, Mars is almost more akin to the aspects of Athena concerned with warfare and strategy. Ares is ravening, brutal, concerned with the physical elements of warfare. He's probably more like what the OP is looking for, though he might be a little too evil if OP wants something more like battle as a morally-neutral Platonic concept than battle as murder for glory and feeling the blood splash on your helmet as you tear the spear from your foe and grind him into the dust.

Other Greek options, if that pantheon is on the table, are Pallas and his daughter Bia, or Agon. Pallas was a Titan who is associated with warcraft. Bia is the personification of force or might, and is basically a blank slate; you can do whatever you want with her. Her only mythological depiction is in the binding of Prometheus. Agon was maybe more of a concept than a deity, but is the spirit of striving in conflict and seeking victory -- there was a statue to Agon at Olympia for the Olympic Games, and it's where the words protagonist and antagonist come from. Agon isn't associated with war, but I don't think you'd be going too far to ask for its worship to include the war domain.
    In-character problems require in-character solutions. Out-of-character problems require out-of-character solutions.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by QuickLyRaiNbow View Post
    Spoiler: Bia, Agon, Etc
    Show
    Heck, the Greek pantheon is part of Planescape, so you may not even need to reskin. Ares is a better fit here, for what it's worth; there are a bunch of differences between the Greek Ares and the Roman Mars. Mars is a protector deity, father of the people, and a bringer of war to secure peace and prosperity (Romans were big on not doing wars of conquest, which basically meant finding increasingly convoluted ways to cast their wars of conquest as defensive conflicts. Some thing never change!). In the Roman tradition, Mars is almost more akin to the aspects of Athena concerned with warfare and strategy. Ares is ravening, brutal, concerned with the physical elements of warfare. He's probably more like what the OP is looking for, though he might be a little too evil if OP wants something more like battle as a morally-neutral Platonic concept than battle as murder for glory and feeling the blood splash on your helmet as you tear the spear from your foe and grind him into the dust.

Other Greek options, if that pantheon is on the table, are Pallas and his daughter Bia, or Agon. Pallas was a Titan who is associated with warcraft. Bia is the personification of force or might, and is basically a blank slate; you can do whatever you want with her. Her only mythological depiction is in the binding of Prometheus. Agon was maybe more of a concept than a deity, but is the spirit of striving in conflict and seeking victory -- there was a statue to Agon at Olympia for the Olympic Games, and it's where the words protagonist and antagonist come from. Agon isn't associated with war, but I don't think you'd be going too far to ask for its worship to include the war domain.
    Great follow up to my answer, thank you, I may borrow some of this.
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

Imp

If you want a DnD-lore deity, the 5e version of Kord could fit.

17. - Top - End - #17

Quote Originally Posted by Blatant Beast View Post
    You sort of made it your 'problem' when in essence you are defending what the PHB states.
    I'm not "defending" anything, I'm just stating what's there. Page 296. Argue with the ink, not me.

Quote Originally Posted by Mastikator View Post
    The OP knows more details about their character, only they know which is a better fit.
    Indeed, a much more sensible approach.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

18. - Top - End - #18
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

I'm not "defending" anything, I'm just stating what's there. Page 296. Argue with the ink, not me.
    Oh come off it. Dol Dorn and Dol Arrah are war gods too. You didn't recommend them. Why not?

Indeed, a much more sensible approach.
    Thanks
    Black text is for sarcasm, also sincerity. You'll just have to read between the lines and infer from context like an animal

19. - Top - End - #19

Quote Originally Posted by Mastikator View Post
    Oh come off it. Dol Dorn and Dol Arrah are war gods too. You didn't recommend them. Why not?
    You're asking why I didn't pick two Good deities for an "I don't care what you do" philosophy?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

They did have to giver her "something", and really none of the existing cleric domains are a perfect fit.

Even in Exploring Eberron, KB lists War as the suggested domain, and he has this to say about the Fury:
    Spoiler
    Show

The Fury is a silent whisper that can drive you to doubt or despair. She is reckless rage and all-consuming passion.
    Instinct is the voice of the Fury, guiding us when rational thought fails. And she is the Sovereign of revenge, promising vengeance to those willing to surrender to her. Her father the Devourer embodies the devastating power of the storm outside us; the Fury is the storm that rages within us, the wild emotions we fi ght to control.
    Devotees of the Fury generally follow one of two paths.
    Revelers believe that suppressing emotion causes anguish, and that people should embrace their emotions fully and act on impulse and instinct. They hold wild, ecstatic celebrations as a way for participants to throw of f the chains of civilization for a moment and experience life and emotion fully. A player character who follows this path might be a Berserker barbarian or a bard using the College of Glamour (from Xanathar’s Guide to Everything)—either embracing their own primal emotion or inspiring it in others. A sorcerer might attribute their power to wild emotion; they can only access their magic when they let the Fury guide them.
    The other path of the Fury is the road of revenge. People who have suf f ered grievously can call on the Fury to give them the will and strength to take vengeance into their own hands.
    Or rather than seeking revenge themselves, one tradition calls for someone who has been wronged to place a red candle in a window, inscribed with the name of their tormentor. This is an invitation for the Fury to take vengeance on their behalf.
    A player character following this path could be charged to investigate and fulf i ll these calls for revenge. While this could be the path of a cleric or paladin, it could just as easily suit an Assassin rogue, a bard of the College of Whispers, or a warlock.

So she's not a "deity of war" per se, but rushing headlong into conflict because of your passions is certainly part of her ethos.

Contrary wise, KB says this about The Mockery:
    Spoiler
    Show

Dol Arrah will show you how to fi ght with honor, Dol Dorn will grant you courage, and when you die, at least you’ll know you did so bravely and honorably. The Mockery will drag you through mud and blood, drive you to betray your principles and employ tactics that horrify your allies and enemies alike—but at the end of the day, you’ll be standing over the corpse of your foe. Which path will you follow?
    Those who despise the Dark Six condemn the Mockery as a villain, a monster who encourages cruel and treacherous behavior. This can be as simple as ambushing an enemy, using stealth instead of facing them openly. Or it can mean slaughtering innocents, torturing your foes, breaking a truce— anything to bring you victory. Those who embrace the path of the Mockery may say that such tactics are the only way to bring down a superior foe. Honor is a luxury for the strong; for those who are weak and oppressed, victory is all that truly matters.
    Others who follow the Mockery assert that the very idea of honor in war is delusional. Pain, terror, and death are the inevitable results of violence; at least those who follow the Mockery acknowledge the truth others deny. The assassin who kills without warning, the barbarian who sees mercy as a weakness, the pirate who cultivates a terrifying reputation—all these might view the Mockery as an ally. While this can be a dark path for a player character to follow, a hero could use the techniques of the Mockery in pursuit of a noble cause. A grim vigilante who uses stealth and fear to terrify cowardly criminals into changing their ways could be guided by the Mockery.

So by an in-depth knowledge of the tenets of the actual deities themselves, The Mockery is more the kind of deity that the OP asked for than the Fury is. And that was why I disagreed with you, Psyren.

You're asking why I didn't pick two Good deities for an "I don't care what you do" philosophy?
    Dol Dorn isn't ENTIRELY inappropriate, as shown by what is referred to in the EE quote about The Mockery, as he's the deity of "courage in battle" and not "honor in battle". So, as long as one is not behaving in a cowardly manner, "I don't care what ypu do" philosophy can sort of apply. But since there's caveats to that and not The Mockery, I still maintain that such is the best answer, or even being a part of the Three Faces of War cult, worshipping Dol Arrah, Dol Dorn, and Dol Azur (The Mockery).
    Spoiler
    Show

The Three Faces of War honors Dol Arrah, Dol Dorn, and Dol Azur (the Mockery). It was part of the united armies of Galifar, and cult chapters can be found in all of the armies of the Five Nations. Sect meetings provide a place for soldiers and veterans to interact as friends and equals, regardless of rank or nationality. The cult asserts that honor and courage are to be valued, but there is also a time and place for cunning and cruelty, even if it is never to be desired.
    Red Mage avatar by Aedilred.

Where do you fit in? (link fixed)

RedMage Prestige Class!

Best advice I've ever heard one DM give another:
    "Remember that it is both a game and a story. If the two conflict, err on the side of cool, your players will thank you for it."

Second Eternal Foe of the Draconic Lord, battling him across the multiverse in whatever shapes and forms he may take.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

The Mod Ogre: Can y'all just stop nitpicking every gorram thing? Not every discontinuity in a person's post needs 37,000 posts as you argue the definition of "cheese". I don't want to start warning for "pedantic douchebaggery", but some of y'all seem to want it.
    Last edited by LibraryOgre; 2024-04-19 at 12:46 PM.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.